PillarMania

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 10, 2019

I have a private beach 50 yards from where I’m sitting right now. And what am I doing? The same thing I do every morning when I wake up, I’m firing up a blog thread. My commitment to Flavor Nation is unquestioned.

I woke up inspired. Not by the beautiful paradise outside my window but by Kevin Pillar. He is the first Giants since Barry Bonds to have back to back 4 RBI games. Pause to consider how pathetic our hitters are that he’s the first to do that in 17 years. Gorkey’s Hernandez, Pillar is not…….

His OPS with San Francisco is a terrible .514. But his defense, his sb’s and his power have resulted in 3 games won nearly all by himself (I am counting the grand salami game as a win). Using the Flavor War Calculator that gives him an even 3.0 (FWAR) in his first 7 games. That’s gotta be a record, too. And if you don’t like how I calculate WAR that’s not my problem. 🙂

Now I have to go find out how to rent jet skis I will check in with you guys later….

Literally my backyard for the next week: I took this pic this morning just outside our back door.

Screenshot 2019-04-10 at 9.42.31 AM

1. willedav said, on April 10, 2019 at 7:29 am

Defense in CF and RF at Oracle does matter. Btw Duggar and Pillar plus Parra that should be great. I also think it matters at other spots too, but Belt in LF shouldn’t be that big a deal. If Austin can hit and be adequate defensively, fine.

Pillar did one funny thing Monday. He was hitting 8th and leading off 3rd inning ahead of Bum, swung at first pitch and grounded out to 3b. Flem on radio said Bum wasn’t yet ready to hit and still putting batting gloves on, then later in his AB went back to on deck circle to get pine tar on bat before striking out.
    Um maybe it’s just an AL thing. Anyway he shouldn’t have to bat 8th anymore after last few days.

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 7:33 am

my dream is that we trade a bag of balls to KC for BillyHam and create the single greatest outfield defense of our lifetime. Imagine the ground those 3 could cover….

• unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:31 am

Did you see Ham score from 2nd base on a sac fly yesterday? Pretty awesome. Don’t think I’ve seen that since the heydays of Mays.

2. zumiee said, on April 10, 2019 at 7:58 am

Great main post, BF. It had me cracking up.

3. zumiee said, on April 10, 2019 at 7:59 am

Day game today, everyone!

4. snarkk said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:10 am

Holland the ACE?…

5. Stan Shell said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:15 am

BF, what beach town are you in?

OSF

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:38 am

Close to playa potrero

6. willedav said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:29 am

Ha Billy Ham. Hadn’t heard much from him so checked into KC stats. Um, .297 OB 9 hits (all singles) 2 BBs in 37 plate appearances. Maybe he heats up when whether does in KC. Still think speed guys are endangered species in “way game is played today” unless you can hit like Betts.

Flav have fun in costa rica and stay healthy (don’t get hurt!). this is very popular travel spot, hear it a lot at work from locals who head down there in summer and/or Holiday season. Lot of them have something set up so they go every year.

• Macdog said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:58 am

Just saw a vid showing Billy Ham scoring from 2nd on a sac fly last night.

• sandog said, on April 10, 2019 at 9:28 am

I remember seeing that happen once before, and it was not someone you’d expect who pulled it off—-The Boomer, George Scott of all people.

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 9:45 am

He’s electric. And the doubles and triples would start piling up if he hit at Oracle. Seriously, imagine how many runs an outfield of BillyHam, Pillar and Dugger would save.

• gianthead said, on April 10, 2019 at 11:50 am

Sounds Flav like you are buying into my Cards of the 80s strategy:)

7. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:33 am

Be a great day to sneak out of work and buy a cheap bleacher seat. . . Hmmmmmm.

• wilcojoe said, on April 10, 2019 at 9:16 am

I read yesterday Field Club seats were listed for as low as $14 on StubHub.

8. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 9:01 am

Can he hit for power?

9. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 10:43 am

this dude seems like more trouble than he’s worth…

• gianthead said, on April 10, 2019 at 11:55 am

Bosa sounds like my kinda guy…rookie of the year lock!!! At least on my ballot…think Niners draft him if he is there…

10. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 11:11 am

Wow. Nice job, Bosa. I keep thinking we are going after QWilliams, and this is a little more incentive to stay away from Bosa. His injury to his core was pretty intense.

11. Bozo said, on April 10, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Pillar is having him some fun.

12. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Wow. Pillar is killing it.

13. Bozo said, on April 10, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Kratz! You’re allowed to slide in this league, Bub.

• Bozo said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:32 pm

After getting a gift double that Myers lost in the sun, he saunters into home with a high throw that he just walked into, a slide would have beat it.

14. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 2:21 pm

Didn’t see what happened. What happened?

15. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Shit!

16. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:03 pm

Pfffffffffffffffffffffft

17. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:03 pm

Wasting oppos.

18. zumiee said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:13 pm

There’s a Posey/Longoria axis of futility going on right now. It’s pretty concerning.

19. zumiee said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:16 pm

In the Bosa article it says that he thinks Trump is the greatest president of all time.
    Of all time.
    That’s a level of staggering ignorance that you really can’t do anything with.

• djloo27 said, on April 11, 2019 at 4:21 am

Dumb motherfucker should read up on the vastly underrated James K. Polk…

20. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Pillar bombing it is just gravy, he isn’t going to do that regularly nor should we need him to. Posey, Longo, Belt, Crawford, these fucking guys need to start hitting……

21. zumiee said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Longoria did something! I’m kinda shocked.

22. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Wasting opportunities down the line. Up to Belt. Yet again. Our only hit with runners in scoring position was Kratz of course so he couldn’t score on a single by D-Rod.

23. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:23 pm

double pfffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

24. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:31 pm

Christ. Posey needs to go down for Garcia.

25. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Bench Panik for Solarte.

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Panik has sucked for years, it makes no sense to keep running a guy out there who is slow and weak. You can’t be both in today’s game…..

26. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:36 pm

I’m actually willing to give all these aged vets a month or so to get going. Maybe they need the weather to warm up or something. Posey being this impotent, after supposedly getting surgery to get him healthy, just doesn’t make any sense. Shit, he was better with a bad hip..

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:39 pm

After years of playing in pain, his swing is messed up. Hopefully he can find his good swing again, now that he’s not in chronic pain anymore.

27. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:39 pm

There is nothing like just floating around in the ocean. Nothing but your body weight treading water. It’s like I realize how stressed out I always am when I get in the ocean and just drift around, finally letting myself relax for a while…..

• Bozo said, on April 10, 2019 at 4:54 pm

I hear that.

28. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:42 pm

Pitchers still like throwing to Posey, so there’s that. They jizz in their pants when they see him in the squat. That’s worth something. But he can’t keep hitting in the 4 hole. At this point literally anyone else should hit clean up…..

29. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Right. He should be 7th It’s not like Posey himself doesn’t see what is happening. Our #4 hitter last year had 5 home runs. That’s one week for any other #4 guy, not a fucking season.

30. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 4:28 pm

PK getting so deep here I have zero idea WTF he’s talking about

31. pawliekokonuts said, on April 10, 2019 at 4:38 pm

Costa Rica? I was at KFC a few months back. Two Spanish chix. One hot. I flirted. I sat down with them. They liked me. Costa Ricans. The hot one, Rosina, was married. I don’t remember if I was still *with my gf. She’s in jail now. Happens.

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 4:57 pm

lol, how’d she end up in jail? Please disclose.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 10, 2019 at 5:14 pm

A couple outstanding warrants. Let’s leave it at that. It was a matter of time. No, I didn’t bail her out. My foray into the demimonde features endings like this. Whither, Kokonuts.

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 5:32 pm

you should bail her out just so she could go on the lam. That would be a great story. Oh fuck it, leave her there. You’re too old for that shit, PK

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 5:37 pm

“demimonde” –what an outstanding word that only the wordsmith himself might use….

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:17 pm

She was on the lam all the time I knew her; could’ve gotten stopped anytime. My Year of Living Dangerously with a Thirty Something.

32. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 5:48 pm

this is pretty good (from 2017). He films these in his car because he can get loud. He spits right in his own car. Not as good as the original rant but right up there including the ending where he’s gasping for air.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:18 pm

I refused to look at the score once I saw there was a man on 3rd with no outs in the top of the 9th.

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:29 pm

at least Belt didn’t strike out looking on a ball once inch outside the strike zone. That’s growth as far as I’m concerned.

34. pawliekokonuts said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:24 pm

My friend Dan Valenti gave me a copy of Sport magazine from 1957. Great piece on Don Larsen. Quite the party boy. Mantle said Larsen was the ‘best’ drinker he ever saw. Several years ago, Larsen auctioned off the uniform he wore for the perfect game, for his grandkids’ college. Got $750K. He made history with the Giants too. The pennant-clinching playoff game against LA in 1962? He relieved Marichal and got the win. Also got a WS win. He’s 89, lives in Idaho, and looks like 40 miles of bad road.

I’m reading the Felipe Alou bio. It’s good.

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm

*40 miles of bad road*…you’re on fire tonight.

• willedav said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:28 pm

ha great story. Yes, loved “Alou”

35. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:31 pm

Kokonuts, what did she do to get flagged? I get that she had outstanding warrants but what was the most recent brush with the law? You can live your whole life with outstanding warrants…..as long as you never get pulled over again

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:38 pm

Driving without lights on; brilliant; no, I wasn’t with her. I got stopped several weeks ago because I slid in the snow past Tipp Hill’s famous green-on-top light. A deputy was at the intersection. Walks up to me. “I slid.” “It’s that slippery?” “Apparently so,” I replied. “Your license, please. Ever had a moving violation?” “No, sir. Not yet. I never have had more than a parking ticket. Why, you wanna give me one?” He chuckled. I said it the right way. Sent on my merry way. #whitemaleprivilege My youngest daughter was pissed. “Great, Dad. I go through a school zone and get nabbed. But you…”

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:40 pm

every single time I’ve been pulled over I’ve gotten a ticket. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:42 pm

worst run in with the law I ever had was a DUI back in 2008. Driving with high beams on. It was my girlfriend’s car and she had left them on, I didn’t notice right away, bang, busted. Lights can be very revealing in more ways than the obvious…..

36. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:39 pm

ladies getting thrown in the slammer. Man, what’s the world coming to? My old man taught me something a long time ago: he said “if you’re surrounded by friends of questionable integrity go get new friends.” It wasn’t the most profound thing I ever heard but I never forgot it.

37. Flavor said, on April 10, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Chris Davis 0-1 pinch hitting tonight.

38. willedav said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Sharks Pavelski takes slap shot from burns that hits him square in face as he’s in front of net and goes in.

39. willedav said, on April 10, 2019 at 8:44 pm

“He’s electric” um yeah during those all too rare times he actually gets on base. Way game is played today in lieu of any analytic offensive value he brings neither power—3 HRs playing at warm weather band box Cincy—nor on base since his pct is usually at or below .300.
    Most often he’s just the sleekest guy jogging back to the dugout after he grounds out/pops out/strikes out.
    Looks good/can’t hit.

40. djloo27 said, on April 11, 2019 at 4:25 am

When you look like me you get pulled over for looking like me.
    Turn off the engine, put your hands on the wheel where the cops can see them.
    Yawn…

• djloo27 said, on April 11, 2019 at 4:32 am

“Facial” profiling?

• djloo27 said, on April 11, 2019 at 4:46 am

I know how to say “good morning, officer” in 5 languages…

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 11, 2019 at 7:46 am

Loo on fiyuh

41. djloo27 said, on April 11, 2019 at 4:29 am

The key to avoiding outstanding warrants is staying out of the state(s) that have them.
    I’m not allowed in Oregon…

42. djloo27 said, on April 11, 2019 at 4:44 am

If the Giants were the Corleone family, Panik would be Fredo…

43. Bozo said, on April 11, 2019 at 7:27 am

A team batting avg of .206 and an OPS of .585 ain’t going to do it, neither is our 8 HRs and 38 RBIs. The Dodgers as a team have a .281 BA .907 OPS with 26 HRs and 85 RBIs.
    We need to start kicking some ass, or our ass will be in the jackpot.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 11, 2019 at 7:45 am