Nothing But Cock

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 27, 2019

I suppose a cock-eyed optimist would notice that the Giants whittled down their run differential in the Arizona series from 16 to 6 to 4. Of course, my mammy didn’t raise no cock-eyed optimist. The bottom line is that it’s poppycock to be optimistic about anything having to do with this last place (guaranteed in February) team. As the immortal Jack Black once said: this team plays like cock-ass. They should change their mascot to a cocker spanial. Or maybe just a guy dressed in a limp cock mascot costume. That would be hysterical, that actually might get me out to a game this year.

1. willedav said, on May 27, 2019 at 7:26 am

Dal Maxvill glove and card, very nice. in those days it didn’t matter what a SS hit. I think after Cards won it entire IF including Maxvill who never hit much, made AS game.
    Baggs was fired up about Coonrod throwing 98 and having clean inning. Maybe there’s your opener.
    After the way week ended, probably a good time to get out of town as far away as possible.

2. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 7:54 am

It’s another season for the Dodgers to be the cock of the walk in the division, regarding winning the division. We’re left rooting against them in the playoffs again. Something to root for. Maybe the Brewers, Cards, Cubs, Red Sox, or Astros will take them down.

3. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:00 am

Lousy weekend for the Giants, but I thought the broadcasters did well in spite of it. They showed honesty and didn’t sugarcoat it too much. They told good stories to pass the time. We learned that Jon Miller, as a kid in Hayward on Halloween night, rang a doorbell and was surprised to see professional wrestler Ray Stevens answer the door.

4. Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:04 am

there was a funny ad being run before the season started and a few games into it. It’s Bochy saying, essentially, “Hey I’m all in, I told the guys, I want one more run at this” and it was absurd then and even more ridiculous now. Did he mean all of that? Or was he just doing it for the marketing department?

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:09 am

He may have been trying to believe it at the time, but that dream has been crushed. Now, for him, it’s about clenching his jaw, soldiering through, and collecting all of the $6 million.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:44 am

Shit he can have the 6 mil and a bonus for time served. Giants ain’t taking $$$ from this guy, just bounce you to “special assistant” and everyone is happy (including the auditioning bambam

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:51 am

I still hear it on the radio…

5. willedav said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:07 am

Pavs ran story on nbcsports site talking about what snarkk mentioned, that Coast League is using ML baseballs and how offense has gone off the charts. Teams average 5.5 runs a game and have OPS over .800. so everyone’s numbers look tremendous, like Mac Gerber and slater too. Makes it harder to evaluate whether a guy can hit ML pitching, or as Mac showed, not.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:09 am

it’s funny though how all these juiced balls in mlb are effective for everyone except the Giants who seem to be immune to them. I think it just shows how far away we are talent-wise and approach-wise to competing in today’s new game.

6. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:16 am

One of the most bummer visuals of the Giants’ weekend was a camera shot of an extreme right-side shift vs. Joe Panik. The Joe Paniks of the world need to be using the whole field. He should tear up a shift; but he doesn’t, or he can’t. His batting approach is completely off the rails. He doesn’t even know what he is anymore. I could swear he used more of the whole field early in his career.

• willedav said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:48 am

He did hit one off top of the wall yesterday but like Flav said Giants aren’t a team that whacks enough bombs in today’s game. Instead they hit doubles; Panik’s was his 10th and posey now has 13. That’s one of few categories their offense is among league leaders iirc. road trip usually is different, so we’ll see.

7. willedav said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:18 am

Ah, I’d leave bochy alone. He’s doing what he wants to do, shuffling deck chairs around and mixing up his LU, accommodating GM using new guys in the OF and rotation, looking at lot of younger players. Why embarrass him any further by letting him go now? Let him ride off into sunset on his own terms and let new mgr get fresh start with different group next season.
    It’s not like firing Bochy will suddenly make them more interesting.

8. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:23 am

The Giants’ ballpark has finally crushed the spirit of the Giants hitters, especially the aging declining core. Some of them must be secretly hoping they get traded. And they should be traded. They desperately need new scenery. And the Giants need to go all in on the tear-down rebuild.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:46 am

Secretly? Shit they all hate Z I’m sure they’d be ecstatic to get off this sunken ship

9. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:25 am

During the ESPN Sunday night game they did a thing on the “baby Braves,” all the young exciting talent the Braves have.
    Man. I could only watch in wonder.

10. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:30 am

And the kicker is the Giants don’t even have a game today. That’s insult added to injury. How do you not have a game on Memorial Day?

• Macdog said, on May 27, 2019 at 9:14 am

I’m not sure why this is an insult, should be more like a reprieve given how they just embarrassed themselves over the weekend. Phils also are off today, and that’s a first-place team.

11. willedav said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:53 am

According to B/R Giants are 4th NL in doubles. Other hitting stats? 14th for runs HRs slugging OPS, dead last 15th in BA (.225 ouch) and OB. No surprises there. Not sure how much you can blame on coaching staff or guys with bats in their hands.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 9:02 am

i’m not blaming anything on the coaching staff. But it would be interesting to see if there would be any change at all, motivationally or otherwise, with some new blood running the ship. At this point why not? Do you think Bochy is enjoying getting destroyed like this? It would be far more respectful to him to bump him upstairs, continuing paying him his dough, and not put him through this bullshit anymore.

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2019 at 9:27 am

The manager and staff *do* deserve blame when a team is clearly not coming prepared to play. In baseball, it’s easy to just put it all on the SP for constantly falling behind early. If that’s the case, then the SPs are not properly prepared either. Any POS in the ML oughtta be able to make it through a goddamm inning unscathed. And lately, the whole team looks like their minds are anywhere but in the game. They need something to get their attention. Heads have to roll now- no matter how big.
        It’s long overdue…

• snarkk said, on May 27, 2019 at 10:11 am

I’m totally in on this view.
        Yeah, this team sucks in talent overall. But, they aren’t the ’62 Mets level of talent.
        I think the vets have packed it in already, they don’t like the ZMan deck chair moves, which is what he was signed up to do. He’s going to do the offseason housecleaning, he could start some now.
        If this embarrassment continues, Bochy should just declare victory and move upstairs and then onto home in SanDiego. I won’t be shocked if he’s the Padres manager next season…

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2019 at 11:36 am

I like when Snarkk has my back…

12. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:59 am

Coonrod!! Love that name!
    He should wear a coonskin hat like Daniel Boone in the clubhouse and hangout with Bum as well..

13. unca_chuck said, on May 27, 2019 at 9:37 am

You guys seriously think Bochy takes a front office job? Calling a big ‘no’ on that. Whether he quits ‘for the team’ or due to exhaustion or frustration, or even rides the pony into the dirt, he’s all out.

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2019 at 9:42 am

He could be one of those “special assistants” that are never around…

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 10:37 am

No you just call it that. He gets to stay paid and go fish. I don’t expect him to actually go to the front office lol

14. Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 10:56 am

Bill Buckner died

15. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2019 at 11:10 am

Class act guy was Bill Buckner even if is gaffe on Mookie Wilson’s groundball cost them the series..
    RIP Bill ⚾️

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2019 at 11:15 am

Absolutely. Glad the Bosox had the brains to welcome him back when they won it all years later.
      I always wondered if getting plunked on the hip (I think) in the top of that inning affected his ability to get down for Mookie’s dribbler. That’s how I remember it anyway…

16. Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 11:14 am

Catching some shit from my old man lately about my crass language in the threads. So I’ll watch that going forward. He was in the air Force before he became a dentist. His service and the service of all our armed forces throughout history are greatly honored by me.

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2019 at 11:30 am

My late dad was in the shit big time in Korea.
      My mother says he came home unaffected and the first thing he did was go out and buy this:

• xoot said, on May 27, 2019 at 12:04 pm

My father and seven of his brothers joined various branches of the military to fight in WWII. At age eighteen, my father found himself a long way from the hills of Kentucky, fighting in two of the final battles in France. One of his brothers died in Europe. Another came back from North Africa completely wasted with PTSD — his life ruined. The other six returned to long, enjoyable, successful lives. My father, however, never talked about that war. He always artfully changed the subject.

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2019 at 12:44 pm

interesting. During the ph call today where my dad was ragging on me for so much cock talk we talked about the military and why he never wanted to talk about his experience. He said most don’t want to.

17. alleykat69 said, on May 27, 2019 at 11:17 am

Zumie..How do you not have a game on Memorial Day?
    Very sad indeed!
    What’s just as dumb they don’t have a game on July 4th!! BBQ’s,Hotdogs,Beer,Fireworks, but no freakin baseball ⚾️ that’s just wrong on some many levels!!

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 27, 2019 at 11:32 am

Giants promotions to San Jose could be interesting to see at a reasonable price.

2018 second-round pick Sean Hjelle
    2018 third-round pick Jake Wong
    2018 eighth-round pick Solomon Bates

• Stan Shell said, on May 28, 2019 at 8:16 am

Who?

19. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 12:57 pm

My step-dad drove a supply truck in Europe after D-Day. He told us a story about meeting Russian soldiers and knowing the Allies were closing in on victory. After Germany’s surrender, he was one of many many soldiers that were marched through concentration camps to bear witness. My dad said “Dead bodies were stacked like cordwood by the Germans. One person’s head to someone else’s toes.”
    His generation came back and resumed their lives. Overall my dad would talk about the war if someone really wanted to hear some stories, but he rarely mentioned it himself first. Maybe if he was watching a WWII movie he might comment on something. He also broke his jaw in a military base jeep accident in the U. S., before D-Day. He went to England crammed aboard the Queen Mary ocean liner like many other soldiers.

20. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 1:09 pm

I mentioned before on the Flap that a lot of the kids in my neighborhood had older dads than average. The dads being much older than the moms was typical in my neighborhood. Just a statistical fluke, I guess. My step-dad was 15 years older than my mom. He eventually lived to be 91.
    You never saw dads playing ball with kids in my neighborhood. The dads were taking it easy, recovering from the work week. A very blue-collar area.

21. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 1:12 pm

A Sergio Romo sighting! He gets the save for the Marlins vs. the Nats.
    That Nats manager is feeling some heat.

22. Irish Kevin said, on May 27, 2019 at 1:51 pm

What surprised me was how the Young hitters were able to hit HR at Oracle park. The lack of players the Giants draft that can’t hit home runs, that is on the Giants scouts.

• Irish Kevin said, on May 27, 2019 at 1:51 pm

The young hitters for the other teams

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Yeah, the Braves brought up 22 year old Riley. Instant HRs from him.

23. sandog said, on May 27, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Listened to the Padre game earlier today by getting the Yankess feed thru my mlb account.
    Didn’t think I’d like Sterling and forgot they have a female color commentator, but I thought they were very good. She just pumps out non stop stats and information, which is right up my alley.
    Memorial Day moment of silence was nicely done.

I’m digging this Carta Blanca. 51 pesos for a six pack of cans, which is less than $3.

• djloo27 said, on May 27, 2019 at 4:20 pm

How do you screw up a moment of silence?

• sandog said, on May 27, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Ha! Good point. I thought announcers handled it well. Paid their respects, but didnt get carried away.

24. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 3:19 pm

Reynolds has a .930 OPS so far for the Pirates. If he turns out to be something, that’s going to kinda hurt a bit. Sabean and Evans just knew almost nothing about evaluating young outfielders.

25. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 27, 2019 at 4:52 pm

* Billy Bucks: Remember how you all felt game 6 in ’02, watching it all slip away? Multiply that by 1,000,000,000 and that’s how game 6 ’86 felt to Sox fans. Great player, RIP.

* Brucie Boch: if the suckitude continues unabated over the next handful of weeks, he’ll *retire* at the AllStar break. No reason to not get the rebuild party started ASAP. Great manager, time to go fishin’.

* Bad Burn-out: now defined by the World Health Organization as a real disease. Symptoms: physical and mental energy depletion; mental distance from job or negativism toward job; and reduced professional effectiveness. Just sayin’.

26. snarkk said, on May 27, 2019 at 5:21 pm

Bill Buckner was a damn good hitter. 2700+ career hits is no friggin’ slouch.
    And reportedly a solid, good dude.
    He played for a handful of teams, not just the Doghairs and RSox.
    Too young to go…

27. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Mets ran themselves out of an inning vs. Kershaw.
    Seriously, if the Dodgers don’t win the World Series this year, that will be hilarious. What more do they need on their roster?
    I guess barring injury is the key.

28. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 7:28 pm

HR derby at Dodgers Stadium. Baseball as it is now.

29. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 7:30 pm

Kershaw leaves behind in the game, and the Dodgers score a bunch of runs to get him a win again.

30. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Fleming is doing the game for ESPN. He’s not going to mention Kershaw’s failures in the playoffs. It would sound partisan.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:03 pm

32. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Wow- the Mets’ boneheaded baserunning gets a third runner thrown out by an outfielder in the game. Garbage baseball at the major league level. Baserunning is horrible these days.

33. James said, on May 27, 2019 at 9:17 pm

• zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 9:50 pm

I’m all in on The Baseball Project.

34. zumiee said, on May 27, 2019 at 9:53 pm

Man, the Mets played some dumb baseball tonight. No wonder some of their fans want the manager canned.

35. snarkk said, on May 27, 2019 at 10:09 pm

On Memorial Day, an interesting article that speaks to views already made here by some on the Flap…

• djloo27 said, on May 28, 2019 at 4:22 am

I think I did it in about 8 words…

36. unca_chuck said, on May 27, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Zumie, not only did the guy get thrown out at 3rd for the last out of the inning, it kept the runner tagging from 3rd from scoring if he just stands there.

37. djloo27 said, on May 28, 2019 at 4:29 am

I thought the Dodgers were a lock to win it all at least once or twice in the past few years.
    Looks that way again.
    Is Z more or less likely to make a deal with them than Sabes & Evans?
    Do we have anything they need and would we (should we?) trade with them if the price is right?