Bad Bum

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 9, 2019

Oh what the hell, one more thread before I leave the country. I’m sitting in LA right now and it’s awful. My skin in crawling. Hate this place…

Bumgarner was handed a 5 run lead and blew it. In keeping with his *lucky* season he didn’t get saddled with the loss, good ol’ Moronta got that one.

MadBum is a post season legend. I had hoped Zaidi could hoodwink a contender into paying up for that. But the cat is out of the bag. He’s no where near what he used to be. The Bumgarner I know would have murdered himself for torching a 5 run lead. And yet, this morning he still walks the earth…

Bochy is also partly to blame for the loss. He’s afraid to pull Bum. Or maybe he’s just too old school for the game anymore. Regardless, he leaves his pitchers in too long. It’s a hole in his game he’s had for a while now.

Not that any of this matters.

Later.

1. snarkk said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:02 am

Bochy couldn’t leave well enough alone, and pull Bum after 6. No, he had to tempt the baseball gods and third time through. For no good reason. Why do they have all those Pen arms, if not to take it through the last 3 with a decent lead? This is what a bad team does. Finds lots of ways to lose, and screw whatever trade value is left in the only real trade asset you’ve got on the 25…

• blade3colorado said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:44 am

Similar to what I said yesterday morning, what I consider worse is that this outing has an exponential effect, insofar as Bum’s trade value. Instead of getting something for him a couple of seasons ago, last season or even during this last hot stove season, we’ll probably end up getting very little in value by the time he is dealt. Sheesh, who knows? Maybe by the trade deadline, his performance will define him as being just another “guy” as Flav said last night.

In my opinion, I don’t think Bum gets better. Again, so far he’s pitched in pitcher’s parks. Wait until he hits the bandboxes, Arizona and Sherpa land.

2. wilcojoe said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:47 am

Flannery’s tweet last night couldn’t have sat well with the Giants honchos. If that’s what he thinks of Zaidi, you can only imagine what his drinking buddy Bochy must think, having to work for him. It really is quite reminiscent of Art Howe and his relationship with Beane in Moneyball.

• blade3colorado said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:02 am

Joe, can you provide the link? I went to Flannery’s Twitter account and I am uncertain about whether he deleted it.

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:07 am

Flannery is known to drink and tweet, I bet he deleted it when he sobered up

• blade3colorado said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:08 am

Flav, is it this one?

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:15 am

Yes. Bullshit tweet by him.

3. sandog said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:08 am

I like Flan, but I thought that tweet was lame. I’m down with this scavenger hunt on Zaidi is on. Tyler Austin seems like a pretty good get for us—-though I had never heard of him before yesterday.

That shot by Reyes was quite a blast. Am I wrong, or was that one of the longest left field bombs ever at ATT?
    Only 2 I’ve seen longer were Galaragga and Ian Desmond.
    Could you imagine the fallout on here if Melancon would have served that up?
    Seems to me the hype on Moronta may be a bit premature….

4. gianthead said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:11 am

If there was any more case ofbl the game passing Bochy by it was last night. I actually listened in to the play by play while watching the national championship and Bum was lucky not to get pulled in the 5th.

5. gianthead said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:15 am

Bum also is going to lose out on the big payday. He might be in Keuchel land next off-season. His drop-off from 2017 to 2018 was so dramatic that everyone wants no part of Keuchel’s arm.

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:29 am

“keuchel land” lol that’s classic. Scottie Pippin is in front of me in line. I’m not close enough to see if he’s gonna tip the cashier. #notippinpippin

• gianthead said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:33 am

Hate frickin LA as well…enjoy vaca

6. gianthead said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:31 am

Oh yeah, forgot to post this yday about my Top 5 Warriors of All-Time….

1) Latrell Sprewell
    2) Draymond Green
    3) Bernard King
    4) Tim Hardaway
    5) Jason Richardson

Honorable Mentions: World B. Free, Purvis Short, Baron Davis and Captain Stephen Jackson.

My favs maybe most heavily weighted on how much of the Warriors I watched in that era. Post grad school in KY and moving back home, Latrell became my favorite Dub and a rookie and they go on and win 50 games his second season with CWebb as a rookie. That team could have been destined for greatness and brought back the championship by the Bay first but Nelson that fuckhead put himself of team and blew it up. His head should have been chopped off.

I did not get to watch much of the Dubs during college in the mid to late 80s so missed a lot of Mullin and by 1990 and Run TMC, Hardaway to me was the man. I give JRich a lot of credit for bringing the franchise back and the softest spot in my heart is for that 2007 8 seed team who pulled off the grandest upset of all time and just loved the leaders of that team in Jackson and Baron!!!

• James said, on April 9, 2019 at 4:58 pm

Love Latrell at number 1.

7. willedav said, on April 9, 2019 at 10:52 am

Bum couldn’t figure out Tatis either. The walk before the first bomb he was all over the place and couldn’t put him away up 0-2. Still think he’s figuring some things out and isn’t total waste.
    Moronta is another story. His job there is hold the lead get out of the inning unscathed and instead mis locates one that winds up headed for Marin. 2 blown saves and 2 Ls already, not good.
    Listened to podcast with Hank and Kuiper (who does detest post game wrap more on that later). Kuip said as long as Kruk can get to the yard and in his seat he is full on into it. Does NOT see him retiring any time soon even if he only is able to do home games.

Kuiper said Giants told him and the others to go about regular routine during the Wrap just as if it weren’t being filmed. so he said if he’s hungry he will eat something like a hotdog or chips etc. I never watch this and rarely listen to it; Giants as a whole are hard enough to watch these days.

Only solace: “It’s still early…I don’t think we’re going to be too down about it…There’s a lot of season left and the sooner we can get things going our way, the better.” sound familiar spin? Nope this from A’s Matt Chapman after 4 th L in a row on road 12-4 pasting by lowly Orioles. And those first few words are right, about everyone.

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 11:11 am

The difference is, the A’s have good players.

• willedav said, on April 9, 2019 at 12:24 pm

agreed but 6-8 is because they aren’t playing well like other teams off to slow start Long season, as Jim Brosnan wrote long time ago. Remember reading it on school bus 6th grade, ’62.

8. alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 11:42 am

It only took one game but hey Tyler Austin tied Connor Joe at 1 on the all time Giants hit list!!

9. alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Yeah it’s still so early in the season on how a lot of teams are performing.Who would of had the Mariners at 10-2 with the number 1 power ranking led by a chubby left handed hitter named Dan Vogenhack are whatever his name is hitting 2 bombs and knocking in 6 runs just the other day!
    Giants are tied with Boston at 3-8 (though their finally going to get some home cookin and play their opener)so it’s just a shit sandwich 🥪 until all teams play 25 games are more..

10. unca_chuck said, on April 9, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Problem is, 3-8 is what we are. We aren’t going to majically go on a tear or anything.

11. snarkk said, on April 9, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Through 5 games at San Jose, our savior Bart’s line:
    .417 OBP
    .650 SLG
    1.067 OPS
    .300 BA
    He homered and doubled last night, with 3 RBIs.
    The guy might be in San Jose till June, then gone, if he keeps that up…

12. snarkk said, on April 9, 2019 at 4:42 pm

BTW, Flannery is a loose cannon and worth ignoring…

• alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 5:20 pm

Same can be said about Pat Burrell on the postgame show.Big pause, then adds little out of his trap.Just have a feeling, he’s just going thru the motions thinking about the next chick he can bang..

13. James said, on April 9, 2019 at 5:04 pm

I saw Reyes bomb from 3B club level last night. Not sure I’ve ever more immediately recognized a homerun.

• djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 6:37 pm

• James said, on April 9, 2019 at 6:42 pm

I can see why one would think otherwise, but there are a lotta white guys named Connor out there . . . .

14. James said, on April 9, 2019 at 6:04 pm

I read the Menand piece Xoot linked to the other night. By contrast, I’ve never read or seen “Moneyball,” references to which seem to color pretty much any broader discussion of sports analytics. I suspect its arrogant stats geeks are caricatures that don’t acknowledge that they are operating on the margins.

The organization that put together, for example, the 70s Reds could be just as successful today over a few years, even if they completely ignored all the SABR shit. That same organization would undoubtedly be less successful matched against another that was completely analytics driven over a 100 year span. There is no alternation back to the “human” that would give either a leg up.

15. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 9, 2019 at 6:18 pm

I certainly don’t know what’s going on with Bumgarner, nor have I settled on either side of the trade or don’t trade issue that’s debated here fairly regularly (with the “trade” crowd definitely bigger at this point). One thing I think is that this is not the same as Timmy losing it physically; seems to me Bum’s alright physically but his *problem* might be more between his ears. He turns 30 this year, yes? He could physically still have a handful of decent years. Just seems at this point he’s a bit… uninspired playing for a shit team. Get him on a better team gunning for the post-season and his focus might come back. No way do I think he’s done, although he might be as a Giant.

• James said, on April 9, 2019 at 6:40 pm

He’s not as “done” as Timmy at this stage, because he’s a lefty, has better command and the very good breaking stuff. But he has declined physically. 90-92 is not going to get you the same results as 92-94.

16. djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 6:48 pm

1. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
    2. Tyler Austin (R) 1B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) LF
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    7. Yangervis Solarte (S) 2B
    8. Gerardo Parra (L) RF
    9. Derek Holland (S) P

17. djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 6:55 pm

I didn’t think Belt would see the OF regardless of the desperation level.
    And I still don’t like it…

18. djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 7:21 pm

Uh-oh another 5 run lead…

19. Macdog said, on April 9, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Good news: Another 5-0 lead.
    Bad news: Still 7 innings left to gag it away.

• djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Hey Mac: Devils – Rangers finish 1-2 in Draft Lottery…

• Macdog said, on April 9, 2019 at 7:32 pm

I saw that. Reminds me of video I saw last week of Rangers-Devils game at the Rock, fans uniting to chant “We both suck.”

20. djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Pillar…the new Pat Tabler?

• alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Pat Tabler Wow 😮 that was a solid pull on your part Loo!

21. James said, on April 9, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Good to see RHers doing something against the ridiculous number of LH pitchers SF faces.

22. James said, on April 9, 2019 at 7:52 pm

“A Jeff Kent smile” — pretty good.

23. Macdog said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Pillar must have more hard-hit balls the last two games than all the Giants combined this season.

• Bozo said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:05 pm

You might be right about that, Mac.

• alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:14 pm

Yeah that ball he smoked the 1st time up to LF had the left fielder checking for cracked ribs it was on him so fast…

• willedav said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:17 pm

smoked that line drive SF. Miller said on radio he hit the double harder than the bomb.

• James said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:21 pm

That would be 3. When he matches that awesome week or two that Count Chocula put together in the days of yore, I’ll be really impressed.

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:23 pm

You’re too much of an elitist to appreciate Pillar. But I”m standing by my first call, he’s gonna be your 2nd fav giant at some point. Seriously, who do you like more than Pillar right now (besides Belt). This team sucks it’s ok to enjoy some of the moments

24. Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:21 pm

I’m drinking tequila and shoveling pasta into my mouth, I haven’t eaten all day. Checking box score, looks like Pillar is a rich man’s Gorkey’s, eh James?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Are you still stuck at the airport?? 🙂

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:29 pm

I am literally sitting on a beach eating pasta and washing it down with tequila. Good times.

• djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Who’s meeting me in Coney Island this summer?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Yeah, good times, enjoy.

• James said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Ha, respect the fact I didn’t troll you about the 2 critical DPs he into, BF, not to mention all the other shitty contact! Pillar ain’t no single village Mezcal, but I was cheering as loudly as anyone in the stands last night after the slam.

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:32 pm

All I’m asking is that you keep an open mind. And he was basically acquired for free. I’m actually more excited about Austin. At least we have a GM now who isn’t sleeping through the season like a damn hibernating bear.

25. willedav said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Key to tonite is Holland striking out myers twice in a row. Machado jogging down to 1b, get used to it Pads fans.

26. Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Now we just gotta get buster out of the 4 spot for me to completely chill out

27. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Agree about now having a GM who won’t just give up on a Brad Penny year. In fact, I doubt that is ever something we will ever hear Z say.

28. zumiee said, on April 9, 2019 at 8:57 pm

I’ve always been very open to Belt in left field. Suddenly the outfield offense gets better overall with Belt and Pillar. Lose a little defense at firstbase, but the Giants need to try things.

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:00 pm

People freak out too much about defense. We need fucking offense. And we are starting to get a little.

• alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Damm right Flavor!!
        Get some Boppers out there!!
        Unleash Hell with the Sticks!!!

• djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:37 pm

29. alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:06 pm

Boch said to Austin when he just arrived that he didn’t want to throw him in early to the wolves 🐺to play LF,( I know he will eventually get starts out there)thus he talked to Belt who said no problem skippy!

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Posey is the next the guy who needs to suck it up. Catching full time is a bad idea for him.

• alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Yeah but catching Kratz anytime is a worse idea..

30. alleykat69 said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:12 pm

If they don’t want to bring Garcia up, I say let Panda get the catcher mitt back on! Got that Zman you want guys with flexibility, here’s your chance with Pablo..

31. djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:27 pm

• Macdog said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:31 pm

A win combined with the earlier start time is a good thing.

• djloo27 said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:40 pm

• zumiee said, on April 9, 2019 at 9:43 pm

32. unca_chuck said, on April 9, 2019 at 11:03 pm

Wow. Magic walks out on the Lakers. Tells no one and annonces it 20 minutes before their last game.

Ouch. Now he can focus full time on fucking up the Dodgers.

33. unca_chuck said, on April 9, 2019 at 11:07 pm

Posey should be batting 7th at the highest. He has 0 power, 0 speed, and 0 RBIs. He ISN’T catching full time. He’s had 3 games off in 12.

• djloo27 said, on April 10, 2019 at 4:13 am

He can have Adrianza’s old nickname…

34. djloo27 said, on April 10, 2019 at 4:49 am

Looks like 248 AB since the last Buster bomb on June 19th.
    Somewhere Twin is calling me a fuckwad…