Weak

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 4, 2019

I’ve been listening to a lot more 95.7 The Game lately. KNBR has fired everyone and become nearly un-listen-to-able. Turns out a lot of the fired hosts are now at 95.7. Not having to listen to Gary Radnich’s voice is reason enough to make the switch.

They had a caller yesterday who was adamant that we weren’t just going to finish in last place but we don’t even have anyone who can hit a ball hard consistently. He was very negative but very right. We have no power, everyone knows that. But we don’t even hit the ball hard. Dribblers. Pop ups. Soft contact…..

That has to be something Z addresses once he ignites “Operation Trade Flurry”…..

1. snarkk said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:17 am

MTO impressed me more than anyone yesterday. A lot of tough line drive chances handles well, great sliding catch on a seemingly sure double. Couple of hard shots for hits including a hot oppo liner down line to right. Hope he keeps it going. Otherwise, a lackluster team showing. ZMan needs to get a real MLB outfielder in here, and I don’t mean a “Cutch” redux…

• Flavor said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:29 am

MTO and Longo are my 2 picks for bounce back seasons….

2. Flavor said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:48 am

3. willedav said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:13 am

Thx to Snarkk for eyewitness reports and observations from ST.
    Something else I don’t follow is back in news—“another horse died at Santa Anita, making it 20 fatalities at the race track since its winter meet began Dec. 26.” Huh?

• Macdog said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:37 am

Local NJ paper reported about a week ago, at Monmouth Park, 15 horses died as a result of on-track breakdowns in 2018, including six from injuries sustained in races.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:13 am

Vaya con Dios, Larry. Lost in all of this is, what was so important to see on the phone? Was she BBOTD worthy or not?

5. Macdog said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:30 am

That’s when the Giants can even hit the ball at all, given they were 3rd in strikeouts in the NL last year.

6. sandog said, on March 4, 2019 at 9:00 am

Zaidi is obviously has a vision for us play pitching and defense smallball–given our ballpark dimensions.
    Why am I the only who sees this?

• Flavor said, on March 4, 2019 at 9:18 am

whether he’s trying to do this or not, it’s a bad idea. Can’t win that way.

• sandog said, on March 4, 2019 at 10:49 am

Would you agree that to this point Zaidi has not taken one single step to increase our ability to hit for power?

• Flavor said, on March 4, 2019 at 12:33 pm

i would agree with that and it’s one of the things about him that’s pissing me off.

• gianthead said, on March 4, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Cant win that way because getting a speed team and putting lots of guys and scoring lots of runs does not work or that we dont have the personnel to play the aforementioned type of baseball?

There is the current thought, not saying you are making it Flav, that you cna only win a baseball game with the long ball.

I disagree and team built on speed, defense, high on-base % and of course great pitching can win all the time and beat the slugging high strikeout teams…we simply dont have those type of players in our system…

7. Flavor said, on March 4, 2019 at 9:20 am

Diggity, I was trying to get with your Eric Holder call on Poodle Man but there just isn’t a good enough shot of his face.

8. unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2019 at 9:59 am

Hah! Whatever the deal is, it was a terrible look for Baer, the supposed leader of the team.

As far as the team goes, I think this is 100 loss territory. Pitching can only go so far. I think we will be fine pitching-wise, minus melonhead.

• unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2019 at 11:05 am

Well, Melonhead and Smarglebargle. I suspect they get trotted out there until the mysterious upper body injury takes hold of both of them.

9. snarkk said, on March 4, 2019 at 11:16 am

One game only yesterday, but it doesn’t take a superscout to see the Rocks lineup outclasses SF. Arenado, Blackmon, Story, etc., that entire lineup mashes. Blade can weigh in on their pitching. They sure hancuffed the Giants yesterday. Barring huge injury and the dreaded Coors Field malaise being huge, imo the Rocks are in the division race all year…

• sandog said, on March 4, 2019 at 11:23 am

Your man on the scene bits were great yesterday. Especially liked the one about guy shouting Lets Go Giants to a mostly empty and disinterested house.
      I haven’t been out there for games in 20 years or so, but you were giving me the itch to get back out there again.

10. unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2019 at 11:45 am

Are the games in Scottsdale really expensive? Was it AK that said it was $65 for lawn seats?

Like seeing a AAA game? Actually those tix were cheap, it was $10.oo beers and high priced hot dogs tho.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 4, 2019 at 12:40 pm

Longoria with a bomb.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 4, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Melancon in early season form already with 3 hits, BB and a sac fly to give the dodgers the 3-1 lead.

13. gianthead said, on March 4, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Know what seeing Cheesy Mac the other night against the Reds and his seemingly short bat reminded me of????

John Bowker😢🤣😭😤😊⚾️

• gianthead said, on March 4, 2019 at 1:46 pm

But Shaw hit the snot out of that ball…

14. zumiee said, on March 4, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Melancon. What can you say? He was damaged goods when we got him. Just a horrible signing by the Giants that is going to keep losing some games for us.

• blade3colorado said, on March 4, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Melanoma actually had only 1 earned run today (Slater’s error). However, that only begins to tell the story, as he gave up 3 hits and a walk. So yeah, he’s still the same guy we all know and lo . . . umm, hate. I agree with Unca, they will trot his ass out there until the mysterious injury or illness is identified in this book:

So, the good news today was our alphabet pitcher. He actually had a good line today, 3 innings, 0 runs, 4 Ks, and 2 walks (bad Smarg). Maybin and Longo also looked sharp.

15. unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2019 at 3:30 pm

That’s a hell of a lot of bubble gum in his mouth.

16. djloo27 said, on March 4, 2019 at 4:17 pm

The Giants big money FA (relatively speaking) signings are usually lousy…

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2019 at 4:34 pm

And Zaidi doesn’t have a particular big belief in doing them. He was trained by Billy Beane (A’s, as we all know) and Friedman (Tampa Bay for many years), two guys who had to develop talent within their organizations to compete. Zaidi and Friedman helped build the Dodgers into a juggernaut with more funds to work with than the A’s and Rays combined. With the Giants, Zaidi, of course, comes onboard with the weird situation of a team with a high payroll, but so much of that spoken for already with bad contracts.
      For me, Zaidi gets a total pass this season on the SF Giants. I don’t care what the major league team’s record is. I just want to see good progress made in the farm system. I want us to eventually have the kind of awesome farm system we’ve maybe never seen with the Giants in our lifetime.

• blade3colorado said, on March 4, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Absolutely, he gets a pass. With most of the payroll taken up by bad contracts, it’s unrealistic to expect a major addition. By the by, I get it trying for a young player like Harper to build around for the future, but throwing more bad money after bad on another has-been as we did last season with Longoria doesn’t make sense in my opinion.

Frankly, I am willing to give him at least a couple of years to see improvement in the club and minor leagues. Why? It will take at least that long to churn through these abominable contracts we have on the books. Besides, we have been bad for 2.5 seasons and that wasn’t his fault.

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:32 pm

The Giants decline seemed to coincide with the great NY Flapalooza of 2016 – although it had already begun a little before it and there was still the great WC game a few months later…

17. pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Regarding gianthead’s 1:42, I am convinced the current fixation on power (homer or strikeout) will dissolve as soon as a team, or teams, win with smallball, good pitching, and defense. It will come back in favor because a team will counterintuitively (against the zeitgeist) and employ it successfully. Maybe two teams (cf. 2014 WS). I’m not saying it will be the Giants, but I’m not saying it’s impossible either.

18. pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Liked zumiee’s 4:34 and blade’s 4:59.

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Remember the brief “like button” era here?

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Yeah, and I guess iPhones have that feature; not my phone

19. pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:36 pm

I heard the dogwhistle today. As I related in a text to Magnus, I still have my Giants’ fan delusional mojo as recounted in Chasing Willie Mays. Saw a guy coming up the escalator at the local mall, destiny usa (where Macdog and I have met). He had a black jacket with the orange San Francisco emblazoned on it. “Hey, are you a Giants fan?” as he stepped off. “Uh, yeah.” Look of puzzlement and fear on his face. Late forties, early fifties. Relaxed when I told him my pitch, assuring him I’m harmless. (Maybe.) His dad was a Yankees fan. He didn’t want that and because his dad (would be 71 if alive; I’m now 70) talked of the NY rivalries he picked the Giants, in the Eighties. Knew his stuff.

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Pawlie, I don’t remember if you shared any thoughts here on McCovey’s passing. How did it hit you?
      Personally, I’m having a kind of delayed sadness over it…

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Love this card…”Outfield” (Pre-Cepeda trade)

20. pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Not sure what’s gotten into me; have gone all Salvador Dali-John le Carre for some reason: https://thelaughorist.blogspot.com/2019/03/grand-slam.html

21. mrsprtdude said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Hi all,

Nothing really to say. Been reading but not posting.
    The Baer thing is crazy. He is A) an asshole if he just doesn’t want his wife looking at his phone and pissed she had the audacity to try and look at it.. or B) He is an asshole because there IS something to see in his phone. Which one? Who cares? If I’m ownership this guy has to go…Cause if I’m a billionaire I can find better people to represent me in public than this guy…

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:06 pm

22. willedav said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:33 pm

I think the Baer thing revolved around an argument over family member. Theirs is big (4 kids?) plus in laws and other relatives like uncles/aunts. Bound to be some who are favored and others who are definitely not and often spouses have divergent views. Could be this is what their loud and long argument was about, before she grabbed his phone—some breaking news he got she blew up over. Hard to see an assault there.

she could have went straight to c u later but instead walked everything back, citing her foot injury/ long and happy marriage yada yada.
    Sounds like leave of absence will be good for everyone and cooler heads will prevail..

23. willedav said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Found interesting book in local lib–Baseball Goes West The Dodgers the Giants and the Shaping of the Major Leagues by Lincoln Mitchell. Great pics on cover Marichal in mid windup Stoneham O’Malley Mays and Koufax

24. unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:43 pm

For all that, there’s the thought that if this is how they are in public, what goes on in private. Total dick move however it goes. His first ‘apology’ blamed her foot for the chair tipping over. He tipped the chair over.

He’s a smarmy weasel in my book anyway so I could give a rat’s ass what they do. Fuck him.

25. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 4, 2019 at 8:43 pm

One last Baer comment. Agree with Dirt, gotta wonder what photo or whatever Baer didn’t want his wife to see. We’ll never know. I don’t know if he’s a jerk, but for me it’s pretty simple: I cannot think of any situation where I wouldn’t immediately help my wife/gf if she’d fallen to the ground. Any. Hello leave of absence.

26. djloo27 said, on March 4, 2019 at 9:03 pm

I’m still waiting to hear all about that hot spot where the incident took place…

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2019 at 9:16 pm

Yeah, the groovy Parking Lot. It’s all the rage now. Rich people sit on crappy chairs in a parking lot and scroll through their smart-phones.

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I’ve played punchball in nicer places…

• blade3colorado said, on March 5, 2019 at 7:36 am

It looks like the Mint Plaza in Hayes Valley.