A Good Night for EVERYONE

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 8, 2019

What an improbable comeback story this is. Mac The Oaf was nearly literally left for dead on the waiver wire two months ago. Nobody wanted him. Not ever for free. In a game that has evolved into how many power hitters you can squeeze into your line up, it was fairly astounding that the one thing he did, blast bombs, wasn’t wanted by a single team in baseball.

So there truly isn’t enough credit that I can shuttle this guy’s way. Maybe he kept playing because he’s a baseball player and it’s all he knows how to do. Maybe he’s just resilient as hell. Either way, last night was awesome.

I don’t usually get into fantasy stuff here at the blog but some of you might get a kick out of this after all the shit I’ve flung Hunter Pence’s way. Last night one of my team’s finished 3rd in the $4 (50K) Four Seamer (3rd out of 14,863 teams, you’ll also notice I had a completely separate team finish 10th, that is very hard to do). Thank you, among others, Hunter Pence! lol

Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 5.25.46 AM

Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 5.26.25 AM

So two flaps up for MTO for the long road he has traveled and what the hell, Hunter Pence, too…..

1. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 6:56 am

Thinking of taking a a Mobile Bay Bears AA game tomorrow night. Could be a rainout though.Jake Peavy is an alum, as is Goldie.

They are sadly (?) moving to Madison Al, and becoming the Rocket City Trash Pandas. (wtf?)

2. wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2019 at 7:11 am

Damn Flav what did fourth place pay? About $1500 or so? That’s a nice score.

3. wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2019 at 7:12 am

Excuse me, third place, even better.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2019 at 7:19 am

$1500 for 3rd, $400 for 10th

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2019 at 7:20 am

And thanks I know you know how difficult this game can be

4. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 7:59 am

Vey big game tonight for the Warriors. Losing game 5 at home could be a killer.

Steph and Klay were all over the place these last couple games. Houston is tough though.

Losing Cousins is very apparent on the boards. Houston had a ton of 2nd chance points.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2019 at 8:17 am

I know this is just nitpicking and the stars have to make their shots, but I am tired of Livingston. He’s completely done. Give Cook his minutes

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:22 am

Cook plays no defense. Livingston gets in the way sometimes. But yeah, his offense is gone. Our bench may be our undoing. Cousins was supposed to be the cure-all but he done.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:27 am

Cook can get help then. We need someone knocking down more 3s, dudes on our bench can’t hit shots.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:33 am

This is true. I don’t think they start Iggy tonight for that reason.

5. willedav said, on May 8, 2019 at 8:23 am

Rebounding is timing and positioning sure, but more about effort and to me Houston has had lot more of it at home. what I notice is how hard Houston is defending perimeter and getting up in face on GS shooters. The counter to this is backdoor cut to the basket and bringing a passer to the middle of floor to facilitate it (this is old Wooden trick). This type of face guarding D also leaves you open to back screen to free up shooters like Thompson and Curry. Takes ball and player movement and GS has been more about iso lately.

One other thing too–if you can’t get free for a 3, then drive the ball to basket. Klay is good midrange shooter and can pull up over most guards and Curry is pretty creative around the hoop. Plus if you can get to FT line, shooting a couple usually helps bring back your touch. Last game Splash boys shot almost 0 FTs. As well as they shoot them, missing out by bombing away all the time.

Watch the role players tonite. Rockets guys like Shumpert and Rivers were great at home, Tucker (cool player) too. See how well that travels and if GS can get more out of Iguodala Looneyand other lesser scorers.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:26 am

Our bench is awful.I’d think they may put Iggy back to the bench tonight to get a little more O out of it.

6. gianthead said, on May 8, 2019 at 8:26 am

That is what I dont get in daily fantasy. There would be no fucking way I would have taken 2 seconds to consider starting Hunter Pence.. Mike Pence maybe but hell no on Hunter.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2019 at 8:52 am

it’s the second time I’ve played him all year. He was in a good L/R match up and I knew he’d be low owned. Didn’t think he’d pop for 32 but that was nice. I only had him on one team (15 total teams)

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:06 am

My biggest fantasy these days is stealing my doctor’s prescription pad…

7. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:27 am

Doctor doctor please . . .

8. zumiee said, on May 8, 2019 at 11:57 am

Shumpert is an effective role-player for Houston, but he wasn’t a good fit in Sacramento this season. For some reason he felt he needed to be a big scorer in Sac, and he was hoisting lots of bricks. He was taking shots away from Heild, Fox, and Bagley, who are the real future of the team, and needed to keep developing their abilities.

9. Flavor said, on May 8, 2019 at 1:37 pm

10. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2019 at 2:59 pm

1. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    2. Steven Duggar (L) RF
    3. Stephen Vogt (L) C
    4. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    5. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    6. Mac Williamson (R) LF
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
    9. Derek Holland (S) P

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Stephen Vogt batting 3rd??

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2019 at 4:19 pm

I remember Mike Fontenot batting 3rd when the Giants came to NY a few years ago…

11. Flavor said, on May 8, 2019 at 4:59 pm

12. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2019 at 5:35 pm

I get irritated during a rain delay, but then I realize it’s gives me more time to get my SKINK ON!!!

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2019 at 5:39 pm

lol, can’t you get your skink on while you’re watching the game, too?

13. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Now that’s it’s cancelled I can do double shots with the Dubs&Sharks instead🥃🥃

14. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2019 at 6:24 pm

How about that Joe Palveski just scored a goal after missing the 1st 6 games due to a head injury!🦈

15. Macdog said, on May 8, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Bye bye Celtics.

16. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Willedav: if you get a chance, what was your opinion of Len Bias as far as the kind of NBA career he would have had? Who would you compare him to? Of course anyone can chime in but WD is the BB King here…

17. gianthead said, on May 8, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Well that finish was nerve-wracking for the Sharks…

18. willedav said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Wow Loo that’s hard to say what he might have done but he was more athletic and a better shooter coming in than Karl Malone. Being around smart player like Bird and the Celts of those days he would have been dynamic presence. Given the desire and peer pressure from teammates many college guys are able to increase their shooting range at next level and he was already money from 15 in. He had more game than most power forwards coming in, more than just a banger inside. Maybe stronger version of Dominique or Bernard King?
    Very sad tale.
    Like to hear your thoughts too on a potential comp player.

• djloo27 said, on May 9, 2019 at 4:31 am

Great point about being around Bird and crew. I thought he might’ve developed into a top ten all-time player.
      A better all around version of any of ’em. I was in the Milwaukee airport when I heard he died which is why I was thinking about him. It’s still almost incomprehensible…

19. willedav said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:16 pm

Hey if you are watching the Warrior game, the Asian guy in glasses and purple shirt behind bench is someone I use to play ball with 20-25 yrs ago. Great guy, and deadeye long range shooter too. He’s had seasons for ages. Can’t see if another buddy of his who used to play too is there with him.
    Old guys (40 plus) used to rent small middle school gym and play couple hours once a week, pick up games to 13 (3s counted) for fun.

20. willedav said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Remember this too–Rockets will have to win a road game to get past Warriors. Same time, GS does not want to go back to Houston down one.

21. willedav said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:32 pm

Ha Barnett warriors radio guy was calling for Jerebko, for rebounding and not being afraid to shoot 3. McKinnie struggling with his shooting at this level of play.

22. gianthead said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:41 pm

Pray that the initial injury report about KD and a strained calf is accurate and not an Achilles…if he misses the remaining games I dont think we beat Houston and without KD we dont beat the Nuggets or Blazers IMO…

23. willedav said, on May 8, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Kevon Looney strikes again.

24. willedav said, on May 8, 2019 at 10:10 pm

And again.

25. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Wow GS holds on! Looney comes up huge!

26. zumiee said, on May 8, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Man, what a great win for the Warriors.

27. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 10:19 pm

Damn. Just watched the last 6 mins of the Warrior game. Looney was a stud. Don’t even know if he started.

Been shooting pool and drinking beer in Mobile. Funky-ass town that’s for sure. The people sure are nice. Don;t know why their politics are so fucked up.

KD’s injury looks bad from what I saw of the replay. Any kind of non-contact deal like that usually ends up bad. We can beat Houston, all we need is one more at home, and if we do, I don’t think the rest of the teams in the playoffs are are as tough as them. Still and all, gonnas be a tough row to hoe without him.

• djloo27 said, on May 9, 2019 at 4:03 am

Did you and your kinfolk rustle up some grub?

28. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 10:32 pm

Too funny. Kerr just dropped to f-bombs on the post-game show. KD is done I fear.

• djloo27 said, on May 9, 2019 at 4:09 am

Willis Reed went down in Game 5 of the finals and the Knicks won the game at home. He sat out Game 6 on the road where they got blown out as Wilt had his way. Then came the heroic Game 7 limp-a-thon…

29. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2019 at 10:36 pm

Tell ya one thing, this is gonna be a crazy offseason with the KD, Klay, Kyrie skipping Boston, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler even, all possibly moving.