Revising Reality

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 14, 2019

I tried to be positive with my 160 bomb prediction yesterday but reality quickly set in. Who are we kidding? The only 160 we are going to see is the number of days Oaf, Longo and Belt spend on the DL this year.

Here are our bomb totals for the last 3 years:

2018: 133 (Yanks hit 267)

2017: 128 (Yanks hit 241)

2016: 130 (Baltimore hit 253)

2015: 136 (Toronto hit 232)

So going into this season with arguably our worst offense in years, I think 130 is a pipe dream, at least as the team is currently constructed.

Or maybe I nudge Bum’s total up to 60, two per game, and that gets us to the coveted #160

1. Flavor said, on March 14, 2019 at 6:09 am

I’m really only positive about 2 guys this year. I think Longo has a bounce back season and as long as Oaf doesn’t bounce his head off anything he’s good for 20+ bombs. If they both get hurt it won’t surprise me in the least. Guys like Panik, Parra, Crawford, Posey…. I have very little hope for at the plate. Either age, wear and tear or just generally suckitude will fell all four of them……

• Bozo said, on March 14, 2019 at 6:46 am

I’m with you on Longoria having a bounce back year. I’m still hoping that Farhan gets an OFer with some pop, having Parra on the bench wouldn’t bother me at all.
      I’m guessing that the Giants will start the season with only 4 OFers, with Solarte, Hanson and Belt also getting used in the OF some.

2. Bozo said, on March 14, 2019 at 6:29 am

In 2010 we hit 162 bombs but since then it has been between 100-130 every year.

Huff and Uribe were the 20+ guys in 2010 (26 & 24), Posey and Burrell were close to the 20 mark, each having 18. Considering he hit my most memorable and favorite HR as a Giant, weird to see that Rent only hit 3 during the regular season.

3. sandog said, on March 14, 2019 at 7:23 am

I still think Zaidi has looked at our park and decided that going for homers is a lost cause. He has not brought in one single power hitter. I can’t say that I blame him.
    Going for pitching and defense while everyone else goes for power is a bold move. Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2019 at 7:43 am

going for pitching and defense is what Sabean and Evans did. The game has changed. You can have pitching and defense, but you also need power. And he’s an idiot if he thinks you can’t hit bombs at ATT. Left field is very much in play, our GM’s act like RH power hitters are kryptonite. It’s silly.

• sandog said, on March 14, 2019 at 7:57 am

I’m not convinced you have to have power to win. But my main point is that Zaidi sure as hell is acting like power is not a priority to him.
        I agree that RH power is the way to go if you want to add some inexpensive power, but Oracle was the second hardest park in all of baseball to hit homers last year. That tells me that we have more of an issue than our ridiculous right field arrangement.
        The park needs to be fixed, man. It was built for everyone being on steroids and HGH.

4. willedav said, on March 14, 2019 at 7:49 am

Relevant HR numbers for those in NL West are one thing, those AL teams playing in bandbox yards quite another
    . LA lost 80 HRs off last year roster in Puig Kemp Grandal Machado Dozier. Pollock/Seager maybe make up half that. Also Muncy hit 35 and that likely drops quite a bit too. So I can see LA hitting far fewer HRs than last season.
    Same applies to AZ, losing Golds Pollock Descalso equals -67 HRs. Adam Jones won’t make up much of that.

Go back and look at Marlins of 2017, when Stanton hit 59 and Ozuna 37. They couldn’t even get to .500 because their pitching staff had ERA of 4.80. There are just more factors to playing winning baseball than how many HRs you hit.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 14, 2019 at 7:50 am

Local scribes on The Twitter alluding to a trade in the next couple of weeks. Looking over the roster I don’t even know who would be enticing beyond Smith, Moronta and Watson. Not seeing those guys bringing back a legit stick.

• sandog said, on March 14, 2019 at 7:59 am

A trade for a good bat would be great, but I’m frustrated that there were all kinds of cheap free agents available that could have totally helped us that we didn’t go after. Way simpler than finding a trading partner.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 14, 2019 at 8:09 am

Agree. I’m unimpressed with Zaidi thus far.

6. zumiee said, on March 14, 2019 at 8:27 am

It’s a little early to be judging Zaidi, by about 3 years.

• sandog said, on March 14, 2019 at 8:30 am

He gets 3 years of slack before he can be criticized??? I know he came into a tough situation, but that makes no sense to me.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2019 at 8:31 am

The Giants are a beautiful house that got slowly eaten away by termites. The rebuild has to be big and systemic, and longterm.

• Bozo said, on March 14, 2019 at 12:00 pm

I don’t know Zum, Sabean was blasted from day one and continued to be blasted through 3 championships. So in that sense, I think the new guy is fair game.
      Zaidi came on board stating that he knew that this wouldn’t be a complete rebuild and he had to do it by putting a competitive team out there, every year. So either he thinks this team will compete for the NL West title or he blew it.

7. zumiee said, on March 14, 2019 at 8:30 am

Zaidi’s goal is to put together a franchise that will make the playoffs about 20 years in a row. But, yeah, admittedly, this year is going to be rough.

8. willedav said, on March 14, 2019 at 8:50 am

More ad nauseum numbers: the 2017 Orioles hit 232 HRs (down 20 from year before), good for 5th in AL. and they finished 5th and dead last in AL East with 14 fewer wins, because they gave up over 800 runs and had team ERA of 4.97. So what numbers here are more important? they were minus 60 in run differential.

If Giants can close gap from last year minus 100 run differential they can win more games. Large part of that imo is cutting down the runs (and bombs) allowed. I think this year’s team can score more than 600 of last season…enough to win how many games is question. And if they win I don’t care how “boring” they are.

9. Macdog said, on March 14, 2019 at 9:18 am

What the fuck is this ridiculous rule change to take effect in 2020?

“Rule 5.10(g) will be amended to require that starting pitchers and relief pitchers must pitch to either a minimum of three batters or to the end of a half-inning, with exceptions for incapacitating injury or illness.”

So if a reliever comes in and gives up back-to-back bombs, or a single and a HR, etc., he has to stay in and face one more batter even though he clearly sucks that day?

I’ve had no problem with managers bringing in a reliever to pitch to one batter. Is it sometimes maddening to watch? Yes. But there’s always risk involved, because unlike any other sport, once a player is taken out of the game, that’s it, he can’t come back in.

• willedav said, on March 14, 2019 at 10:34 am

yeah I don’t get that one it’s ridiculous. Kinda funny there is also rule proposal that even with added roster spot there can only be so many pitchers. understand it’s not set yet but I guess they want it to be max of half the team, 13.
      I like the rule about roster of 28 for September.

• xoot said, on March 14, 2019 at 11:28 am

The DL, or “injured list,” or whatever it’s called now, goes back to a 15-day span, too. The 10-day experiment appears to be over.

If the 2020 3-batter rule really takes effect–eliminating the LOOGY forever–it’ll be the biggest change since the DH, won’t it?

• Bozo said, on March 14, 2019 at 11:35 am

Also, if the All Star game goes into extras, each extra innings will begin with a runner on second base.
      The All Star break really will be a break for me now, a full break.

10. snarkk said, on March 14, 2019 at 9:46 am

Wow, rough crowd here for the ZMan. The guy camein facing a steaming pile of an organization. He’s got almost nothing of value anyone wants as trade assets. This year we can hope is at least somewhat entertaining, not much more…

11. sandog said, on March 14, 2019 at 11:21 am

Didn’t need to make trades, or even spend that much $ to make this team more competitve this year, but he whiffed on that chance.
    Contract-wise, he certainly did inherit a mess. Talent-wise, I think its not so bad for the time being—though admittedly I am one of the few people on here who feels that our infield and catcher group is still pretty good.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2019 at 12:01 pm

TF used to be adamant that Crawford is not a good hitter. I think we’re going to have to concede that one to him.
      Crawford’s career OPS’s:
      .584
      .653
      .674
      .713
      .782
      .772
      .709
      .719

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Agree with this. He didn’t even try.

• sandog said, on March 14, 2019 at 2:02 pm

Who didn’t try? Craw or Twin?
        As I recall, Twin was way more down on him than that and didn’t think he’d ever make it as a regular big league SS —let alone a starter on a multi championship team.
        In my book, Twin was dead wrong on Crawford.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2019 at 3:57 pm

I was saying Z didn’t even try. He could have added guys on the cheap who would not have been blocking anyone who would have made us more competitive this year…..

12. Macdog said, on March 14, 2019 at 12:13 pm

Interesting tweet from Baggs last night:

Steve Duggar came out of his first back-to-back starts with no issues and some hard contact. He had to dive back to 1B once, with his non-repaired arm. Still not cleared to dive in OF. He’s itching for trainers to remove those last restrictions.

I wasn’t even aware he hasn’t been allowed to dive in the OF. Uh, yeah, it’s hard to see this guy making it through a whole season.

• xoot said, on March 14, 2019 at 12:44 pm

He wasn’t even cleared to swing a bat, at all, when he started ST.

• alleykat69 said, on March 14, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Well if the teams taking a dive this year,Duggar should be able to dive with them..

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Duggs is another injury waiting to happen. He’s held together with rubber bands.

13. alleykat69 said, on March 14, 2019 at 3:17 pm

I agree with Dog and remember Twin ripping Crawford a new one over his fielding abilities, being bush league at best.Bush league fielders don’t win multiple GG which I doubt Twin recanted his quote..

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2019 at 3:59 pm

I seem to remember Twin recanting a little on Craw. When he came up and for like a year or two he was adamant that Craw wouldn’t be able to hit enough to stay in SF

14. djloo27 said, on March 14, 2019 at 5:22 pm

In some perverse way the 3 titles might have ruined us as fans forever.
    I can live with that for however long I have left.
    Giants don’t owe me a thing.
    The fuckin’ Chiefs do!

15. Macdog said, on March 14, 2019 at 6:30 pm

Another crap showing by Melancon. Thank god the 3-batter minimum doesn’t start until next year, Melancon having a 1-batter minimum is one too many.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2019 at 6:47 pm

they need to just cut bait. Dude was damaged goods when we got him and it’s pretty clear he’s never bouncing back to anything useful.

16. Flavor said, on March 14, 2019 at 6:46 pm

17. Irish Kevin said, on March 14, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Maybe this guy could replace Panik

18. snarkk said, on March 14, 2019 at 10:29 pm

Workin in kitchen listening to “Kind of Blue”, the famous jazz album from Miles and friends, circa 1959. Snarkette #2 had just played a bunch of Sinatra off of Spotify. She digs Sinatra. If you can’t get down and be cool with “Flamenco Sketches” with Miles and Coltrane and Bill Evans on Kind of Blue, well, you just gotta let it flow over you, and try again…

Say Something....

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s