April 6th: Our Reality Has Set In

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 6, 2019

I’m headed down to Costa Rica on Monday for a spell and internet will be spotty down there. So, the Giants are running out of time to *wow* me. So far, I’m not getting *wowed*. In fact, thing are unfolding exactly how we feared. My A’s fan buddy texted me last night saying “now that you’ve seen a week of Giants baseball, how many wins do you predict?” I just texted back “nothing has changed. Last place, guaranteed.” He checked in with “south of 65″….

It does suck that the pitching is competitive. Wasting a solid pitching staff on a throwaway year is frustrating. It really should be the other way around.

Of course I would have preferred the team be competitive this year, what fan wouldn’t? The people I don’t understand are the season ticket holders. Just like people who drive RV’s around the country all year, I want to look deep in their eyes and try to understand what they are doing. How do they justify supporting the team with such a huge financial commitment? Are they just happy to be at Oracle Park and then they’re good? Are they disappointed or did they legit not see this coming?

Everyone was so excited about the Bochy standing ovation yesterday and slapping each other on the backs for being such true fans. And he absolutely earned that standing O. But what happens as the season slodges down the drain? Are the season ticket holders just happy with their bobbleheads and trinkets? Are they content to just cheer for the ghosts and the legends of the past?

1. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 7:53 am

Have fun in CR.

I think at one point there was something like 15,000 Charter Member season ticket holders. Each of those people paid a seat license, in my case, my Club seats were originally $5,000 per seat. The money generated from that was used in building the ballpark. If you didn’t buy a year’s season ticket package you lost your investment on the seat licence (I sold the rights to my seats when I moved). So the Giants pretty much have those seats sold every year. I think the regular season ticket holders are on a tier thing where if the reupped each year they could get their same seats and/or move to better seats. If they didn’t they might not get as good of seat.
    There were times when my guest seat was probably the most expensive coat rack in SF.

2. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:00 am

The fans will need to enjoy the 65 wins as they each happen, and need to keep the future in mind.
    90+ losses will give us good draft picks.
    Bart, Ramos, and Anderson, and others will be here eventually.

3. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:08 am

Ah they’re just baseball fans like Bozo who invested and had a chance to be in the yard every day or not. Funny, Giants get a lot of heat most other blogs too for stupid $$$ spent, lousy farm yada yada, but…there are also comments from others that they’d sacrifice some suckitude for 3 WS (or even one) this decade.

Killion had column the other day about rebuilds and while she mostly missed the mark there is something to be said for fact that after extended period of awfulness like early 80’s, if you could suffer through it the end result was Craig/Rosen plus Thompson Clark Uribe Chili Davis. Same with post Bonds era resulted in excitement of Lincecum Cain Juan Uribe et al.

4. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:20 am

Chuck had a cool thought end of thread, meeting up at SJ Muni to watch Bart and Ramos. Traffic on 280 going South late afternoon/eve is a bit rough (side streets recommended) but yard is small, filled with families and lot of fun. Food is good too. Snarkk drove in from East Bay and met Blade and myself there, great time.

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:58 am

Agree Willie. In fact, I have as much fun, if not more fun at a minor league park, but ironically, for different reasons. Going to a minor league park just takes me back to a different era and reminds me of being a kid when I played little league and senior league baseball. Plus, being with you and snarkk was awesome because you are both students of the game. Great times. In short, I am much more down with going to a minor league game this season with you guys versus a Flapalooza in SF.

5. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:34 am

The thing about being .500 is, if you can get there by trade deadline you can make moves one way or the other. Beane, the master rebuilder (often after he tears his own teams apart) said this himself–either offload players you aren’t going forward with or add pieces to what you already have.
    Any team with successful drafts can rebuild, or not as in Giants case.
    Arroyo turned out to be nothing pick, taken 25th in first round. And unfortunately he’s part of succession of them.

6. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:42 am

Look at how LA has put together what they have—drafted Bellinger Pederson Seager Buehler (and Opie of course) but most others they have brought in from outside. This includes Muncy Turner Martin (and Grandal and Machado before him) Pollock Taylor Freese R Hill plus Ryu and Maeda from the Orient. It’s hardly mostly home grown at all—they’ve acquired great deal of talent from elsewhere to fill in areas of need.
    Hey maybe Z can do more of this but so far those he’s brought in seem very underwhelming in small sample size.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:53 am

Agreed.

• theroooster said, on April 6, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Martin came up through the Dodgers system, but yeah, point taken.

7. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2019 at 9:00 am

lqtm . . . “south of 65 wins.” I guess I am more optimistic than your buddy Flav. I predicted 65 wins in the off season, but yeah, I could just as likely be wrong and they do go further “south.”

8. wilcojoe said, on April 6, 2019 at 10:32 am

Yeah WillieD, we had a great time at the Astros home opener. There is just something special about the feel of Opening Day. Correa had a big blast, but other than that the Astros offense has been about as flaccid as the Giants.

9. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2019 at 11:15 am

Chhi was at yesterday’s game

10. gianthead said, on April 6, 2019 at 12:45 pm

What have we learned after basically a week about individuals?

Duggar is a legit starting CF and lead off. Posey may be done. Panik is showing little and looks like the game has passed Bochy by…

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2019 at 12:57 pm

I don’t know about Posey being *done*. He’s hitting the ball hard and he’s healthy. Let’s see where he’s at in a month.

• gianthead said, on April 6, 2019 at 1:42 pm

I said may intentionally but also only seen a few at bats..

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2019 at 1:02 pm

I would wait a couple of weeks regarding Posey. I posted yesterday:

“I am happy and encouraged about Posey getting off the dime. Both of his hits were shots, insofar as velocity (both at or above 102 I think). Too bad the bat was taken out of his hands by Longo. in the bottom of the 9th.”

11. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Posey has always had that power to Right Center driving the ball, still looks solid on that approach, but I would like him to turn on a few too, that would convince me the hip is coming along better.
    I also like what I’ve seen in Longo as far as coming in camp in good shape,and driving the ball much better then last year, being more aggressive and clearing his hips better.Yeahsometimes he looks overmatched,against pitchers that are chucking 97 plus, but a lot of players fall into that category..

12. snarkk said, on April 6, 2019 at 1:51 pm

65 wins seems low. This Giants pitching seems too good to be that low in wins, even with bad scoring. That’s headed towards the first year of the Mets bad.
    Anyway, I’m down with a Bartalooza down at San Jose.
    Let’s make it happen before Bart moves up to AA. ZMan does not like to waste a good young player’s time in the minors. So, his time in High A might be fairly short…

13. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Well now, lookie here fellas. Running and scoring.

14. snarkk said, on April 6, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Yeah, that Pillar fella got some action going…

15. Flavor said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Pillar showing in that one sequence what he can do, things nobody else on our team can do

16. Flavor said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm

GorkHead doesn’t make that catch.

17. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:35 pm

One batter too late…

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Old school managing. Let Smarj try to get out of the mess. Why?

18. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Before the season, Smarj criticized the opener concept. How’s this for irony.

19. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:44 pm

CJoe with a hit.Yaaass.

20. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Yeah you Right, bring em home.

21. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Diggin’ the Duggar.

22. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:46 pm

JOE! JOE! JOE! Hit and a score!

23. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Belt hits a long one.

24. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:48 pm

I like 6-3, I like it very much.

25. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:48 pm

Belt has belted it!

26. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Belt oppo blasto!

27. Flavor said, on April 6, 2019 at 2:50 pm

He should be batting clean up now that he’s swinging the bat like a man…..Glad I got to see a game like this before I left

28. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 3:02 pm

And Belt is playing some D. Awesome play.

29. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2019 at 3:03 pm

Belt’s doing it all today! That was a big time fielding gem!

30. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Current theory in baseball is bat your best hitter #2. Belt is in the right spot according to that theory.

31. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Cards have lost two in a row to the Padres.

32. Bozo said, on April 6, 2019 at 3:57 pm

We win one. Woo Hoo.

33. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 3:57 pm

Smith gets them! Dyson Moronta Watson to Smith gets it done.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 3:58 pm

34. Macdog said, on April 6, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Alright, 1st home win of the season!

35. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Great job by the Giants. Off topic – congratulations to 82 year old Al Attles for his induction in the Naismith HOF. One of my favorite players and coaches back in the ’60s and 70s.

• alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2019 at 4:45 pm

Al Attles hard nose player, very worthy to be elected in HOF for the man they called “The Destroyer” for his punishing defense!!

36. sfsarge said, on April 6, 2019 at 4:26 pm

Howdy ho Flappers. Great day to be at the yard. Very nice to see Pillar get something going. All of our hitters suck. Don’t know how they managed to score score 6 runs. But it was fun, can’t complain.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2019 at 4:43 pm

nice Sarge! Decent Flap representation at these first two games. I second all the other calls for a Flapalooza down in San Jose, I’ve never been, that would be fun

• sfsarge said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm

That sounds really cool. Not sure I’d be able to make it, but I would love to get down there for that.

37. Flavor said, on April 6, 2019 at 4:51 pm

definitely an early move by me but I’m gonna give The Departed a looksie, I’ve heard good things.

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Flav, I guarantee you will love it. Great movie with a few surprises.

• sfsarge said, on April 6, 2019 at 6:01 pm

You won’t be disappointed, excellent movie

38. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:11 pm

wow what a final tenths of second ending for UVa Auburn.

39. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Guy hit 3rd FT, and Cavs win it. So much for what I thought a vulnerable #1…I thought they were 3 rd best entry from their own conference. Tough call on the foul but Auburn defender did move forward into shooter’s space.

40. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:16 pm

Except for having to listen to Fosse and the other Kuiper, it’s great Stros and A’s are in same division because all their games are watchable here. Stros are fun team hope they do well.

41. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:33 pm

Night Wilt scored 100, who was second leading scorer for Philly?
    None other than Al Attles, who had what might have been his best night ever as shooter, 8-8 from floor plus 1-1 FT 17 points. He always joked no one would remember it.

• djloo27 said, on April 6, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Like Jose Pagan hitting his first 2 ML homers in the same game Mays hit 4 at County Stadium in 1960…

42. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Right call on the 3 pt shot as he did lurch forward into the shooter.82% FT shooter just about money to make em all!!
    Should not of even come to that finish if the Refs didn’t botch that obvious double dribble when the player dribbled the ball off his leg, then started dribbling again, how do you miss that call??

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:48 pm

I didn’t pick up on the double dribble when it happened, but yeah, the refs can’t miss that. And agree about the last foul, tough call but there was contact with the lower body that may have affected the shot. The really stupid foul was the one before it after the double dribble and Virginia had to put up a heave.

43. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 5:46 pm

The basketball Hall of Fame is more generous than the baseball Hall of Fame, taking the person’s whole life in the sport into account, which is cool. There’s no way the equivalent to Al Attles in baseball would make it in, which is too bad.
    Someone like Lefty O’Doul should easily be in the baseball HOF because of the combination of accomplishments in his life in baseball.

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Agree. I think they termed Al’s entry as “Other Contributions.” Additionally, he is in very bad health and I am not certain about this, but I believe I read that he left the hospital because he wanted his last days to be spent at home with family. The HOF knew about this. There must have been upwards of a dozen individuals inducted today. That would never happen in baseball’s HOF (or Farce Of Fame as I like to call it).

44. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 6:42 pm

A topic talked about on the Fox game of the week is about teams who expect to be big contenders this season who are having bullpen issues.
    Giants could possibly be in on some trades for prospects, I would think, if and when the Giants brass sees the season as lost.

45. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Attles went 8-8 and scored 17 points with 5 rebounds.

Wilt got 100 that night. WHere was the defense?

attles

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Even back then, the Knicks were tanking.

• willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 7:35 pm

rims were apparently really soft. Wilt, notoriously 50% shooter from FT, hit 28 of 32.

46. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2019 at 7:05 pm

For a guy who was a shit free throw shooter, you have to be impressed by Wilt’s 28-32 shooting on his 100 pt night…

47. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Unfortunately there’s no film or video of Wilt’s 100 point game. The NBA was low on the sports media radar in those days.

48. willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 7:36 pm

man Tech is really physical and now they are starting to score. Didn’t think anyone could out muscle Sparty.

49. zumiee said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Tech is old-school slow tempo.

50. Macdog said, on April 6, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Should be fun watching Virginia try to score against this Texas Tech team.

• willedav said, on April 6, 2019 at 9:42 pm

mm hope refs allow them to play their game. .