Larry

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 2, 2019

Some additional thoughts on The Incident:

1. It’s probably safe to assume this has happened to them before. What would have happened if it hadn’t been public, if the cameras hadn’t been rolling? Baer tries a “Pam, stop” at the end of it before walking away. That’s loosely translated to “Oh, fuck.” He also looked like he had a “Dumb bitch” shake of the head near the end, too…
  2. I think Baer is a fucking tool for going after his phone like that. And I have no problem with his squeaky clean image being sullied, he could use some shit getting thrown his way.
  3. I just didn’t like that people were acting like this was a Rice/Mixon/Hunt situation. An old lady fell off her chair.

1. Flavor said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:15 am

This guy won them exactly nothing. He turned down 300 million from them. And then he signs with a team in their division. Pathetic tweet from the team account.

• willedav said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:46 am

yes. Besides the booing he’ll get in Philly when he isn’t hitting well, doubt Nats fans will applaud his return trips there much. Kinda funny, apparently LA fans are pissed Dodgers wouldn’t do more to get him to sign there either, despite principal owner saying exceeding lux tax didn’t matter Only guys they have added after dumping Puig/Kemp are Pollock and old guy Russell Martin. Hmmnn

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:54 am

WillieD–you often end a *hmmmmm* with an *n* or a couple of *n*s. What that all bout?

• willedav said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:12 am

oh just indicates something more to think about. In this case, why wouldn’t LA go all out for Harper, if owners said money wasn’t an issue. What stopped them? LA is way better fit they could win it all right now. plus they set up RF for him by dumping Puig for nothing. Lord knows natives already restless down there after Roberts and his analytic nonsense blow another Series. If Pollock gets hurt again and misses half season they will catch endless heat.

• Bozo said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:14 am

When the DC park first opened up they seemed to be very tolerant of the fans from other teams, they quickly learned to hate the Philly fans who would storm and trash their new joint. I doubt Bryce will receive a warm welcome when he comes back with the team DC loves to hate.

• gianthead said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:43 am

The Gnats fans here are acting like they dont care and happy he is not a Giant (now these Gnat fans are my friends and they hate the Giants because of our decade of success) but to be happy that he is now a Philly for life and will torment them endlessly is priceless!!!

2. willedav said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:59 am

Paul, I think Giants pitching staff is reason to be optimistic they can be better. Healthy ready to go Bum plus adding Pomeranz to rotation should make SPs much more formidable. I like Holland and DRod and would hope to see improved Suarez and less of Stratton and his 5.00 ERA. Smrdz is anyone’ guess but hopefully can’t be as bad as last year. Full season of pen guys minus likes of Osich Gearrin and Strick should be better too. Maybe Moronta develops further and makes one of them expendable in prospect deal.

Bottom line they should allow way fewer runs than last year and improve ERA to better than 7th in league.
    How well hitters (if healthy key word) do is other half of equation. Giants aren’t going to hit lot of HRs so they have to hold down other teams and win the torture games, especially on the road.

• sandog said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:12 am

It looks to me like Zaidi made a conscious decision to avoid power hitters and go for line drive types who can run a little bit and play good defense. On one hand, that bugs me as I really wanted us to add some power, but maybe that is him playing to our park, which I can’t really argue with as I bash the park all the time for being a lousy place for power hitters.

• gianthead said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:49 am

Krukow was speaking endlessly last night about teams through baseball are trying to make their hitters finish of their swings with an upper cut and that makes them vulnerable to the hight fastball…if I were Farhan and I have been preaching this for last couple of years that while everyone elsen in baseball is trying to build sluggers we should build a team around our ballpark with speed, high on-base guys and defense. A Cardinals of the 80s type of team. We would basically be the only team playing that style and take advantage of every other team trying to hit a homer every at bat and resulting in high strike outs that hopefully we build our pitching staff around to take advantage of…

• sandog said, on March 2, 2019 at 10:00 am

You’ve said that before, and I think you are onto something there. If we aren’t gonna fix the park, then lets Zag while everyone else is Zigging and go with pitching, speed, and defense.
        I think Zaidi might be on board with this line of thinking.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 2, 2019 at 10:02 am

Line drive hitters, defense & pitching? Sounds Sabeanesque to me. Where’s Zaidi’s cascade of moves post Harper signing elsewhere? We’re waiting!

• Bozo said, on March 2, 2019 at 11:20 am

Agreed Willie. The Starters will also have Pomeranz in the mix so we will be deeper there. The bullpen looks like it will be very strong and with so many live arms in camp we should be able to repair/replace as needed.
      Longo having a year in the NL plus recovered from the broken hand and Posey with his healed hip should put up more HRs than last. The OF and bench are still the big questions in my mind but with answers soon to come.

3. alleykat69 said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:53 am

Yeah Dog , if they ever decide to pull their heads out of the asses and move in the demesions of Snororacle along with moving the BP mounds for obvious safety issues,this will be the players unless drafted that they can attract..

4. Bozo said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:58 am

#4. If Baer gets removed from his position because of the optics of this, I’m fine with that.

Hey maybe that long haired owner dude, David Jenkins, should take a turn at managing general partner.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 2, 2019 at 10:09 am

Mrs Baer may be a cackling hyena and the situation overblown but treating someone like that in public indicates to me that worse goes on behind closed doors. Whatever, it’s their marriage but Larry, who’s always struck me as a smarmy weasel, done shoulda known better.

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2019 at 10:54 am

This is a great point and setting I started coming around on after thinking about it more last night.

6. gianthead said, on March 2, 2019 at 10:41 am

My last two points about Baer after seeing Pam Baer’s statement…why the fuck were you screaming like you have been violently assaulted??? Was it too draw as much attention as possible??? Why don’t you address that in your statement. I kind of wish he either gets fired or receives a long suspension with financial hardship so she can stew on that for a long time.

My 19 year old college son who is pretty naive still about women and life but is also not jaded had this as his first response: “She seems like a maniac!”

7. Macdog said, on March 2, 2019 at 11:36 am

Zaidi’s work is never done.

8. snarkk said, on March 2, 2019 at 11:44 am

Baer incident is one of the lesser, but still featured with photo, stories on Wash Post website today…

9. zumiee said, on March 2, 2019 at 12:19 pm

There’s a lot of subtext in an incident like that. The man had to prove he could physically dominate the woman. The whole history of women is trying to get equal rights when the male of the species can physically dominate the female of the species at such a high percentage. A short clip like that can be an emotional trigger to a lot of women.
    Pam Baer was left with her only strategy against the physical dominance of Larry in that situation, which was to try to publicly shame him.
    Pro sports are trying to create a zero tolerance of mistreatment of women.

10. Flavor said, on March 2, 2019 at 1:07 pm

if you’re going to build a team after the Cardinals from the 80’s you have to build a team that steals a shit ton of bags. And nobody does that anymore, certainly not the Z Man who probably abhors the stolen base. And as Dirt pointed out above, if you’re building a team around defense and pitching, you might as well have just stuck with Sabean……

• sandog said, on March 2, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Lots of people on here were apparently wrong about Z-Man’s feelings toward Harper, so maybe he’d surprise us and be down with some stolen bags too. I know I would.

• sandog said, on March 2, 2019 at 1:17 pm

I mean, look at who he has signed, he is totally going after defense and pitching. He hasn’t brought in anyone who can even hit 10 homers in our park.

11. sandog said, on March 2, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Dirt–I was wondering about some post Harper rebound deals as well, but there ain’t much out there.
    Gattis? Adam Jones? Joey Freaking Bats?
    I’d be down with all 3 of those dudes, but now I’m getting myself a little geeked up about this smallball jam I think Zaidi is on. Let the other guys hit the 415 foot fly-outs.

Now that Harper is off the market, I’d make resigning Bum #1 priority if I were in charge.
    (After demolishing the fences, bullpens giant glove and Coke bottle, of course)

• Bozo said, on March 2, 2019 at 1:31 pm

When Bumgarner came out of the game yesterday, Miller and Kruk asked him if he and his agent were aware that the Giants had an extra $300 mil.

• sandog said, on March 2, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Bozo, how you feeling about this roster, if this it what we are going with? I know you to be an optimistic dude and, like me, I think you feel like our core guys still have something left.
        I was hoping for a bit more than what ZMan has brought in so far…..

• Bozo said, on March 2, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Well, I agreed with Willie up above about our pitching and mentioned that I expect better power #s from Longo and Posey. I’m still not sure about the OF. I like Duggar’s speed but he has to get on to use it. producing better #s than Pence put up should be doable in-house (Mac and Shaw?), I was hoping for a RFer that could put up some decent #s and play the field. I still wouldn’t mind a trade with Detroit for Nick Castellanos. I figure the bench will be Pablo and a SS, 2 OFers, and one of the vet catchers.

Key players coming back healthy, a stronger bullpen and what looks to be a decent rotation should put us in the low to mid 80s for wins.

Hey, did you see that HR Shaw hit last night? that thing had a stewardess on it.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 2, 2019 at 1:56 pm

I hear you but I’m not digging any of those 3. With an aging club I’d rather see some younger player brought back via trade. Panik, Smith, Dyson and whoever that situational lefty guy is should get something in return without subtracting much from the current roster.

12. Bozo said, on March 2, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Machado has his cliches ready for the season.

13. snarkk said, on March 2, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Shaw certainly did hit a long tater.
    If he can hit ’em more than once every 40 ABs, and strike out at less than a 35% clip, maybe we have something there…

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2019 at 5:54 pm

I think Reggie Jackson is credited with being the first to use the “tater” line.
      Unless it was Willie Stargell…

14. snarkk said, on March 2, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Bart apparently showed off a rocket arm today, according to post game radio.
    I want this guy on the fast track, and ZMan is the dude to get that done…

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Leaves us with that old dilemma.
      Where do you fast track Posey?
      And if it’s to 1B, where do you fast track Belt?

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Belt can go play the outfield or get traded somewhere. Posey would be fine at first base. He wouldn’t produce like a top flight first baseman but we are way past hoping he’s gonna recapture any of his past glory. Post surgery, maybe now he can get the ball over the wall every now and again. I would take that

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2019 at 5:57 pm

You know what would Twin say to that move, Flavor.
        You’re weakening 2, maybe 3 positions defensively…

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2019 at 6:34 pm

Twin also wouldn’t have been too happy with my Baer take 🙂

15. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 2, 2019 at 6:40 pm

Loo, from what I remember (always a dicey proposition), George Scott with Red Sox called his HRs “big taters” back in the late ’60s, but I don’t know if that was the first…..

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:16 pm

I wouldn’t doubt you, Paul…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Wow, thanks, but I wouldn’t go THAT far…. 🙂

16. sandog said, on March 2, 2019 at 6:42 pm

….and remember, the faster Bart gets to the bigs, the faster he hits free agency.
    Unless the team is ready to contend, I’m a big fan of stalling off that free agency clock as long as possible.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 2, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Briefly about Baer: despite my post end of last thread spelling out why the team would likely have to take some action, it’s possible this could blow over without any action if the 2 Baers got up and spoke at a news conference wherein Mrs. Baer is not just a prop while Larry does the talking, but rather he shuts up and she makes it clear this was not a big deal, just a little spat, happens a lot, too bad it was in public, her hubby’s a great guy, no charges filed, he’s never hit me, etc. Her words would carry more weight than the team’s or Larry’s. But that’s probably not happening and thus “action” by the team is probably unavoidable at this point.

Briefly about the starting pitching: During the off-season, I said I thought the biggest pieces the team needed were a top-flight CFer, a young good 3rd bagger (because I do not have hope about Longoria at all), and a top of the rotation starter. Ok, I hear enough of you feeling some warm vibes for the starters, so I’ll not fret much about that. I just think without adding a frontline starter AND some better bats to score more runs, we’re going to be looking at the wrong side of a lot of 8-3 scores….

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:45 pm

why wouldn’t they trot her out there? Even if she hates Larry she has a lot to protect, she’s a huge socialite in SF, does a lot of work with charities, etc. She could probably take a lot of heat off this situation by speaking publicly, not through her attorney.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Agree, she *should* be the one to try to clarify things. I just don’t think the team will do that.

18. willedav said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Ha. Curry lighting up J J Redick. I give this guy credit for having lot more successful career than I thought possible, but…Duck Fuke.

• Macdog said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Yeah, he missed a couple of shots late, one a wide-open 3 and the other in the paint when he couldn’t decide whether to use the backboard. Strange decision by Simmons/Sixers to miss that free throw with 10 seconds left.

• willedav said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Brand’s the GM too, another Duke guy most of whom I can’t stand. Good team though. Funny how well some teams play without a big star in lineup, including both tonite. Who is this Mike Scott guy?

• willedav said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:52 pm

I really like McConnell too. Every time I see him he plays effective minutes off bench, type of reserve guard GS hasn’t had in long time.

19. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 2, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Just FYI, Loo, this about George Scott from Wiki. I didn’t realize he played 14 years, longer career than I thought. Quite the character: “In a 14-season career, Scott posted a .268 batting average with 271 home runs (which he called “taters”) and 1,051 RBIs in 2034 games.[3] His nickname was Boomer and he called his glove “Black Beauty”. George was well known for having a good sense of humor. He wore a necklace which he once identified to a reporter as being composed of “the second baseman’s teeth”. To complement his unique attire, he also was known for wearing a batting helmet while fielding at first base due to an experience he had with a fan throwing hard objects at him once during a road game.”

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2019 at 9:41 pm

Good job, Paul…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 2, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Well, that just shows the reliability of my memory. Yeah, I remembered his “taters” and all that, but I could’ve sworn he hit lefty. Baseball card shows otherwise. Now that I think about (tickling the far reaches of my memory banks), I do sort of remember him being a righty. Oh well. Maybe I was thinking of Mo Vaughn or David Ortiz…

20. snarkk said, on March 3, 2019 at 6:37 am

Heading onto flight to Phoenix. Handful of folks in Giants gear. I’m rockin my traditional SF cap. I spoke with two fans, we were all sick of the Harper hoo haw. And looking forward to see Baby Rodriguez on mound today. They had a shared set of group season tix for quite a few years, did not Re-up because of crap performance last few seasons. They’re not the only ones. Hence the Giants offering special deals with food discounts etc now…