10 Years/310 Million?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 17, 2019

If those numbers are accurate it looks like Boras might have squeezed the Phillies for an additional 10 million, courtesy of the fake interest the Harper camp and Giants were showing each other.

In retrospect the writing was on the wall. Zaidi has been signing a boatload of shitty outfielders to minor league deals over the last 7 days. He knew what was up. I hope the Giants didn’t actually offer him anything. Did we hold on to even a shred of dignity in this phony chase?

Ok, I am sticking to my earlier promise and not giving a shit about this…

1. sandog said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:10 am

Devastating news, if true. I’m still holding out hope until official word comes down.
    Totally baffled by your take that you hope we didn’t even make an offer, but we all process our pain in different ways and this is going to a painful day to be a Giants fan if he is off the table.

• Flavor said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:40 am

i just meant, if Harper was never really considering the Giants then I hope we didn’t make an offer. And if the Phillies were already in the 300 million dollar range, a range we weren’t within a country mile of, I would rather no offer be made than one than got used to squeeze the Phillies for a few mil more.

2. sandog said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:16 am

@ Zum, yes there are other lousy QBs getting hired in the NFL, and that is where the kneeling issue comes in. Given a choice between the lousy QB who brings no baggage and the lousy QB who is going to create a media shitstorm and really piss off some of your players and fans, owners are going to choose the former every time.
    No Collusion Required.
    Again, I totally support Kaep kneeling and speaking his mind. Good for him. I’m just not surprised at all that no one wants to sign him.

• Flavor said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:22 am

Agree with you about Kap. Saying he’s better than terrible back ups in the league and then not considering the rest of the baggage is missing the point about why owners didn’t want this guy

3. Bozo said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:36 am

I’m just about on my last fuck to give. I tried to go fuck shopping but there’s no fucks left to buy. Though more fucks I’ve tried to get, I’m over my fuck budget and now I’m in fucking debt.
    Fuck it.

4. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 8:16 am

The Giants spent like drunken sailors the last few seasons, and bought things drunk people would buy. Zaidi isn’t going to fix this mess in one season. I can understand the frustration with Zaidi’s approach. But his goal isn’t just to build a playoff contender. His goal is to build a team that contends every season. An organization with quality depth to it.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 17, 2019 at 8:34 am

Somewhere Booby’s watching this offseason unfold and thinking to himself “I could sign a bunch of scrubs and retreads too. Why doesn’t Larry like me?”.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 9:11 am

To begin with, Melancon, Smarj, and Longo.

6. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 9:17 am

Harper had a 1.3 WAR last season. He brought 1.3 more wins to the Nats than a member of the Bowker Gang could have.

• Bozo said, on February 17, 2019 at 10:13 am

and Posey had a WAR of 2.9, so for an extra $20 mil he brought us 3 more wins than Hundley.

7. alleykat69 said, on February 17, 2019 at 9:26 am

Throw in Oshit,Okert&Law&Cueto ( though Cueto did give us a outstanding 1st year so he gets a pass and quite frankly I love the guy when he pitches, he’s fun with all his gyration moves on the mound)

8. willedav said, on February 17, 2019 at 9:58 am

Loo I remember Van Arsdales. Dick used to play for the Suns, in those great old purple unis with orange boiling sun on the hip. Tough kinda of stocky guard who used to battle Warriors and attack basket on drives. Tom I don’t much recall more of Eastern Conference guy I think.
    In looking up history of NBA guys from Bradley beside Hersey Hawkins, found Chet Walker and Levern Tart.

Once Harper signs, Zaidi is on the clock to complete moves he talked about being in the works for that would add front line player(s) to help the offense more than a Solarte. Cameron Maybin, ugh. On one of the teams he played for (Pads maybe) he used to wear #24, which just shouldn’t have been allowed by any clubhouse guy.

• Flavor said, on February 17, 2019 at 10:50 am

He’s got #5 now. Hey, with Parra, Solarte and Maybin THESE ARE THE MOVES, lol. It’s underwhelming, sure, but he’s filling out the roster—probably all we can expect at this point (at least for this year). Adam Jones makes no sense without Harper, too

9. Flavor said, on February 17, 2019 at 11:53 am

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 17, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Sheeeeat, sounds like he’s doing all the work. Give the Panda a corner office.

10. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Posey’s 2.9 WAR in 450 plate appearances is actually pretty good. Not great, but certainly respectable on a bad hip.

11. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 2:21 pm

According to FanGraphs in 2018, each point of WAR value was worth $9 million in salary.
    I’m not saying it’s an exact science. But it’s the way today’s GMs think.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 2:27 pm

I would never say a starting position player who started from opening day, and who had only 450 plate appearances had a “great” season. That is simply not the reality. And we all know the tremendous loss of power Posey had. What helped Posey’s WAR score was that his defensive metrics remained strong, and WAR factors in defense, too. Again, far from an exact science.

12. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Mike Trout had an insane 10.2 WAR last season. He’s already a Hall of Famer unless he gets busted for steroids.
    Kershaw is probably already a lock for the HoF, also.

• Bozo said, on February 17, 2019 at 3:06 pm

And Harper had a 10 back in 2015. Posey’s highest WAR was 7.6 in 2012 and that includes the positional point bump he gets for being a catcher. My point is, you shouldn’t devalue Harper’s worth based solely on last year’s WAR.

13. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Speaking of insane- how about Barry Bonds’ career WAR of 162.

14. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 3:38 pm

A little bit about Shaun Anderson, from NBC.

“This is the biggest spring of his life, and after a strong 2018 spent in Double-A and Triple-A, Anderson should be the next Giants pitching prospect to reach the big leagues.
    Anderson, 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, sits in the low 90s from the right side with good sink, and has a good slider honed during his days as a college closer. The Giants sent him into the offseason with the goal of working on a changeup that’s also a plus pitch at times.”

15. gianthead said, on February 17, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Obviously Harper has moved on from an ut consideration of the Gigantes (sorry Dog but it was always going to come to this), but what really takes these situations to take this long to strike a deal. Phillies know the price is in the $300 mill ballpark and 10 years. I can see negotiating this new opt-out standard and maybe there us some give and take, but sitting around a table should take what 5 minutes???

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 4:04 pm

It could be all the extra baloney add-ons. Extra money for All-Star game, MVP, etc.

16. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 5:25 pm

All Star game travesty about to start.
    The National Anthem performance was some song that kind of resembled the National Anthem.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 5:28 pm

I think maybe he was trying to make a song that’s about war sound like a song about love and peace. Brave attempt. Not everyone is going to like it.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Someone named Fergie did stranger things to the song at last year’s game.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Maybe it’s a type of protest. No one takes a knee, but the singers completely deconstruct the song and turn it into anything they want to.

17. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Each team is the Washington Generals on defense. The NBA is gaslighting us. We can know longer remember when the players actually cared about playing a competitive game. It’s been so long.

18. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 5:40 pm

I’ve watched 4 minutes and I can’t stand it. What crazy people buy a ticket for this?

19. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Durant’s pink shoes are amazing. That’s something.

20. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 5:58 pm

If you completely change the melody of a song, have you actually sang that song? Isn’t it a different song entirely? People will ponder.

21. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 6:00 pm

It’s official- the only interesting thing now about the game each year is what will be done to the Anthem each time.

22. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 6:57 pm

One play will stand out; Curry’s bounce-pass ally oop for a dunk. Unfortunately it caused Durant to get posterized. Durant’s probably thinking: gee, thanks, dude.

• djloo27 said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:10 pm

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:19 pm

No, I’m with a group of folks with the game on. They’re finding it more entertaining than I am.

23. Flavor said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:18 pm

I had it on during dinner in the other room. Didn’t seem to interesting.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:21 pm

It’s not even half-a##ed effort by the players. Maybe 1/8 a## effort, or less.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:23 pm

The halftime show was long and forgettable.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:25 pm

The 6 Hall of Famers photo op was cool. Magic Johnson and Bill Russell, I love those guys.

24. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:29 pm

It’s pretty funny how Marv Albert is trying to make it exciting. A for effort for him.

25. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:38 pm

OK, Curry made a ridulous left handed shot. He’s ridiculously skilled and talented.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Hey, auto-correct let me down.

26. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Curry went cold in the 4th quarter; and Durant made a bunch of shots.

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Nice dunk by Curry at the end.

27. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 7:55 pm

178-164. A heroic defensive effort by both teams.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 17, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Not nearly as heroic as your play-by-play effort here… 🙂

• zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 9:32 pm

Ha! Thanks. I made it through that whole thing. It became a quest.

28. zumiee said, on February 17, 2019 at 9:35 pm

The MLB commissioner has woken up, and is rattling around. Talking pitch-clock for Spring Training games.

• djloo27 said, on February 18, 2019 at 4:30 am

I’m trying to think of the commissioner’s name without looking it up.
      It’s not Selig anymore, right?

• zumiee said, on February 18, 2019 at 5:12 am