Outrageous Ineptitude

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 1, 2019

After those 2 dunderheads threw a combined 90 pitches in the first inning I started diddling around google trying to find out if that was a record for the first inning, or any inning, by 2 pitchers who didn’t have anyone relive them. I came up empty but I am positive that is some type of record. Just because I couldn’t find a record doesn’t mean they didn’t set one….

Even more shocking than their 90 combined pitches is that one of those dopes was somehow less dopey than the other because he got the W. Zero strikeouts, 5 walks, 8 hits and 6 earned runs. And he got the W! That is amazing!

___________________________

Ok, maybe because I used the word *dunderhead* I’m in a Twinfan kind of mood today. Let’s do a contest! Admittedly this one is pretty hard but go ahead a take a stab at it. I’m ripping this off from Marty Lurie, it’s his contest question on twitter today. Predict the final score of today’s game AND the inning that the Giants hit their first home run. You have to nail it cold, unlike Marty’s contest. I’ll pop a $25 Amazon card in the mail on Monday if you can do this. 🙂

My pick: Orioles win 12-3 and Giants hit 1 bomb, Longo in the 2nd inning.

If this is too daunting for you I will also accept an alternative answer: guess the Giants player who will hit the first home run as well as the inning they hit it.

1. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:40 am

Same old thing from Bochy. Slow deep drawl, stays positive. A bad performance from a player is a “hiccup.” Anymore, I can’t stand his interviews. It’s just probably from being so over-familiar with him by now.

• willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:00 am

Alex Cora did same thing after Nunez got picked off 2b by the C last night. Hey bochy is just not a bomb thrower in his pressers, something I respect him for, though apparently behind closed doors is different. Pomeranz hopefully is done here though.

• willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:08 am

And he did say how disappointed he was that after finally busting out with big first inning the lead was lost in 10 minutes. Not to mention that SF bats did squat after 2nd inning vs. crappy O’s pitching. Even guys like Roberts, the prototype for how game is managed today, don’t go all out with public meltdowns calling out their players. And Roberts has publicly expressed his tremendous respect for bochy…just don’t get lack of it here.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:24 am

I don’t think it’s lack of respect. I just think it’s some coming down to Earth a bit after the legend of Bochy got so huge with the 3-in-5. These last few years we’ve seen Bochy, like all managers, lose a lot of games when the talent level of the players isn’t there.

2. willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:03 am

Minors report shows promotion for Shaw who hit well in pitcher friendly AA, cutting down Ks and increasing BBs.
    also Heliot Ramos is back playing in san Jose and homered off highly rated Pads prospect (whom my godson Pads fan loves) MacKenzie Gore.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:26 am

Thanks!
      Any news on Barts’ status?

3. willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:23 am

One of benefits of being on left coast is to be able to watch Astros when they are here to play the A’s. Despite playing without 3 legit superstars Springer Altuve and Correa, their subs contributed to a comeback 3-2 W over the A’s last night at Coliseum…in front of 14 thou.
    Recent call up Derek Fisher hit game winning HR off A’s reliever, OF Tony Kemp made a great defensive play as fill in 2b and so did defensive replacement Mayfield at SS (Bregman started there and then moved to 3b) who saved a run when A’s had man on 3b with infield in.
    Stros have tremendous org and great depth, fun team to watch.

4. willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:14 am

As has been pointed out here by others, Bochy as mgr isn’t going to matter this season in terms of W/L record. He’s playing the hand he has been dealt by Z–no underperforming vets dealt off (yet) and likes of Kratz Pomeranz solarte Parra and totally unproven kid hitters (all abject fails), the only new additions other than the .214 hitting Fwar leader. This isn’t a group Z built to win games, and oh what a surprise, they aren’t.

Unless they can convince him to leave in immediate future, say due to illness (as in I’m sick and tired of watching this crummy group every day) then he should be allowed to leave on his own terms as the most successful mgr. in SF Giants history.

5. unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:19 am

He still will be. Amd I’m really surprised they gave Pomegranate another start after that last one.

6. unca_chuck said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:21 am

SAnderson today?

6-1 Orioles. Belt with a solo shot in the 6th.

7. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:37 am

8-5 Giants
    2nd inning (Longoria?)

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:40 am

Back when he was alive, Longoria went 21/60 in 82 games at Camden…

8. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:39 am

Bomb-eranz must be let go ASAP.
    His contract is cheap, but loaded with incentives he can probably reach just by breathing…

9. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:43 am

“no underperforming vets dealt off (yet) ”

Which is just about every vet on the team besides Smith.
    Yes, this team was always going to be bad this season. Hopefully a bunch of the vets can be jettisoned off this season like Sigourney Weaver jettisons the alien at the end of Alien.
    That movie came out 40 years ago. That kind of blows my mind.

10. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:45 am

A lot of focus on how Zaidi drafts next week, and rightfully so. The only payoff for these crappy seasons is the drafting position.

11. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:50 am

I found this on Bart:

“Though he’s still in Arizona rehabbing at the team’s training facility, Bart could be rejoining the San Jose Giants in a blink of an eye.
    “I’m coming along well, I feel good. It’s kind of up to them, the front office. It could be any day now,” Bart says. “I feel ready to go and I’m just excited to get back up to San Jose with the team and win a bunch of games.”
    Once Bart learned the extent of the injury, he put his head down and did whatever it took to get back on a diamond. Within the first few days, he was already on the field, conditioning and working out. He’s placed a heavy emphasis on being in the best shape possible and focusing on much more than just his hand.
    “That’s been a big priority, just working out and getting in good shape so when I come back, hopefully nothing happens to my body aside from my hand,” Bart said. “That’s kind of been the purpose. Keep everything on top and in tip-top shape.””

12. James said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:00 am

Baseball Reference’s Play Index search doesn’t allow you to specify the inning, otherwise it looks like it would make it possible to get an answer to Flavor’s total pitches in first inning question. It’s disappointing that the retrosheet data doesn’t seem to be publicly available as a searchable database via AWS or GCP, but I guess someone would have to figure out the business model. The closest I could get was this slow to execute and display statcast query

that allows you to match up games by date of any two pitchers who have thrown 25 or more pitches in the first inning since 2008 (you can use the browser’s search function, the downloaded csv file gives an error). The first two results from April 2, 2008 are spurious, but the rest look legit, with Norris’s 54 pitch gem leading the way. The few I tried, e.g, search on 2015-09-29 to see if Norris’s pitching opponent that day is also listed, didn’t yield any matches.

13. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:05 am

Anybody know if Z plans to hire a GM at some point?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:09 am

I think I also asked that question a couple months ago, and that question persists… Maybe he’s establishing his power base before bringing someone in, knowing this is a lost year. The whole changeover should happen sooner rather than later. And it’s no disrespect to Bochy, nothing but respect for the guy, beginning to end.

14. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:06 am

I’m using Google Translator on your post, James, but … well…. eek…

• James said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:18 am

That was the point, Paul. I’m angling for that $25 gift certificate by other means: bamboozlement, shock, and awe.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:30 am

I am somewhat in awe…

15. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:13 am

1. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    2. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) DH
    4. Pablo Sandoval (S) 1B
    5. Brandon Belt (L) LF
    6. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Stephen Vogt (L) C
    9. Kevin Pillar (R) CF

16. djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:29 am

Belt in LF drives me nuts.
    What possible good can come from it?
    To showcase the versatility of Pablo? Seriously?
    Should Tyler Austin be getting more ABS? He’ll be 28 in September.
    Anybody convinced that Duggar’s a keeper? Doubt it…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:35 am

Agree about Belt in left and Pablo at 1st. It’s just pointless. Or, since Twinnie has already been conjured in today’s thread, it’s just stoopid… Austin should be playing more, this season is one long audition. Duggar, who knows. I still like Chris Shaw.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:53 am

I think going forward Duggar’s name should be followed by (who knows?) – at least a temporary upgrade from (who sucks)…

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:59 am

Definitely get Shaw up here. Get everybody up here.
        I used to like this old Shaw:

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:27 am

He looks like one of those jocks that couldn’t wait to beat up on hippies.

17. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:34 am

dudes please get your guesses in I really want to give away this gift card that somebody gave me yesterday LOL. Guess the score correctly OR the first giant to hit a bomb and what inning.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:56 am

Yeah c’mon guys, the hilarity starts in about 2 hours…

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:27 am

lulz

18. Bozo said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:59 am

Giants W 4-3 Pablo 1st HR, 2nd inning.

• Bozo said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:01 am

Giants get 2 runs in the 2nd the other 2 in the 8th. Watson gets the W.

19. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:24 am

James– I couldn’t figure out how to sort the numbers on that site you posted but thanks for getting the ball rolling. We gotta figure this out. I really think last night was a record. I looked up the Norris 54 pitch first inning and Cole Hamels threw 14 pitches in the top half of that inning. So PomPom and Crashner easily beat that.

• James said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:37 am

I think your hunch is right, and, yeah, you can’t sort, which is why it’s a bummer the csv download didn’t work. It’d be easy using excel or sheets.

20. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:25 am

game starts in an hour and a half, if you read this before first pitch get your guesses in!

21. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:30 am

Giants win 6-3, first HR in 5th inning.

22. James said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:32 am

I saw Austin drop that flyball a few weeks ago while sitting LF club level. He looked very shaky on a subsequent catch. He should be playing, but the only safe place for him is 1B.

Everyone lumps Belt in with the rest of the wash ups, but he’s doing ok, just a little under his career OPS so far. Still, I just assumed he was below average for a 1B. To my surprise, he doesn’t look that bad in the position comparison:

I now wonder if someone actually *would* trade for him, especially if SF pays for part of the contract. Pablo and Austin could split 1B.

23. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:32 am

fucking lunatic. I actually miss this shit, though

24. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:34 am

Diggity is on the golf course but he’s put in the following guess:
    Giants win 9-6, Yaz bombs first in the 3rd inning

25. James said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:38 am

Giants win 7-3, Belt in the second inning.

26. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:45 am

My morbid fascination with Reynolds continues. The 24 year old has an OPS of .971 and a WAR of 1.6 so far.

27. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 11:49 am

The Adam Jones ticker shows an OPS of .828 but still no love from WAR at 0.2.

28. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Williamson cleared waivers (big shocker), and is now a free agent.

29. Pasalon said, on June 1, 2019 at 12:32 pm

I say Giants lose today 3-8, and Panda hits first home run in the 5th. Bank it.

30. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 12:41 pm

I’m going to slightly change my prediction. I’ll keep it 12-3 Orioles but I’m calling for a Longo bomb in the 2nd (as the first and only bomb they hit today)

31. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Since I nailed my last HR prediction with Longo, I will switch players and go Crawford in the 4th inning and Giants win 6-2 with Thor’s best pitched game yet!! 7 strong 💪 2 walks 8 punch outs..

32. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2019 at 1:29 pm

To Mac Williamson
    Choose any team but the Dodgers! I would have to hate you if that happened and I don’t want that to happen.Go to an AL team, so you can DH too.. Hope you get your shit together and start raking the ball ⚾️

33. alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2019 at 1:59 pm

So Buster is the HR man!! Man I was thinking of taking him. Rats 🐀

34. Bozo said, on June 1, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Keep pounding away.

35. Macdog said, on June 1, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Hess trucked.

36. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 3:21 pm

nice to see Anderson step up here. 1 walk to 4k’s, much better than Beede who gave up 3 more walks last game.

• Macdog said, on June 1, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Yes, good to see, and first Giants starter to go 7 since April 13. He’s getting the start next Thursday in NYC.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 4:00 pm

I don’t think that’s gonna get me there…

• alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2019 at 4:01 pm

I nailed the innings pitched atleast for Thor!
      Great outing 7 innings 1 walk 4 K’s 💪

• willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:35 pm

one of those 3 was intentional, to the 8 hitter before the SP got run scoring single. So really only 2 BBs given up in his 6 inning stint. Plus that was only run Beede allowed too.

37. theroooster said, on June 1, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Saw zoom talk about how the Dodgers have a lineup that just swings for the fences and it works because the ball is juiced. That’s pretty funny. Anyone who thinks the Dodgers are winning because all they do is mash is missing the boat. For the month of May, Dodger’s starting pitching led the majors in ERA (2.50), WHIP (0.93), innings per start (6.36), and strike-out-to-walk ratio (7.41) in 26 games. They logged at least 6 innings in 22 games, walked more than 2 batters once, and allowed only 2 runs or less 15 times.
    Hmmmmm, maybe the ball is only juiced when the Dodgers are at bat?

• Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 3:46 pm

well swinging for the fences does work, because the ball IS juiced. I didn’t read his post but if you quoted it accurately then you should be giving him kudos for a comment right on the mark. And if you don’t think the ball is juiced then I’m not sure what to tell you.

• theroooster said, on June 1, 2019 at 4:09 pm

He was implying that the Dodgers are winning because the ball is juiced. If you can’t comprehend my post, I don’t know what to tell ya

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Someone shut him up…

38. Bozo said, on June 1, 2019 at 3:56 pm

And there you have it, the start of another win streak.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 4:06 pm

39. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 4:24 pm

James said 7-3, Kat went 6-2, ah so close. And nobody nailed Buster as the first HR. Well we have literally nothing left to do before the Dubs game tomorrow, let’s let the $25 gifty ride into the Sunday game, I’ll come up with the parameters and post them tomorrow along with a thread that’s been 9 years in the making. And tomorrow I get to post it. Stay tuned!!!!!!!

40. Macdog said, on June 1, 2019 at 4:26 pm

41. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 4:58 pm

Rooster, you don’t have it right what I said, or what I meant, anyway. You took my post as a put-down of the Dodgers. I’m saying the Dodgers have built a batting lineup perfectly matched for this juice-ball era. That’s to their credit they are playing the game as it needs to be played now.
    And for pitching this is a strikeout era. Pitching staffs need to have good strikeout rates, and the Dodgers have that.
    You’re so worked up you missed me complementing your team.
    I do hope they fall on their faces in the playoffs, though, as usual.

• Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 5:01 pm

Rooster is a damn idiot if he thinks the ball isn’t juiced. I’m poised to ruin him with numbers if he says it’s not. Say it Big Bird. Say the ball isn’t juiced….

42. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Kyle Crick just drilled Yelich in the arm with a pitch. Looked scary.

43. theroooster said, on June 1, 2019 at 5:48 pm

The ball does seemed juiced. What I’m saying is that so far this season , the Dodgers have the best starting pitching staff in baseball. This might be a reason they are winning so much, idk, what do you guys think?

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 5:59 pm

You’re a lock to make the series.
      What do you need to do to finally seal the deal?

• theroooster said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:10 pm

No such thing as a lock to make the series. The Mariners of 2001 won 116 games in the regular season and didn’t make it. No locks, Loo. You know this.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Well, then, answer his other question. Do you think their roster needs anything?

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Don’t start that fake humble routine garbage.
        Answer the question, Capon.
        How will you finally win it all?

44. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:17 pm

The Dodger ERA is really good, but I’m not sold on their starting rotation in the playoffs. Something’s missing with that group. They just don’t dominate in the playoffs like they do in the regular season.

45. theroooster said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:28 pm

Their bullpen – specifically, the bridge to Kenley – is their weak spot right now. They need a good lefty specialist or two to be sure. Kelly has been a bust so far, but the guy has always been streaky. So far, he’s been on a long bad streak.

• willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:39 pm

you had Watson 2017. want him back?

• alleykat69 said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Yeah give us Bellinger and Watson is all yours..

• Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 6:44 pm

tonight you proved at least you’re not a damn idiot. The juiced ball stats are not arguable. The Dodgers are great, they have been for years. They’ll going to fuck up the post season as they always do. Will I ever be wrong about this prediction? Sure, at some point they’ll win it all. Probably. Who cares? They are the lamest money team in the post season we’ve seen in decades. FUCKING DECADES. LOL. You know who closes the deal in the post season? The fucking Giants. Win something, for fucking once goddamn please let it be something more than the NL West crown this year, and then you know what you get? A fucking knowing dude head nod. And that’s 1. Next up, go after 3. It’s a long road Big Bird, you ain’t up to the task…….

• theroooster said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Lol – it ain’t my task to be up to. NL West crown? That thing is already won. Boston had a better team last year, no surprise in that outcome. The year before was harder to take. Yeah, eventually they might pull it off, who knows, maybe this year, maybe not. Fun watching them beat up on everyone so far, we’ll see if they can finally put it together at the end.

• Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:07 pm

NL West crown is the same as last in the NL west unless you’re a big ribbon guy. Participation trophy shit. That’s cool, look man they are a solid team as usual. Let’s see them close the deal one fucking time. ONCE. Then you can come here and strut around and we’ll see what happens. But it’s gotta happen at least once during all these long ass fucking dinners over the last 3 decades right? At least once? LOL

• theroooster said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Well, BF I see you like to play your little guessing games here at the Flap. How ’bout we all guess how many games the Giants will finish back of the Dodgers this season. It’s at 16 now.
        I’ll pick a nice round number, I’ll go with 40.

• zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Yeah, it looks like the Giants will only get 3 championships this decade. We’re going to have to wait a few years for the next one. The Giants will get rebuilt. The Joey Bart and friends era is coming.

• willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:35 pm

like the country song said, Here’s a quarter/call someone who cares about how far behind LA Giants wind up this season.

the number I and all Giants fans here have in mind is…’88

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:14 pm

I can’t resist a good guessing game…

46. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:38 pm

The Dodgers are good at winning this award:

47. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:49 pm

yeah I’m going to play some dumbass guessing game with you. Jesus Christ I’m busy man. I was serious about that 4:24 post. Man, i got a doozy for tomorrow. If you care about baseball and family and the flap, you need to log in here tomorrow…..

48. Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 7:54 pm

does anyone here care about baseball and family and the flap? Anyone? Because I like Rooster, I really do, and all the championships he’s looking forward to like the rest of us, but I don’t care about that stuff right now. Tonight I’m all about The Flap. My family. And baseball. Who wants to hear about all that shit tied up together tomorrow?

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:07 pm

I’m psyched!

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:16 pm

And clueless…

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:32 pm

I’ll take a stab at it…you have Stix in your guest room?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Me too…

• Flavor said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:15 pm

thank you. tomorrow we’re going to kick around what baseball is all about.

• Bozo said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Nine years in the making? Dang dude, time to air that thing out. Looking forward to it.

• theroooster said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:55 pm

BF getting married? Naaaaaw

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:02 pm

Or writing a book?

49. willedav said, on June 1, 2019 at 8:54 pm

how about these numbers–95 96 97 Verlander’s fastballs in 6th inning as he strikes out A’s Chapman and Olson. Stros up 3-1.

• djloo27 said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:24 pm

When there’s a runner on first and the batter hits a ground-rule double the announcer ALWAYS has to say that that it was a bad break because the runner would probably have scored.
      I think by this time people have it figured out…

50. xoot said, on June 1, 2019 at 9:52 pm

Schulman now touting ASU OF Hunter Bishop as a likely Giants number ten pick on Monday. I don’t have much confidence in schulman, however

51. zumiee said, on June 1, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Dodgers win on a walk-off HR from a rookie catcher they recently brought up from AAA, because of course they did.

52. willedav said, on June 2, 2019 at 7:01 am

Michael Brantley fun guy to watch hit. Beats LHP and shift twice with soft line drive singles away from D.
    Plus .540 slugging and .900 OPS.
    Posey meanwhile adds to Fwar with bomb in Giants W.