Action Night!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 14, 2019

I’m gonna be shocked if Portland makes a series of this. Their strength are their guards who are not as good as our guards. Kanter has some offense but he’s so bad defensively, how can you even have him out there? I love Lillard. Should be a fun wipeout to watch though.

Giants going with the opener in Vincent and then Beede, whatever you want to call him–This is a decent spot to evaluate Beede, even in this sheltered role. Toronto still can’t hit much and they’ll probably be even worse on the road in an NL pitcher friendly park. If Young Beedah can’t do it in this spot the time for chances are over.

1. gianthead said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:44 am

Kanter is in there solely because of Nurkic’ injury…but think we will see of their bench. Didnt Meyers Leonard have a real nice game against us??? Collins is a hustler as well. But we should be able to go up 2-0 at home quite easily without KD…Sharks pulled off another playoff letdown after tying it up with Logan Couture’s amazing single-handed effort to score two goals to tie it up…he is our Ovechkin!!!

2. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:10 am

Like Snarkk said, having Bochy open the door for the Sharks was the kiss of death. Steve Kerr? Sure. Bochy? Is this yet another piece of the Bochy retirement tour bs?

The best retirement thing I ever saw was when the Giants spontaneously applauded Bobby Cox after the Giants beat the Bravos in 2010.

That was simple, unplanned, classy, and heartfelt. None of this uncomfortable standing around while they ply you with platitudes and hand you shit.

It’s all Kobe’s fault.

3. zumiee said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:24 am

With no Giants game last night, I watched the second half of the A’s/Mariners game. Very entertaining game. The A’s bullpen gave it up twice. The other K and Fosse lamented that the A’s bullpen isn’t as good this season so far. The A’s are not having a magical season like last year so far.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:59 am

Pablo pitching, ambidextrous bullpen arms, openers..the Zaidi era is starting out as a gimmick/novelty show.

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2019 at 9:13 am

i really don’t have a problem with it. He wouldn’t use an opener if he had pitchers that were out there dealin’. Pablo doesn’t pitch if the team isn’t getting blown out. etc.

5. Macdog said, on May 14, 2019 at 11:08 am

6. Stan Shell said, on May 14, 2019 at 11:11 am

I think you guys might be overlooking the Blazers in this series. I think the Warriors win the series but will split these first two. Lillard is a real force.
    It’s about time the Giants experiment with the opener concept. The bullpen seems relatively stable while the “Starters” are ML one start then AA level the next. Only worry is it erodes the bullpen and the whole things go South. Even more South than it already has (Miami, KC as bunkmates). Sigh.

OSF

7. Bozo said, on May 14, 2019 at 11:17 am

I got yer opener right here.

I don’t mind trying this out but if Beede is getting the bulk of the innings why not open with a lefty? You know, start with a lefty for a few and then go to your right hander.

• Bozo said, on May 14, 2019 at 11:52 am

I would think a good knuckleballer would be a great opener. Not only would it fuck up the hitters timing on the other team for the starter/bulk inning guy, but you could probably open with the knuckleball pitcher almost every day.

• unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 12:39 pm

ARE there any good knuckleballers out there?

• Bozo said, on May 14, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Good question, I haven’t seen one in awhile but they sure used to mess with the hitters timing for a game or so.

8. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 11:35 am

This season is open audition time. There will be non-stop call-ups and releases. This is the only way to determine the good from the bad.

9. xoot said, on May 14, 2019 at 12:24 pm

That’s a great idea, Bozo.

• xoot said, on May 14, 2019 at 12:26 pm

the knuckler, I mean.

10. snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Dubs 4-2 in the series. Blazers always play Dubs pretty tough. What’s the over under on Giants moves on the 15 this year? I mean non-injury moves. 30? Will there be 30 new guys in all that show up at some point on the 25? I don’t know how many so far…

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 1:02 pm

On the 25, I mean

11. snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Tim Conway, dead at 85. Guy was hella funny on the old Carol Burnett show when I was a kid. All I remember of one skit is somehow he ended up sitting and straddling a giant door knob on a giant door. Harvey Korman ended up trying to open the door using the doorknob. Mayhem followed. RIP to a funny dude…

12. zumiee said, on May 14, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Dodgers’ Urias was arrested on a domestic abuse charge.

13. djloo27 said, on May 14, 2019 at 3:06 pm

This guy was my favorite knuckleballer. I have no idea why…

14. alleykat69 said, on May 14, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Gotta go with Hoyt Willhem as the knuckleball guru.His catchers didn’t even know where the ball was going..
    Hey Giants must of been listening to my demands( lol) to bring up Shaun Anderson to pitch!
    I’m pumped up for his start, change is good with this team..

15. willedav said, on May 14, 2019 at 4:18 pm

” I got yer opener right here” seriously made me LOL. that was great
    Didn’t Romo do this last year for Rays? Where is he, Marlins? Couldn’t be worse than lot of guys Z’s brought in.
    So the idea is a guy like Gott goes first inning, maybe 2 as opposed to 5th/6th to replace the SP who now isn’t in line to face top LU third time around, correct?
    Wonder what overall record is for teams that do this. I do know that A’s, who won 97 games last year, were 4-5 when they did in reg season and then tried in playoffs and Yanks whacked them right out the box, and playoffs.

16. alleykat69 said, on May 14, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Kinda wish Zman secretly tells Bochy to start Holland, and then pull his ass after 1 pitch..

17. Macdog said, on May 14, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Is there any way the Giants can do an opener for the hitting part of the first inning too?

18. Stan Shell said, on May 14, 2019 at 5:57 pm

The Devil Rays used the opener and was happy with results. I think a knuckleball starter would be a hoot. Might be tough in the pitcher’s room if opener gives up 3 in two innings and then the “starter” shuts them out.

OSF

19. willedav said, on May 14, 2019 at 6:43 pm

Jackson is right. Thompson is in there with Livingston Bell Jerebko and Cook. I’m triple teaming him. There’s just no way you let him get off shots and beat you instead of the garbage time guys. If Blazers fall behind vs. this LU, it’s the same stuff that messed up Rockets Game 6.

20. Macdog said, on May 14, 2019 at 6:50 pm

So much for the opener.

• alleykat69 said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Yup.. Geez 3-0 and Mr Opener at 27 pitches with more shit still to throw..

21. snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 6:59 pm

Pablo Cruise used to be a decent Opener…

• alleykat69 said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Pablo Cruise opened and closed at my high school (San Carlos High) in 73! They were 💯 awesome.Ocean Breeze,A place in the Sun couple of their big hits.

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Friggin Dubs should be ahead by 18…

22. Macdog said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm

This was a fucking great idea.

23. snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:17 pm

The Giants consistently bad starts over 6 weeks+ I will put partially on the coaches and Bochy. They don’t have these dudes ready to play, in a mindset ready to do some damage from the get go. The futility in starting games for this long into a season is pathetic…

• unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:19 pm

Really? A starter KNOWS when he’s starting. What is Bochy supposed to do about that? It’s not like these starts sneak up on them.

I mean, their first month was fairly successful collectively. Now he’s unravelling them somehow?

• willedav said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Fair enough. so how do you account for the fact that as of a week ago after the first inning Giants had outscored the opposition?

24. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:17 pm

Sooooo, Vincent Black Shadow laid a turd? Maybe we start with Will Smith.

Closer as opener. . .

25. willedav said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Beede in there…gotta be able to lower the ERA some now that it’s 18.
    #38…wasn’t that Moon boy’s number?

26. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:21 pm

2 quick outs, and . . . . . .

27. Flavor said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Beede is so fucking awful.

28. willedav said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Giants before tonite were minus 36 run differential. First inning is worse than that, right? so once they get out of the first inning, they are outscoring opposition rest of the game.

29. Macdog said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:30 pm

So Beede ends up facing the top of the order in his first inning anyway.

30. snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:33 pm

So, is this Opener bulllcrap the NL attempt at using a De facto DH?…

31. snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Blazers are atrocious , but Dubs letting them hang around…

32. alleykat69 said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:39 pm

For the next opener they should start the game with all pitchers playing the field! It would raise my interest more..

33. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Warriors getting sloppy and letting Portland hang around.

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:10 pm

I love Steph’s game, but. He does the occasional stupid shit like behind the back passes out of bounds, or dribbling through 3 guys for a turnover, that just makes you think “WTF”? At this far into his career, you’d think he just would not do that stuff, particularly when the team is up by just 10 or less. I guess you just have to accept that as part of the deal…

34. djloo27 said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Christ, he’s the whole team…

35. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Kerr gets that this bench needs to do something and is letting them play a little.

36. djloo27 said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:06 pm

24 Rockies strike out in 11 inning win.
    Baseball 2019…

37. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:16 pm

27-12 in free throws. That’s what is keeping Portland in the game. 26 points for the bench is decent. And desperately needed.

38. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:19 pm

Anyone read the MLB article about MadBum’s no trade list? I’m not sure I’m really getting his strategy. Seems like most on the list are would-be contenders… which you would think he’d want, and which would most want Bum. Article seems to be implying that by creating that list, Bum is saying Giants can trade him to those teams if they give him a nice payout first. Hmmm…

• unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Or he wants to be more than just a rental is what I’m thinking.

• willedav said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm

Paul what I read was that it wasn’t written in stone he would refuse a trade to one of these teams. He’d just demand some kind of compensation for waiving it.

39. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Snarkk, Steph has 1 turnover and 7 assists, so that is fine. He does get sloppy but he’s been solid in the playoffs.

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:42 pm

He’s so good most of the time, I just get exasperated and perplexed when he does stoopid, totally unnecessary stuff just throwing away the possession…

40. alleykat69 said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Portland sucks..

41. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:29 pm

36 off the bench for the Warriors. Portland shot 36%. They should play better next game, but it won’t matter.

42. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:32 pm

What is aggravating is the hitting is actually coming around, and the pitching looks awful. Moronta gives up a 3 run bomb after giving up a knock to the pitcher, and hits a guy 0-2.

43. djloo27 said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm

Fuck him and his monster HRS.
    He’ll never avenge his dad’s outfield humiliation in the 2010 WS.
    Not in my lifetime, anyway…

44. snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Both Dubs and Blazers sleepwalked through this one. Though good D by Dubs, particularly Drey. Maybe a downer first game after two tough series ended for both. The next games have to be better. But, now looks like maybe Blazers can take just one, not two like I thought before. Rockets way better…

• frontrunnerfred said, on May 14, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Draymond needs to kick a Trailblazer in the balls or this one might go to six

45. alleykat69 said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Only
    Pussies
    Ever
    Need
    Excutives
    Recycling
    Shit

• djloo27 said, on May 14, 2019 at 9:25 pm

A Kat-a-gram?

46. sandog said, on May 14, 2019 at 8:58 pm

Opener blows up in the Giants face like a cherry bomb. I almost have to laugh, but I’m down with continuing to give it a shot here and there. Let’s pull out all the stops.

Kuip doesn’t even know how to pronounce Grichuk’s name. I’m really surprised I’m the only one around here who thinks he is a lousy announcer.

Glad we got Pillar—he was an upgrade for sure for us. But you don’t have to be Theo Freaking Epstein to see why the Blue Jays were ready to move on from him.

47. djloo27 said, on May 14, 2019 at 9:27 pm

Few things in life are more exciting than lighting a cherry bomb and heaving it when it starts to sizzle.
    Being a “grown-up” sucks…

• sandog said, on May 14, 2019 at 9:33 pm

I actually did that very thing while camping in Mexico a few years ago.
      These things were basically like racquetballs filled with gun powder.
      Really, really stupid—I know.
      But thrilling as all hell…..

48. snarkk said, on May 14, 2019 at 9:51 pm

While the Dubs are in the post season, I think I’ll go light on paying attention to the Gyros…

• frontrunnerfred said, on May 14, 2019 at 10:33 pm

Good for you! We all appreciate a fan who isn’t a front runner. Well done!

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2019 at 12:28 am

Hey fred. Thanks for the shout out. I’ve been a Giants fan since about 1967. You? I can safely say the vast majority of that time the Giants weren’t in front much. But, I hung in there with ’em. So, I’m really glad you, whoever you are, can appreciate me taking a week or so off from hanging on every pitch in a bad penny year…

49. frontrunnerfred said, on May 14, 2019 at 10:38 pm

I love the fact that true San Franciscans from Ohio can so easily shed their Giants gear in 2014 and put on Warriors gear in 2015. That’s the sign of a loyal fan base that grew up as Cincinnati Reds fans. Keep staying die hard, guys!

• snarkk said, on May 15, 2019 at 12:16 am

I’ve been following the Dubs since 1972…

• unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2019 at 7:29 am

I love the fact that you waste time to troll sports blogs. To what end? Prove your stupidity?

Mission accomplished.

50. Stan Shell said, on May 15, 2019 at 8:06 am

Fred, there are some serious Giants fans on this site. Me, since they came to SF. And, the Giants suck this year! The fact that we rag on shitty play proves that we aren’t “homers” who believe all the BS that all teams put out. Snarkk made a perfectly logical comment on shifting attention to the Bskbl Playoffs. Why not try contributing cogent comments before trotting out a troll attitude out the gate. In other words, STFU.