Best Win of the Year

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 17, 2019

I’m not quite reeling from the win last night but it staggered me a bit. Come on, this had L painted all over it: An away game in DC, D-Rod didn’t have it, Strasburg was sailing along, I think he k’d 4 of the first 9 hitters he faced. And then, like a magical faucet turning on all by itself, the 1.0’s started flowing freely. Rodriguez righted himself enough to cobble together 5 complete (1.0). Longo, Belt and Dugg’s all get one since anyone who’s spent even a second pouring over the calculation formula for the Fwar would know that if you bang a bomb you get a 1.0. Melancon has now tied Buster with one (1.0) since he came in vs his former team and went more than an inning without falling apart–i believe those 2 are tied for last on the team with but a single Fwar point to their name. And of course my main man 1.0 himself, #1, Kevin Pillar gets one. Admittedly he was awarded the final 1.0 of the game, he probably shouldn’t have gotten one but I just love the lil’ dickens so much I had to acknowledge his 2 hits, walk, and a stolen base. Formula note: Fwar loves the stolen bag…..

1. willedav said, on April 17, 2019 at 7:31 am

whacking Stras around very cool. Also park factor…if you beatch about hitting at the Yard then when you get outta town things should change. Instead it seems last few seasons Giants don’t do near as well on the road and it’s the other team that whacks them.
    Longo and Duggar from what I read (didn’t see any of game) both hit opposite field bombs, rather unlikely at home especially at night. 4 bombs for Belt now who has dreaded stat up to .800 with .500 slugging. Good for him hope he can do more damage rest of road trip.

2. Flavor said, on April 17, 2019 at 7:57 am

Bochy on knbr this am talking about despite pillar’s numbers how important he’s been to the team. He could gave just cited his Fwar and been done with it but he yammered on with ll the superlatives.

3. willedav said, on April 17, 2019 at 8:25 am

Posey doesn’t get FWAR for gunning down 2 would be base stealers? At least his D hasn’t suffered which often happens to guys who aren’t hitting.
    Don’t look now but the evil M hasn’t allowed a run all year tho I was listening when he was in there 9th and Bochy took him out to bring in Smith to get final 2 outs.

Hopefully rest of bats start to come around on road trip like Panik Crawford and Posey. Was only 2 seasons ago Panik hit 10 bombs, all on road. Even last year he hit 2 in first weekend at LA.

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2019 at 10:35 am

He does not. He needs to start hitting the fucking baseball. If they want to take him out of the clean up spot I can ease up on him and start giving him 1.0’s for his catching skills

4. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2019 at 9:36 am

Yes, Willie, they were opposite field homers, but not by much. They were both pretty close to straightaway center. Both weren’t cheapies either. Belt’s was flat hammered.

Great win. Hey, hate to gain a little confidence here, but .500 is within reach. I didn’t think we’d sniff that after our awful start.

5. Flavor said, on April 17, 2019 at 10:09 am

this is the dumbest story I’ve seen in a while. I mean, who cares about this?

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2019 at 11:28 am

I predict D-Rod’s son will be the starting 3rd baseman in the 2044 All star game.

I wonder if the Flap will still be alive?

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 17, 2019 at 10:19 am

I don’t subscribe to the Atlantic. What was the jist of the move in the fences article? I’m assuming Zaidi had some sort of statement attributed to him. Are players anonymously for it or were they quoted by name?

7. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2019 at 11:26 am

Mainly the bullpens and triples alley. No players talked about it but Bochy and Farhan did.

Still tripping it has been open for 20 seasons

8. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2019 at 11:31 am

Good to see Garcia playing some 1st base in AAA.

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2019 at 12:01 pm

That’s very cool, Chuck; thanks! I wouldn’t mind seeing the Sac lineup posted on the Flap every day. Seriously. It’s cool to see what’s happening on the AAA team.

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Hopefully Yaz is giving his grandson some tips.

I’m thinking that if we ever make a trade with the Red Sox, Yaz Jr. Jr. has to be part of it.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2019 at 1:58 pm

I rooted hard for those ’67 Bosox.
        An all time great pennant race…

• Macdog said, on April 17, 2019 at 12:52 pm

And Mac at DH.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2019 at 3:58 pm

It’s amazing that the woman’s last name is Melott like Mel Ott…

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Very sharp, dude! It would have taken me about a million years to notice that.

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:03 pm

I didn’t even notice that. Great catch.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:10 pm

I wonder if she ever noticed it.
        I just googled her – I think she’s real…

9. sandog said, on April 17, 2019 at 2:10 pm

I hope Reed is getting some AB’s in SacTown as well.

Yes indeed, I love seeing the band-aid torn off and the team openly talking about fixing our ridiculous ballpark!
    Made my day. And they’re even talking about bullpens in right center!
    Make It So!

10. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2019 at 3:16 pm

This is some matrix shit . . .

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Chuck and Zumiee, off topic . . . What do you think of Pete Buttigieg? Personally, if he gains a little bit of momentum and it doesn’t seem like I am wasting my vote in the primaries, I will probably vote for him. He’s authentic and humble in my opinion, coupled with the fact, he rarely bad mouths anyone else. It’s also my understanding that a number of major Obama “bundlers” are going to back him with money and fund raisers,, including my favorite MLB liberal owner, Robert Pohlad of the Twins. If you get a chance, Google and watch his announcement speech that he gave in South Bend.

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2019 at 5:27 pm

I like him. Blade I’ve been out of pocket in Phoenix a few days, sorry I missed you…

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2019 at 6:16 pm

I haven’t followed the campaigns lately, so I have to admit I know very little about him. I’ll check him out.

11. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Bombardzija returns!

12. gianthead said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:28 pm

I finally sit down to watch a Giants game and Soto is up and Smardaramjam reprises his role as batting practice pitcher..

13. Macdog said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Samarjshitshow will not be getting any Fwars tonight.

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:52 pm

well, he can only get a max of 1 (1.0) on any given start. But your point is made.

14. xoot said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Poachers catch sharks, cut off their dorsal fins to sell as delicacies in the city, and release the beasts back into the sea to wander without control until they finally expire. SamaHRdzjia’s expiration date comes nigh.

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Twitter is the evidence for the decline of civilization. That and the election of Drumpf…

15. xoot said, on April 17, 2019 at 4:56 pm

Cool to see Bonds 500 replay, vs. the bums. I was in LA that day on business, tough but very good day, and I saw that on the tv news when I got back to the hotel room. The stations in LA had to show it.

16. Macdog said, on April 17, 2019 at 5:03 pm

Hellickson’s pitching to Posey like it’s 2012.

• xoot said, on April 17, 2019 at 5:28 pm

I went to a game in SF with a Reds fan last year and at one point I had to say, you still think of him as Posey circa 2012, don’t you?

17. xoot said, on April 17, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Have any of you bettors seen this current champion on Jeopardy? He’s introduced every night as a guy who supports himself gambling on sports. He’s won over 1/2 a million $$ on the show, so far.

• Macdog said, on April 17, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Yeah, he’s been taking that show to the cleaners.

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2019 at 6:10 pm

I only know the guy from Jeopardy and that dude is crazy good.

18. Macdog said, on April 17, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Dreadful Bergen.

• James said, on April 17, 2019 at 6:33 pm

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Great album.

• willedav said, on April 17, 2019 at 8:41 pm

and one of the greatest album covers of all time.

19. Bozo said, on April 17, 2019 at 6:59 pm

Giants showing some muscle in the 9th.

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2019 at 7:03 pm

Sure. If they can’t win why not pile up the 1.0’s?

• Bozo said, on April 17, 2019 at 7:16 pm

Yep, and make their Closer have to get some work in.

20. Flavor said, on April 17, 2019 at 7:05 pm

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2019 at 8:17 pm

April 19, 1971:
      Giants beat Cardinals at Candlestick upping their record to 12-2.
      Attendance: 3,630

21. Flavor said, on April 17, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Crawford and Longo: Weak and weaker.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Are you keeping a running FWAR tally?

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2019 at 8:22 pm

well I wasn’t going to but for it to be legitimized deep within the sabermetric community I probably should. Thanks. I’ll go back tomorrow and tally it up and then keep it updated going forward—something to keep me focused up through the Summer