Accepting Our Fate

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 8, 2019

Here were Daniel’s questions and my responses. Cynical, yes. Accurate reflection of my mood for this season? Spot on.

1) What are your thoughts on the offseason?  What was good, what was bad, what else should they have done?
The off season unfolded rather predictably. Zaidi, hamstrung with absurd deals and immovable aged vets, signed the scraps that he could find. We were also used by Boras to jack up the price Philly would ultimately pay for Harper.
2) Madison Bumgarner is a free agent at the end of the season.  Will he get traded before the deadline or will the Giants work out an extension (or, I suppose, neither)?
Bumgarner’s value is artificially inflated due to being a post season legend. Pitching for the team, he’s worthless to the Giants who are years away from making the Fall Classic. Therefore, he should be traded immediately to any team still hoodwinked by his past.
3) The other team icon, Buster Posey, had injuries and possibly the worst season of his career.  A blip on the radar or a sign of things to come?
Posey has had his hip repaired over the Winter and that has given me hope that he can now hit the ball to the wall, something he couldn’t do the last few months of his season until he was finally shut down. Occasionally hitting the ball over the wall this year would classify as a major victory. His contract is an albatross. He’ll be kept around to remind fans of what once was…..
4) What is your general outlook for 2019?  Where will they finish in the division?
Last place. Guaranteed.
5) What’s the biggest question for this team going into the season and what’s the answer to it?
After Baer get caught in an altercation with his wife and Cam Maybin got busted for a DUI I am hoping they can answer the question of how to stop embarrassing the franchise in public. If they can stop doing that I will consider this season a win.
6) What do you expect will give you the most joy watching this team on a regular basis this season?
I’m going to be playing a lot of fantasy baseball this season at draftkings. That will bring me the most joy and there will be bonus joy in that I can focus on building my fantasy teams and not being solely tied to watching and rooting for my favorite team, The Giants.

1. zumiee said, on March 8, 2019 at 7:36 am

“Day broke cold and gray. Exceedingly cold and gray.”
    The opening of Jack London’s story “To Build A Fire.”

2. unca_chuck said, on March 8, 2019 at 8:08 am

been-down

• xoot said, on March 8, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Remember when Twin claimed he’d fucked Mimi Fariña? Met her in a cancer survivor group or something like that. Talked to her about Richard studying literature at Princeton with Thomas Pynchon. Then he posted a pic of several famous musicians together–including, oddly enough, Herbie Hancock and Joni Mitchell–and claimed that he was in the guy in the back row with a cap on, but with his face blocked by someone in front.

My god the shit that guy spun off.

• djloo27 said, on March 8, 2019 at 4:46 pm

Do you miss him?

3. snarkk said, on March 8, 2019 at 8:10 am

I’ve seen 2 ST games. MTO and Beede impressed me the most. Posey looks slow behind the plate and as slow or slower than before on the bases. I don’t think he’ll get much power back. The infield is defensively good, but aging and slow. Outfield is a mess, though probably better than last year. Unless major changes, it’s going to be a long season…

4. willedav said, on March 8, 2019 at 8:27 am

Cbs site headline: Suspended Cowboy: “I quit the NFL until marijuana is legal”. Actually an interesting take. I read book (very good read) by former wide out Nate Jackson who played for few seasons in Denver with Shanahan before injuries ended his career. He said green stuff helped him a lot to relax and allow his body to heal, unlike painkillers and other drugs/treatment staff recommended.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 8, 2019 at 11:00 am

I hope Posey rebounds but hip surgery is no joke and the times that I have seen him in the media lately he seems to have aged quite a bit all of a sudden.

6. blade3colorado said, on March 8, 2019 at 11:31 am

More like the “October Blues Marshmallow Crew” or how about this, “Remember 1988 Blue Face Plant Crew?”

Tool.

• zumiee said, on March 8, 2019 at 11:45 am

Deal with these:

7. zumiee said, on March 8, 2019 at 11:47 am

One of the most funnest of fun facts is that the last time the Dodgers won the World Series, Ronald Reagan was president. Reagan! That’s hilarious.

8. unca_chuck said, on March 8, 2019 at 12:07 pm

I think that might be Del Mar Dennis. He has infected the shit out of my blog. And he has gone around the bend.

• sandog said, on March 8, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Pinole in the house!

9. Flavor said, on March 8, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Daniel’s SF Giants blog thread went up today. I seem to be traveling the more negative road than my fellow Giants bloggers

10. Flavor said, on March 8, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Trump continuing to use body doubles for his wife is without question the weirdest part of his presidency.

• gianthead said, on March 8, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Despire considering the occasion, that is pretty funny. I am waiting Michael Myers to throw off the wig…

11. gianthead said, on March 8, 2019 at 12:41 pm

The biggest question for the team among the numerous questions about health, age and analytics for the bulk of the team is who among the 4-5 unproven outfielders will step up and prove they are every day big leaguers???

The 2nd big question for me is how legit Pudge Jr and Suarez will be in their 2nd seasons as starters??? Will they solidify their spots in the rotation where they could be starters for the next 2-4 years?

12. unca_chuck said, on March 8, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Our pitching would be fine if we had any reasonable hitters. We don’t. And I don’t think Panik, Posey, or Crawfish resemble anything like mid-level production guys. Belt, Longo, and maybe a new guy should do OK but it won’t be enough. I’ve already said I think this team comes close to losing 100.

13. Cardinal70 said, on March 8, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Hello, folks. Always good to check in over here. Appreciate Craig and his plainspoken responses to my questions. 🙂 If you for any reason have questions about the Cards, I’m open!

• blade3colorado said, on March 8, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Daniel, I have no idea where you find the time to work (or are you retired like I am?) and do your blog, as well as coordinate the “Playing Pepper” series . . . I thought you were only getting “takes” from the SF Giants blogs, but you seem to be going around the league now, correct? In any event, I am fascinated by the San Diego Padres input your received from the 3 bloggers. I am still reading and have the other teams on my “to do” list as well. Great job!

• Cardinal70 said, on March 8, 2019 at 2:42 pm

No retirement here (though I’ll be honest and say I sneak a little blog in during the work day at times). Yes, Pepper’s always been a trip around the entire MLB and I’m glad you are diving into some of the others. We’ll look at the AL and NL East teams next week. Thanks for reading!

14. blade3colorado said, on March 8, 2019 at 1:34 pm

There’s a difference between “negativity” and “reality.” So, I do NOT think you were overly negative or even negative Craig. You told it like it is.

Frankly, with all due respect to the people who provided input, I have zero idea what Michael is talking about (and smoking). I think you and Richard were spot on in your analysis. Richard particularly, explained in detail why the Giants are not going to be good this season, as well as possibly the next couple of seasons. This is a process and like Richard, I am glad Zaidi is overseeing our team. I look forward to the team being better, albeit, it may be baby steps initially.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 8, 2019 at 1:54 pm

Yeah, that’s some strong hippy lettuce homeboy is powering down. I wasn’t exactly inspired to check out their blogs. Big Flavor is the man with his ear to the ground and the pulse of this team. (lulz)

15. Flavor said, on March 8, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Denny I have heard from a couple of people who think you should be allowed to post here until you ass out again. Therefore, I am lifting the ban on you. Get rid of that stupid Dodger moniker.

16. Flavor said, on March 8, 2019 at 3:21 pm

The Flurry has begun.

17. unca_chuck said, on March 8, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Wasn’t it supposed to be an incoming flurry?

• zumiee said, on March 8, 2019 at 3:49 pm

lulz!

• Macdog said, on March 8, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Apparently, a flurry of “cash considerations.”

• Flavor said, on March 8, 2019 at 4:43 pm

they got cash! Incoming!

18. alleykat69 said, on March 8, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Not a good time to be named Cameron..

19. unca_chuck said, on March 8, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Kind of a big game for thr warriors tonight. They are closing up their 46 years at Oracle and they are playing like it’s 1999. They have 3 20+ point losses at home and the recent 33 point loss vs Boston. Sure, it isn’; the playoffs, but this is Denver, and we don’t want to end up playing in their house in a 7 game series. They are right behind the Dubs.

They will have Klay and Shaun back, as well as Looney. No Bogut yet. But the team did have a closed-door meeting about the shitty defense. They need to start out a lot better than they have recently. Should be a good one, but that’s what I thought about the Celtics game.

• snarkk said, on March 8, 2019 at 6:14 pm

It’s hard to do any sport that well for 5
      Years running. Bogut may help get their heads back on straight…

20. willedav said, on March 8, 2019 at 6:41 pm

? for Daniel: what would Cards be looking for in exchange for Jose Martinez? I’ve liked his bat ever since he first played here in games vs. SF. In similar vein what do you think of the future for Jed Gyorko?
    Thanks again for hosting and posting Flav’s responses. Really enjoy reading your other team’s blogger insights.

• Cardinal70 said, on March 9, 2019 at 9:40 am

Martinez was supposedly shopped for left-handed relief this offseason but the Cardinals didn’t get any offers they really liked. They went ahead and signed him to a two-year contract this February, which doesn’t mean a whole lot since it just bought out his last pre-arb and his first arb year. Still, I think the club is pretty fond of him and it would take filing a need, not just lottery ticket prospects.

Gyroko is a different story. Right now, he’s on the roster. However, the Cards are getting tight on roster space. Even if they go with 13 hitters, that probably means Yairo Munoz, who played almost all last year in the bigs, starts in Memphis. I would not be surprised if someone was willing to give up something decent for Gyorko that they’d move him.

21. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 8, 2019 at 7:35 pm

MLB site talks about 5 OF targets for Z: Castellano (Tigers), Martinez (Cards), Will Myers (SD), Aaron Altherr (Phils), and Pillar (Toronto). Flap has discussed Castellano and Martinez somewhat, the others not so much. I must say, I had never even heard of Altherr. Z is supposedly kicking the tires on these and maybe others. He seems to be very methodical….

22. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 8, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Recently here there was some talk of a mini-Flapalooza, but I can’t remember now when/where you all were talking about. I’d like to throw a couple other options out there, selfishly my own little bi-coastal mini-Flapaulooza when I visit the US this summer. Just so happens that when I’m back east for a short time in NJ, Giants are in NY playing the Mets (weekend of 7/18). Mac? Loo? Pawlie? Others? And, at the end of my visit, I’ll be flying out of SFO back to VN, and Giants are hosting AZ 8/26-27 and SD 8/29-9/1, right about when I need to fly. Just thinking about this a bit, as my trip plans aren’t final but are shaping up.

• Macdog said, on March 8, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Sorry to say, Paul, the Giants are home vs. the Mets that weekend, but I’m always up for a meetup of some kind anyway. Just checked the schedule, the first game vs. the Mets is Law Enforcement Appreciation night. I gotta feeling Cameron Maybin may not be available that game.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 8, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Oops, read that schedule wrong. But yeah, let’s keep in touch about a meet-up anyway.

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2019 at 4:23 am

The Yankees are home vs. Colorado on the weekend of the 19th.
        Hmmmmmnnnnn………

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2019 at 4:27 am

Or watching Giants-Mets at Finnerty’s?
        Hmmmmmnnnnn…………………..

23. zumiee said, on March 9, 2019 at 7:15 am

Kings vs. Knicks this morning at 9:00 AM, Pacific Time. Early game!

24. zumiee said, on March 9, 2019 at 7:19 am

A bunch of close losses will keep the Kings out of the playoffs this season. They need to win more of those next season. Running their offense well at the end of games, and rebounding well at the end is so crucial. They have the excuse of being a very young team this season, but that excuse doesn’t hold up for next season.

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2019 at 7:23 am

This morning’s game will be interesting. The Knicks stink but sometimes they get after it and a couple of their guys pop off. Seems like the Knick’s coach has no allegience whatsoever to his players and their playing time….

• willedav said, on March 9, 2019 at 8:13 am

Not having Bagley makes a difference too. It’s too bad he’s missed so many games. But the experience of being able to create good shots and knock them down or get to FT line. Too much dribbling without ball or player movement as clock is ticking bogs down lot of teams.

• willedav said, on March 9, 2019 at 8:15 am

Keeping on eye on Alonzo Trier from Arizona who has put up some good numbers on Knicks. See what that might translate into next year whether he’s still there or elsewhere.

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2019 at 5:01 pm

The Knicks seem to have adopted my life’s plan.
        They plan to be lucky…

25. Flavor said, on March 9, 2019 at 8:11 am

sorry, Clown

26. unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2019 at 8:43 am

Have we won a spring training game yet?

• zumiee said, on March 9, 2019 at 9:44 am

Yesterday! 2-0 over Cleveland. Pomerantz and Holland pitched well.

27. snarkk said, on March 9, 2019 at 2:32 pm

I’m back in the Bay, but Gyros doing same as I saw them. Can’t hit, can’t score. Same old song…

• blade3colorado said, on March 9, 2019 at 2:47 pm

• alleykat69 said, on March 9, 2019 at 3:33 pm

So the “We Score We Win” t-shirts need to be put back in the drawer?

28. zumiee said, on March 9, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Pudge, Jr. got a little roughed up today.

29. zumiee said, on March 9, 2019 at 3:01 pm

30. snarkk said, on March 9, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Dan Jenkins died yesterday.
    Many of you probably remember him — great sportswriter on golf and football.
    IMO, and others, unquestionably the greatest American golf sportswriter ever. In the glory days of Arnie, Jack, Player, Casper, Trevino, etc. — his articles on majors and especially the Masters were just great. He was THE golf writer in the glory days of SI, when Frank Deford, Ron Fimrite, Curry Kirkpatrick, Paul Zimmerman, William Nack, Mark Kram and other super writers patrolled those pages. Other than Deford, he may have been the best. He was notably un-PC, but in those days PC was barely on the horizon. To the point, with great stories, and funny as hell. He wrote Semi-Tough, later made into a pretty good movie…

• snarkk said, on March 9, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Here’s Dr. Z’s article on the Niner’s first SB win. Pretty good stuff. I’d forgotten a lot of what happened in that game.

His last line is great, quoting Randy Cross about going to the SF victory parade, not directly to the Pro Bowl practice in Hawaii that was to be run by John McKay…

“It’s only McKay’s offense, anyway,” said Cross, a UCLA grad. “If guys from USC can learn it, how complicated can it be? We’re used to something a little more interesting.”

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Great tribute, Snarkk. I used to love talking horses with the late Bill Nack…

• snarkk said, on March 9, 2019 at 4:05 pm

You were privileged in that regard, sir. I didn’t give a crap about horse racing, but enjoyed the hell out of his writing. What a craftsman. He could write a great sentence about horse manure, and probably did. In those days, I seem to recall every issue of SI had a “feature” article longer than the others, at the end of the mag. If Nack wrote it, I read that one first…

• djloo27 said, on March 9, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Nack describing Secretariat’s Belmont:
        At the 3/8 pole: “He is running now as if in contempt of the clock”
        A furlong later: “He defines the blooded horse in his own terms”

31. djloo27 said, on March 9, 2019 at 3:45 pm

Spring training don’t mean shit. We all know that.
    The opening day roster is probably decided give or take 1-2 spots.
    Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised. There is a precedent for that outlook…

• willedav said, on March 9, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Yes exactly. Ws/Ls in ST are irrelevant and so are 90% of the stats. There are a couple guys fighting to stay out of Sac when season starts, whose numbers might be a factor.
      A week ago Giants hit 5 bombs in a game. Relevant? No, especially in AZ air.
      Panik as of a day ago was hitting over .500. Same thing, means nothing.

32. willedav said, on March 9, 2019 at 6:33 pm

conference tourneys before Big Dance are about my fav week of college b-ball. Watching Ja Morant of Murray St. battle Belmont. He’s got 28 points (half of team total) midway through second half; reminds me of Damian Lillard, can score in variety of ways.