Bombs Away!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 24, 2019

In a throwback game to our past, conjuring up hallowed names such as *Ramiro Pena*, the Giants went deep 4 times to win a game. It’s nice to see them join the party even if it’s just for one fleeting game.

Zaidi knows we need power to win in today’s game. I think we’ll see the fences come in at some point and some launch angle men added to the squad. Not this year but it’s coming. There is no sound reason to keep the fences 8 miles away…..

Until then we can dream of *Pena’s past* and what it was like to win with the long ball….

_____________

Love Damian Lillard, love that he knocked out fake-ass Russell Westbrook…..

1. willedav said, on April 24, 2019 at 7:31 am

yes nice comeback by Portland.
    I count 10 bombs on road trip in 7 games, half Giants total. Couple maidens broken by Sandoval and Panik and Posey had his in W vs. Pirates.

Sunday Chron used to put up BAs for each league, and I would add runs scored and rbis, minus HRs and divide that # by ABs. SI called that stat runs produced. No surprise Pillar leads team by far, over. 300 avg. Most everyone else except Sando under .200

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2019 at 7:35 am

that’s why people shouldn’t trip on BA or OPS. You need to look at what Pillar is doing with his at bats and that’s a great stat, nice find.

• James said, on April 24, 2019 at 8:53 am

I’m gone for a few days and the Pillar consternation is still going strong! For his career, Pillar’s “runs produced” is under 200, Belt’s is at 230, Posey’s at 250. These all track to their career OPSs. Unless KP really has an unusually good year, by the time he racks up his 600 PAs, he’ll again prove himself to be a below average major league “run producer,” which will be reflected in his OPS.

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2019 at 9:47 am

“for his career”— one of your fatal flaws in evaluating what a player is doing TODAY. Come on man, making decisions based off their career numbers is what dumbass Bochy does. Be better.

• gianthead said, on April 24, 2019 at 5:23 pm

Below average for Pillar for the year will make him the best Giant position player…

2. gianthead said, on April 24, 2019 at 7:52 am

Flav….you dont know what you are missing!!!

I landed at 11:30 pm Sharks down 2-0 and by the time I get home it is 3-0 with just 10 minutes left and the moment I turn on my TV Pavelski (he is a Sharks hockey player Flav!!) gets pulverized!! Knocked out cold. The next 10 minutes go down in the top 10 greatest moments in my Bay Area playoff history…right up there with the Dubs 8 seed beat down of the Mavs!!! That comeback and the game winner were unreal!!! I could not get to sleep till 5:30 am!!!

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2019 at 8:00 am

Pffftttt I heard the replay of the final goal on the radio. Sounds to me like Vegas got jobbed 🤣

• gianthead said, on April 24, 2019 at 5:25 pm

Fairly vicious hit but tjeae are the moments with a hot goalie can carry a team to the Stanley Cup…

3. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2019 at 9:03 am

Crazy game by Lillard last night. Just saw the highlights. What is insane, and it is Westbrick’s downfall, is volume shooting. He went 11-31. Westie runs and guns without running the clock down and he ignores George, who was having a great game. Up 8 with 3:50 left and they don’t milk the clock and and end up losing.

Lillard had 2 more shots than Westie but scored 21 more points.

Yeah, the call on Pavelski was pretty lame. There was no intent, and Pavelski simply got tangled up with the other guy and landed badly. Crazy shit though. I watched the OT and it was cool.

Sharkies will buckle anyway. Their goalie is way too inconsistent.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 24, 2019 at 10:59 am

Need some tip top fwar-ing from the bottom of the lineup for a break even roadie

RF S. Duggar L
    LF G. Parra L
    C Buster Posey R
    1B Brandon Belt L
    3B E. Longoria R
    DH P. Sandoval S
    SS B. Crawford L
    CF Kevin Pillar R
    2B Joe Panik L

5. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2019 at 12:15 pm

I’m mildly shocked we have the chance for a .500 road trip.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 24, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Some nice news on Ramos. I’m heading to see the SJ Giants on May 18th if anyone is interested – Campbell Little League night.

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2019 at 1:57 pm

that is nice news. I have not had high hopes for him, nice to see him stepping up.

7. Macdog said, on April 24, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Pablo bomb.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 24, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Pablo goes adios pelota!

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2019 at 2:16 pm

He’s just GOTTA play more.

• xoot said, on April 24, 2019 at 4:39 pm

both Baggs and Schulman predict he’ll be gone by the trade deadline–because he’s raking

9. Macdog said, on April 24, 2019 at 2:26 pm

What can’t Pillar do?

10. Macdog said, on April 24, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Buster RBI double off CF wall.

11. snarkk said, on April 24, 2019 at 2:55 pm

I said a week or more ago that I’d rather see Panda play more than Longo. I thought Panda was washed up, but he’s got some life left. Longo looks half dead out there when he’s playing…

• Macdog said, on April 24, 2019 at 2:57 pm

I’m not Longo’s biggest fan either, but he does have an RBI double today and hit a HR last night.

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2019 at 3:14 pm

he hit a monster homerun yesterday. But if the choice is 3rd or 1st I guess I’d choose 3rd. Until Panda cools off he has to play. Plus, it’s just kinda nice seeing him out there.

12. Macdog said, on April 24, 2019 at 3:51 pm

Mini sweep!

• zumiee said, on April 24, 2019 at 4:00 pm

13. zumiee said, on April 24, 2019 at 4:12 pm

The Giants missed the unveiling of Vlad, Jr. That will happen this weekend.

14. Flavor said, on April 24, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Solid win, this Gott guy has got some shit. Why doesn’t he pitch more?

• willedav said, on April 24, 2019 at 8:03 pm

might take Dyson spot if he has any more outings like yesterday. Gott hasn’t had much success at ML level iirc so maybe they just want to figure out what he can do. Agree though looks great so far. Curt Young might be big upgrade over Rags.

15. willedav said, on April 24, 2019 at 7:51 pm

Um, Pablo at 1.000 OPS is not sustainable. At best he is league average player and not better than when he left here. Bochy is using him just fine as is–more you play more he is gonna suck. Maybe Toronto can use him at deadline he seems to like hitting there.
    I still would have kept Hanson over Pablo regardless of who pays him.

• xoot said, on April 24, 2019 at 8:27 pm

1.000+ OPS obviously isn’t sustainable, but he’s way over .800 batting RH, too–for the first time in his career. Combine that SH (and, so far at least, PH) prowess with decent work at 3B and 1B, and you’ve got a helluva bench guy and/or DH for any team.

Hanson got DFA’d, but then in the sort of move Zaidi seems to be able to make with a click of the mouse but Evans never, ever, executed, he got traded, while he was still in limbo, I think, in the three-player package for Pillar. If they’d kept Hanson and cut Solarte, what would’ve happened? Was Derek Law the main component of that deal for Toronto?

I think Hanson should’ve made the 25, but I like Pillar.

16. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 24, 2019 at 8:17 pm

I would have kept Pablo AND Hanson. I guess Z didn’t see enough in Hanson, too bad. I said back in spring training I thought Pablo should start at 3rd and leave Longo to bench duties, until Pablo proved he didn’t belong in the starting lineup. I still want them to somehow dump Longo’s contract, and soon, maybe to an AL team that needs a DH. It’s a bad contract and he is in no way going to be a part of this team’s near-term future… Love seeing Pablo performing, up til now….

17. Macdog said, on April 24, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Hockey update: ‘Canes knock off defending champ Caps in 2nd OT of Game 7.

18. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Dubs playing lazy and slow but they come back only to have the refs slow their roll. They want a game 6.

19. mrsprtdude said, on April 24, 2019 at 10:31 pm

Refs suck, but we let Clips beat us up and down the court the whole game so you get what you get. My only beef was dumb warrior players not giving Curry the ball more down the stretch. back to back 3’s to go down 10 to down 4. Then next 2 trips klay shots 2 bricks. Grr

20. djloo27 said, on April 25, 2019 at 4:21 am

As a teammate of Jo Jo White once said:
    “He wants his 20; then he’ll look for you”