Flapalooza,Coalescing, Slowly

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 27, 2019

As we inch closer to The Storming of Oracle, I can’t help but be a little sad for Diggity who is missing his favorite Black Shoes pitching tonight. To me, those shoes don’t shine as brightly. I’m more worried about this Alex Young guy who is sharpening his triple A tools and preparing us for a trip to the woodshed.

Due to some, uh, *technology deficiencies* I still haven’t connected to everyone attending Flapalooza 8.0 (I guessed on this version, I’m counting some NY hook ups, 8.0 is probably close). Assuming Earthlink is revved back up we might confirm one more today. As far as WillieD goes, you will not get left behind, my man. No FLAPPER LEFT BEHIND!!!!! But I will need your email and I am praying it’s not earthlink :). There’s probably still enough time if you want to pen me a letter and overnight it with more info about when and where to meet on Friday.

1. gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:22 am

Thinking of Flapalooza…for those east coasters and others who did not grow up in Bay Area but still grew up or adopted Giants later on in life, did any if you experience the “joy” of watching the Giants at Candlestick where we had to literally wear wool trench coaches to June and July night games and blankets if handy or the brawl every half inning during Giant-Flodger games.

Any good stories from the non-Bay contingent?

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:23 am

Never saw a game in San Francisco.
      My biggest failure as a Giant fan…

• gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:03 am

What are your thoughts when we talk about the bitter cold in July games? Is it hard to fathom?

• gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:05 am

And maybe for the best? I could see Loo in some dustups with a-hole Flodger fans…

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 1:48 pm

GH: I’ve frozen at baseball games, but not in July. Blew off my family on Mother’s Day 2010 to see a shaky Tim at a ridiculously windy Citifield. Rowand somehow homered into the teeth of it to win the game IIRC…

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 1:50 pm

Coldest baseball game I was ever at was opening day at Yankee Stadium 1987. Froze my ass off with Rachel Robinson on 40 year Jackie-versary. That night Sugar Ray inexplicably retired Marvin Hagler….

2. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:30 am

wdblues122@yahoo. Sent you brief note earlier. Thanks for all you’ve done setting this up, you and SD both. If he is driving here all the way from where he lives to catch a game up here, that’s really impressive.
    Very brief take on nbc site re: why Bochy keeps batting Posey 3rd, very unconvincing.
    At this stage Vogt is clearly better hitter, though D is suspect. Seems to have trouble blocking the low breaking balls. Posey hasn’t been stellar defensively either lately.

3. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:51 am

The short window of Bochy winning 3 WS ensures he’s in. It’s an historic accomplishment that obscures and overshadows the rest of career, especially considering Giants history in SF. No one since Yanks has done anything like that. Roberts is already 0-2 in Series. Maddon has 1, Hinch 1 Cora 1. Let’s see any of them get as many as bochy.

Lincecum had too short of a highlight career, meteoric rise followed by epic fall. By 2012 lustre had started to wear off, and there aren’t enough good seasons nor signature WS wins.

4. sandog said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:11 am

Not gonna lie, when I penciled out the pitching matchups for this week and saw that we are going to miss Black Shoes Beede by one day tomorrow, that hurt. Anderson will be cool though too.

5. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:12 am

Loo the Durant overload here is unreal. One guy wrote yesterday that his situation (contract and argument with Green etc.) was a distraction, completely unfair to rest of West and Raptors. I do believe many wanted Curry and Thompson to win it all without him and show him up–this line did come up, we won without you before yada yada. I don’t think for how well he played here he was given proper due. I think couple reporters here tried to paint him into Barry Bonds corner, talented player/unlikeable person.

As to next move, GS can give him max extension. There are deep NY connections so maybe Nets are a destination. Clips would be interesting but if they have Leonard in mind he would help them immediately (unlike Durant who isn’t playing at all next year) and it just seems unlikely they’d go after both.

6. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:26 am

I sat in class in 6th grade at Ellis school in Sunnyvale watching willie Mac line out to Richardson to end ’62 series. I was sure Giants would get another shot which never happened. All the great players they had then that never won a WS for SF.

So who has won one that played for SF after they got traded?

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:37 am

first name that came to me was Dan Gladden.

7. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:29 am

Cepeda and Foster obvious. who else?

• willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:34 am

Maddox in ’80 with Phils. Mark Davis was on that team briefly.
      Bill Madlock argghh.

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:40 am

Gary Thomasson ’78 Yanks…

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:50 am

Mike Aldrete & Charlie Hayes for ’96 Yanks…

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:54 am

Derrell Thomas ’81 Dodgers. I could do this all day long but I gotta go.
        Have a pleasant day…

• unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:49 am

I keep thinking Rob Deer but I don’t think so. Danny Gladden maybe? One of them random outfielders.

• gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:07 am

Were they traded? Was Darrell Evans traded? Chili Davis another…

• willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 9:04 am

Nunez and heath Hembree with Red Sox. No one remembers stuff like Loo!

8. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:39 am

It’s easy to miss the blather when you don’t watch ESPN regularly or listen to sports talk radio. I do listen to the game sometimes, but not to the point of distraction. The only story that has any legs is the story that Durant was told he was not risking further injury by playing. I thought t was pretty ludicrous when Kerr said that. If so, I’d sue the team doctors and get the fuck out of Dodge.

The Warriors are pretty fucked for next season. They should give Steph a mystery injury where he sits all next season and then draft Maryland’s Jalen Smith.

Thompson’s absence will hurt them big time. Gonna be a run and gun show with Steph and Draymond.

9. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2019 at 9:53 am

Gotta be Darrell Evans in 84, remembered they started out of the gate going 35-5 and never looked back..

10. Macdog said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:08 am

Bill Mueller ’03 Red Sox.

• gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:17 am

2004 right?

• Macdog said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:18 am

Correct, my bad.

11. gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:11 am

Re: KD. There was a comment somewhere on sports talk land (maybe Bill Simmons’ podcast), where they speculated KD suffered a partial torn Achilles and not the calf tear. I think a lot of us can buy that. They went to KD and said you have to surgery on your Achilles regardless so if you go out there and play and it does rupture it had to be surgically repaired anyway. Some deep conspiracy shit but I think it is plausible…

• gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:17 am

My preference is for KD to sign elsewhere since he may not be 100% healthy until 2021 and missing a year and a half but it seems to make sense the Dubs sign him to a 5 year max and then gets traded so he gets taken care of and we are then out of a wasted year next year. Could we get a future first round pick for KD in a sign and trade?

Since he will be injured, he could even conceivably be there for the opening of the new Warriors Chase center in and get one final thank you from Dub Nation. I still would then want Jimmy Butler and would likely take $190 million sign and trade as well. Is $190 then the max for Klay as well. They should go to Klay, Butler and Dray and say we will give you all 5 year $175 mill deals…

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2019 at 10:39 am

signing KD to a max deal would be catastrophic to the franchise. He’s only going to be worse from here on out. They need to start over with something fresh and exciting not handing over a quarter billion dollars to some dude who’s best days are behind him.

• gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 1:50 pm

Totally agree. I think the max deal he likely gets is in a sign and trade. Can we get a future first-rounder back in such a deal or say c’est lavie and appreciate we dont have to throw $31.5 mill down the drain. My back up wish if Jimmy Butler is not gettable is Bogdanovich from Indiana as a free agent. I think he actually made $20 mill last year but will he take something like $15 mill a year on average for 3 years? He plays the 2 while Klay rehabs and then either slides to the 3 or 6-man while Iggy plays the 3…

12. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 11:52 am

Klay’s max is $180 mill I think. KD ain’t coming back.

I thought so before the season started. Nothing has changed my mind.

13. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Sando hit #10 for SF. On pace with current .900 OPS for 2 best power seasons of 25 and 23 bombs. All 10 HRs from left side and batting RH he’s only at .233. Awesome as PH…what do you think happens? This is final season Sox are still paying him and he’d be FA 2020. Would he bring anything back?

14. Macdog said, on June 27, 2019 at 1:34 pm

No matter how bad it’s going, be thankful we’re not Mets fans.

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Sad for the young ones, but ’69 & 86 should last anyone a lifetime…

15. djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Bochy’s experimentation with LSD continues:

1. Donovan Solano (R) 2B
    2. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    3. Tyler Austin (R) LF
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    6. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF
    9. Tyler Beede (R) P

• Macdog said, on June 27, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Turn on, tune in, drop the ball.

16. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Posey is batting worse than 3rd string catchers. He should hit out of this 3.5 year slump any day now . . .

17. djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Bring him back…

18. djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Who can name the Giants 3rd (or 4th?) string catcher who actually homered in the 1989 WS?
    No cheating!

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2019 at 5:05 pm

i couldn’t do it so I looked it up. Man, some great great names on that team.

• gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Has to be Kennedy….

19. Flavor said, on June 27, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Hunter Pence is an all star. Given how bad he was the last few years that is absolutely astounding. Good for him.

• unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:15 pm

My only problem with Hunter is why did he languish in shit-town all last year and not work on his swing?

He got his $36 mill and sucked hard. Now he’s a fricking all star? Forgive me for not being excited.

• gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Think he was still hurt…

20. Flavor said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:05 pm

“it was a strong no hitter, he struck out 2 and walked none.” This was a pretty dumb comment, eh?

21. Flavor said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:23 pm

I saw Danny Ozark in that video, decided to look him up to see if he was still alive. Nay, he died in 2009. But I was surprised to see he managed us for part of one season.Anyone have any recollection of this????

22. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Vaguely. Sounds like when Frank Robinson got canned and he was the interim if it was part of a season.

23. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:31 pm

Was it Manwaring? I know Brenly was on that team.

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:34 pm

Not Brenly, but same initials.
      Maybe our first hologram…

24. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:40 pm

Bill Bathe??

• Macdog said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:44 pm

I think that’s it, good job!

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2019 at 6:47 pm

You got it!

25. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:06 pm

Nice play Beede for the DP way to protect the family jewels!

26. gianthead said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:24 pm

I’m happy for Hunter and shocked he will start the all-star game…

27. Macdog said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Belted.

28. Bozo said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Gone.

29. snarkk said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:51 pm

When Ozark managed SF, I think Bob Lillis was the pitching coach. That’s from the gray matter disk drive, not baseball ref, so I could be off…

30. snarkk said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Friggin Beede has a bad habit of giving up ties or leads really quickly. 5th innings are where he usually starts getting into trouble and walking people. Though this home plate ump tonight is a jackass. Come on, Beede, bear down man and power through…

31. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:57 pm

belt had been 4 for 42 prior to the bomb. Hitting .200 at home. OPS 150 points higher on road where he has 7 of 10 bombs and 11 or 14 doubles.

32. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Bill Bathe? No recollection of him.

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Crawford eating some Wheaties lately?…

33. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 7:59 pm

I remember Terry Kennedy but not Bathe.

34. snarkk said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Craw eating some Wheaties lately?…

35. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:20 pm

boch with quick hook there and Moronta dominates and pitches out of trouble.

36. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Yeah nice work by Moronta there.Gotta figure he will be the closer once they trade Smith..

37. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:25 pm

If I’m sitting near the whistler, i choke him the fuck out.

• Bozo said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:36 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

38. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:26 pm

6 ball walk there.

39. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Oh boy. Hoping for tha k.

40. willedav said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Had Dick moved the runners over Posey fly ball would have tied game up. arrggh

41. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Austin not getting the runners over is yet another fail. No power and no fundamentals = many losses.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

42. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:43 pm

This ump SUCKS BALLS behind the plate!

43. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:43 pm

Got junk?

44. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Man that pitch was right down Broadway!
    But with this ump you have to put it on a tee,, he doesn’t give shit to pitchers..

45. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2019 at 9:11 pm

If nothing else Adam Jones defensive metrics took a huge jump up! 2 outstanding catches tonight..

• zumiee said, on June 27, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Yes, the WAR nerds need to take note!

46. Macdog said, on June 27, 2019 at 9:28 pm

Crapalooza before the Flapalooza.

47. mrsprtdude said, on June 27, 2019 at 11:20 pm

Hunter Pence is the All star starter at DH. UNREAL. Best comeback season ever?