The Game Must Go On

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 10, 2019

When you *stare at a pool up above* for too long one of 2 things can happen: 1) you can let the weight of the failure consume you. Paralyzed by this, you realize your game is doomed and your life’s work effectively ends. Or, 2) you pull yourself up by your boot straps and find a way to fix the problem.

Luckily, my main man Loo is a #2 guy.

Screenshot 2019-07-10 at 6.38.28 AM

With that problem now solved what else do we need to knock out of the park today? Because that home run was a walk off, well done Loo. Honestly, when this is all over and we’re toasting the greatest game to have ever been played on a blog, I think we’ll have finally found something to replace The Masterpiece over here to the right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 6:52 am

A question, tho: I didn’t stare at the pool for very long, that shit is like the sun and my mammy taught me not to look too long at that bad boy. But are there other contestants besides myself and Dirt who entered the exact same 3? Because that could possibly guarantee at least one tie right there, am I right? Are there others?

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 7:45 am

Thanks, Flavor, glad you like the renovation. SanDog, Xoot, Zum and yourself were very helpful.
      And don’t think you’re gonna sneak the Manfred Mann reference past too many of the sharpies around here.

After a little more staring, I believe you’re right that only you and Dirt have 3 identical picks. Maybe for a second tiebreaker just you and Dirt either pick one more guy and a destination or choose a second destination for Watson. Or we can do what I think you said the other day. Dirt gets the gift card and you get the secret prize. Whatever you think is best.

I’m hoping Smith goes fast and first. It would keep everyone alive and create more suspense when the Bum rumors really start to fly…

2. willedav said, on July 10, 2019 at 7:26 am

Arthur Ashe b-day today, noted during tennis I was watching in the gym this morning. Class guy they were showing highlights of him vs. Connors. They have bio out on Ashe but it’s 700 pages.
    Also saw Selig is telling his story, titled “For Love of the Game” or some such. cbs site had excerpts where he admits watching bonds quest to break Aaron’s HR record was awful and Bonds not likable. I’m still convinced he strong armed the other GMs, especially AL ones where he could have DHed, to refuse to offer Bonds a contract after he left Giants.

3. zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:03 am

Rip Torn portrayed Artie the producer on The Larry Sanders Show, a show I consider one of the best TV shows of all time, a great mixture of laugh-outloud comedy and poignant drama. Artie is a classic character, gruff and crusty, with a soft heart buried in there. Ultimately, he’s the one who will speak truth to Larry, at the risk of their friendship sometimes. Artie’s favorite drink was a “salty dog,” an awful combination of vodka and salt that he was often trying to foist on other people.
    Garry Shandling, who portrayed Larry, has passed away, too.
    Some of the many guests on the fictional talk show have passed, too. Farrah Fawcett was a guest.
    A brilliant show which showed life behind the scenes of a late night talk show, and as much as anything was about what it’s like interacting with your coworkers at your workplace. The banality and the drama, and moments of humor and sometimes bonding.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:12 am

A short clip of Artie and Larry arguing.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:22 am

Off the top of my head, other guests on the show who have since passed away: Peter Falk, Robin Williams, and Tom Petty.

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:38 am

i never saw this show. Some funny stuff here.

4. willedav said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:14 am

OK every AS game where a Giants pitcher gives up a bomb inevitably you see Atlee Hammaker’s name come up and Jenkins does it in today’s column. flav I think you asked me at the game what I thought of him and I said I wasn’t a big fan. He got off to great start he could never duplicate and just became mediocre to me, couldn’t stay healthy and fell out of rotation. Medical staffs in those days often weren’t great help to pitchers.

I have never seen a satisfactory explanation though for why he missed the entire 1986 season. The official word at the time from Giants was no more than “mysterious virus.” Um, that did lead to speculations from me and buddies at the time, completely unfounded as they were.

5. zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:27 am

I saw on Facebook somebody detailing the Dodgers’ abysmal night. Dodger pitchers gave up two runs, and Kershaw took the loss.
    And Bellinger 0-2, 2 Ks and Muncy 0-2, 1K.

6. snarkk said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:52 am

I didn’t see a second of the AS game or any highlights. When I was a kid, I wouldn’t miss it…

• sandog said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:06 am

Same here.

7. unca_chuck said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:15 am

Saw someone on the NL hit a home run.

R.I.P. Rip.

If you haven’t seen this, it’s a scene from a pseudo-quasi-documentary that Normal Mailer did. Some weird ass film called Maidstone about a filmmaker running for president. Saw it at some midnight movie thing years and years ago.

And yes, Rip connects with a hammer to Mailer’s head to start this fight. Don’t remember much about the movie but for this fight. And yeah, the fight is real.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:25 am

As Johnny Carson would say: “That’s some weird wacky stuff.”

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:46 am

lol, and then they both try to trick each other into thinking it’s over and both immediately re-engage. Hilarious.

8. sandog said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:25 am

10 year anniversary of Sanchez no hitter.
    I almost went to that game, but decided to head south and took kids to Fresno Grizzly game instead. I remember E Velez was in the line up in Fresburg.

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:52 am

Trivia:

Who remembers the first name of Sanchez’ dad who was visiting and supposedly attending his first game in person?

Semi hint: I don’t remember it either, but I am positive the first letter is ‘G’…

• gianthead said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:59 am

Gonzalo maybe? His father pops right into my head as well when I think of that moment…

• gianthead said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:58 am

I mark that moment as the start of the Giants rebirth…was very emotional watching that live and with Sanchez’ father there made it extra teary..

9. zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:31 am

The ‘60s in general were a bad decade for movies. The movie industry was changing, the old studio system and old guard was being challenged, and a lot experimental stuff was happening, and a lot of it wasn’t good. By the early ‘70s, Coppola, Scorcese, and others were showing a way forward.

10. gianthead said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:53 am

Loo is a #2 guy is certainly a “load”ed phrase…

11. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 10:10 am

10 years since the Dirty Sanchez no no? Wow time is flying. I don’t remember his dad’s name either but i do remember it was a very showy name like a name you’d see a carnival magician have or some shit. Gustavo? “And now the great Gustavo will make this bird appear from the fog!” –some shit like that
    Gustavo would also be a sweet name for a cobbler. “I’m gettin’ my shoe fixed. Dropped it off with Gustavo this morning..”

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:47 am

Now that I know what it is I’m leaning to carnival magician.
      Gustavo definitely a cobbler – or a jockey (ask Canonero II)…

12. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 10:14 am

there is so much gold in this video. “women in general” might be my favorite moment tho

• unca_chuck said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:05 pm

I love how he rolls over like a bitch when the shit gets real.

13. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:16 am

One more hint on Sanchez’ dad:

You guys are on the right track and I was wrong – it begins with an ‘S’ not a ‘G’ although the first syllable of his name ends in a ‘g’ and his name does end in an ‘o’.

It’s definitely the All-Star break here…

• gianthead said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:55 pm

That has now stupefied me…

• gianthead said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Sygfried???? 😎😆🤣

14. zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:35 am

I’ve told this story here before: like Dawg, I was also at a minor league game that night, Single A, though, and I had no idea Sanchez had a perfect game going because the ballpark people didn’t want to jinx Sanchez so they never said anything about the SF Giants game like they usually do on the scoreboard. My wife may have had a smart phone in those days, and I didn’t, so I wasn’t even thinking about the Giants until the minor league game was over and we were in the car going home and we turned the radio on. Just about the first thing we heard was Miller saying Sanchez had a perfect game going. Eventually Uribe made the tough error, but, of course, the no hitter was completed. I watched a replay of the game on TV until late into the night.

15. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:42 am

Santiago? Eh, can’t be that. What is this, amateur hour down at the cobbler shop? I’m not sending my shoes to someone named Santiago….

16. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:45 am

wait the first syllable ends with a g? Then it’s definitely not Santiago. Good, that was a terrible guess that I’ll probably never live down.

17. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:46 am

Sigmondo?

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:47 am

fuck it that’s not even a name, I’m gonna go for a long drive, try to clear my head, will start over with this in a couple hours.

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:51 am

You’re awful close. I hate to think what you’re not doing at work while you’re trying to figure this out.
        Want the answer?

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:54 am

no goddammit! And if it isn’t already painfully clear I’m not working this week.

18. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:55 am

I want to see some other guesses before the actual name is revealed. Same rules as always, if I find out you cheated during one of Loo’s trivia games you are banned like Denny. For life.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:59 am

Not going to give up the name of Sanchez’s pops but Baggs posted a great write up today regarding the no-no. Turns out our boy is still pitching in Mexico.

Here’s a quote from the article:

“I was too young when I got to the big leagues, Sánchez said. “I didn’t know nothing. I came from a family, we had nothing. We’re from the farm. We’re poor. Get to the big leagues, get your money and life was so easy. I was living in heaven. Like, how did all this happen? How did I get here, having all this money, having this life? Having people know who I am? From where I come from?

“I think these 10 years are a blessing. I don’t change these 10 years for nothing, even my bad times. If everything was perfect, I wouldn’t know how to handle the bad times. I had to go through all of it to become the person I am now — going back to play baseball and have fun again.”

¡Viva Dirty Sanchez!

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:05 pm

I used to always say Dirrrrty looked completely hungover when he pitched and as his production faded that used to enrage Twinfan that I had to audacity to suggest such a thing. Reading between the lines here, maybe I was right?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:21 pm

My brother is good friends with a guy who was somehow connected to either Torres or Sanchez who were pretty good buddies if I remember correctly. Anyway – take it as you will but he apparently was out drinking with Sanchez and Torres quite a bit and reports that Sanchez was definitely a bad fish.

• Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:32 pm

I fucking knew it! Goddamn what I wouldn’t give to bring twin back from the dead to hear that

• gianthead said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Bad fish how???

20. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Sigrundo!

21. unca_chuck said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Sigmundo? Can’t be Sigfried

22. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Sigrundo Sanchez is a top notch guess and one of the finest Mexican names I’ve ever heard. Hit me with the victory Loo. I am ready.

23. zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:22 pm

TF was extremely protective of the Latin players. Except Pagan. He didn’t like Pagan because he was given Torres’ spot; and of course, he loved Torres like a son. Pity the Flapper that said something negative about Torres.

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Spot on, Zum.
      Can’t remember where Twin stood on Feliz…

24. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Btw Dirt Reno 7/27–7/31 beers on me if I see u

25. gianthead said, on July 10, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Forgot about the O so will revise to Sygfriedo!!

26. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Segundo. Ooo that’s a town in California, maybe he’s named after it, this could BE HUGE

27. alleykat69 said, on July 10, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Yeah I can still picture Dirrty’s Dad face with they would pan in on him..BF is close with Sengendo are whatever??, I think it was more like Signfredo??

28. alleykat69 said, on July 10, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Fuck it that don’t sound right either!!Maybe
    Sigfredo??

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 10, 2019 at 1:35 pm

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 10, 2019 at 1:35 pm

Caption: A team autographed photo depicting the last pitch of Sánchez’s no-hitter hangs on the wall in the home of friend and former Giants security guard Miguel Menjivar

GH, Bad fish is a term for someone who likes to drink.

• gianthead said, on July 11, 2019 at 10:44 am

Mmmm. first Inever heard that term…so we all qualify!!!

30. Flavor said, on July 10, 2019 at 3:44 pm

Gustavo, Santiago, Sigmondo, Sigrundo, and Segundo. Those were my best shots, I have no regrets…..

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 3:51 pm

I find “Sigrundo” especially hysterical.
      I wonder if any exist…

31. wilcojoe said, on July 10, 2019 at 6:32 pm

I can’t believe the bagel boss video isn’t getting more love. Flav, you gotta post the follow up video.

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 7:51 pm

These videos won’t play on my computer or tablet, so I never really know what I missed…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:09 pm

agree, it’s pretty good.

32. djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 6:41 pm

Jim Bouton died…
    Before he hurt his arm, he had a couple of years when he could really bring it.
    I think he was going to start Game 7 in 1962 but got rained out…

33. unca_chuck said, on July 10, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Sheeeeiitt, I missed the clue that it ended in O. I had Sigfried.

Close don’t count.

Lost another friend yesterday. 53. He was from days long gone. The Bit of England days. Can’t coiunt how many times we stopped there after Giants and Niner games

A quick shot of Russell’s Reserve for Harold. Cheers, old friend . . .

• djloo27 said, on July 10, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Sorry about your buddy, Chuck.
      I stopped googling old friends, classmates, co-workers, etc.
      Too many obituaries pop up…

• snarkk said, on July 10, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Russel’s Reserve. Dig it…

34. unca_chuck said, on July 10, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Sorry, I have to play it . . . A great Sublime song. I know, an oxymoron.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 10, 2019 at 8:10 pm

That’s exactly my reference point. Good pull.

35. unca_chuck said, on July 10, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Just saw the replay of the last out of the Sanchez no-no. El Presidente caught that? No memory of that part of it

That’s a great bar bet.

36. zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 9:25 pm

Bouton was one of the most interesting people to ever play pro baseball.
    “Ball 4” is one of the best baseball books ever written. It’s too bad it’s getting kind of forgotten. He blew the lid off of the mythologizing of athletes.

37. sandog said, on July 10, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Making Memories with SanDawg…..
    Got up and took Buster for a long walk down at Cabrillo Beach, out on the fishing pier even.
    Went for breakfast at Pacific Diner, which is apparently a San Pedro institution. Had a sausage patty and eggs dish. Solid, but nothing to go crazy about. With coffee and tip came to $20. Twenty bucks doesn’t go as far as it used to in a breakfast joint–especially one on the pricier side, like this place.
    Then went to Westchester Golf Course and tested the back in the short game area. Felt decent so I went ahead and played–unique course, par 68. Got matched up with 3 good dudes, including a guy named Marcel, who seemed to be amused by me calling him Marcel Ozuna at one point. He liked my Giants hat too. Swing was pretty tentative and putting a tee in the ground was a CHORE. Only had 2 pars all day. Had fun though.
    Drove back all the way on PCH, which was cool.
    Came back and gave Buster another walk (My Airbnb host walks him too) and then headed over to the Long Beach Aquarium to meet an old friend and his wife. Aquarium was hosting a private event so we couldnt get in, so we went and had appetizers and drinks on the Queen Mary instead. I had never visited it before, but have always been fascinated with it after putting together a model of it as a kid.
    I was pretty sloppy on the model building as a youngster. Heavy handed with the glue and not good about putting on all the tiny detail pieces and decals. And my occasional forays into painting were a total mess.
    One last walk around the block for Buster and now some web surfing. Bummed about Bouton passing. I love that book and have an autographed copy. MapDawg (my 21 year old son) is coming in tomorrow and we’re having dinner with Matt (the oldest) tomorrow night.

38. zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 10:33 pm

Great stuff; thanks for sharing!
    My step-dad was sent to Europe during WWII aboard the Queen Mary. The ship was packed with soldiers.
    50+ years after that, I spent a weekend in the Queen Mary (now moored and turned into a hotel) at a….wait for it….science fiction convention! Lots of authors there. It was great. Harlan Ellison, Fred Pohl, Kim Stanley Robinson, Connie Willis, and many others.
    Is the dome still next door, where the Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose used to be? Later the dome was used to house a Gotham City set for one of the Batman movies.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2019 at 10:40 pm

This photo shows the dome, but I don’t know how old the photo is.

39. mrsprtdude said, on July 10, 2019 at 11:15 pm

Good stuff Pete! Sorry we couldn’t hit the links. Next time!

40. willedav said, on July 11, 2019 at 8:54 am

@SD this should be regular summertime feature ala Blade’s Around the World blog—On the Road again with SanDawg. Hope you can recover from all the activity (golf etc.). $20 for breakfast is bit much. If you are ever up here again highly recommend Los Gatos Café few blocks away from where I work though NOT on weekends when it is crowded all morning with waiting lines onto the street.
    So what else is planned before school starts again which around here is mid August?

Enjoyable read, hope rest of summer goes smoothly.

41. willedav said, on July 11, 2019 at 9:30 am

You guys see the experiment in Atlantic league with home plate ump receiving digital call of balls/strikes sent from Doppler like system to his cell phone which he then relays as the call? Interesting start to whole dynamic. One guy on Yahoo story of this said 20% of ball strike calls are inaccurate. True?

• Macdog said, on July 11, 2019 at 10:05 am

Yeah, saw a story on that in the Washington Post. Buried in that story was another rule change the Atlantic League will try out:

“In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.”

• willedav said, on July 11, 2019 at 10:45 am

yeah saw another version of that story that actually mentioned Billy Hamilton, about “stealing first base.”

42. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2019 at 9:42 am

They use Doppler to forecast weather and they suck at it.
    I would say much more than 20% of B/S calls are wrong based on the rule book.

43. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 10:27 am

A Sabean trade that is now looking really horrible is the 2014 trade of pitcher Luis Castillo for Casey McGehee.
    Castillo made this year’s NL All Star team and is a dominant starting pitcher.

• gianthead said, on July 11, 2019 at 10:50 am

Wow dont even remember who we sent in that deal….now crying😥😭😤

• Macdog said, on July 11, 2019 at 10:58 am

Damn, also did not know Castillo was originally signed by the Giants. Yeah, what a horrific trade. The only saving grace is that Giants weren’t the only ones to deal him, he’s been traded by the Marlins — twice — and the Pads.

44. gianthead said, on July 11, 2019 at 10:58 am

Loo, you mean I was on the right path with Sygfriedo but just misspelled the frickin name???

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2019 at 11:39 am

Yes G-Head.
      Your answer was elegant, however ultimately incorrect…

45. Macdog said, on July 11, 2019 at 11:01 am

Nice write-up of Jim Bouton on MLB.com. Mentions his last attempt at a comeback in 1978 with the Braves, and his only win, the last of his career, came against the Giants. Ha, I remember that one.

46. alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2019 at 11:24 am

Jim Bouton’s career even took him to an independent team in Portland called the Portland Mavericks.A former actor Bing Russell bought the fledgling team and turned them into a competitive renegade team.His better known son,Kirk Russell played on the team as well, ( laughs about his dad’s acting career,:He must of been killed 126 times in westerns)Bouton said it was some of the best fun he had in baseball ⚾️..
    Theirs a movie about these crazy team on Netflix called “Battered Bastards of Baseball” I highly recommend it

47. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 11:37 am

Bing Russell was in a shitload of things I’ve seen but I can’t recall him in any of them. Including the Magnificent 7.

Rio Bravo
    Cowboy killed in saloon (uncredited)

He has more uncredited deaths than Paul McCartney

• alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2019 at 12:27 pm

He was a Sheriff in Bonanza for awhile, probably killed.He was also in “Streets of San Francisco” dug that show, played a detective, don’t think they killed him? Lots of westerns,Big Valley,The Virginian,Wanted Dead are Alive,Lawman, lots of movies,
      killed in many lol 😂 Bascially a 2nd string character but made a nice career out of it.
      His 1st love was always baseball, think he was a batboy,hung around a lot of ball players.Then got this opportunity to own a baseball team, and turned a bunch of misfits, tryouts, into a competitive bunch in the Northwest in the mid 70’s .A ball, winning their league to the chagrin of Major League Baseball who couldn’t stand him, and when playoffs started other teams made sure to keep are add more talented players to make sure they beat them..

48. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Now that the 2nd half is about to start, the thing that pisses me off about this season, is if we had gotten Adam Jones, what would his FWAR be?

If he wins us 5 games over the course of the early shit beginning and the 7 game losing streak, we’d be 45-43.

ONE GAME out of the WC race. The outfield did a collective nothing the first month of the season. He would have won us some games.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 12:21 pm

“He would have won us some games.”
      Fair enough, but WAR also factors in games the player helped lose.

49. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Jones’ WAR is currently 0.1.
    Mike Trout’s is 5.9.
    You’re expecting Jones to have been close to Trout’s impact in the first half.

• unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 1:37 pm

No I’m not. I’m comparing Joe and Reed to me and you out there. The comparison is us to Jones. Trout has nothing to do with this.

We would have been nearly identical to their output both offensively and defensively. Do you think Jones would do better than us? Because that is the apt comparison.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 2:07 pm

WAR compares Jones (and everyone else) to a replacement player like someone from the Bowker gang.

50. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Craw has gotten his WAR up to 0.0, lulz.
    People are picking up on Loo’s concern about his physique. Brian Murphy of KNBR recently said “Crawford has a dad body.”

• alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Where does that put Panda&Moronta’s bodies?
      Full blown pregnancy mode?

51. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Current infield WARs:
    Posey 0.1
    Belt 0.6
    Panik -0.4, lulz
    Longoria 1.6 !! 🙂

52. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Current outfield WARs:
    Pillar 0.5
    Dick 0.5
    Lil Yaz 0.5
    Slater 0.4
    Austin 0.4

53. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 1:34 pm

I’m talking FWAR, not the bullshit WAR stat. The thing is, we got -4.0 from Connor Joe (from kokomo) and -5.0 from Michael Reed.

Fucking dead bodies in LF and CF in those first 20 games would have done about the same as Joe / Reed. You are telling me that Jones couldn’t have gotten a few meaningful hits in those games?

Side note: Joe Reed was a shitty backup QB for the 49ers in the mid 70s. The wilderness years for them.

54. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 1:41 pm

If WAR can’t figure out that Kokomo and the singing quarterback are horrible players, like – 3.0, then the stat is flawed.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 2:09 pm

At the game we were at, Jones was 0-5. The bad games count, too.

• unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Nope. Sorry. It doesn’t work that way,. You can’t cherry-pick the bad games and compare them to the nothing provided by Joe / Reed. If you want to play it out that way, let’s project Michael Reed’s numbers.

Reed would be 0-275 with 250 k’s. Kokomo would be 20-300 with 100 k’s.

Jones’ numbers prolly wouldn’t be the same here but they would be light years better than what we got from J/R.

THAT is the comparison. Not the abstract that WAR is.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 4:24 pm

“Reed would be 0-275 with 250 k’s. Kokomo would be 20-300 with 100 k’s.”

That’s a ridiculous statement, obviously.

55. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Connor Joe had 16 plate appearances for the Giants. An almost negligible impact either way.
    By the way, he has a .940 OPS in AAA right now, which doesn’t necessarily mean anything, but does show why Zaidi thought it was worth giving him a try.

• unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 3:01 pm

The point here being is that the outfield was a huge liability that Farhan tried to fix with shit and shinola. It didn’t work early on, and it led to the jimmy-jacking of the roster for a couple months.

You are honestly telling me that the difference between Joe and Jones is negligible?

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 4:10 pm

Joe’s 16 plate appearances are almost negligible.

56. alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2019 at 2:32 pm

What is with the freakin Dogpile??
    Connor Joe from Kokomo bats.067 yes that’s .067 couldn’t hit off of a tee with us 1-16.. He goes back to the steamy pile of the Dodgers, and now is hitting ..290 10 bombs,15 doubles 37 Ribs all in 257 AB’s!!

• unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 2:57 pm

He’s the Mac Williamson of the Dodgers is all that is.

57. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Chuck, I’m not saying we can’t blame the GM if something goes wrong. The buck does stop with the GM, that’s part of the job.
    But hammering a GM because they didn’t pick up a player in the off-season that now has a 0.1 WAR at the All Star break doesn’t seem reasonable, IMO, regardless of WAR’s limitations. Jones currently has an OPS in the .750s and an OPS+ of 92 which are both meh numbers.

58. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Joe and Reed had a combined 24 plate appearances. I guess some fans can hammer Zaidi for giving them a try.
    I look at it like Zaidi was hired to think outside the box the Giants usually think in. I expect to scratch my head at some of his moves, but I know he’s committed to getting the team back into being a contender eventually. I’m willing to go along for the ride, based on what he helped the Dodgers organization get built into.
    Although I really don’t favor any trades with the Dodgers.

59. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 5:39 pm

I gotta give MLB credit for putting a game on Thursday after the AS break, after not doing so for a few years. One game is better than nothing. All the teams used to resume on the Thursday. I know the players like the extra day off, but sheesh, the sport takes almost a week off in the middle of the season.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 5:46 pm

It’s on ESPN.

60. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Looks like a Westbrook for Chris Paul trade is happening. That’s pretty wild.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Paul + 2 first round picks.

61. alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2019 at 7:34 pm

So now Westbrook is back with Harden again??
    Lol, like that worked out well the last time!

• willedav said, on July 11, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Depends on how many basketballs they play with.

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2019 at 8:14 pm

That looks like a disaster in waiting…

62. willedav said, on July 11, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Mac thx for the box on Bouton’s W. A Rowland Office sighting, along with Murph at 1b Jerry Royster Terry Whitfield and Larry Herndon. Day before Giants lost in 12 and Cito Gaston had PH rbi for Braves.

• Macdog said, on July 11, 2019 at 7:57 pm

And the next game, Tom Seaver threw a 2-hit W for the Reds.

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Never seemed right, Seaver with Reds.
      I think he and Nolan Ryan were two of the best users of leg drive ever by pitchers. Timmy wasn’t far behind, he just didn’t have the body size to sustain it for a long time…

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2019 at 8:28 pm

What makes you think that?

• Macdog said, on July 11, 2019 at 8:41 pm

Even weirder was watching Seaver get his 300th win while pitching for the White Sox.

63. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2019 at 8:43 pm

And RJ getting his 300th as a Jint in front of about 2,000 people in DC I think.

64. alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Mets really screwed up with a legend like Tom Seaver, trading him for a bunch of stiffs after all the great accomplishments he supplied for them, and now their finally getting around to honor that amazing 69 team this summer, and building a statue for Tom, who won’t even be their for the unveiling due to his advanced demitia.Shame on you Mets, this statue should of been errected years ago when he could of saviored the moment with the rest of his former teammates..

65. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 9:04 pm

I vaguely remember Seaver as a broadcaster, too.

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2019 at 9:14 pm

He was for the Yanks.
      As a broadcaster he was pretty non-descript and never really embraced by Yankee fans…

66. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 9:54 pm

Didn’t Seaver do games of the week? Or am I misremembering this?

• Macdog said, on July 12, 2019 at 7:50 am

According to Wiki: After retirement as a player, Seaver became a television color commentator, working variously for the Mets, the Yankees, and with Vin Scully in 1989 for NBC. Seaver replaced Joe Garagiola as NBC’s lead baseball color commentator, which led to him calling the 1989 All-Star Game and National League Championship Series. Seaver’s TV experience dates back to his playing career, when he was invited to serve as a World Series analyst for ABC in 1977 and for NBC in 1978, 1980, and 1982. Also while an active player, Seaver called the 1981 National League Division Series between Montreal and Philadelphia and that years’s National League Championship Series alongside Dick Enberg for NBC.

• djloo27 said, on July 12, 2019 at 7:50 am

You’re right, Chuck, he replaced Garagiola. (Looked it up).
      Also several years with the Mets that I completely spaced.
      And a bunch of WS and ASG gsmes, too…

67. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Zumie, Last post on this. All the rest of the OFers did little the first month. It wasn’t just Kokomo and Reed. They are just the poster boys for the prayer that was Farhan’s start Jones would have helped. A lot.

a) With the thrash around taking 2 months to find guys who are dumpster dives and are bench players on any other team.

b) Hitting much better.

And if my projections about Joe and Reed are ridiculous, so is you pointing to Jones’ 0-5 that game a couple Fridays ago. Jones’ numbers right now would put him first in home runs and 2nd in RBIs on our team right now. Jones projects to something around 22 HRs and 80 RBIs. Tell me that means nothing to this team.

Regardless of how the numbers change if Jones plays here, Joe, Reed, Parra, Gerber, Atherr, Mac the Oaf, and Slater give you the same? No way on God’s green earth.

I think 5 wins is a solid estimate of the difference he would have provided.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 11:09 pm

Jones is a 5 win player at the All Star break. Wow, he’s in the MVP hunt.
      Here’s a question for you: if you could have Jones in a trade right now, which starting spot do you want him to take?

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2019 at 12:53 am

On the Giants, he’s their best hitter.

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2019 at 12:54 am

The point is, we could have had him for cheap.

68. zumiee said, on July 11, 2019 at 11:13 pm

WAR has Christian Yelich as a 4.9 win player at the All Star break. Bellinger at 6.6.

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2019 at 12:55 am

So?

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2019 at 7:12 am

You think Jones had a better first half than Yelich, and almost as good as Bellinger.

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2019 at 9:32 am

No I don’t.

69. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2019 at 12:52 am

Slater

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2019 at 7:18 am

So you want Jones as the Giants starting right fielder right now instead of the Yaz/Slater platoon.
      I wouldn’t take that trade right now, but that’s just my opinion.
      Any other Flappers wish for that trade right now?

70. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2019 at 12:53 am

None of those guys matter. Jones here as opposed to the holograms matter.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2019 at 7:19 am

If Jones was signed before the season, then he’d be starting right now taking a spot.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2019 at 7:24 am

Unless you’d want Jones platooning with Yaz right now, but I’m guessing that’s not what you meant.

71. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2019 at 8:47 am

Taking a spot from Slater/Yaz? Really? None of them are any kind of long term answer.