Tin Men in Blue

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 2, 2019

LA has no heart, man. There’s no other way to explain how we just took 2/3 from them. They have talent, they like to pile up the NL West crowns, but at the end of the day they just got no heart. And it’s one of my favorite things about them.

Lots of good signs last night. Bum was rock solid. Posey yanked a ball, albeit it not very far. Still, good enough for the game winner and another 1.0 in the bank.

This season is going to be all about the little things. I’ll take the wins when they come but the moments are even better. Last night had some great moments.

1. willedav said, on May 2, 2019 at 7:24 am

Important start for Beede Friday too. I think the LA way of managing SPs is gonna take hold here but you have to have enough decent ones to make it work.
    Good innings from Moronta Watson Smith to hold fort. What is it with kike Hernandez? He’s turned into the new Goldschmidt.
    Belt hit sac fly (that would have been 3 run bomb elsewhere) and then struck out 3 times. Maybe Kruk is right and Triples Alley is in some guys heads. Giants out bombed at home 17-8 by opposition.

2. blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:11 am

Last, but not least, he was up in the “snot rocket” volume too.

• djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:18 am

You may have just come up with the latest pitching analytic, Blade. (SRV)

3. djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:15 am

As someone once told me, Flavor: Don’t look for happiness; settle for happy moments.
    I think he worked for Hallmark.

RE: Xoot’s late post yesterday:

Has a ML ballpark ever changed its dimensions during the season?
    Is it allowed?

• alleykat69 said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:25 am

Bet Vic Wertz wished the dimensions were changed before the W/S game..

• blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:32 am

This shit works perfect. Not only is it in the Giants colors, but it keeps deer from eating your flowers and grass.

• djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:13 am

Who has flowers and grass?

• gianthead said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:26 am

• gianthead said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:27 am

With azaleas in bloom:) but no time to enjoy with this bullshit called work…

4. snarkk said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:23 am

Nice series win after a disastrous weekend.
    Interesting to see the talk of changing the dimensions of the park are starting in earnest when the team is looking awful for the 3rd year in a row. It’s a welcome distraction for the fans, which I’m sure was not lost on ownership in floating the now apparently serious trial balloons…

5. alleykat69 said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:31 am

They have to atleast start with the stupid bullpen mounds,Duggar was close to being Oaferized the other day, and thus would not of scored the winning run last night being on the DL and no other Giant would of scored due to lack of speed..

6. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:33 am

I guess I’ve come around. They can kill 2 birds with one st0ne by moving the bullpens off the field and building new walls. Shit, maybe we can get Trump to pay for it.

7. blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:42 am

Count me out. I forgot what the difference is on bombs for the Giants and the Dodgers at home or other teams and the Giants at home, but it is significant. Bringing in the fences will do little to change that fact. We have old, weak hitters. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t there other teams (the Cubs???) with the bullpens situated like the Giants? I am not aware of them complaining.

But whatever . . . To me it’s just a faux excuse for a bad hitting team.

• djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:12 am

We do have old weak hitters, but there’s still the thing about nobody (FAs) wanting to play there because of the dimensions…

• blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:40 am

2010 Aubrey Huff 26, Juan Uribe 24, Pat Burrel and Buster Posey 18 each,
        2011 Pablo Sandoval 23,
        2012 Buster Posey 24,
        2013 Hunter Pence 27,

You’re probably right Loo, but if we only had a “middle of the pack” minor league system, wouldn’t that alleviate the problem of free agents not wanting to come here? Also, I bet all of those former and existing Giants I have noted above would have bomb totals in the 30s, maybe the 40s, if they played with today’s rabbit ball and their ages were the same as noted when they hit the above totals. Hard to prove either way. I just know that the park is beautiful now and making it into a Cincinnati band box will make our pitching suffer and possibly ruin a great looking ball park. Dunno . . .

• gianthead said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:32 am

But I then argue that we can attract second tier pitchers and put all of efforts at drafting talent and pursuing intl players who can hit…

• djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:44 am

How about just doing SOMETHING?
        They are alienating old loyal fans like us and probably not making many new ones.
        The bandwagon jumpers of the 3 in 5 era are probably elsewhere by now…

8. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:29 am

Frankly I’m sick and tired of the bitching about the bullpen mounds. I think its cool that you can sit right there and talk, heckle, whatever to the opposing guys, or watch our guys warm up. But only our guys are getting hurt tripping over them. No one else seems to fall prey to them. And our opponents don’t have problems hitting bombs here either, but seeing Verdugo playing in the Bermuda triangle was pretty bizarre last night.

Hard to believe the architectural firm forgot about them in the design of the stadium. Didn’t anyone read the plans?

9. djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:39 am

A few years ago, those WWJD (What would Jesus do?) bracelets were pretty popular.
    I want to make a WWTS bracelet just for us guys here.
    Can you figure it out? It’s pretty easy…

• alleykat69 said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:51 am

What Would Twin Say?

• djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:21 am

You are super sharp lately, Kat!

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:41 am

Nice win last night. Posey’s quietly rounding into form/swinging it better.

Personally I like the field dimensions but shots like Belt’s last night should be a hr. The nostalgia angle is nice and all but I think its safe to say that a majority of SF fans aren’t pinning for the NY glory days. What’s strange to me about the whole change the configuration discussion is that you don’t even have to be that creative to make it cool. Close off triples alley and have the visitor BP on the stadium/field side with SF’s relievers warming up in the archways. People walking by outside will be able to see the action similar to the access allowed at the ground level in RF. It can’t be that hard to find the room to install a bar or concession stand for the folks milling around. Any lost seats in the bleachers are more than made up for by adding another row or two at the field level in the area of the existing BPs.

• djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:51 am

I don’t know why the NY days would mean shit to anyone including those who can even remember them.
      If you took a poll in Brooklyn today, I bet less than 1% of the current population would have any knowledge of the Brooklyn Dodgers or Ebbetts Field. And really, why should they?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:55 am

Yup, black and white video of Mays’ catch is nice for nostalgia and I’m not taking anything away from it or Mays as a player but nobody gives two shits about the NY days imo.

• alleykat69 said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:55 am

To me Loo, the only thing I remember much about NY was when they showed pictures of Mays playing stick ball with the local hoodlum kids on the streets..

• djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:31 am

I’m here. I hang around with people of all ages.
        No one gives a fuck about the Brooklyn Dodgers or NY (baseball) Giants…

11. willedav said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:02 am

6 strong from Bum 5 strong from Smrdz, that’s how Giants beat anybody including LA. Smdrz off to great start, ERA 2.50 WHIP at 1.06. Walks a little high but only 3 HRs given up, 2 in one start at Nats.

Didn’t see it but Austin got SF only XBH last night the double in first inning that moved Duggar to 3b. He’s hitting .290 now in small sample though the double was his first XBH in 30 some ABs. Also has 5 walks.

• gianthead said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:38 am

Hopefully an AL team or the Phillies are looking at Smardramjam…

12. djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:41 am

Smarj will still have about $25 million left on his deal at the TD.
    If he keeps it up would someone take it?
    Maybe if the Giants ate some?

• Flavor said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:49 am

I doubt Smarge is movable for anything decent. Unless someone wants to just take him and our payoff is no more salary.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 2, 2019 at 11:01 am

The BP arms clearly have value but how is that impacted by 3 batter rule being implemented next year? I guess it takes Watson and Dyson off the board. Other than the BP who would even have value for another team? Rodriguez, Belt and Bumgarner?

14. Macdog said, on May 2, 2019 at 11:06 am

Crawford now has more errors (3) than RBI (2).

15. Flavor said, on May 2, 2019 at 11:18 am

16. djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 11:20 am

I would love to see a “What Would Twin Say?” logo replace “The Masterpiece” up top.
    I think it should be the official blog motto and a fitting memorial, no matter what you thought of the man…

• Macdog said, on May 2, 2019 at 11:25 am

Mets-Reds just played a game that lasted slightly over 2 hours, the only run a Syndergaard bomb.

• sfsarge said, on May 2, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Did I miss something, did Twin move on?

• djloo27 said, on May 2, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Yes Sarge. IIRC, Twin passed away in December 2017.
        I think on New Year’s Eve…

• sfsarge said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Wow, i knew that . I had a brain fart I was thinking of stix.

17. zumiee said, on May 2, 2019 at 11:28 am

“Bum was Bum last night. I noticed it and was glad to see other sites noting the same as well. He hit 93 MPH multiple times . . . More important, he threw 67 fastballs out of his 114 pitches. I can’t even remember the last time he did that.”

Smolz, on the MLB Network in the beginning of the season, thought Bum would need a few weeks to build arm strength because he felt the injured shoulder needed a couple of years to fully heal. Interesting theory.
    In an ideal situation, Bum is building arm strength right now.

18. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2019 at 11:43 am

And DJ’s point is valid about attracting guys. Although you pay someone enough they will come. Speaking of Harper, he has like 38 Ks in 108 ABs and is hitting like .231. He’s getting booed mercilessly by the Phillie fans.

Of course his 6 hrs and 20 RBIs would lead the team, but at 5-18 for Pillar, he’s a much better value.

19. sandog said, on May 2, 2019 at 11:47 am

Obviously I’m super excited that changing the park seems to be gathering momentum.
    I can’t imagine changes are allowed in season, but I’m at the point where I will be disappointed big time if the bush league bullpens and ridiculous right field are still the same next year.
    I even think left field could use some adjusting as well.
    Get this done. I think the park is on the verge of becoming a national laughingstock with the 420 foot flyouts and bullpen wipeouts.

• xoot said, on May 2, 2019 at 2:12 pm

No way they change anything in the middle of the season — they’d miss out on the advance PR bonanza about the magnificent new design, the suspenseful hoopla leading up to the unveiling, etc. etc. Kruk was joking recklessly last night; Kuip, probably not. The fact that Kruk and Kuip are publicly harping on redesign shows that everything has changed. They never would’ve dared speak out so clearly if Baer was still in charge.

• blade3colorado said, on May 2, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Good points Xoot. Agree.

20. alleykat69 said, on May 2, 2019 at 12:03 pm

Sounds good Loo!
    A possible 2nd phrase maybe “Oracles Wisdom from Oracle” are not lol 😂

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 2, 2019 at 12:06 pm

To room B with both of you!

21. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Left field is fine. They can put the bullpens in the bermuda triangle and get rid of the fucking garden. I had a little diagram last year that I can’t find that showed perfectly how to make the necessary
    adjustments.

22. willedav said, on May 2, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Meanwhile here’s Z on why Mac is still stuck in Sac: “We have to make sure when we pull the trigger on that we have long enough period where we can take a look at him.” and, “we don’t want to expose him to waivers.”

Um, how long a look do you need at Parra to realize this is what you have, below average LH hitter with O pop?
    Giants obviously aren’t going to ever be in contention beyond 3rd place/.500 without more offense and more power than what parra brings.
    And even though he is out of options, if they just let him play and he flopped, then why would it matter if had to be waived?
    Z also said they are also looking at couple other Sac guys, but even if one of them is Slater he’s not a power guy.

23. willedav said, on May 2, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Road trip to Cincy for 4 and then 3 at Coors Canaveral sounds like perfect time to get Mac back into LU. He’s healthy and probably feeling lot better about himself now that he’s doing better at plate. He can play LF or RF and add RH bat to the OF in place of Parra or Duggar when he needs a day off. Duggar can fill in CF when Pillar needs a rest.
    Giants have all season to “take a look” at him.

24. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2019 at 12:23 pm

He already cleared waivers early this year. Not like there’s a big demand for oafs in the outfield.

25. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2019 at 12:26 pm

How about Abiatal Avelino? SS is doing some shit. 2 HRs in 21 games. .221 and an astounding .369 slugging %age. Compare that to Crawfish though and he’s ickey Mantle.

26. willedav said, on May 2, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Listening to Flems the other night, he said Bochy is looking to get Solarte more ABs left handed because he’s been a better hitter that way than RH. Huh? If that’s the case why is he the only middle IF back up, to the other 2 LH Craw and Panik. giants have to find decent backups that can hit LHP and maybe take over a spot during a series where that’s all they see. And last year as soon as SP was replaced that’s all they saw from opposing pens, another LHP.

27. sandog said, on May 2, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Baggs didn’t explain why, but he seems to think we aren’t gonna see Mac anytime soon, and that Shaw will get a shot with the big team first.
    As for me, I’m down with swapping out Parra for Mac right now–as someone mentined earlier.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 2, 2019 at 3:04 pm

The club seems to think Mac won’t clear waivers now that he’s hitting. Shaw, who’s not exactly lighting it up has power too and options remaining.

28. alleykat69 said, on May 2, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Well that would be a 1st if another club wants one of are scrubs.They usually all clear waivers and unfortunately still stay with us..

29. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2019 at 7:33 pm

Blade, the Cubbies moved their bullpens under the bleachers a few years back.

30. zumiee said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Bryan Reynolds is off to a good start with the Pirates, which may or may not mean anything. Bowker had a great first two weeks, and then teams put together a book on him and he was done.
    The Giants traded Reynolds for McCutcheon. That could end up being a horrific trade or not; we’ll see how it plays out.

31. zumiee said, on May 2, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Exciting finish in Sox vs. Sox. Chicago walk-off HR.

32. sandog said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Would we have to send Mac through waivers before calling him up? I wouldn’t think would.

Agree Zum, if Reynolds turns out to be even a decent Dan Gladden/Mike Kingery type, that is going to hurt.

Finally, the Arby’s sandwich guy doesn’t do it for me. Is he a celebrity chef or something? Weird voice, weird manner. Maybe that’s the point, I guess.
    Never been an Arby’s fan at all. Don’t like roast beef—even if it comes from a top shelf deli.

Also, caught the end of a new Toomgis ad the other day featuring another possible Toomgis love interest. Made my day.

• zumiee said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Arby’s guy is the voice of the main character in two cartoon shows: Archer, and Bob’s Burgers.
      Both are well done and funny half hour cartoon shows.

33. unca_chuck said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Archer is pretty funny. I thought the Arby’s guy was James Earl Jones

34. zumiee said, on May 2, 2019 at 9:59 pm

Speaking of cartoons, a surprising cartoon worth noting is “Mike Tyson Mysteries.” Funny cartoon, which darkly parodies ‘70s shows like Scooby Doo. Who thought of this cartoon?
    Tyson voices himself, and Norm MacDonald voices a nihilistic pigeon. Yes, a pigeon.
    2 episodes fit in a half hour, in the Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim late night programming.

• zumiee said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:01 pm

• zumiee said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:06 pm

• xoot said, on May 2, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Tyson’s one-man Broadway show (directed iirc by Spike Lee) was surprisingly good. Video of it was on HBO for a while and I’m sure it’s on youtube now. I took a look at it because I was curious and ended up watching it all, amazed by the complexity of the guy’s character.

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2019 at 4:09 am

Tyson was known to have a thing for pigeons.
      I had a minor altercation with one of Tyson’s “bodyguards” about 30 years ago.
      Luckily for him people intervened…