What’s Your Breaking Point?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 17, 2019

Updated odds. We went up 0.5% after last night’s win.

Screenshot 2019-07-17 at 7.37.56 AM

Question for you (and some of you may already be there). At what point, percentage wise, do you hit the buzzer stopping Z from trading and force him to become a buyer? 5%? 15% 20%? It’s your buzzer and you control his fate. If we kept adding a half point each day we’d get very close to 10% by the day of the trade deadline…..I’m already on record yesterday saying that if you guaranteed us the 2nd WC spot today I’d still want Z to sell.

I’m not sure how we pass the Pads last night, leave the cellar for the first time all season, and yet San Diego still has double the chance we do of making the post season…..

1. gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:51 am

I did not want to give a MAGIC Number update yday and jinx winning the series. So was ready to do so the moment of closing out the 9th last night…well that did not go as planned panned. Hit the sack and saw on my phone they re-took the lead!!! Then woke up and watched the whole inning…good stuff!!

Looking back at the moment this season started its turn around (still think it fatuous to think we are going to be a legit playoff contender) and I think it is clear that it was the moment of Dick’s arrival and his first homer and the team rallying around The Dick!!

I’m calling this now The Rally Dick!!! I want this plastered on the big screen at Oracle ala the Rally Monkey….this now rivals the Rally Thong!!!

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:52 am

And of yeah…Magic Number 28!!!

2. willedav said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:30 am

IF the Giants could not find offer they liked for Bum I’ve read scenario where they keep him and offer the QO, so if someone does pick him up they get extra pick. Teams today though seem really reluctant to sign guys like that so I wonder if Bum would be disappointed to go that route and just turn it down in that case leaving SF high and dry with zero comp for losing him.
    Still hope they can sign him to reasonable deal but understand best interests might be for him to be dealt.
    The Padres with all their young pitching have less shot than Giants do at WC. Btw inning limitations and other factors, no way their pitching holds up unless they choose to add to it.

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:36 am

wd…what is your ballpark of a reasonable deal? I thought in the off-season Bum would be more like his old old self and get 6 years and $150 mill from the Giants…since he is not his old self and I hate the sound of this but ownership (Baer) has a preference to taking care of their guys and I would not want to give him this (I could argue he probably deserves it though) but is 4 years $80 mill unreasonable???

Farhan certainly will not want to…

3. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:34 am

Like WAR, these ‘power rankings’ and playoff probabilities aren’t worth the horseshit they are printed on. I said in early June that if they could go on an improbable run and get to .500 by the break they might as well go for it.

Fuck, I don’t know. Where were we in 2014 at the break? I’d bet we were in a similar situation. The thing that really gives me pause is the fact that Cueto is firing up his heaters and riding his horse back to the starting rotation in early August.

Given that this is Bochy’s last rodeo, and the fact that Larry Baer is back in the building, Farhan must be thinking “What the fuck? I wanted to jettison everyone but they keep coming back!”

I think they will be (*gulp*) buyers. And I’m sticking with that. If we are near .500, go for it. If only for the ginormous FUCK YOU to the Dodgers if we somehow pulled this miracle off.

It would be the biggest upset in baseball history.

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:57 am

The Giants were 46-43 at this time in 2014.

4. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:42 am

Another option is to keep Bum and Smith, and not make any deals. It’s an option that wouldn’t satisfy a lot of fans in either camp, but would be a compromise.
    I’m not saying I support it, but if the Giants keep surging, I can’t see Zaidi taking pieces from the roster. He would immediately become a much hated character in Giants history, at least for a while. Somewhere in his psyche he has to care about that somewhat.

• unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:58 am

Well, that’s pretty much what I meant. We will be bystanders. I don’t think they are going to deal for Marcus Strohman or anything. Do we break up the OF and get Nick Castellanos from the Tigers?

Beyond that, we would have to give up Bart or Helios in any kind of deal so, no.

5. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:47 am

Speaking of the roster, I see no spot for Duggar at this time.
    A case could be made for bringing up Zach Green and giving him a chance to platoon at 3b with Pablo for a while.

6. sandog said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:51 am

If you can get a reasonable return, I’m still fine with trading those guys. But, if teams are lowballing us, I’m also fine with hanging on to them and seeing how all this plays out.

I wonder how the Pads feel about trading us Dick at this point? Do you think they are fine with it and happy to see him doing well and hopeful the prospect they got in return will help them down the road?
    Or do they regret the hell out of making the trade that essentially put us on a rocket ride and has now had us passing them in the standings?
    I tend to think it is the latter.

• unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 9:07 am

I bet his teammates dig it.

Hey, we have to get payback for fucking Crime Dog at some point. Might as well be now~

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 9:07 am

agree on the low balling comment. And other GM’s have to at least think Z might not trade these guys now. So from that standpoint we should still get some decent offers. We’ll see.

7. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 9:01 am

George Foster springs to mind.

Hah! Not that Dick Dick Dick’s gonna challenge for the home run crown or anything, I just wonder how van Gurp is doing . . . he sounds like a villain from a Beach Blanket Bingo movie.

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:41 am

Great reference..loves those movies as a kid. KTVU special!!

8. Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 9:14 am

guys like The Dick and Pillar are great, I’m glad Z found them and look forward to their contributions this year and next. But if we want to compete for REAL not go on a nice run and somehow sneak into the post season, we need guys like this:

And the only way we’re getting guys like this are if we draft like bosses and, hopefully, get lucky with trading the few pieces we have to trade. I can wait a couple of years. Z will do the right thing (I hope)

• unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:02 am

What is your breaking point, Craig? We have 13 games left before the deadline. Say we go something like 9-4. That would put us at 55-53. We’d prolly jump a couple teams (Colo, AZ, StL?), and be very close to the last spot.

Cueto’s return is like a deadline deal, so we’d be in decent shape to make a run. Sure, the problem is that if we don;t do anything, we’d stand to lose Bummie for nothing, or sign him. Neither of which are great outcomes.

Bummie for nothing, and the chicks for free . . .

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:20 am

I don’t want them to add I want them to sell. I’m not swayed by this run, it has nothing to do with a foundation that we still need to build. But I am enjoying the wins, who wouldn’t?

9. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:26 am

The “give Bochy a final season playoff-chase” sentiment is growing amongst the fans. I can’t see Zaidi totally ignoring that.

• djloo27 said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:50 am

There’s no room for sentiment in any big business.
      No one gives a fuck for the fans…

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:56 am

I think the Giants do a little more than most teams.

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:58 am

Sometimes for good and bad. Sometimes good intentions went bad.

• djloo27 said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:30 am

They usually do…

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:43 am

Same with us in the Admin😗

10. Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:32 am

11. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:36 am

87 wins is the number to get too! Since the start of 2 wildcard teams the lowest number is 87 to get to the playoffs.The Giants will have to 41-26 a percentage of .611 baseball a very tall order.Yet their is slot of teams ahead of them that are just medicore with either BP problems are Starting Pitchers.
    Next 10-13 games will top the scales up to the deadline on what they will do..

12. Bozo said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:40 am

Alex, I’ll take init2winit for all the marbles. I’ve seen way too many teams flounder in the rebuild process for years.

If we hadn’t gone through the revolving door of Zaidi’s Zeros at the start of the year maybe we’d be in a better position right now and more of you would be on board, or maybe not. Still, init2winit.

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:00 am

Without the revolving door we wouldn’t have the current outfield and bench that is doing a lot to fuel the surge.

• Bozo said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:53 am

OK, It took a lot of spillage to try and get this glass half full and I don’t think it should have is all I’m saying.

Calling it Zaidi’s Zeros might be a bit harsh since a few of those guys could still help the club someday. I’ll soften that by calling it Farhan’s Folly. If Sabean had trotted out that Opening day lineup last year, he would’ve been crucified on this blog (me included).

13. djloo27 said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:44 am

1. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    2. Austin Slater (R) RF
    3. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    4. Stephen Vogt (L) C
    5. Mike Yastrzemski (L) LF
    6. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
    7. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    8. Donovan Solano (R) SS
    9. Shaun Anderson (R) P

• djloo27 said, on July 17, 2019 at 10:47 am

^That lineup’s getting past LA plus whatever they add at the deadline? I don’t think so.
      Bums are gonna load up big time at the deadline – now or never for them…

• unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:10 am

The Dodgers will always be done in by the superior pitching they face in the playoffs. They are the Harlem Globetrotters of the regular season. Laughing and joking and cranking home runs all over the place. When the playoffs hit and their bats are silenced, sorry. Not sorry. The Washington Generals become the 2018 Warriors. Adios, motherfuckers.

If we can contribute to that, hey why not?

Really, you think Grienke goes back to LA? Stroman is a more likely. They really need relief help, and I’m of a mind not to help them down the stretch with any of our guys, but a guy like Brad Hand fits in with them.

14. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:07 am

I think like Zumie mentioned this would be a good time to bring up 3B Zach Green.With Longo’s plantar fasciitis injury their is never a exact timetable,it’s a painful injury to get right.
    Panda is best suited off the bench are a spot start and I’m sure Boch prefers that as well.
    Solano a great fill in for 2B and SS but not at 3rd,not enough arm strength to play there.Green would be a good addition at this time..

15. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:10 am

Zaidi on KNBR’s Facebook page:

“Every pennant race, every opportunity you have to get to the playoffs has a ton of value,” said Zaidi, in his first season with the team. “It has a ton of value to the fans, to the organization, and we don’t take that lightly.
    “It’s exciting to see the way we’ve played. Obviously we’re three games out of the wild-card race right now. There’s a lot of teams in it, and we’re right in the middle of it now. We’re going to continue to monitor these things.”
    Zaidi hinted again that the Giants can make moves that don’t fall under the buyer or seller umbrella, “need-for-need” trades that exchange surpluses. But the Giants getting, say, a veteran fill-in at third while Evan Longoria heals is not the transaction many fans are dreading.
    “At the end of the day, it’s going to be a question of: What’s the value of us playing this out and being in the thick of a pennant race vs. potential impact pieces that might become available to us,” Zaidi said. “… We may have some difficult decisions to make.”

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:13 am

In other words, he’s not tipping his hand.

16. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:21 am

If we DO buy, I’d like to see us get a guy like Whit Merrifield from the Royals. He can play IF and OF and shouldn’t cost too much. Panik is the weak link at this point and would love to see a guys like Merrifield in there.

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:49 am

We dont have the prospects KC will demand get from other teams for Merrifield….

17. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:24 am

One small deal that won’t break the bank but would help us in the long run.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:32 am

“So, if you knew for sure that the Giants would be the 2nd Wild Card by standing pat, you’d roll the dice and lose Bum & Smith for nothing over the winter?”

I’d absolutely roll the dice. Get in the tournament and anything can happen. Should make a pole for djloo’s question.

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am

And we likely would offer Bum a contract others wont in this current age..

19. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:37 am

Plus, we could keep them both anyway. If this improbable run works out, you’ve got to let it ride.

AHOFO!!

20. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:40 am

Merrifield would be a great addition Chuck, but rumors are KC wants a boatload for him2-3 MLB ready players,probably Will Smith and more, maybe to steep a price..
    Didn’t know for a honky he has so much speed though..He hit a inside the park HR in 14 and change yesterday, that’s flying, and of course the ump screwed up the call at the plate and ruled him out but replay clearly showed he made it..

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 11:53 am

Amazing to see how often umps are wrong at plays at home and bases…even in the frickin all-star game. That ump at first who blew an easy safe at first call at the all-star game should have been immediately removed and fans should have been allowed to throw things at him…that would liven up the modern game!!

21. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Another great start!
    Belt single,Slater, double,And panda knocks them both end with a double!!🔥🔥

22. Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Gotta add Yaz to the Pillar/dick list. He’s been so much better than I thought, big contributor

• alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 12:31 pm

The outfield depth is solid. Maybe just another infielder like 3B Zach Green for depth with Longo out..

23. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Yazzer!! These bats are on fire 🔥3-0

24. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Gamecasting. Injury delay?

25. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Blackmon hits it to Solano and he will turn the DP.
    Kuip mailing in another bad call, as the ball was hit to Anderson to start the DP.

26. Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:24 pm

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Halatosis hallelujah…Bum’s no trade list may be too high of a threshold for those teams to ensure Bum would be happy enough to waive it.

27. gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Probably time to get Anderson out of there….they brought Suarez up right?

28. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:36 pm

It behooves us to play well till the deadline. It could lead to more bang for the buck. I’m sure it’s the right move but I’m not too thrilled with it. Depending on where we are after these 13 remaining games.

Waiting for someone to Rick roll the walkup music. Blackmon is close . . .

29. gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Vogt power!!

30. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Vogt launches it!
    Take the lead back!!

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Rock the Vogt!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:43 pm

good one … early and often

31. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Yeah, baby!! Somewhere Kratz is kratzing.

32. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Damm Yaz just keeps peppering that LF wall!!!

33. pawliekokonuts said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:44 pm

Band of Retrofits

34. pawliekokonuts said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Band of Buyers

35. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:46 pm

Yazzle dazzle . . .

36. pawliekokonuts said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:47 pm

I like the fact that nationally the Giants are getting NO ink on this so-called surge. Shades of 10, 12, 14.

37. pawliekokonuts said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:50 pm

My entries to Loo’s contest speak for themselves regarding ‘breaking [fuckin] point.’

• alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Agree PK, only death&taxes are a sure thing..

38. Bozo said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:03 pm

And, just, like, that.

39. djloo27 said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:05 pm

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:10 pm

where do you get this shit

• Macdog said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Loo knows hair dryers.

• alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:20 pm

The Super Solano Blaster!! Gold

40. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Damm I wish we could just stay on the road..

41. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Dick with a shot in the hole!

42. Bozo said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Dick her son.

• gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 5:26 pm

That did not come out right!!!

43. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Dick Dick Dick!!!
    This guy never shoots his wad!

44. Macdog said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Keep on hittin’.

45. Bozo said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Belt, adds on.

46. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Belted!
    Keep adding on!!

47. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:52 pm

From 95.7 The Game’s Facebook page. Jeff Passan says he knows stuff.
    “ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports that the surge won’t impact Farhan Zaidi, whose job is to keep the organization’s global perspective in mind:
    “San Francisco’s recent success isn’t throwing a wrench in the team’s trade-Bumgarner-and-all-the-relievers plan. Even with their best run of the year, the Giants are three games below .500 and have the third-worst run differential in the NL. They are selling. One more time, a bit slower. They. Are. Selling.”
    Passan identifies the following club’s as prospective MadBum suitors: Minnesota, Milwaukee, Houston and Philadelphia.
    According to Passan, the Giants actually tried to trade Bumgarner last month. Along with the lefty starter, closer Will Smith, as has been widely rumored, promises to be a popular target.
    “If Smith isn’t the crème de la crème among relievers, he’s certainly in the coffee mug.”

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 2:53 pm

His last line was so funny.

48. Macdog said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:01 pm

Make that 11-5

• Bozo said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Dang Mac, I’m your echo.

50. Macdog said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Whoops!

51. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:34 pm

Damm that was a HUGE BOMB!
    Back to Sac for Suarez..

52. Macdog said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:35 pm

It’s never easy at that fucking place.

53. Macdog said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm

SWEEEEP the Rox!

54. djloo27 said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:41 pm

55. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Praise the Lord🙏
    A Sweeeppp!!!

56. Macdog said, on July 17, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Imagine that, Giants swept four at Coors without their WAR leader.

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 4:06 pm

• Bozo said, on July 17, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Let’s play 5.

57. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 4:08 pm

58. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Philly tomato can walks 3 Dodgers in the first inning, but only gives up 1 run.
    Good escape, tomato can, good escape.

59. gianthead said, on July 17, 2019 at 5:28 pm

2-7!!!

60. alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 5:38 pm

No help from Arizona tonight as they put up 7 runs on 7 hits (yikes)in the 1st inning against Texas…

61. Macdog said, on July 17, 2019 at 6:31 pm

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 6:43 pm

lol wut?

• zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Frazier’s feeling pretty good about playing SF.
      We’ll see….

• alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Down goes Frazier along with the Mets…

62. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Coincidentally, Williamson and Parker were both DFA-ed today by their teams.

• alleykat69 said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Good news they can both be on the same airline looking for work in Japan/Korean league..

63. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Todd hasn’t looked at the standings lately.

64. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:39 pm

13-3 PFI.

65. Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Idiot calls it *San Fran*. There is no easier way to identify someone who has doesn’t live around here than if they call The City *San Fran* or *Frisco* which I’ve actually never heard anyone say I just know it gets said. I told PK the other day I’ve never seen a MAGA hat worn before in real life. That is true. We live in a bubble here, it is a smarter bubble than the rest of the country. That is fact.

66. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Rest in Peace Pumpsie Green. First black player on the last team to integrate. The Red Sox. Didn’t know he grew up in El Cerrito. Musta been rough for him in Beantown.

pumpsie

• willedav said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:09 pm

oh that’s too bad. Coached in area for long time too after pro career ended.

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Pumpsie Green is a fantastic fucking name.

67. willedav said, on July 17, 2019 at 8:15 pm

I’m sure any seller would love to land the next Cody Bellinger or Christian Yelich. for who Giants are offering I think in terms of power hitting prospect what they wind up with is more like a Chris Shaw. Has shown power at lower levels, has some things to work on/is blocked at position yada yada. Could be a keeper or 4A Bowker gang material.

Imo 1b. 2b SS are the positions in need of immediate upgrade for power bat. I’m OK with 3b/C and OF potential though one more bat out there plus Ramos would be wonderful. 20 bomb guys would be Pillar and Dick with Slater/Yaz maybe 15 -ish and some gap power. Enough pitching (so they do have to continue to add here) Giants can thrive.

68. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 9:10 pm

The Red Sox could have had the young Willie Mays, but passed on him because he was black. The Giants didn’t make that colossal mistake on Mays.

69. zumiee said, on July 17, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Not a big mystery why the Red Sox went 86 years in a row without winning the World Series.

70. unca_chuck said, on July 17, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Fuck the Merc and their blocking me.

• willedav said, on July 18, 2019 at 7:04 am

yeah the Merc sucks. they used to have great sports for local teams with blogs (Giants Sharks etc.) and ruined it. Baggs used to rule over there and Twin posted there near the end until they screwed it over.
      Plus you could get local HS scores, football b-ball everything including North and East Bay and game day type reporting on bigger (WCAL private league) games.

71. snarkk said, on July 17, 2019 at 9:47 pm

Whoever this Solano cat is, I’m digging’ him.
    Panik seems superfluous at this point.
    Vogt and Dick, those guys are boss right now.
    Zman still needs to do the trades. This is about strengthening the org long term, to eventually be good enough to go deep into the playoffs. Not selling now so the Giants can maybe squeak into WCII, and go no further, weakens the future…

72. willedav said, on July 18, 2019 at 6:59 am

Chron has nice story on pumpsie (real name Elijiah) Green. Yes it took Red Sox until 1959 to get a black player onto their team after Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby integrated the leagues 12 years earlier.
    Ernie Broglio also died at 83, a name that will forever live in Cubs infamy as the guy they got from Cardinals in exchange for Lou Brock. My mentor coach buddy who grew up in Italian district of Oakland (Temescal) knew him.

73. djloo27 said, on July 18, 2019 at 8:12 am

Talk about a double standard, how come the Negro Leagues never get any flack for not allowing white players?

• unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2019 at 8:23 am

But the Cuban/Venezuelan leagues allowed US blacks to play in their leagues, while Cuban players often played in the majors. Just depended on the color of your crayon.

• unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2019 at 9:02 am

I know yer kidding, DJ but I just thought is was strange that latin players were grudgingly allowed into the majors, but US players weren’t.

• unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2019 at 9:09 am

Most Negro league players preferred to play in the Cuban/Venezuelan leagues as they were treated well by the fans and weren’t subjected to the racism they got at home.