Salad Days, Overflowing

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 13, 2019

Today is truly a great day in sports—We get to revel in another Giants win. Hockey is OVER! And tonight the Dubs get a chance to keep this improbable season alive.

Honestly, as a Warrior fan, this feels like house money. I still can’t believe they won Game 5. Mentally I had already prepared for a loss and an end to the season. In a way, it was the reverse of the World Series run in 2014. I refused to let myself get caught up in the hype of the run until they won the pennant. I just didn’t think that team was good enough.

Now that we know for certain this is the last game in Oakland I hope the fans bring it. Bring it loud, bring it hard. Just please bring it. I know people are paying $50K for floor seats and at that price you can be as dumb as you wanna be. Sit, stand, beat off, it’s your seat.

But this franchise has gifted us so much. If you can’t do loud and proud just go out thankful. Show the world what this team has meant to us. Nearly 50 years deserves some respect.

1. zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 6:16 am

This NBA championship series started off kind of meh, but eventually turned into something dramatic. It became a memorable series through the good, bad, and adversity.

2. zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 6:35 am

On this date, this catch. Perfect outfield positioning, perfect jump on the ball, perfect angle, perfect dive, and perfect catch. And perfect game.

• alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:08 am

Yeah that Catch by Blanco was surperb!
      Definitely saved the Perfect game for Cain!

3. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:05 am

Agree BF, The Warriors are playing with house money with all their injuries/devastating loss of KD and yet still pulled out a gut wrenching win that only true champions can do!
    Oracle will sound like a ”
    Ted Nugent concert”
    120 plus decibels as fans knowing the last game ever will be stoked to easily handle this one, I predict a blowout win by 15 plus, and on to Toronto for GM 7 where anything goes,and until you prove you can knock off the champs, your still 2nd rate like your fans Toronto!!

4. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:14 am

Win or lose this series, the Dubs have provided incredible sports memories in this run. That last game was one of the gutsiest, ballsiest sports wins I’ve seen. If they go down, they are going down as champs, with heads high…

• djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:21 am

As Reggie Miller once said after his Pacers were eliminated:
      “We can hang our heads high”

5. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:47 am

mm just hope O town stays safe regardless of outcome tonight.

6. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:54 am

Day off for Giants followed by stretch of 20 in a row without one. After Brewers Giants play West teams against whom they are 14-16 so far after last night. 3-2 in brief homestand, only 16 runs allowed and played LA tough except for meltdown game lost by DRod and Melancon out of pen.
    Pitching was good last night though sloppy play by young Pads pretty much handed them W. Like to see more of Solano/wondering how much longer Yaz experiment lasts.

Looking at run differentials, in exact same amount of games Giants have allowed 1 more run on road than at home. though that could change given Pomeranz/Brewers match up. yikes
    Meanwhile Giants have scored 50 fewer runs at home than road.

7. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:42 am

The only Pomenraz news I want to hear is his release..

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:57 am

Murph (from the morning show on KNBR) consistently is calling Pom his least favorite Giant of all time. Wow. I’m not sure I would go there. But that is a great question for The Flap: Who is your least fav Giant of all time…..My first take is Tyler Walker, I hated that sweaty fuck. But I am going to noodle this out before I go *final answer*

• djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:03 am

Mike McCormick because he’s a cocksucker…

• djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:04 am

^not a banned word, I see…

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:09 am

for some reason Kat seems to land on the banned words most often 🙂

• willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:19 am

Benitez. Never could understand why they got him in first place after watching epic J T Snow bomb off him while sitting in Mel’s Bowl redwood city.

• Bozo said, on June 13, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Little Brett Butler. Didn’t like him as a Brave, didn’t care about him as an Indian, started hating him as a Giant and really hated the little man as a rooster crowing Dodger.
        On his radio show when he was playing for us, he said something about the devil was in the Giants bats, or some tripe like that. So a few buddies and myself were going to dress like devils, go out to those metal bleachers at the Stick and start some sort of “Oh Brett” chant while pounding the rhythm out on the bleachers using the pitchforks. And then, we sobered up. Wish we had done it.

8. zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:08 am

He’s not close to being my least favorite Giant, but Peavy’s personality kind of annoyed me. The kind of loud dumb jock personality that’s annoying.

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:09 am

Peavy’s exactly the kind of guy that would lose $15 million to a crooked accountant.

• willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:24 am

hardly the only one. just finished bio on Ernie Banks “Let’s Play Two” by Ron Rappaport, and his finances were a mess due to poor investments/lack of attention to same until late in his life when a caregiver took control of things. Like Mays and others he used to take cash at those card shows, without much accounting, and had to settle with IRS. Banks also had some messy divorces, and one of the exes wound up with some valuable memorabilia including an MVP trophy.

9. zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:12 am

My least favorite may end up being Melancon. He’s not fun to watch in any way, and his contract has been horrible.

10. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:31 am

Rowand the gamer would be pretty high on my list too. That godawful batting stance that so often wound up with weak groundballs to left side beatching about playing time when he sucked, and collateral damage of himbeing released that cost Nukes his job
    . K and K had something to do with it too, always talking up his 500 pregame swings in batting cage…like that did any good. Lot of the hustle just seemed phony to me, total opposite of way Pence played.

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:36 am

K & K were ridiculously uncritical of Rowand. Meanwhile Belt got hammered with criticism by them. Maybe Rowand would buy them drinks or something.

• alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 11:05 am

Yeah Rowand’s stupid A__constipance stance has to be one of the worse stances in history!
      “I wonder if he looked into a mirror bent over a toliet with a bat and then took a dump?”

11. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:32 am

Excellent article, Flav. Been a Warriors fan through many highs and lows, and the Coliseum Arena was always packed and loud, even when the team was in the Chris Cokeburn Joe Barely Cares doldrums of the 90s.

Bad Giants? Sam McDowell leaps off the brain. Rennie Stennett. AJ Piershityski. Beltran was a shit rental who only played well by the time it was too late.

• Stan Shell said, on June 13, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Six-pack Sam once again rides memory lane in SF!

Did he ever win 10 games? We only gave up Gaylord Perry (and another Cy Young).

OSF

12. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:39 am

Oh wow Bad Kitty, I didn’t know I was that offensive BF, I will work on cleaning up my act!
    Oh easily for me the Giant I couldn’t stand and was worse then Pomegranate is drum roll….
    TODD WELLENMEYER..That dude stunk so bad it was a guaranteed loss when he took the mound, I cringed Everytime I said his sorry A__ in uniform!!
    AJ Persu__off a close second, every teammate hated his guys!!

13. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:43 am

Zito would be on my Mt. Rushmore of most hated too. Just could not stand to watch him throw slop balls all over the place. That season he started 0-8 was just the worst, and he made it worse with all that “just gotta trust my stuff” nonsense he blathered to press.
    Great pic of him with eddacker’s kid in flap bucket/STL game do not undo $120 mil (for total of 2.4 WAR value) and 7 yrs of mostly abject suckitude.

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 11:41 am

For me, his 2012 performance makes up for all the lousy times with him. Not everyone will see it that way.

14. sandog said, on June 13, 2019 at 11:27 am

I would probably go with Johnnie LeMaster. To me, he is the one guy who sums up how hard it was for me to be a Giants fan growing up. Lousy hitter, lousy fielder, kind of a gangly, odd looking dude. And we never could get rid of him. Seemed like he was our starting SS for 12 years. The Reds and Dodgers were always loaded with studs and we had Johnnie Freaking LeMaster.
    I couldn’t stand him.
    It has always surprised me that he gets pretty good treatment on here and others remember him much more fondly than I do. The “Boo” uniform thing WAS great though—I’ll give him that.

I was also never a big Renteria fan, for what its worth.
    Manny Trillo would be in my bottom 3 as well……

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 11:44 am

Manny Trillo was lousy and surly for the Giants. I remember him shoving another Giant one time during an on-field argument.
      Which reminds me of Strickland shoving Pence. Strickland ranks high in the dookie pile, too.

15. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 11:50 am

You know it is hard to realize how long Giants held onto “Redneck Disaster” as we used to call him.
    Career numbers for Giants: .225/.280/.293 for .573 OPS and 21 bombs in like 11 years. symbol of SF frustration to watch
    Contrast that with much more likeable Jose Uribe:
    10 years/19 HRs .241/.299/.316 for .614 OPS. cool player you always wished hit little better

16. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 11:51 am

Here’s 7 more Giant losers
    Armando Benitiz
    Jose Gullen
    Sidney Poson
    Miguel Tejada
    Nefi Perez
    Enos Cabell
    Ken automatic DP Reitz

• willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Sidney ponson good one Kat.
      yeah Cabell…nickname of course one those words you’d get banned for again.

• unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 1:40 pm

He had the double distinction of being Penis or Anus Cabell. Quite versatile.

17. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 12:10 pm

The O was place I saw so much good b-ball and tremendous players, even if only 5 thou were there and got more fun out of the Ramp than watching Lewis Lloyd Lorenzo Romar JBC or Jabari Parker’s dad Sonny.

One of best things about it, so unlike annoying pregame/PA guys of today, was Dick Callaghan. All of us loved to imitate his calls, and he usually gave name and number of everyone (even opposition) guys who scored. While he had great “Purvis…Short” holler you’d also hear “#44 is George Gervin” as we’d repeat to our buddies. And the intros were spoken in nice even voice, “In his 8th year from University of Iowa at 6-8 #42 the Hawk Connie Hawkins.”

• unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 2:22 pm

I just loved “Purvis Short . . . shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooting TWO!!!”

18. sandog said, on June 13, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Ponson didn’t do much for the Giants, but I saw him pitch at Arizona after we got him and I seem to remember he pitched well. Barry got a big hit off Mike Meyers and I think the Giants won. It was a fun spontaneous road trip that I went on with Matt–my oldest. He thought the indoor ballpark was cool and loved all the between innnings stuff like a mascot riding a motorcycle. Modern baseball to be sure. But that whole trip always make we think fondly of Ponson—even though I know he was an overall disappointment for us.

• willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 12:34 pm

One of Sabes moves that backfired I thought. He hadn’t been that good for the Orioles, and came here and went 3-6 on a team that won 93 games for Alou. Hey noticed with Curt Young the pitching coach out, one of the guys helping Matt Herges out as an assistant is Steve Kline. I think he and Ponson have similar body type.

• djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 6:14 pm

He was acquired to be our big #2 guy behind Schmidt.
        Fat piece of garbage…

19. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Part of the thing about making type of trades Z will have to make for Giants is how much imo prospects have become so overvalued.
    Sabes only wanted to abuse other teams. Oh you got Scutaro? I’ll give you Culbertson for him.
    Nowadays it’s the opposite way around and shoe is on other foot.

Another of Pads highly rated prospects was current C, Hedges. After the 0-3 last night he’ hitting .181, in June and didn’t do much better last year either. Margot, who popped out for final out last night, is hitting .228. Their farm has been highly rated for years, but some of them just aren’t very good at ML level.

20. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Bozo, that 12:07 is POTD. That would have been pretty funny if you guys had gone through with it or given him some voodoo shit.

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Butler’s most famous internet monent:

• Bozo said, on June 13, 2019 at 1:51 pm

That kid is my idol.

• alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 6:04 pm

Yeah that kid is my idol also Bozo!

21. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 1:18 pm

All these names of past bad Giants — brings back memories.
    There were so many bad Giants in the 70s and 80s, lots to choose from.
    Are there separate categories for “bad” Giant in the sense of just bad player, and “bad” Giant as in just a bad, nasty, unlikable dude and teammate? As in, Barry was a great Giant, but also a really “bad” Giant…

• djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 2:45 pm

You sure nailed it there, snarkk.
      I couldn’t stand the endless parade of forgettable no talent types.
      Doesn’t make them bad people.
      Everyone here could rattle off dozens…

22. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Butler is up there on my list as well. The way he creamed himself (learning) when he giot signed by the Dodgers was vile and disgusting.

23. Flavor said, on June 13, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I’m sticking with Tyler Walker even though reminding me of Benitez almost switched him out. Zito? Shit, he’s a Forever Giant God to me for what he did in 2012. I’m sure I hated LeMaster back when I was a kid but he was on teams with such utter shit surrounding him I think he just kinda blended in for me.

24. djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Surprised to see that in his only full season as a Giant (1972), McDowell actually managed to go 10-8 for a rotten 69-86 club…

• alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 6:14 pm

While Gaylord Perry goes 24-16 1.92 ERA All-Star& Cy Young award winner in 1972!
      Yeah another trade gone bad for the Giants!
      Sudden Sam 12 pack McDowell only carried his reputation in his belly, by the time the Giants got him..

• djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Funny how Frank Duffy was involved in 2 of the worst deals ever.
        I’m sure you know the other one…

• sandy32koufax said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:56 pm

I remember his first start for SF, he got bombed.

25. djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 6:10 pm

From the neck down, Marcell Ozuna (FA after this season) looks exactly like Jim Ray Hart in the batter’s box.
    Giants should make a big play for this guy…

26. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Yes Loo, As the Giants took another one up the butt trading George Foster for Vern Gelistch? and Frank Duffy (Cant remember if (Ray Sadceki sp? was in that deal? But who cares he sucked too..

27. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Warriors can do better job of spacing vs. box and one zone D. Get your guys in the gaps—btw the 2 defenders on top and a wing player just lower than FT line and btw the 2 guys on one side of court, elbow and block.

• djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:13 pm

We gotta get Wille a telestrator…

• willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:19 pm

ball reversal from one side of floor to the other gets defenders moving and opens up shooting/driving lanes.
      And take care of the Ball! value every possession once you get it and make them play 20 seconds of defense.

28. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:13 pm

If the Raptors can’t beat dubs with Klay and KD out, then they are crap….

29. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:25 pm

couple dumb moves there, Livingston fouling V-V on the 3 and then Green dribbling too much stopping in the wrong place and losing the ball. arrgghh

30. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Quinn cook for Klay. Keereist…

31. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Still sloppy turnovers. Oh well. If they pull this off, it’ll be nutz.

32. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Got to say I’m not that disappointed that they lost. Take Leonard and Lowry off of the Raptors and we are up by 40.

33. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Didn’t see anyone really flash to the ball hard there on the inbounds. Iguodala with wild pass Curry with contested shot, game over. wonder what Kerr drew up, because his inbound plays are awesome. Often the inbounder is the dangerous guy cutting to hoop/getting a screen after passing in. Didn’t happen.

• unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:48 pm

Steph had a decent look but there was a lot of time to get a better look.

34. djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:47 pm

WTF already???

35. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:47 pm

These refs are fucking retarded.

36. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:48 pm

The Chris Webber TO you don’t have scenario,The Technical and the final daggar.

37. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:48 pm

Those missed FTs, 2 by Green and 2 separate ones by Cousins, came back to haunt them too.

• willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Iguodala, who did score 22 points, 1-5 from FT line.

38. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Yeah, and the turnovers down the stretch. 2nd chance points, a lot of sloppy play.

39. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Yeah time to move to San Francisco, just can’t win in O town anymore!

40. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Great heart by Dubs. Raptors barely win with KD out entire series, and Klay gets clubbed out of the last 20 minutes. Raptors title with monumental asterisk…

• Macdog said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Haha, they don’t give a fuck about that in Canada.

41. willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Van Vleet tonight hit more 3s than any Warrior guard and outscored Curry. Have to give them credit. Weird how tough it was for each team to win a home game. Who else could have beaten GS 3 times on their home court?

• unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:14 pm

With Klay and KD out? A few , , ,

• snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:16 pm

With Klay out, let alone KD, they can put multiple guys to mug Curry, and he can barely get a shot off…

42. djloo27 said, on June 13, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Adam Silver looks like some kind of Halloween decoration…

• alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:16 pm

Yeah he could easily work in a morgue..

43. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Wholesale bench clearing needed for next season.
    Gotta get additional two guys that can actually score…

• alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:18 pm

And grab rebounds! Way to many 2nd and 3rd chances will kill you..

• unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:28 pm

That shit more than anything annoys me. Well, that and turnovers. And missed FTs.

The pisser is, they make their free throws and knock off the turnovers, there’s a game 7.

Regardless of the 2nd chance points. Ahhhhh. Damn. Sucks that Klay went down.

• unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:25 pm

Livingston has to go. The Damians? Well, we’ll see. Iggy surprised me in these playoffs. Looney is fine. Cousins is gone. Jerebko and Cook are prolly gone as well. Bogut is likely gone. Evans is the Warriors hologram. McKinnie and Bell are on the bubble. One of them stays.

This team will be beaten down by not drafting well these last few years.

• gianthead said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:49 pm

I am predicting Boogie is back for one more year…

• unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:53 pm

No chance.

• willedav said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Draft projections are funny, but with all the guys that leave early these days, there are lot of good players within 2 rounds. Stanford’s KZ Okpala might go in first round. SD St. standout Jalen McDaniels projected mid 2nd. He kinda reminds me of a K D type, long limbed good leaper who can shoot over people and score off perimeter too. Supposed to be good drat for wing players.

44. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Van Vleet was a huge presence guarding Steph and pumping in the 3s.

45. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Time for Joe Lacob to pull another rabbit out of his hat and pitch hard for Anthony Davis!
    Sure Draymond Green is on speed dial right now to talk with him..

• gianthead said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Well we certainly dont have the trade chips to land him and him being a free agent the same time as Draymond likely precludes a realistic chance to sign him as a free agent…

46. gianthead said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Well that was a pisser…I say trade Curry:) My hot take is that I am praying soon idiot GM to get their hands on KFlD offers him a max deal saving out ass for next season. We then use that $31.5 million from KD on Jimmy Butler!!

• gianthead said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:46 pm

Too tired to type

47. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 9:49 pm

This is the last of the Finals for a while.
    That many games, eventually an injury or 4 is going to happen to you.
    Klay was on friggin fire when Green clubbed him.
    Raptors should have been up by 10 after Klay was lost…

48. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:17 pm

Ignore contracts and FA for a second.
    The guys I keep:
    KD, Curry, Klay, Iggy, Boogie, Dray, Looney. Nobody else….

49. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:27 pm

If KD doesn’t exercise his option, we’ll see. But I don’t see how he doesn’t. $32 mill to rehab? He’d possibly be ready around the 2020 playoffs if he sticks around. And everything goes well.

• snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:34 pm

Klay.
      Torn ACL.
      Wow….

50. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:35 pm

Klay.
    Torn ACL.
    Wow….

51. snarkk said, on June 13, 2019 at 10:53 pm

So, even if Dubs pull this one out, no way they could have won game 7 with Klay out, too.
    He’s now out for basically all of next season, too…

52. zumiee said, on June 13, 2019 at 11:06 pm

I missed the basketball game because I went to a minor league Single A game. I saw the Stockton Ports (A’s affiliate) defeat the Modesto Nuts (Mariners) 8-4. Always a fun night at the ballpark.

53. mrsprtdude said, on June 13, 2019 at 11:57 pm

Klay ACL Freaking unreal for 1 team to have 2 all stars have major out for the next year injuries on back to back nights! Can’t remember that happening in any sport before?