When You Want Bryce Harper….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 15, 2019

…but you get Gerardo Parra and now are looking at Yangervis Solarte, it feels like another nail in this Winter coffin. Solarte would make sense, he can play all over the place, has a little pop—he might improve a bit coming back to the NL. I’d sign off on that pick up.

Anyone sick enough to watch the Rising Stars tonight? I actually like that game better than the All Star game. It’s fun to see all those youngsters out there ballin’. The All Star game is just a bunch of dudes flopping their cocks on the floor for a hoops style cock-off for the ages .

We have entered the dead zone of my sports world. No baseball. No NBA. No NFL. I actually checked to see if AAF fantasy was available at DK. It is not.

Did you see where Kaep got an offer to play in the AAF but he wanted 20 million? In a league where every player makes the same amount ($70K) this fucking guy wanted 20 mil. I support Kaep and his cause but I haven’t thought he’s wanted to play football for a few years now and that was the telltale sign right there…

1. Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 6:01 am

2. willedav said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:34 am

Harper like a lot of other hitters that would help Giants, especially in the OF is still out there unsigned.
    Solarte as a RH addition for IF depth would be great and maybe allow Giants to trade a certain LH IF.

A/S is unwatchable. Lot of good college ball on this weekend as conference races wind down.

Yesterday I saw a story on cbs site that said Astros had a Harper trade proposal with Nats, last year I guess.
    Before I had to chance to read it (at work) it was gone and now I can’t find it. ?

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:46 am

that trade offer from Houston was widely reported a couple of months back. I don’t believe who they offered was reported but I could be wrong. Wilco?

• wilcojoe said, on February 15, 2019 at 10:26 am

Yeah the Astros front office confirmed it yesterday.

• wilcojoe said, on February 15, 2019 at 10:26 am

The Astros didn’t divulge who they would have given up.

3. Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:48 am

Dude on KNBR this morning brought up a good point. Waiting to trade Bum at the break is pretty pointless because teams don’t offer much anymore for 3 months of a rental.

• Bozo said, on February 15, 2019 at 8:34 am

I think it depends on how desperate a team is to get a proven (including out of the pen) PO pitcher going down the stretch.
      Hey, the 2017 Nunez deadline trade got us Shaun Anderson, rated as one of our top prospects, who could join the rotation in 2019 or 2020. Plus, Greg Santos, a 20 yr old RHer with a live arm who’ll probably be in A ball this year. I loved Nunez and I still hope we keep Bum, but I have to think Bumgarner could bring back some pretty decent prospects if we had to deal him in July.

4. Macdog said, on February 15, 2019 at 8:32 am

Looks like Solarte’s coming to SF:

5. snarkk said, on February 15, 2019 at 8:57 am

The Zman is doing what he is supposed to do.
    Bringing in gradually a bunch of bodies to fill up this roster and AAA for a season of mix and match, up and down, and out. Facing the worst LT contracts situation in MLB, and a nearly bare minor league cupboard, that’s all he can do this year. And, do a first draft and sign international youngsters that can jump start the minor leagues into something helpful 3 years from now. This season is going to be really interesting, a whole new approach compared to the stolid former regime. Bochy needs to get with the program, or get outta the way. Let it roll…

6. Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 8:59 am

Solarte is aboard. Full steam ahead.

7. Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 9:01 am

We’ll have to see how all the chips fall with Bum. He’s going to have to rock it in the first half, something I doubt he’s going to do. But he could for sure.

8. Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 9:10 am

Remember, Anderson was not highly rated when he was dealt to us. My point with Bum is that as a rental he might bring one good prospect. I wouldn’t expect more. Certainly not as much as Baer will sign off on getting. He’d rather have him for 3 months than let him go and listen to fans bitch about it while the team toils in last place. If Zaidi can pull the trigger without Baer though, he’d do it for one stud prospect.

9. snarkk said, on February 15, 2019 at 9:12 am

Maybe someone has already linked this, but anyway, check this out from Pence…

• blade3colorado said, on February 15, 2019 at 11:56 am

Awesome letter to the fans by Hunter . . . If you get a chance Flappers, read it.

• djloo27 said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Magnificent!

10. sandog said, on February 15, 2019 at 9:38 am

I caught a good amount of Solarte’s act when he was with the Pads. He can play lots of positions, but none of them very well. He can hit, but my recollection is most of his damage coming from the left side. I also remember the Pads having issues with him not hustling at times and I remember Andy Green yanking him from a game one time for dogging it down the first base line on a ground out.
    Anyway, I’m ok with bringing him in, but I still want to see us grab someone with legit home run power. If not Harper—-Mark Reynolds, Gattis, Adam Jones.
    Throw me a freaking bone Z Man.

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 12:05 pm

That’s great local Intel, thx

11. blade3colorado said, on February 15, 2019 at 9:43 am

It’s intriguing that the Padres are having a second meeting with Machado, coupled with getting rid of Solarte, who plays 3rd, short, and 2nd. Hmm . . .

• blade3colorado said, on February 15, 2019 at 9:56 am

My bad – I had no idea that Solarte is once removed from the Pads and was playing for the Blue Jays.

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 10:15 am

Yes, a lot happened while you were gone last year 🤣🤣🤣

12. gianthead said, on February 15, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Gentry is 35 years old???? Perfect for the Giants…

• alleykat69 said, on February 15, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Why not? Although Gentry might be to young..

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 15, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Interesting chatter on the interwebs that Bryce Harper has made his decision and will announce tomorrow. Very well could be coming to YOUR San Francisco Giants.

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 2:30 pm

I am at 2% on that possibility, like the low-fat milk I buy.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 15, 2019 at 2:35 pm

I’m 50/50 on it.

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Wow!
        It would have to be Baer stepping in and wanting it to happen. It could be that the low turnout at the Giants Fest sent a shiver through the ownership group.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 15, 2019 at 2:44 pm

Be optimistic – nobody rises to low expectations.

• alleykat69 said, on February 15, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Lol 😂

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 2:49 pm

General Custer was optimistic before the Battle of Little Big Horn. Just sayin.’ 🙂

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 15, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Pretty confident going out on a limb and saying the situations aren’t analogous.

14. gianthead said, on February 15, 2019 at 3:30 pm

In terms of trading Bum and getting value back at the trade deadline, if the Yanks are in first or close to the Sox, and maybe they have a starter injured, they may very well go “all-in” to get Bum and take out the Red Sox. I think they would part with one top-tier prospect and maybe a good second tier prospect. We could land the guy Frazier I have been coveting….then bring Bum back as a free agent…

• djloo27 said, on February 15, 2019 at 3:52 pm

I think Frazier might still be dealing with concussion issues, GH…

• alleykat69 said, on February 15, 2019 at 3:57 pm

Down goes Frazier!!🥊

• gianthead said, on February 16, 2019 at 5:19 am

By trade deadline hope that is not an issue….

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Bum to the Yanks just seems like a perfect fit.

15. djloo27 said, on February 15, 2019 at 3:51 pm

Yangervis, Mickey and The Duke…

16. Flavor said, on February 15, 2019 at 4:22 pm

So at the Flap we are 2%–50%. I like that range…..

17. snarkk said, on February 15, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Kaep has settled his collusion suit with the NFL. Reid, too.
    I expect that was very, very expensive for the NFL. Very.
    Good for both players.
    I’m guessing Kaep got somewhere not far south of $80-90 million before lawyer’s cut.
    NFL owners wanted no part of a public adjudication of this. Jerruh did not want to be deposed, I’ll guess. Nor Prince Jed.
    Evidence consisting of Bortles, Keenum, Flacco and other stiffs starting in the league, and Kaep not even getting a clipboard sniff for 3 years? That would have been hard to counter by Goody Goodell…

18. willedav said, on February 15, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Long interview with Bum in chron. Says he came back too soon each of last 2 seasons to get back in rotation and help the team. Blames this for lost velo, although neither velo nor how often he uses fastball are big concern to him. He’s just a refreshing guy to listen to, whether he’s ultimately right or wrong.

19. willedav said, on February 15, 2019 at 6:58 pm

And trading Bum to the AL where he could only hit a few times a year, would be a crime.

20. djloo27 said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:09 pm

I think we’re about 20% to get Harper.
    Despite the denials, the Cubs wouldn’t shock me at all…

21. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Very difficult to relate to how these high-end job-seekers live their lives (Harper, Machado). How cool would it be to be sittin’ at home pondering which *company* to go work for with offers of $300mil on the table, instead of (my life) sweating out if even just one company will offer me enough to at least cover moving expenses and maybe some new clothes…..

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, the gap between our reality and their reality is so huge. It still blows my mind that Kershaw gets a million dollars per start.

• djloo27 said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:45 pm

I believe it’s entirely possible to have too much money and it can absolutely wreck your life…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Yeah, I agree. I certainly don’t need 300mil. 1mil would be fine. 🙂 But I wouldn’t mind not having to worry about it….

22. blade3colorado said, on February 15, 2019 at 7:49 pm

I never heard of this scout,Tommy ‘T-bone’ Giordano, 93, who just passed away. He worked until last season (71 years in the game of baseball), but was too ill too carry on this year. Fascinating story about him in ESPN. Rest in peace T-bone . . .

23. unca_chuck said, on February 15, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Anyone nicknamed T-bone has got to be righteous.

• djloo27 said, on February 15, 2019 at 8:12 pm

24. unca_chuck said, on February 15, 2019 at 8:08 pm

And I’m starting to believe in the Harper hype.

25. mrsprtdude said, on February 15, 2019 at 9:25 pm

From Grant B in the Athletic today..basically saying fans worry too much about money and the future. Get a guy that makes the games more fun to watch, and the rest will take care of itself..

“Barry Bonds was a superstar who signed a contract to join a bad team. The Giants were coming off a 72-90 season in 1992 — a game worse than the 2018 Giants — so it wasn’t a win-now contract for a win-now team. It was a team paying top dollar for an exciting and enjoyable player. Because fans want to watch those, it turns out.

This isn’t a perfect comparison, of course. Bryce Harper isn’t Barry Bonds. No, Harper has more home runs, walks, RBI and WAR than Bonds did when the Giants signed him as a free agent. Harper is also a year younger than Bonds was as a free agent. Harper has a better career OPS+, batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage than Bonds did back in 1992. Did we mention Harper was a year younger?”

Go get Harper! ( and give him some Juice:)