Gearing Up For Last Place

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 19, 2019

We were out of coffee creamer this morning and that’s a non-starter in mi casa so I drove down to Safeway at 5am. They had the pre-morning show guy on KNBR. He was running a long audio clip of Zaidi who was talking about the outfield situation. The Z man listed off 2 minor leaguers I’d never heard of as examples of “guys with strong minor league track records.” He went on to say “It’s no secret, we are trying to add thump to our line up. Guys with strong minor league track records are going to get a chance to do that.”

I’m not sure if there is a lamer way to kick off a Tuesday morning. First with the no coffee creamer fiasco, and then the Z man bumming me all the way out. That quote, by the way, puts a huge hole in the theory that he’s trying to build a “Cardinals team from the 80’s.” Here’s what sucks about Zaidi: He’s got no problem with a *throw away year*. Working for the A’s, they did that shit all the time. I’m not under any illusion that this team was going to be good this year. But to not even try to plug holes, even on the cheap, is infuriating. Signing an “Adam Jones” or a “Marwin Gonzalez” or shit even a “Matt Davidson”—doing that would have blocked absolutely nobody. But at least it would have given us a chance to finish better than last place.

Call me crazy but I think you should try to win every year. Not the way we’ve been doing it, not at the expense of saddling the team with huge future commitments (Longo) or refusing to give young players a legit chance (Duvall, Oaf, etc…). Just try to run a competitive team out there.

I have absolutely zero fucking interest in watching a bunch of *AAAA players with strong minor league records* fiddle-de-do through the season…..

1. gianthead said, on March 19, 2019 at 6:48 am

There’s no evidence Farhan has been doing much of anything let alone thinking he was building a team on speed, defense and putting the ball in play.

But he is going to learn a big difference between Oaktown A’s and the Gigantes…they were used to no one showing up to the Coliseum. The Giants ownership is not used to any season at ATT/Oracle being less than 2.5 mill turnout. The fans are going to stay away in droves this year and ownership is going to be livid.

They could have given the Avisail/Adam Jones/CarGo trio $5 mill each and still have been under the luxury tax level by $20 mill and then go to camp and tell Cheesy Mac/Duggar/Slater/Parra…you wanna play? Beat those guys for jobs…I am willing to give Farhan a year. I dont live in Bay Area no longer but if I did I would not give the team a single dollar this year.

• gianthead said, on March 19, 2019 at 6:51 am

And what does a team of minor league thumpers that may have panned out for a couple of Flodgers for a year or two (let’s see what happens this year) going to do at ATT/Oracle???

2. willedav said, on March 19, 2019 at 7:22 am

mm mostly agree, bigger issue imo too many LHs. I’m OK with Duggar in CF and leadoff (platoon with Ferguson if you have to) but Parra Panik Belt Craw means 5 LHs. so what happens later innings in a close game when the LHPs come in? who is there to replace any of them beside Solarte, who isn’t exactly .900 OPS Justin turner? And no way you can put the words “thumper” and Cameron Maybin (pls no) in same sentence, except as diametric opposites.

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2019 at 7:46 am

It wasn’t maybin, it was two minor leaugers who have had a good camp who I had never heard of. I’m not following ST too closely

3. Macdog said, on March 19, 2019 at 7:46 am

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:14 am

So much for Ca taxes torpedoing a playing signing for big $ in Ca

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:16 am

Player

• Macdog said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:17 am

I like this MLB Memes tweet: “Great Deal for Mike Trout. $430 Million AND Octobers off.”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:22 am

Yup, the tax excuse is so much bs.

4. willedav said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:10 am

re: coffee. Gal I work with who grew up in Europe adds a choc mix to hers. She buys Colombian coffee and brews pot worth, then adds the choc stuff to her glass cup. I can drink the regular stuff she makes once in awhile, as is (black).

Read an interesting book by local writer “Monk of Mokha”. The bulk of the story tho was about the guy himself, a ne’er do well type involved in different mostly failed things before he got the idea to get deep in how coffee is made and go back to family roots in Yemen to try and bring their stuff here. Turned out to be harrowing tale getting out of there with goods from hinterland. good story, just less about the coffee industry than advertised.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:17 am

I don’t think the club will be as bad as some might think but looking at the NL West the only team below them last year was San Diego and they’ve improved. Its hard to see how they avoid last place. Krukow was on the morning show today and touched on Melancon. Saying his stuff isn’t there (ya think) but a guy with his track record (??) will have a chance to fix things because, well…his delivery could be out of whack. With Krukow openly criticizing Melancon I’d move him to 52% chance of being cut. The good news is Duggar was named the starting CF!

6. unca_chuck said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:17 am

So, we lost out on Trout already?

Oh well. Wait till the year after next!!

7. xoot said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:28 am

Good article this morning from Baggs on ST competitions. Esp. interesting discussion of Panik’s ST success and Hanson’s failure. (Odd fact: Panik has an option year left.) Baggs likes Beede’s improvement and waved away yesterday’s HR (Beede re-gathered and pitched well, etc. etc.) Rivera, Duggar, Moronta and Parra’s arm also got good reviews.

• gianthead said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:45 am

I can easily see Moronta as out closer and them dealing either or both Smith and Watson later in the year when their arms may be even more coveted….

8. gianthead said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:41 am

I am frankly stunned if Trout signs the extension…let’s see what leverage he gives himself with opting-out…

9. unca_chuck said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:47 am

He did. Schulman is also reporting that Melonhead is “50/50” to make the team. He may just get cut. Farhan has no loyalty to Zipper Arm, but I wonder how the brass will take Farhan’s biggest move being to eat $28 million.

10. zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:48 am

Krukow talked this morning about how the Giants have been quietly building a good bullpen.
    But, yeah, Melancon has got to go. He’s going to do nothing but hurt the Giants this season.

11. zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:49 am

The Adam Jones fascination kind of baffles me. The guy had a 0.2 WAR last season, and is now a year older.

• gianthead said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:59 am

Not so much see him as a savior but what’s a few million and one year.. I think it would give our youth a constant focus to prove themselves…they cant hang then we know whether to move on or not…

12. zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:54 am

Giants fans can’t have it both ways. If the fans wanted someone leading the franchise who is deep into the new analytics, then that’s what we’re going to have. He’s not going to sign a 0.2 WAR guy because that guy might hit 18 HRs for us. That’s just not going to happen.

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:58 am

he’s a year removed from a 3.8 WAR if you take out the defensive piece which is often bullshit. If he wasn’t going to block anyone and if he cost basically nothing AND he brings us 18 bombs, something none of these minor leaguers will be doing except maybe Oaf, then he would have made us better.

• willedav said, on March 19, 2019 at 9:58 am

RH option for OF, with power. I’m Ok with giving Mac a full on shot, but Jones would be bridge and a cheap one at that to whomever is supposed to come next. The whole idea of not having Gorks around any longer is to get a better hitter and I don’t see one out there.

13. gianthead said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:56 am

Report on Trout also says no opt-outs…very surprised.

14. sandog said, on March 19, 2019 at 9:36 am

I saw that Baggs article too. The Athletic coverage on the Giants right now is outstanding with Baggs and now Brisbee covering them on there. And Brisbee is on his best behavior since this is a new gig for him.
    I like Brisbee better when the “Whacky” dial for him is set to around 5 instead of 11—as it usually was on McCovey Chronicles.

It sounds like my boy Drew Ferguson ain’t gonna make it…..

I think Z is going to have to figure out a way to hold onto all these relievers until demand heats up mid season, and then maybe he can make a trade for a bit of an impact player or prospect.

• xoot said, on March 19, 2019 at 11:07 am

Baggs is doing really well, I think, in the freedom of his new editorial environment. He still digs deeper than the other beat writers and he’s talented. Brisbee imo still sucks. Last year Melissa Lockhard was back up for Baggs and her stuff was solid. Brisbee thinks his style justifies his love of fluff. He’s wrong. (The article I just noticed on the fake Lincecum twitter account is a good example of what I despise about GB’s work.) Unfortunately, it appears that Lockhard is being phased out of Giants coverage.

15. Bozo said, on March 19, 2019 at 10:52 am

With a weaker AZ team this year, a Pads team probably another year away and the Rockies being the Rockies, the Giants had a chance to do some series damage in the West. With their pitching, I still believe they can but adding some, hungry for a ring vets in the OF would have made this a bit easier.

Look, I get it when a GM leaves a question hanging because they don’t want everyone to know what moves they are planning. I totally understand all that new guy stuff and the need to get your people under you and to get your office/business in order, Hell, I even get it when the GM will not divulge all info on a player’s injury. Yep, these are no-brainers for me
    What I don’t understand is when Zdodgerdog was hired, he said he was going to build a competitive team this year based around a championship core. Sorry, I get the champioship core but it doesn’t look like he built much on top of that. I also don’t get when he said he was planning a flurry of moves and they never came. Or, the promises of a plan B after the Harper deal fell through, moves he said he’d been working on since November. All of that ended with a trade of Rupp, a non-roster invitee, for cash. Oh, and he replaced Hundley, Cutch and Pence with Mac, Parra and a catcher to be named later. Sorry, but that doesn’t really sound like much to me. I hope this dude proves me wrong but right now it looks like either Zdodgerdog failed at what he said he was going to do or he lied about it.

• unca_chuck said, on March 19, 2019 at 1:01 pm

I wouldn’t say ‘serious’ but they certainly could have done more to make the team interesting. One that would likely hover around .500 before the wheels fell off.

I get not throwing good money after bad, but one year deals to guys that could play decent would have been nice. We are in full tank mode. Sucks for Bochy.

16. xoot said, on March 19, 2019 at 10:57 am

I think it’s likely that Z swings a trade for a RH batter just before the season starts. Too bad Melancon tanked so badly in ST. At least one of the good arms from the pen will have to go to get a hitter.

As to El Con Man, why not put him on the injury list for a while, let him get blown up in minor-league rehab starts at the end of that period, and then quietly dump him 1/3 or 1/2 of the way through the season, after we’ve all forgotten about him?

• willedav said, on March 19, 2019 at 11:11 am

might work. Imo way too much angst over Melancon in general. Last year he only pitched 39 innings, about 3% of Giants total. 14 different guys worked more often than that and unfortunately lot of them had worse ERAs. I suspect this year with increased rotation and pen depth plus creative use of DL, there isn’t lot of room for him to get much work.
      and the $$$ is irrelevant to a team that couple weeks ago was talking about spending $300 mil one guy.

• unca_chuck said, on March 19, 2019 at 1:19 pm

the problem here is he may blow games early on that this team could otherwise win, and set the team on a deeper spiral. I mean, he’s owed a shit-ton of money and they are going to trot him out there to see if he has any value at all. When he fucks up horribly then we are in a deeper hole that we would have been in.

• willedav said, on March 19, 2019 at 1:37 pm

given the talent already here and healthy I doubt he gets much chance to “blow games early” or “fuck up horribly.” He’s an insignificant piece of a large puzzle and not worth stressing over. The others that will account for 97% of the innings are another story.

• unca_chuck said, on March 19, 2019 at 2:55 pm

The way Boch uses his relievers, he’ll get his chances. I’m sure Boch will be hearing from above that they need to know if Melonhead is good enough to trade, so he gets his shots.

The Rowand and Zito contracts (and the eating of Rowand) got Magowan fired. These owners don’t like eating deals.

17. alleykat69 said, on March 19, 2019 at 11:13 am

A 1/4 1/2 3/4 are full season in mediocrity is too much for me!Cut your losses and move on Giants before Krukow changes his homer stance again on Melonface and thinks it’s just a “Arm Slot Issue”

18. zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 2:27 pm

“make the team interesting. One that would likely hover around .500 before the wheels fell off”

I see what you’re saying, but I just don’t what that accomplishes. If given the choice between that and tanking, I’d rather tank, get the high draft picks, and hopefully Zaidi will draft well. He drafted well the entire time he was with the Dodgers. I doubt he’s suddenly going to lose the ability to draft decently.

• unca_chuck said, on March 19, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Well, yeah. It just depends on what is considered competitive I guess. I mean if you look at last year, we were on the fringes of the race and seemed like there could have been a push at the end. instead, we crashed and burned late August and collapsed 50 yards short of the finish line.

Fast forward to this offseason and we appear to be all-in on Harper. But the moves before and after that showed nothing but barrel-scraping. Like they don’t really know how to play it either.

If Farhan really thought a couple bats would at least keep the team near .500 then he should have done a couple Jones deals for the deadline push. If he thought all that was is smoke and mirrors for a dogshit team, well you do little to nothing like we did.

I guess. I’ve been pissed about the inaction, but I also see that lip-sticking the pig would do little to up the realistic chances.

But weirder shit has happened. Maybe they come out on fire and defy the odds. Which would make the inaction looks stupid as they likely couldn’t sustain it.

• Bozo said, on March 19, 2019 at 4:46 pm

I think it is a bit early to say that Zaidi drafted well for the Dodgers, Zum. it looks like his first pick in the 2015 draft with Walker Buehler was a good one, but I’m not sure who else will turn out to be a solid draft pick for him.
      Who am I missing?

19. zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 2:29 pm

The ironic thing about the Giants is that, in 2017, the Giants were trying really hard to win, and still lost 98 games, which got us Bart in the draft. That’s kind of funny, in a way.

20. zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 2:59 pm

Adam Jones turns 34 in August. In sabermetric years, that’s grandpa in a rocking chair.

• djloo27 said, on March 19, 2019 at 4:26 pm

In Mays-ametrics he should hit 52 homers…

21. zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Totally agree with Chuck, the Giants’ owners have made it clear over the years they are not digging the concept of eating contracts. I’m guessing Melancon will be allowed to come into games and be terrible for a short while, and then put on the longterm injury list, like Scutaro was. Show up to rehab a few times a week, and keep collecting big paychecks.

• zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 3:14 pm

How is that better than just eating the contract? I have no idea.

• zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 3:16 pm

I guess a case could be made that the team would be getting its pound of flesh from the guy. Scutaro had to do rehab stuff to keep getting the checks. That makes the owners feel a little better, I guess.

• xoot said, on March 19, 2019 at 5:29 pm

I don’t see that happening, this year.

22. djloo27 said, on March 19, 2019 at 4:23 pm

Where the fuck does a person put $430 million dollars?
    In their checking account?

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Safest bet Loo is to put it in a money market account, albeit, he would probably lose principal long term due to the extremely low interest rates. However, for investment purposes and as a hedge against inflation, my suggestion would be to put most of it in a mutual fund indexed to the S&P 500 (top 500 corporations in the USA).

• djloo27 said, on March 19, 2019 at 4:48 pm

So it can grow???
        As Ed Norton said: “It’s grown enough”

• Bozo said, on March 19, 2019 at 4:53 pm

He could always do what Tug McGraw said he’d do with his raise. – “Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women and Irish Whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste”

• xoot said, on March 19, 2019 at 5:27 pm

My favorite Irish whiskey these days is Writer’s Tears. It’s not green spot or red spot or red breast. It’s a lot cheaper, but very good. Came across it in Galway last summer.

• Bozo said, on March 19, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for the tip, xoot. I’ll give it a try.

• djloo27 said, on March 19, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Our corner bartender used to buy us 14 year-olds shots of this crap if we behaved…

23. djloo27 said, on March 19, 2019 at 4:54 pm

So if Trout takes his wife(?) out to dinner – you’re his waiter – and the check is $ 200.00.
    How much would he have to tip you to make you happy and not badmouth him afterwards?

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2019 at 5:14 pm

I’d expect him to tip normally, $40 or so. My favorite nickname for a player of all time is “No Tippin Pippin” because Scotty never tipped.

• djloo27 said, on March 19, 2019 at 5:20 pm

Not me. I’d expect $ 500.00 to $ 1,000.00 if I did a great job…

• willedav said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Alluding to what you were talking about re: Pac 12 recruiting, I saw Scottie Jr. play in the HS Open Division Championship for Sierra Canyon of Chatsworth. They won going away and he started at point. And is headed across the country to Vanderbilt.

24. djloo27 said, on March 19, 2019 at 7:56 pm

According to my math, it will take Trout approximately 2 AB to earn what Mays made in a full season…

• zumiee said, on March 19, 2019 at 8:42 pm

I really think that kind of thing is what has made Mays grumpy sometimes in his post-player years.

• djloo27 said, on March 19, 2019 at 9:01 pm

I’m sure you’re right about that, Zum…

25. Macdog said, on March 19, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Sorry Zum, but the Nets really needed that one. What a comeback.

• djloo27 said, on March 20, 2019 at 3:43 am

Understatement of the year, Mac!
      Net fans who understandably went to bed must be kicking themselves.
      All 25 of them…