Appreciating What We Have

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 14, 2019

While most of you have probably forgotten him, I still watch the daily videos put out by the Angry Tiger Fan. Every day he churns one of those out. The vitriol varies but the exasperation is constant. The Tigers are a terrible baseball team run by fools and owned by clueless elite. Not only do they get killed every game but all the young players they have up are bad and the ones down below can’t be much or they would be able to bump the current sad sackers they run out there. And they just gave their GM an extension! Talk about no hope and you are talking about what the Tiger fan base is mired in.

So from that standpoint I feel fortunate to at least get to watch Giants games this year that are in the realm of competitive. There are players I enjoy watching like Pillar, Panda, The Dick and Smith. And we do have some pieces down below, percolating, coalescing. Legit prospects are on the way!

So I’m not sweating losses like last night’s in the slightest. Our men showed moxie and verve. If they had just thrown in the towel when The Conner Joe’s from Kokomo showed up on Opening Day that would have made for a long season….

Black Shoes today! Another reason to watch the game…..

1. gianthead said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:26 am

If anyone questions the need for a robo-ump, last night’s game is the perfect demonstration. 3 or 4 clearly outside pitches were called strikes and at least two strikeouts and at least a couple below the strike zone as well…complete bullshit and time for a change…

2. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:40 am

If Bum can hold Brewers lineup to one unearned run in 5 innings in that yard, I don’t know what else a team like theirs would want. No question they are going to need more pitching to survive/thrive. Like SD though I don’t think in today’s game SPs like bum are getting big money over multi 3+ year deals any more. No one hardly even goes 7 innings/200 in a season and new mgrs. aren’t going to overwork SPs anymore.

3. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:42 am

Connor Joe was born in San Diego and grew up there, and quite likely has never been to Kokomo in his life.

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:05 am

he could have been conceived in Kokomo, nobody knows for sure….

4. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:45 am

hope Dickerson is OK for when Giants hit Colorado. Score last night there was 17-9, Reds winning.

5. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:06 am

6. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:14 am

I learned of Kokomo back in the 60’s when ABC had bowling on Saturday afternoons.
    The great Don Johnson was born there.
    Chris Schenkel loved to say Kokomo as much as possible…

7. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:17 am

A guy did “steal 1b” in Atlantic league game last night. Wild pitch early in count went to backstop, he took off and made it without a throw. According to yahoo, scored as FC. They are using electro umps to relay call to human behind plate for K zone and apparently Manfred is quite excited about this and vows to implement at other minor league levels. hmmnn

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:30 am

Decent piece re Zaidi’s opportunity to go over the top at the deadline.

9. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:45 am

Belt back out there in LF, yikes

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:52 am

Belt in LF makes me sick…

• willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:56 am

ABs bothered me more than his D last night.

• willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:55 am

ah, keeps Sando in there. Dick has back spasms. Austin, who platoons vs. LHP isn’t much of LF either. Belt did make good throw and almost gunned down a guy at 2b last night. Hey Giants won WS with Ishi and Morse in LF, Burrell too. Maybe Belt makes up for it with some yardwork.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 10:23 am

Belt’s throw was impressive but most of the time him and Crawford look like they should be in a row boat fishing somewhere…

• willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 10:37 am

different parts of vanilla triangle.

10. wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:51 am

If Zaidi plays his cards right the Giants could have a legit Top 10 farm system going into next season. The next couple of weeks will be fun to watch for sure.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 10:15 am

I think you’re gonna win the pool, WJ…

• willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 10:36 am

what do you think Houston has to do? AL top 7 very strong…how could they add pieces to be best of playoffs?

• wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2019 at 10:52 am

They absolutely need another front line starter to add behind Verlander and Cole. They also need one if not two reliable bullpen arms.

Here is my long shot trade proposal. Bum and Smith for Kyle Tucker, Corbin Martin and another upper level prospect. That would give the Stros some separation from the Yankees. Plus how cool would it be to see Bum beating the Dodgers for the title?

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 11:47 am

How’s that for our side?

• wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Tucker was considered a Top 5 prospect in all of basbeball before last season. I think he had less than 100AB’s last season with the Astros and he looked completely overmatched. I think he has 24HR’s thus far in AAA and is batting around .275. With the emergence of Yordan Alvarez he has become an afterthought for Stros fans.

Corbin Martin a RHP is also a Top 100 prospect but he just underwent TJ surgery. If healthy I don’t think Houston would consider parting with him as he could be in the rotation right now. As is, I think he is expendable.

11. alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2019 at 10:35 am

Jimmy Buffet’s Kokomo I still play at my local watering hole …

12. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 11:20 am

good for Longo. If they’re gonna give that side of field to you and pitcher goes away from his defense, take it.
    Wilco good luck to Stros. Hope they get something done to increase their chances of winning it all again.

13. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 11:34 am

Awesome name and logo…

14. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 11:42 am

that will work. I’m digging Solano.
    Wotus maybe not so much.

15. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:37 pm

dare to dream?

Bailey got yanked before his start today and traded to the A’s so…..

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Is Panik still considered the starting second sacker?…

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Would be stunning…

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:47 pm

The Angels were the only team I thought might be a possible dumping ground for Longo.
        Upton would have to be part of it.
        No chance…

16. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:40 pm

17. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Kuip forgot/missed the third out was the third out last inning. He’s been mailin’ it in for a while.
    Where’s Jon Miller? He is very frequently “on assignment” for entire series. I wonder if his health is OK.
    I predict major changes in the broadcast teams, radio and TV, next season…

• wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Agreed. After reading that Jenkins interview with Kruk last week, I would be shocked if he returns next season. Kuip has no reason to hang around without his best friend.

18. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:47 pm

• willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:53 pm

hank had said before that his OPS had dropped 100 points in last month. Hitting leadoff doesn’t seem to be doing much for him either.

19. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:50 pm

brewers twitter guy noted they have one swinging bunt hit since first inning. tweet back was “being mastered by Cy Beede.”

20. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I’m not seeing any twitter chatter about Longoria…

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:03 pm

it was probably nothing but I dared to dream

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:06 pm

“Left foot discomfort”

21. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Not sure about what Crawford was thinking there on that caught stealing with just one down. He’s not exactly Rickey Henderson out there…

• willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:02 pm

yes.. Until Giants un honkify the team, they just shouldn’t do shit like this. they had chance to add to the lead and now Yelich bomb ties game up.

22. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:05 pm

great,

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Oh well.
      For a minute I thought maybe there was a team out there dumbass enough to take him …

23. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Does anyone think we’re developing 1 or 2 SPs for the long haul?
    Can’t remember if D-Rod had a lot of believers last year.
    I feel like he didn’t, but IDK…

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:21 pm

We were all in on DRod. Couldn’t believe we were gifted someone like that. Thought the twins were bald faced goons. So yeah, I’m a little skeptical about these other guys but it’s at least nice to see.

24. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Beede looks like he’s starting to get some mental toughness.
    Giving up a dinger to Yelich is no badge of shame.
    And, now the Butcher Boy play — great job!…

25. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:13 pm

yeah Solano again.

26. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:15 pm

oh what a play beede shoots one through the hole and Giants regain lead.

27. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:20 pm

Beede shakin’ off dem istagram blues and really contributing today

28. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Vogt early/Vogt often

• willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:24 pm

what a great pick up. props to the Z on this one.

29. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm

I love Vogt…

30. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Vogt can’t throw out a turtle on the basepaths. But, he can hit, and that more than makes up for it.

31. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Giants have to get at least one more run from a zero out, men on 2nd and 3rd situation…

32. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:29 pm

make this chump throw a strike. Slater went fishing in the dirt. and there it is Albers walks in a run.

33. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Wow. Walks in a run.
    ZMan should walk into the Brewers GM office right now and say “I’ve got Pen guys, here’s my list of your minor league guys I want…”

34. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Yaz 9th guy up this inning, with 1 out.

35. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Milwaukee has a first-rate organist.
    He played Katyusha during Yaz AB…

• wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Waiting for him to play something from Upstairs at Eric’s

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:19 pm

No idea what that is???

36. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Solano is making Panik an afterthought and a definite trade target; and I have no clue who this guy is …

37. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:37 pm

second hit this inning for Solano 8-2 Giants. Man Cousell’s pen sure having rough series.

38. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:44 pm

IDK what’s with Kuiper these days.
    On Pillar’s infield hit this past inning, Arcia gloved it heading full tilt towards the 3rd base line, all momentum there. He couldn’t make a throw to third for a force, the 3rd baseman was 15 feet off the bag. He couldn’t make a throw to 2nd or 1st since his momentum away wouldn’t allow it. The only play he had was try to throw home for a force. Kuiper said that was a “bad idea”, he had to get an out somewhere?…

39. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 1:52 pm

A series like this is great evidence that Oracle Park needs an immediate facelift in the outfield walls. If the Giants played at Miller Park, they’d have what, 40+ more homers a season? 50? 60? And, the Giants hitters wouldn’t need pyschotherapy…

40. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:03 pm

I agree that Solano should be starting at second or maybe even consider Slater who played there in the minors this year iirc but I don’t know why another org would give up anything for Panik(who sucks).

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:07 pm

He’s making $3.85 MM on a one year deal.
      FA after this season. If he signs somewhere else in the offseason, I don’t know if Giants get any compensatory pick, or even if, what quality it would be…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Since the club hates eating money I can see them retaining him through the season otherwise it’s more likely he’s DFA because he sucks. I doubt he gets anything more than a spring invite from any org in the league next year.

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:22 pm

I wonder what’s happened to him? Not like he’s mid thirties, or has had huge injuries. Wonder if the concussion thing precipitated the slide…

41. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:21 pm

Melanbust, coming in with runners in scoring position. Fingers and toes crossed here…

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Whew !…
      K for Melanbust…

42. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:26 pm

wow 3 pitch see ya K from the M there with 2 guys on. Maybe Giants can package him into a deal and kick back some of the $$$.
    That statue of Ueck is pretty cool from his “he missed the tag” seat. Is that what it is?

43. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:27 pm

snarkk, re Panik-I think it’s a combination of over performance in previous years and the club overvaluing him.

44. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Nice win, nice win.
    Would take 3 earnies out of Beede for 7 frames any time…

45. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Now onto that hellhole of Coors.
    Doubleheader tomorrow. 95 degrees. Ball is going to be flying outta there.
    Flemm said this season Coors is averaging about 14 total runs scored every game.
    4 games in 3 days there in 90 degree heat; the pitching staff may need to be on IVs by Wednesday…

46. Macdog said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Series win in Brewtown!

47. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Bart watch: not so hot
    BA, OBP, SLG, OPS
    .252; 302; .450; .753

Heliot Ramos: hotter
    .296; 377; .493; .869

48. Stan Shell said, on July 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm

WTF is going on here!! I quit baseball and the Giants this year due to lack of interest. Quit DTV baseball that I’ve had since it started. Even quit, to no ones sorrow, posting on this site. Then a few wins here and a few there and last night I turned on channel 720 (DTV’s all games on one screen) and there were the Giants locked in another tight one with the well ranked Brewers. So I moved a stool in front of my 55 inch and watched the Giant game on a 14 INCH diagonal window!!! Drink and smoke in front of me and me on a stool about 20 inches from the screen. As I was contemplating my situation of watching baseball on a screen smaller than the one I used to watch on when Dizzy Dean and Buddy Blattner announced back when I was a kid, Then I leaned back in my rocking chair. On my way backwards I remembered I was sitting on a stool and not my normal rocking chair. Ass over teakettle.
    Hit head but didn’t spill the drink or get my pipe wet.
    Today I watched them close it out on my new favorite, Channel 720.
    4or 5 games from .500 ball- -WTF!

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 3:43 pm

You should at least stick around for the trade deadline, Seal.
      They’ll always be in your blood…

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Hilarious. But I have directv to and you could have watched the Giant feed today and Fox yday and Giant feed Friday…did not have to get stuck to just channel 720…

• xoot said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:26 pm

Seal, I’m partial to edibles and Woodford Reserve these days. About two years ago I sold a townhouse I owned near the intersection of Homestead and SS Road (De Anza these days) in Cupertino–15 minute walk from Apple’s new HQ. That neighborhood has changed a bit since you listened to ballgames on the radio there.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Stocking up. Got a bottle of Russell’s Reserve, and my backup Woodford. Shit I remember that area before they put the new freeway there by De Anza college.

• unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Course, 85 has been there for 30 years!

• xoot said, on July 14, 2019 at 5:40 pm

I took a tour of Woodford while I was killing time in Lexington last month and got interested. It’s good. iirc Sealsman grew up in one of those few farmhouses that were out in the middle of the vast orchards in Cupertino and Santa Clara, back when I was in HS there. Lotta Carlo Rossi Red Mountain and Country Club malt liquor went under in those orchards. As a result, I’ve always liked the Beat Farmers, Riverside (it’s analogous, anyway).

49. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Giants’ minor leagues’ stats so far this season:

SJose Giants High A :
    40-53, last in the North of the CA League.
    Overall, 7th out of 8 in the League, with the Angels team the only one worse.

Richmond Flying Squirrels AA Eastern League :
    33-57, dead last (by 3 games in the loss column) in the entire 12 team League.

Sac River Cats in Northern Division of Pacific conference of PCL:
    48-44, 1st in that Division. 3rd in the 8-team Pacific conference.

Let’s get some prospects onto these teams…

50. mrsprtdude said, on July 14, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Excited Beede is getting better. Other than the potential trades he is the most interesting thing to watch the rest of the way. The fact they let him hit in the 7th was great. When was the last time anyone saw a starter bat in the 7th of a close game with a RISP??? Not just us but any team? Schuerzer maybe but no one else I can think of…

51. mrsprtdude said, on July 14, 2019 at 3:13 pm

PS Glad he isn’t pitching at Coors. He will miss getting messed up by it just as he is hopefully starting to figure things out

52. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Longoria.
    Plantar fascitis.
    Just as this guy starts getting warmed up…

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:13 pm

Not the worst injury…couple weeks at most…

53. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 3:20 pm

One good thing about Beede going as long as he did and Giants getting him a big lead is that Holland and M were able to finish it off so the other more effective guys could rest up.
    Todays’ game in coors 10-9 Rox. Only 1 HR out of 23 hits by both teams combined, Rox have only used 3 pitchers though Sentzatela who started got hammered.
    Last night tho—17-9 Reds, in a game Rox led 4-0 after 1 and 7-5 after 6. Reds hit 3 bombs and had 24 hits.
    Rox used 6 different pitchers. Pen guys had 2 separate 5 run innings against them.

54. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Late arriving!

55. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Brewer announcers pointed out that not only is Crawford the oldest SS in the bigs at 32, he was also the last Giant to hit 20 homers (21 in 2015). With Longoria sidelined, we could be looking at a 4 year streak.
    Almost impossible to do in this day and age. I wonder when that last happened…

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:51 pm

I remember asking this same question last year.
      I think Unca Chuck came up with some 80’s Cardinal teams…

56. gianthead said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Magic #31 and Boch back to. 500 as Giants manager…

57. gianthead said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:21 pm

That Wimbledon Men’s Final was pretty cool…

58. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Fangraphs has us at 0.9% to make the post season so that’s probably the number to look at if you want to stay positive lqtm

• xoot said, on July 14, 2019 at 4:37 pm

that decimal fraction rises as slowly, as arduously, as WAR

• gianthead said, on July 14, 2019 at 5:37 pm

We gained a half game:)

59. unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Don’t make me break out my Edwin Starr youtube videos. So, you’re saying there a chance?

Fuck, man. What if we play .700 ball till the break? We’d be a buck or 2 or maybe even 3 over .500. Which in the scheme of things in the parity-laden MLB is the place to be. Hate to be fucking optimistic but shit’s getting weird here in the Creek. The roller coaster of life is kicking my ass and I’m fighting back with skinks. We sight be buyers!

Longo down, but we get more Pablito. Plantar Fasciitis sucks.

Warriors returning 4 players next year from this year’s squad. Steph, Klay, Draymond, and Looney. Wow. The entire NBA is 180 deg. different from this season.

60. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 5:44 pm

Still 8 teams to pass in the Wild Card, but July has been fun so far. The surge is still happening!
    Zaidi on the hot seat, lulz.

61. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:02 pm

I’ll say it again–out of those 8 how many are better than the Giants of right now? Padres AZ Cards Pirates Reds are a definite no. Brewers we just beat in their own yard. So if you want to doom it up and say we’re last forever and ain’t going anywhere, fine but we must be watching somebody different. that’s 9 out of 12, and not against the Orioles either.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:19 pm

I see your point. But the remaining schedule is a big challenge.
      7 Cubs
      7 Phils
      6 Dodgers
      3 Red Sox
      4 Cardinals
      4 A’s
      are the ones I see as the toughest challenges.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Looks like 9-22 to me…

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:22 pm

Last place in the NL West is guaranteed. I’ve said that since February.

62. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Red Sox 3b coach sent a guy none of us would have sent. Easy out at home.

63. Flavor said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:25 pm

The math on this is correct. 1% is what it would take to pass 8 teams. There’s no way anyone here would or should advocate to chase a 1% pipe dream and buy instead of sell.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:30 pm

And hardcore intense number-crunching fans like us represent about 5% of the fan-base.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:39 pm

By “us” I mean all the Flappers and other fans who follow the Giants that closely and deeply.

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:44 pm

That still didn’t quite come out right. I mean all the Flappers. Every Flapper on here brings great depth and insight.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:51 pm

I think it’s time for some Flap WAR ratings, Zumiee 🙂 😉 🙂

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I struggle to stay above replacement level. 🙂

• xoot said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm

see that’s the rare occasion when you wish you had a thumb’s up option

64. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Larry Baer is visualizing a packed house next home stand. He’s feeling it. He was away during the whole crappy part of the season.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:09 pm

First guy to ever serve 3 months for cross checking…

65. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:35 pm

2 games tomorrow! That’s pretty darned cool.

66. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 6:41 pm

A significant % of Giants fans are getting pumped about the Giants right now. That’s a tough thing for the brass to ignore.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:02 pm

Only if you think they care about the fans.
      I am positive they don’t – in any sport…

67. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Baez gives it up.

68. snarkk said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Dang, you guys are drinking some good stuff — Russell’s Reserve (made at Wild Turkey) and Woodford, and Xoot even toured Woodford. I did both last summer. Maybe we should do a Flapalooza in Cincy and then drive on down to Lexington and surrounds for a Bourbon, BBQ, and horse tour…

• xoot said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Now that would be something. Maybe connected to Keeneland season? I’d be staying at the Boone Tavern Inn, while in KY, but Uber would save my aged ass.

69. alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:25 pm

OMG their actually going to start Pomegranate on the road against Colorado! Guaranteed whip assing he will take.His line 5 innings maybe,95 pitches 8 hits 7runs throwin a hit batter and 3 walks.Well theirs always the second game chance for a split.
    Sad when your playing your best ball that you automatically give up the 1st game in the series..

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:06 pm

I think Bom-Bom gets DFA’ed right after the game unless he is spectacular.
      Financial considerations…

• sandog said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:15 pm

We’re not the fucking A’s Loo. The Giants have $$$$$ and aren’t afraid to spend it–which I appreciate cuz that wasn’t always the case.

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Didn’t stop them from stiffing their greatest lefty since Carl Hubbell…

• sandog said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:53 pm

So fucking stupid and shortsighted of them. Can’t defend em on that one.

70. willedav said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:37 pm

The NL to me has 3-4 elite teams–Cubs LA ATL and WAS. the next tier is full of teams that are few games over or under .500—AZ SD Rox MIL STL PIT Cin PHil. After 90 games, that’s who they are and in many cases the Giants have won 2-3 less games total. I think that’s the group they belong to, not as a hopeless bottom feeder like the Tigers Flav mentioned. I’m not into buying and adding players for a big push; I’m content to see what they can do with what they have because it’s been fun to watch.

And any more success is gonna be more about pitching holding up than how many bombs they hit, especially if some of their best arms are dealt off for future benefits. Nothing wrong with bringing up young arms and giving them a taste of ML ball or in case of Suarez, another extended look.

71. djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Maybe I’m not paying close enough attention, but do any of our young(er) SP’s have a really good “out” pitch? I’m just not picking up on any exceptional stuff from the likes of Beede, Andersen, Suarez, D-Rod, etc…

• sandog said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Black Shoes Beede has a changpiece that is gonna bring MLB hitters to their knees!

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Glad to hear that, Dog. I don’t know where BSB tops out on the gun, but I was never a big believer in the theory that your change has to be SO much slower than your fastball to be successful anyway. You either fool the hitter or you don’t. Also think the alternating batting order (LRLR etc.) is nonsense…

• sandog said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:12 pm

I didn’t get to see him pitch today, but his change up looks pretty nasty to me.
        Loo, you would love it here in San Pedro. There is grit here. Its like the Coney Island of California.
        I leave tomorrow.

Stan/Shell–that post was gold—get back on here on the regular plz.

Flav–nobody on here thinks the Giants should be buyers. Thats loco.

72. alleykat69 said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:52 pm

The only buying the Giants should do is buying out Pomeraz’s contract…

• sandog said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Who do you have in mind for taking his place Kat ??? Phil Nastu?

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 8:58 pm

Perhaps some of the “ML ready” talent they’re supposedly gonna get for Bum and Smith…

• djloo27 said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:00 pm

LOL!!!

73. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:08 pm

The Red Sox found several ways to mess up their chance that inning.

74. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:16 pm

Now they have a tomato can pitching the 12th.

75. zumiee said, on July 14, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Holt on the mic, cracking jokes, oh then makes an error.