Mile High Beat Down

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 15, 2019

A double header in Colorado. I can’t envision an acceptable outcome. I mean, mayyyyybe you say Smarge has been pitching well, he somehow keeps it going and DRod feeds off that in Game 2?

Also, the Rockies have been in Colorado playing. I always say they are most dangerous in that altitude when they’ve played a series or two there and are waiting for fresh meat off the plane. If Colorado and their opponent are STARTING the series together in Colorado (in other words, Colorado is coming home off a road trip) things are a little more fair. The visual memory index numbers I look at daily prove this. Granted, we’re just talking about one day and I guess anything can happen on a given day but……

We get blasted today and recovering from this day long shellacking might set them back 2 weeks making it a lot easier for the housewives on facebook to absorb the blows Z will be delivering them at the trade deadline….

1. Bozo said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Giants still riding high, Pirates and Reds in the rear view mirror, Pads next. Lets play three.

• Macdog said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Two down, six to go.

• djloo27 said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:56 pm

• unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2019 at 12:51 pm

I thought that was going in a whole different direction, Loo.

2. willedav said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:46 pm

um, I think they just knocked 2 of the list of 8. Now only one game behind Rox too.
    Pitching duel never gets old. And yes for Smith to get out of that one with Arenado up and game on the line was fantastic. So was Watson before him with the GIDP and 3 ks from Dyson.
    man what a day!

• zumiee said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:49 pm

• Macdog said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:51 pm

A Clint double feature!

• alleykat69 said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Yeah Clint says those Giants are the real deal, their not candy asses like the Rockies!!

3. unca_chuck said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:57 pm

4 games under .500. 3 games back in the WC.

Unbelievable.

4. unca_chuck said, on July 15, 2019 at 8:58 pm

With Baer slurming back into the front office, you know he’s saying ‘sign Bummie!’

5. unca_chuck said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:00 pm

I think we’re above 0.9 . . .

6. snarkk said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:01 pm

If Pom pitches tomorrow and wins, against a rookie Rocks starter the Giants don’t know, well, something actually may be going on here…

7. djloo27 said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:03 pm

Think their doin’ it for Bochy?

8. alleykat69 said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:04 pm

On a Richter scale their a 7.5, 1989 shaker hitting their stride right now..

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:14 pm

” … well, something actually may be going on here…” Ya think?!

If losing is contagious, so is winning.

It’s not that I called this, but …

Bochy must’ve printed out Magnus’s post at the top for motivation.

#we_ll_show_you

9. zumiee said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:33 pm

I don’t envy Zaidi if the surge continues. Ain’t going to be easy whatever he decides.

10. djloo27 said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:47 pm

• zumiee said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:49 pm

White males are the worst dancers on planet Earth.

• willedav said, on July 15, 2019 at 10:24 pm

funny you should say that. I was reading about a film being presented at Jewish Film Fest in SF, and one of them is about the mambo craze in the early ’50s for Cuban/PR music in Miami NYC Catskills yada yada; some of these people are still alive and allegedly, dancing. I know someone who enjoys Latin music and grew up in NYC in those days and he told me the Jewish guys were among the best dancers.
        The film is called “Mamboniks” and there will be live music

• djloo27 said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:50 pm

He’s my new idol!

11. zumiee said, on July 15, 2019 at 9:57 pm

I have no idea what’s going on here:

12. James said, on July 15, 2019 at 10:19 pm

I looked at the other teams’ odds of making the playoffs in baseball ref based on records through yesterday, and then clicked on the link describing the methodology, which was not real helpful. It seems the biggest thing SF has going against it is not so much the thicket of other teams to get through, but good old run differential. See the Diamondbacks. The pace at which you’ve scored and given up runs is a much better indicator of future performance than your current W-L.

One of the things that happened in today’s sweep is that the Pythagorean projection based on team runs scored/runs allowed adjusted to match the Giants’ actual record of 45-49. The unfortunate reality it underscores, though, is that most of the SF players, pitchers and hitters, need to keep improving on their current stats for the rest of the season to get to 86 or so wins. That seems like a tall order.

• willedav said, on July 15, 2019 at 10:32 pm

and more so if they lose pitching like bum and the most reliable pen guys dyson Watson Smith. Remains to be seen how Slater Austin Dickerson and Yaz, small sample numbers change with more ABs. Sando so far seems too good to last too.

At least last few weeks have been much more enjoyable than first 2 months.

• xoot said, on July 15, 2019 at 11:04 pm

wait a minute, wait a minute–are you telling me that the Giants 19-2 win today “adjusted” their effing Pythagorean projection so that on the basis of those 19 runs we have reason to consider but then doubt whether they can compete, but if they’d won 3-2 we’d be wasting our time to even pay attention? No. No. I can’t buy that.

• unca_chuck said, on July 15, 2019 at 11:11 pm

Pythagoras was no ball player . . .

• djloo27 said, on July 16, 2019 at 4:02 am

The Pythagorean Theory was rattled off by the Scarecrow after meeting the Wizard of Oz.
        I think he may have botched it…

13. snarkk said, on July 15, 2019 at 10:56 pm

Giants are going to need a shitload of Prozac when they get back home and realize they’ve got a homestand worth of ABs at Oracle Park…

14. djloo27 said, on July 16, 2019 at 4:05 am

Awful news about the great Pernell Whitaker…

• blade3colorado said, on July 16, 2019 at 1:20 pm

Whitaker was robbed more than once in his career. In his first world title challenge against Ramirez and again in the draw against Julio Cesar Chavez. Whitaker clearly won both fights, and you could also argue that he deserved a win over Oscar De La Hoya as well. Although he had almost zero KO power, I never saw anyone that was a better pure boxer than “Sweet Pea” (including my hero, Ali).

• djloo27 said, on July 19, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Blade, I just saw this now.
        You all good?

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Yeah, I’m okay . . . Lots of changes and trying to sort through them. Thanks for asking. Hope you’re well Loo.