Hoops

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 18, 2019

Ok, let’s talk college hoops for a second. Just the #1’s. Gonzaga, Duke, North Carolina, Virginia. I’m gonna say Gonzaga and Virginia are the 2 vulnerable #1’s—caveat is that I haven’t begun even a moment of March Madness research yet and I haven’t watched a single college game this year from start to finish.

Ok go, how close did I get?

1. willedav said, on March 18, 2019 at 7:07 am

Yes. Zags had zero competition in their league, unlike the other 3 ACC teams, yet still managed to lose to bid stealing St. Mary’s in conference tourney. Their bracket has Michigan and Tex Tech on bottom half plus Fla St and Marquette on their end. Good D teams that can slow them down can beat them.

Cavs I didn’t see much of but Bennett coached teams are good defensively. So off shooting night/low scoring game could happen. they have Tennessee on bottom half plus Wiscos (miss that guy) K St (who won share of Big 12) Nova.

Fun fact–Irvine, unfortunately best team in California, is like NBA alum team. They have JC Butler Caron’s kid, Collin Welp son of Christian, and Max Hazzard grandson of late great Walt Hazzard. they’ve won 30 games already.

2. willedav said, on March 18, 2019 at 7:28 am

Blade, I would have liked to have DJ LeMahieu on Giants. A RH gold glove 2b who hit just as many HRs on road as at home, as opposed to LH Joe Panik?. Yes splits differ quite a lot but isn’t that dramatically true of most Rox hitters?
    this was only argument I ever saw against Arenado’s big contract. Last year his OPS at home was 1.105, on the road .772 with a .248 BA.
    Same thing for Story–26 bombs at home, 11 on road. Home OPS 1.043, road .780. 55XBH at home, 30 away.

If any of these guys played at sea level an entire year, still think they’d be good hitters

• blade3colorado said, on March 18, 2019 at 8:09 am

Arenado? Yes, absolutely. He’s a once in a lifetime talent. Same deal with Tulo when he was in his prime. Although, I suspect the high altitude adjustment going back and forth from sea level caused Tulo (and others such as Helton) to be injury prone. Regarding LeMahieu, my reasons are numerous . . .

1. He would have asked for more to play in California versus New York due to our division, more or less, being considered a pitchers division; a pitchers park; and, California’s overreach on taxes (albeit, NY is expensive, but the other teams in the division where he would be playing, e.g., Toronto, Tampa Bay, Maryland, do not tax heavily compared to NL Western Division teams such as Pads and Dodgers}. Consequently, another costly contract.

2. His age, which is 30 and he turns 31 in a couple of months. Panik, for all his worts, is 28 and is VERY MOTIVATED to prove his naysayers wrong.

3. LeMahieu and Panik are both excellent defensively, with the edge going to LeMahieu with his outstanding 2.2 defensive WAR last season. However, again, I like the fact that Panik is younger than him.

4. LeMahieu has taken advantage of the thin air by posting a .329/.386/.447 slash line in the Rocky Mountains to this point in his career. Conversely, he’s pedestrian in his career away stats, .264/.311/.362. The disparity was especially stark last season when he hit .317 at home compared to .229 on the road.

You have good arguments too Willie, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree and see how it pans out in New York.

3. Bozo said, on March 18, 2019 at 7:31 am

Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. Burn me more times than I can count, fuck Gonzaga.

• Irish Kevin said, on March 18, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Tell us how you really feel about Gonzaga! Ha ha

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 18, 2019 at 9:18 am

Looks like Gerber and some other scrub were resigned to minor league camp. Z-man wheeling and dealing. derp.

• alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2019 at 9:25 am

Clearing space for Mike Trout..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 18, 2019 at 9:34 am

Don’t worry, kat. No doubt the Giants will be Trout’s second choice too and they’ll draft his little brother (who sucks).

5. alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2019 at 9:24 am

Agree Bozo,
    Zags are the most overrated team ever to play in the tournament! Perennial chockers every year,and the year they finally got to a final game they laid a big steaming shit to North Carolina!!

6. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2019 at 9:33 am

The fact that the Zags (enrollment 7,000) and even St. Mary’s enrollment 2,800) can even make it that far against these NCAA sanctioned b-ball powerhouses says something about their programs. They actually have academic standards far beyond a North Carolina or Virginia.

PS. I’m pinning all these mass-shootings at the feet of Trump. He is sowing discord across the globe. He’s a fuckiing mentally stunted narcissist who does not have any idea what he is doing. Everyone in Congress and the Senate should just oust him NOW.

Going after John McCain while 50 die over the weekend is yet another example of his absolute tone-deafness regarding the world around him.

• gianthead said, on March 18, 2019 at 11:36 am

A politician narcissistic???? Shocking!!! Nancy Pelosi in no way is a narcissist….

• unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2019 at 1:10 pm

You don;t think Trump’s words embolden white supremacists?

• unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Trump is truly a babbling idiot. The man has th4 IQ of a 2 year old.

“It’s truly incredible that shows like Saturday Night Live, not funny/no talent, can spend all of their time knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of ‘the other side.’ Like an advertisement without consequences. Same with Late Night Shows….

“Should Federal Election Commission and/or FCC look into this? There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia! Such one sided media coverage, most of it Fake News.”

7. gianthead said, on March 18, 2019 at 11:41 am

I’ve learned my lesson…I’m never fucking taking Gonzaga! Ever!!!

UVA is the other team I dont think makes it to the Sweet 16…I am predicting an Oregon upset. Given Duke is the favorite…VCU, if they get by UCF, can hang with Duke. They have size and shooting. The bums looked past Rhode Island to open up the A10 tourney, my kid was there broadcasting the game for the school station and then had to wait all weekend for the tournament to play out. VCU should have walked away with the championship…

8. Bozo said, on March 18, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Is anyone going to those As, Giants games coming up?

9. snarkk said, on March 18, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Seriously, what do you guys think they need to do with MelanBust? He’s been hammered every appearance so far in ST. After another offseason to rehab and get in shape. I saw him twice, live. His stuff absolutely was fooling nobody. I think the verdict is in and they should cut him. The strength of this squad this year is pitching. They have better arms available than this guy. What I think they will do is either put him on DL to start the season, or bring him along to start April and throw him to the fire. If he continues to get hammered, then they’ll cut him in May. With that contract, I think they simply do not want to cut him without one more shot against real competition. They just cannot use him in high risk situations in real games…

• alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Sadly this team just doesn’t eat huge contracts like Boston and others.With the one exception,Im still in shock that someone in the organization had the “cojones”to cut Rowand’s feeble attempt to be productive big leaguer,with his constipation stance ,and his dumb shit stubbornness to continuelly hit the down and away slider every pitcher in the league knew he would go after, feebly to 3rd or strikeout with.Maybe Z can show the balls now and be the man to cut Melon 🍉 face goodbye.

• blade3colorado said, on March 18, 2019 at 1:49 pm

AK, just my take, but as I said below, I think Zaidi gets his “marching orders” from ownership whenever “eat huge contract” situations arise.

• blade3colorado said, on March 18, 2019 at 1:45 pm

I’ll repeat what I said yesterday – ownership needs to tell the front office that it’s all right to dump his ass/contract. The front office wont do a damn thing, unless ownership recognizes that they blew it on this contract, decides to eat it, and tells Zaidi it’s okay to cut his ass from the roster.

By the by, my one great (white) hope for the season is going down in flames right now. Specifically, Beede is getting torched for 2 runs, including a bomb, 4 hits, a walk, in 2 innings. Pfffttt!

10. unca_chuck said, on March 18, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Mystery injury,

11. Bozo said, on March 18, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Teach him how to throw a knuckle ball.

12. alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2019 at 2:37 pm

At least this Travis Bergen lefty looks like the real deal this spring.Could make a trade of either Smith are Watson a possibility.Though 3 solid lefties in the pen is good too.

13. Bozo said, on March 18, 2019 at 2:46 pm

The Giants just dinking and dunking there way to a 4 run 5th inning..

14. Irish Kevin said, on March 18, 2019 at 3:14 pm

What I want to know is how do guys like Melon pass the physical when the Giants signed him? He went on the DL the first year!!

• alleykat69 said, on March 18, 2019 at 3:19 pm

With are crack medical staff quite easy actually, just think Glass Sanchez when they 1st got him..

15. Irish Kevin said, on March 18, 2019 at 3:19 pm

The NCAA, Television, sponsors. They would blow up the internet if Duke and NC were in the finals

16. djloo27 said, on March 18, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Anybody want to create our own group on Yahoo? We could do the whole bracket thing…

• gianthead said, on March 18, 2019 at 6:32 pm

I’m in Loo…money or not

• gianthead said, on March 18, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Will check back in tomorrow

17. djloo27 said, on March 18, 2019 at 8:15 pm

It may be too technical for me to set up.
    Do we have anybody young here?