I’m Back With Some News….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 25, 2019

……news you won’t be getting from other places on the internet. I’ve been gone for several days and haven’t checked mlbtraderumors.com till this morning. This is what I read:

Screenshot 2019-02-25 at 5.26.18 AM

This is just amazing. Giants fans are so starved for action some are continuing to hold on to a fantasy. Only because Harper still hasn’t signed with The Phillies. I would guess Zaidi hasn’t had a Harper thought since that meeting in Las Vegas. Giants fans thinking that Zaidi is spending his day writing and submitting new offers to Boras are living in a dream world.

CAM MAYBIN IS YOUR NEW OUTFIELDER! PABLO SANDOVAL IS OUT WITH A TWEAKED SIDE MUSCLE! THIS IS YOUR REALITY!!!!! NOT BRYCE FUCKING HARPER!!!!!!!!!

I’m guessing that in August mlbtraderumors will still be writing about how Zaidi is designing and submitting trade packages to the Phillies to acquire Harper…..

1. unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2019 at 8:25 am

Apparently the Dodgers are back in the mix for Harper. The great white hype met with the Dogs in Vegas yesterday.

This is taking on LeBron James-level idiocy in the ‘where will he go?’ bonanza.

I hope ESPN creates a 30 minute show around his decision.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 25, 2019 at 9:33 am

Regarding the recent talk on Bochy’s successor, the Rockies extended Bud Black today. If the club doesn’t sell at the deadline why not go with Meulens? He had success with a bunch of scrubs at the WBC and would be a good bridge with the remaining vets.

What’s the over/under on Duggar’s games played? Probably less than 80 imo.

3. blade3colorado said, on February 25, 2019 at 10:46 am

I think even more ludicrous than the Giants being involved in these rumors is the rumor Unca cited about the Dodgers being back in the mix. Numerous sources have confirmed what Chuck has posted. My questions are three-fold: 1. How do the Dodgers make that work with them being right up against the luxury tax threshold? 2. The Bums already have too many left handed hitters, especially in the outfield; and, 3. A short term deal – which the Dodgers apparently desire – is not going to happen, especially with Boras calling the shots. Additionally, him and Harper would look like they “were schooled” after what Machado and his agent scored from the Friars.

I will stick with my choice from months ago. The Phillies will have him under contract and I suspect it will happen tomorrow.

• Bozo said, on February 25, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Yeah, it’s not like the Dodgers backed up a Brinks truck or anything.

4. gianthead said, on February 25, 2019 at 11:01 am

I really think the Fodgers weighing in now is just dumpster diving at the end. Would be quite unlikely. But what if they gave him a $50 million signing bonus spread over 5 years so only counts $10 mill per year and he gets the $50 mill up front and say a salary of $5 mill first year and then say $25 mill over 4 with a second 5 year option? For 5 years, he would technically get $155 mill beating the $30 mill Machado/ Giancarlo annual level?

Doesnt the salary cap them go up just $15 mill for the first year.

5. Flavor said, on February 25, 2019 at 11:02 am

I think Z will hire someone who will take orders from the pencil pushers. That’s just how the game is managed now. Who that is, I don’t know. Goodwin???

6. Bozo said, on February 25, 2019 at 1:17 pm

For the New York history buffs, a cool shot of the Polo Grounds on opening day in 1923. In the background is the brand new Yankees stadium (8 days old). Doesn’t look like many folks got off work to see the Giants and Boston Braves unless they’re all at the new Yankee yard to see the Babe..
    This is from Chris Haft via Old-time baseball photos.

• sandog said, on February 25, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Very cool. I still need to find that damn stairway down to the Polo Grounds on my next visit to New York.
      If I had a Bucket List, walking that stairway would be on it.

• djloo27 said, on February 25, 2019 at 3:58 pm

I remember that being on the list in 2016.
        I guess there just wasn’t enough time…

7. unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Harper HAS said he’d like to be near his Vegas home, so the Dogs figure shoot him a front-loaded offer and see what happens. No harm no foul.

This manager spot coming up, how does the interview go?

“Do you like to manage on your own and set your lineups as you see fit, or are you amenable to input from 32 principal owners, the GM, the CEO, and the towel boy?”

8. unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2019 at 2:27 pm

Love it

9. sandog said, on February 25, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Until Harper has signed somewhere else, I am holding out hope he could end up with us. Do I think it will happen? No. But, I still think there is a chance and I will cling to that as I will be so down on Zaidi and this team if we go into this season with this current roster.

Blade–that cartoon where you posted a clip earlier was legendary with me and a couple of buddies when we were in 7th grade. We endlessly amused each other by using lines from that cartoon, most notably “Thank you very much George!” I still have my 7th grade yearbook where one of those guys sketched out a scene from that cartoon.
    Yeah, we weren’t the most mature kids in the school……

• blade3colorado said, on February 25, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Probably like most of us here, I was always down with watching Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies (Fractured fairy tales and Rocky & Bulwinkle were just behind those favorites).

Fox and Hounds was actually a Merrie Melodies cartoon short and the dimwitted hound, Willoughby (voiced by Tex Avery), repeatedly asks sly fox, George (voiced by Mel Blanc), where the fox went, never suspecting that his “friend” George is the fox. Invariably, George the Fox tells Willoughby that the fox is on the other side of a rail fence, which is actually at the edge of a steep cliff. Willoughby’s line, “Which way did he go, George? Which way did he go?” long ago became a catchphrase, as did “Thanks a lot, George, thanks a lot!” (as you pointed out San Dog).

When I was a kid, Saturday was a combination of being my favorite day, as well as one of my worst. Loved to watch cartoons, but my mom’s (grating) voice would say “Enough cartoons! It’s time to clean the house!” Ugh. When I got older, cleaning the house then interfered with meeting the fellas at the baseball field, football field, or basketball court, depending on what season it was. Once out of the house, my mom would have to drag my brother and I in for dinner. No easy task.

• sandog said, on February 25, 2019 at 4:18 pm

I can’t believe I botched that line! Eddie Tatum would be so disappointed in me.

Good stuff Blade.

10. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 25, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Well, it’s Tuesday noonish, and Kim has arrived in Hanoi (Trump supposedly arrives tonight), and traffic is already a mess plus internet is spotty. But where are all the Flappers? Ah, still waiting for word on Harper. Sheesh. This guy, trying to decide which decades-long 300-million-plus contract to accept, has hijacked the baseball world. Make a f-ing decision already, you tool…

11. zumiee said, on February 25, 2019 at 10:07 pm

You can hear the sphincters tightening in LA regarding Kershaw’s shoulder pain. I’m using the word “pain” even though teams hate that word. They prefer words like “discomfort.”

12. zumiee said, on February 25, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Kershaw is getting older. He has a jerky-jerky delivery that puts a lot of stress on his body. Here’s Roberts with some blather:
    “He’s in a good place. He feels good. He understands that it’s a process,” Roberts continued.
    “We’re all on the same page. We don’t want to rush him back. If we’re going to take a few days to take a step back, let’s take advantage of it. In talking to him, he’s encouraged. Speaking honestly, there’s no reason he won’t be an elite pitcher with his pitch mix, irregardless of velocity. I believe and the organisation believes that. But Clayton’s got to believe that.”

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 25, 2019 at 11:40 pm

He’s in a good place, alright. The DL. Poor guy, I kind of like him. Not poor fans or poor team, I kind of don’t like them.

• djloo27 said, on February 26, 2019 at 3:53 am

Roberts rolling out 3 annoying cliches in the first 3 sentences. Not sure about regardless vs. irregardless.
      Pawlie??? Very hard to dislike Ker-Plunk and we all know why he wears 22…

• blade3colorado said, on February 26, 2019 at 7:40 am

You just wrote one of my favorite irritations . . . Yes, it is ONLY regardless (no, such word as irregardless).