Getting Better

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 10, 2019

If Booby and Sabes were still at the helm I would have absolutely zero confidence that they could work the mid season trade scene. Not only do they have no understand of what their players are worth I’m not sure they even knew who all the other GM’s were. But Zaidi, until he shows he can’t do it, gets my full and total endorsement on trading anyone on our team that anyone else might want.

The question that will be fun to watch unfold is, does he package Bum and Smith in a blockbuster or will he get more value by trading them separately. Outside of those two I’m not sure if we have anyone worth anything. Maybe Belt. Maybe a couple other relievers. But if you’re talking about trading for a stud blue chip or two—Bum and Smith are the golden gooses.

Anyway, the trade deadline is our world series this year. There is enough demand, Z will not get hoodwinked or taken for a ride by another GM.

1. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:14 am

I wonder if Craw could be packaged in a deal somehow. His current WAR is 0.1. He killed rallies all weekend.

• willedav said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:16 am

dunno Zum but it would depend how little you wanted back. Last season he had 2 hot months, May/June where he hit well and had 1.000 OPS both months. After that, he was awful and batted under .200 for July august and September. this year the hot month just hasn’t happened. Even on road he’s still only .700 OPS guy.
      As late as 2015/16 he was 4-5 WAR player with .460/.430 slugging. As Clouseau said about the “priceless vase”, “Not anymore.”

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:40 am

he said that about the Steinway piano but a rad Clouseau pull nevertheless.

• djloo27 said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:32 am

Why would anyone want a bloated SS with a bloated contract?

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:55 am

I wish I had an answer for that.

2. willedav said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:59 am

Z’s first test to see what prospects he can pry out of contender for Bum Smith and/or Watson. And realize who he gets might still be year or two away from ML hitter. Dodger bloggers pretty high on Smith…would Z do that?

I get the jonesing for offense but it would also be great if Giants scouting staff could find the next Buehler while they are at it. dodgers tweeted yesterday on cbs site league is hitting .132 off his slider. To go with fastball he can ramp up to 98. High among Giants heroes of 3/5 were likes of Lincecum Cain Wilson and bum. It’s just the other side of the equation that works so well. Ask LA Yanks Houston last year–pitching of Sox outdid their offense and power.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:57 am

As mentioned in the lead, the only players that will get any return that is close to MLB read are Bumgarner and Smith with relievers mixed in. There’s probably a good return to be found there. With a controllable year left I could see Panik getting moved to a club that just needs one more slappy singles hitter to get them over the top. I wouldn’t’ be surprised to see Pillar getting moved for a bag of balls to a club needing a late defensive guy.

All things considered it was a pretty good day at Snoracle yesterday. Seats in section 105, nice and sunny, great views throughout the lower level. Bumgarner’s red ass act was sort of funny in that nobody even really paid much attention to it. I noticed the home plate umpire was basically right there as if the home office has given guidance and walked him back to the mound. With 13 LOB, the Giants had opportunities to win this one and couldn’t get it done. Hey, it’s what lousy teams do. Or don’t do, I guess. The inability to get Panik home from 2nd with no outs in the first and the Yastrzemski getting caught in the run down at 3rd with no outs in the 6th pretty much sum it up.

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:59 am

question for you: there wasn’t a real good angle on that dust up, did the ump’s presence stop Bum from going towards him further? Had the ump not been there do you think he would have continued towards him?

• unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:55 am

Not really. The 1st base ump walked toward him. Thing is, Bummie had already jawed at the home plate ump for a couple close pitches before the home run.

Bummie did apologize to the ump after the inning was over. So there’s that.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 10, 2019 at 2:03 pm

It was the home plate ump.

• snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:03 am

Dirt- did U get the tix off Stubhub or similar? How much for good seats like that now?…

4. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:00 am

It’ll be a miracle if the Dubs can pull this one out tonight. Even if KD can go, what kind of quality contribution can he make after a month away? I think the Dubs screwed this one up, if his injury was that bad, they should have just left it open ended, and said he’s got a tough injury, he may or may not be back for the playoffs. Klay is at 80%, maybe. Boogie can barely move. Iggy has a nagging leg injury, as usual. Steph looks like he’s exhausted and beat up. Draymond has to whip these guys into a frenzy to win; it might be one time too many for that to happen…

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:02 am

yeah, it just feels over. They did come back and beat OKC and I think Houston when they were down 3-1, right? All good things come to an end.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:18 am

The ump must have been walking up the first base line because he saw what was happening but I didn’t even realize he was there until he jumped in to walk him back to the mound. Bumgarner is a belligerent bully who looks like a jack ass when he pulls this stuff and is just full of hot air imo – I don’t think he would’ve done jack regardless of the ump (who gives him a convenient out). Munsey didn’t even seem to notice until he was rounding first and his “yeah, whatever” reaction was similar to what everyone seemed to be thinking.

6. djloo27 said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:25 am

Lay off Bum, guys. He’s a Giant god who performed miracles for peanuts.

From the NY Post:

Plate umpire Will Little rushed out and walked Bumgarner back toward the mound as Muncy continued around the bases. Muncy then shouted toward Bumgarner again as he crossed the plate. The former World Series MVP felt he had every right to express his anger.

“I can’t even say it with a straight face but the more I think about it, I should just let the kids play,” Bumgarner said. “But I just … I can’t. … They want to let everybody be themselves, then let me be myself. That’s me.”

• alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:37 am

Agree Loo,Yeah baseball wants more excitement in the game, bat flips, shimmy’s,stare downs, slow HR trots,whatever, and a pitcher should still have his say as well.Bum likes to pitch inside a lot too, and that’s his rights without a player whining about that , cause they think they own that area, well screw them.. Bum plays his own “Let them Play” and I for one admire that, he has extreme pride which a lot of his teammates don’t..

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:36 am

he’s got an interesting take with that “they can be them, I’ll be me, too” take.

7. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:47 am

I would love to see guys who rip a massive singer like Munsey did flip the bat, do a handspring, clap hands , whatever. And, if Bum Ks him next AB, Bum does a jig on the mound. Why Not? NBA and NFL are full of that, everybody’s cool with it, it jacks up the fans too. Mossbacks like Kruk need to figure out this is entertainment. And baseball is heading into crap entertainment for your dollar unless they figure out how to bring the excitement back…

8. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 9:59 am

I thought it was the 1st base ump that came over, as Bummie was walking toward 1st. But whatever. Like I said above, Bummie had already jawed with the HP ump for a couple close pitches before the home run. 2 batters into the game.

He later apologized to him. He’s kinda sensitive about it, but in the end it was his bad pitch. Take your lumps and move on.

9. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:07 am

Anybody up to see a SJ Giants game this weekend? Playing Visalia all this week thru Sunday….

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:16 am

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:16 am

Pretty crazy news out of the Dominican regarding Ortiz. I spent some time there a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. We took a trip into the capital and didn’t feel unsafe but like many of these resort destinations everything is clean and secure where the tourists are but venture even just a couple of miles away and there’s intense poverty. Not much different than getting away from the tourist areas of Hawaii tbh.

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:21 am

If I was a famous person like Ortiz with a known 70 mil or whatever there is no way in hell I’d go back to the DR except maybe to move my family out of there.He’s just way too much of a target.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:33 am

True. I guess they think their celebrity will protect them too. Not trying to minimize the attempted murder at all but Ortiz strikes me as a bit shady.

Who was the player that was kidnapped in Venezuela a couple of years back? Ramos?

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:19 am

snarkk, we were in section 105 and the face value was $126. My buddy got the tickets for free through a vendor at his workplace.

12. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 10:59 am

Dirt.. Yes it was catcher Wilson Ramos who was kidnapped and fortunately released a few days later.
    No confirmation former Giant Angel Villanova was involved, he only prefers shooting incidents with payoffs to victims family 💰

• xoot said, on June 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm

He got paid off too with three years on the Giants forty man roster—mlb minimum salary for a guy who never had a chance to get called up. I saw him play in San Jose. He looked like a fat high school kid

13. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 11:10 am

The Dubs can win tonight, and they don’t need a Herculean effort from KD just some solid minutes, if Klay is on top of his game, and if Steph replenishes his drained battery (remember he came into game 2 with some lingering effects of something, and he looked gassed in game 4), then they can win tonight. Boogie needs to play better as well. Just having KD out there helps the bench a lot.

Lotsa ifs but it is doable. They win tonight, and all bets are suddenly off.

Overall, the stupid turnovers and fouls are not helping the poor shooting and lazy defense.

14. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 11:33 am

Fun site where people ask weird / insane / non-sensical / occasionally interesting questions. This one has to do with baseball. Many points that we discuss here regularly . . . .

15. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 2:13 pm

I wonder if BF knows that the title of his main post today is the title of a Beatles song.

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 2:24 pm

i had a convo with someone at work today. I told them that every Queen song ever written was better than any Beatles song ever written and I thought he was going to punch me in the face. But I stood my ground.

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 2:59 pm

The members of Queen would find your statement absurd. 🙂

16. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 2:22 pm

“San Francisco announced it acquired fringe outfielder Alex Dickerson from the Padres on Monday in exchange for Single-A righty reliever Franklin Van Gurp.
    Dickerson, who has been assigned to Triple-A Sacramento, had been designated for assignment last week after the 29-year-old struggled to make an impact in the majors.
    Originally a third-round pick by Pittsburgh in 2011, he’ll be a flier who broke through in 2016, when he slashed .382/.425/.622 in 62 Triple-A El Paso games and held his own upon his promotion (.257/.333/.455) in 84 games with the Padres.”

17. Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 2:24 pm

cool pic of the polo grounds

• Bozo said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Awesome photo.

• djloo27 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Where’s the kale garden?

18. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Queen, perfect name for a band that royally sucks!
    When their so called music plays on the radio I turn to another station immediately.”Their like nails on a chalkboard” just can’t stand them..

19. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:01 pm

I like Queen, but they wouldn’t make my top 50 of bands.

20. Bozo said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:13 pm

I still say, until Zaidi does something to help the Giants and/or hurt LA, I’m not all in on the guy.
    If/when he does make a trade, hopefully it won’t be like his Zach Elfin to the Phils for a year of Jimmy Rollins suckitude back in 2015.

21. Stan Shell said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Imagine Mays catching Vic Wertz’s fly to the center field wall.

Runners on- -none scored and the Indians who won about 110-112 games that year got swept. That photo looks like you would need a taxi to get to CF.

• alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Thinking the same thing about that CF Stan.
      What was that like 479 to straight away center?
      Only guys like Mantle&Mays could smoke a 500 footer back then at the Polo Grounds I assume..
      Yeah Cleveland was loaded with talent in 54,Al Rosen GM Giants later on was a stud on that team, but like you said, got Swept by the Giants so 110 + wins don’t mean squat, if you don’t have the heart..

22. Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:27 pm

Queen is great and the Beatles are terrible, it was a pretty easy call actually

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:40 pm

haha, you should come in tomorrow arguing for Fleetwood Mac or even better Smash Mouth – they may not have a big enough “catalog” to justify the argument.

24. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:44 pm

The Kinks blow both of them away.

• djloo27 said, on June 10, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Kinks are the Juan Marichal of the British Invasion.
      As in overshadowed…

25. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 4:05 pm

Well, you can think Queen is great, and I won’t dispute that; but to say the Beatles are terrible is the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever posted here.
    But, as I’ve said before on the Flap, the Beatles don’t need me to defend them. Their place of greatness in music history is incredibly secure. Their legacy is as strong as ever.

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 4:09 pm

the Beatles were terrible musicians, that has been documented by Quincy Jones who knows more about musician talent than you or me. The fact that you like them is fine, I find them to be nearly impossible to listen to.

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 4:26 pm

The Beatles weren’t terrible musiclans, but great rock and roll was never about level of musicianship, anyway, and Jones may not understand that, even though he should. It was always about great songs played with honest emotion. The Beatles’ best instruments were their voices and songwriting, distinctive voices and great songs that continue to move people to this day and on into the future. McCartney is filling football stadiums in his late 70s.

26. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 4:28 pm

I’ve said before on the Flap that I’m a huge Kinks fan. They rank very highly with me.

27. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 4:35 pm

We are the sucking of bands
    And we’re keep on sucking till the end

28. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 4:38 pm

Not to say the Beatles’ solo work is great. Some of it is, and some of it isn’t. The solo work is a mixed bag.

29. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 10, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Like or don’t like the Beatles or their songs, any discussion about their legacy must include the context of when they were doing what they were doing. From ’64 to ’69, everything they did had pretty much never been done before, and most other bands that followed, even of that era, owe something to how groundbreaking their music was. I understand how someone who didn’t *grow up on the Beatles* might not like their songs, but their volume of completely original and experimental work over just 5 short years is their true value, not necessarily the likeability of some of their songs.

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Great post.

30. Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 5:01 pm

I just read that McCartney just played at Labau Field and didn’t take a single break in a 4 hour set. So while I can’t listen to more than a couple of Beatles songs all the way through I do respect him for pulling off something like that at his age.

• djloo27 said, on June 10, 2019 at 5:40 pm

I bet you can get all the way through this one…

31. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:05 pm

The ubiquitous Doris Burke. Seemingly everywhere.

32. djloo27 said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:12 pm

How would you like to fight a couple of hours of NYC rush hour traffic to Yankee Stadium – spend a non-refundable $35.00 to park – another $100.00 on food and drinks – find your seats a half hour before the first pitch – and promptly get told to leave because they just decided to cancel the game…

• alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:16 pm

That would suck even more then Queen..

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Ouch!

33. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Fat Bottomed Girls v. Let it Be.
    You decide…

34. gianthead said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Queen better than the Beatles…man that is bold!!! Rolling Stones to me the best of that era 60s and 70s…

35. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:44 pm

Led Zeppelin #1 alltime for me
    AC/DC a strong contender as well..
    Rolling Stones..Let it Bleed album definitely a winner!!

• Macdog said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Stones’ 4-album run of Beggar’s Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St. is as good as it gets.

• Bozo said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:22 pm

I agree, Mac but gotta add Get Yer Ya Yas Out to that mix.The Mick Taylor years with the Stones are my favs of theirs.

36. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:47 pm

50 year anniversary of Abbey Road. Still sounds great. Timeless.

37. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Still one of my favorite gifs. Kudos to whoever did it.

38. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Yeah good call Mac,That Sticky Finger Album cover was allittle bazaar, but cool too😎

39. Bozo said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:13 pm

The Who opened for Herman’s Hermits when they first toured the States. Can you imagine those poor little hipsters having to sit through ‘My Generation’, with drums and guitar smashing, while waiting to hear ‘I’m Henry the 8th I am’?

• alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Yeah that would be hilarious Bozo!
      Keith Moon& PeteTownsend went thru their share of drums& guitars back then as the original Rebels..

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Classic mismatch.
      Early on, I think Hendrix opened for the Monkees on a tour.

• Bozo said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:33 pm

Didn’t Little Richard fire Jimi from his band for being to flamboyant?.

• unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:35 pm

yep

40. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:22 pm

If Durant played this series, Dubs win it, no question. His time in there tonight proved it. He’s done for the season. Hats off to him for giving it a go. Hope it’s not an Achilles…

41. Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:23 pm

quite a first half. Feel terrible for Durant especially if he just blew out his achilles. Big props to him for giving this a go.

42. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Nope. Same calf thing more than likely.

43. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Dubs are still playing inspired ball and clutch D .Curry& Thompson lighting it up and Iggy/Looney holding their own..

44. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Boogie can barely move his feet…

• willedav said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:01 pm

given what’s on top of them, there is a lot to move.

45. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:56 pm

If the Giants vets had half the stones and heart of Dubs vets, they’d still suck. Dubs leaving it all on the court tonight !…

• alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Only Red Ass Bum still plays with fire in his belly, which I admire..

46. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 7:58 pm

KD just left the arena on crutches.
    Tough way to end your Dubs career..

47. willedav said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:00 pm

toward end of my softball playing days, got in a year round Sunday league. One team used to blast “we are the champions” after a w. Got old pretty fast. One season they did win the league, but next one our team beat them which was sweet. And that was that for the theme song.

• alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:04 pm

That’s bush league softball right there!

48. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Iggy needs somebody else to shoot 25 footers…

• willedav said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:06 pm

and elevate for him at the rim, something else he can’t do anymore, like free throws. Love the guy but end is coming soon. Don’t like him passing up open shots in middle of lane to kick it out somewhere. Plant your feet and shoot!

49. willedav said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:04 pm

A guy I played ball with in high school I ran into a dozen years later through his gf at my work. We’d play with friends nearby and one day I tipped a rebound away from him. Later he said “you never used to be able to do that.” I said, “those days you didn’t have as much to lift off the ground.”

50. zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Fun music fact: Neil Young and Rick James we’re briefly in a band together in the ‘60s called the Mynah Birds. The band broke up when James was arrested for having gone AWOL from the military. Not sure if any recorded music exists of them.

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:13 pm

YouTube does have a few things. It’s not terrible.

51. willedav said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:13 pm

“Jordan bell loses vision on serge Ibaka” who is like 6-9 260 and promptly dunks off feed from lowry. so much for the Jordan bell era which hopefully will soon end.

52. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Quinn cook and Jordan Bell playing in Q4 of the finals elimination. Talk about no defensive clue. Criminy…

53. Flavor said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:14 pm

54. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:19 pm

Yeah Iggy is afraid to shoot the rock, you have wide open looks you fire away..

55. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:20 pm

We are playing terrible, but that non-call there was incredibly stupid.

56. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Lawine took 6 steps in front of the refs and they don’t call it. What a joke…

• snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Kawih…

57. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Then again, there’s this. Possbily the most frightening thing I’ve ever seen.

58. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:21 pm

59. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Game over.

60. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Sad. We are ust hucking prayers.

61. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:24 pm

No more Iggy shooting. Dubs are gassed and have no benche…

62. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:25 pm

And fuck toronto for cheering KD’s injury.

63. Macdog said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:26 pm

My goodness, Leonard.

64. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Fuck Canada for that matter . . .

• alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Yeah Fuck Canada, never liked those slimy Canucks!!

65. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:27 pm

How can you have Counsins trying and failing terriblely on Leonard??

66. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:29 pm

They better not take that away.

67. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:29 pm

That’s a basket!!

68. djloo27 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Looked good to me…

69. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Wow. That is a horrible call.

70. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Jeez WTF the ball was clearly off the rim!!

71. djloo27 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:32 pm

The morons fell for the optical illusion from certain angles instead of believing the obvious one…

72. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:33 pm

Love me some Klayyyy. !!!

73. alleykat69 said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:33 pm

DUBS!!! Heart of Champions!!!

74. unca_chuck said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:33 pm

Jesus. Major crunch time.

75. snarkk said, on June 10, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Whatever happens, these Gus are gassed, and leaving it on the damn court. Heart of a champion!…