All We Do Is Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 20, 2019

Well, that was an utterly ridiculous way to win a baseball game. But hey, when you are the best team in major league baseball you’re going to get those type of breaks. Kruk kept talking about how we “took down” Thor and DeGrom but did we really? They dominated us. The Mets offense has been pathetic. Or do Bum and Black Shoes get all the credit?

Who knows? We are at .500 today and that is as absurd as it is amazing.

.833 ball since Flapalooza. At that clip we can pass LA……

1. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 7:34 am

That .833 win percentage was achieved twice by a Giant pitcher in the early ’60’s.
    I refuse to believe anyone can name him without looking it up.
    I only know it because all I did back then was study the backs of baseball cards…

• Stan Shell said, on July 20, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Only one I could think of was Mike McCormick (sic?).

OSF

2. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 7:41 am

Glad you’re starting to like my new “victory mascot”, Flavor. I’ve tried others, and I greatly miss my door closing dummy, but this dude is unbeaten and a nice contrast to Clint, IMO…

3. Macdog said, on July 20, 2019 at 7:55 am

Twenty years ago, I saw the Giants lose at Shea when the Mets took a 1-0 lead with 2 outs in the 8th on a dropped pop-up by SS Ramon Martinez, Mets scored another run and won 2-0. So, yeah, that was a sweet way to beat the Mets last night.

4. Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:04 am

5. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:17 am

Winning those games despite being dominated by Thor & dG is the kind of thing teams like the ’69 Mets did.
    Like fanning 19 times vs. Carlton but still beating him on 2 Ron Swoboda bombs.
    Hated that team…

6. willedav said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:28 am

Tommie Agee was cool player though. My HS buddy was White Sox fan and really liked the guy.
    Wonderful to see Giants at .500. They belong in that second tier class of NL–Cards Brewers Phils AZ SD Rox Pirates Reds, any of whom could potentially be final WC spot behind either ATL/WAS.
    And don’t forget some of those teams went heavy spending for likes of Harper Golds Arrieta Yelich yada yada.

7. willedav said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:32 am

Lost in what Z has done for Giants is this: the most tradeable valuable pieces on the market are who again? Smith Watson Dyson all acquired in deals by previous group. Same group that traded for Anderson (giving up forgettable Nunez) and drafted Beede. Moronta too. That’s half the pitching staff and nearly all the best arms plus main attraction, Bum.

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 11:52 am

Dyson was a particularly good, educated shot in the dark that returned gold. He was absolutely cratering with TX, they wanted him gone. Sabes got him for PTBNL; I have no idea who that turned out to be…

• willedav said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm

a guy who is still in AAA, Hunter Cole.

8. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:48 am

Lots of chatter about how can the team be sellers when they’re doing so well, should be buyers now or stand pat. No, still should take advantage of the situation having some pieces that can bring in prospects, that should still be number one goal. But what would it look like if Z does some selling but also keeps some and even “buys” one or two? I mean, who really has been responsible for this run? Could the team continue the run even trading the relievers and getting prospects? I think so. Bum, not so sure anymore. He seems very fired up these days…

9. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:50 am

Shit we might as well just win.out at this point..
    113-49!!

10. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:09 am

Bum doesn’t sound like a guy that wants to be traded at all.In fact when reporters keep asking him about trade rumors, he in only Bum eloquent way says “I don’t give a shit about it”, I’m here to win ball games! And we’re playing good ball lately!
    I’m thinking he’s staying put now, and besides Zman would be hiding under his desk,door bolted in utter fear, anticipated a “Big Country” chain saw massacre moment coming toward him down the hallway…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:13 am

Yeah, he never wanted to be traded, he’s always been in “win now” mode. Well, they’re winning now. He’s certainly making a point about that, I don’t think he *wants* to go anywhere. But the team still needs to get more prospects from just about any other player that is movable.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:42 am

Did you hear this bad news, Paul? You coming to NY?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:46 am

Yeah, heard about Tracks closing, a bit sad about that. I was in NJ for just a few days, it turned out shorter than planned, taking care of my Mom for a bit. Then I fell through my brother’s attic floor into his bathroom and cracked some ribs. I’m in Phoenix now… will head to San Diego in a few weeks and then SF… Really sorry I didn’t have more time in the east to see you and Mac…

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:54 am

Cracked ribs sucks, especially if you plan to breathe.
        Hope you’re suing the fuck out of your brother…

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:06 am

Didn’t mean to make light of your accident, Paul.
        I’m just a vindictive Chinese midget…

11. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:39 am

They better beat up on Walker Fuckin’ Lockett.
    History says otherwise.
    My Dancing Homo says no sweat…

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:43 am

That dude dances win or lose.

12. Macdog said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:57 am

Paul, sorry about your accident, hope you’re doing OK. Yeah, too bad we couldn’t all get together, if you’re in Phoenix now it might actually be hotter back here, today is ridiculous.

And Loo, that’s a bummer about Tracks. Maybe we can meet up there before it closes.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:02 am

Yeah, I left the east just before the heat came in. But hot here too, 112 today (but it’s a dry heat…..)..

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:15 am

Sure…or Finnerty’s if there’s a significant game in our future.
      Sad how we can only have Micro-loozas back here…

13. Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:58 am

you fell through the attic? What was that like?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:01 am

It was kind of trippy. One moment I’m in the attic, the next I’m hanging by my fingertips from the beams. My body shimmied through the hole thus banging my ribs back and forth against the beams before I dropped to the floor. Good fun.

14. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:59 am

I just don’t get why the Giants wouldn’t call up 3B Zach Green.With Longo out for a good stretch it makes perfect sense.Panda is best suited as a spot starter twice a week at most, and off the bench PHitting to keep him most effective.Time to give this kid an extended look imo..

15. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

Sorry to hear about your fall thru the attic P/A and cracked ribs (ouch) I was visiualing a Chevy Chase moment but I think it was only a leg that went through,are maybe it was in the Dirty Dozen I forgot?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:14 am

My brother was astounded, because he said his girlfriend, her brother, and her son all have broken thru that attic floor. But of course I was the only one to go all the way through. Hey, go big or go home…

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:16 am

Is your brother’s name Fredo by any chance?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:17 am

lulz

16. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:23 am

The beams didn’t break? What happened Paul? Broken ribs is a major pain . . . sorry bout that.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 20, 2019 at 11:51 am

Ah, just a little cracked and very bruised, but not broken. Time heals all wounds…

17. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:23 am

AK, how’s Green’s defense? Is that the issue?

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 11:10 am

Yeah that might be part of it Chuck,I only saw one article that said between splitting time at 1B/3B he’s made 11 errors in 43 games so 1in4not good.
      But his stats are,as he was hitting the same as Yaz’s stats when he got called up and has plenty of RH power..
      He’s just blocked right now at both positions.Unless you take a player like Austin feast are fathom and demote him if they can?(dumping Pom would be my call)maybe not to make room for Green.

18. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:27 am

jcvd

19. snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Moon landing day. I was up in Oregon, fishing with my Dad at Crane Prairie Lake not far from Bend. In a camper at a campground. That night, we were listening to the wall to wall coverage on the transistor radio. I think it was KCBS blasting through all the way up there, coulda been KOA out of Denver or some Portland station, though. I remember looking up, it was a pretty full moon, I was just a kid thinking it was cool and wondering what those guys were doing up there. It was amazing then, still is. I’ve been looking through a bunch of youtube stuff on the event. All sorts of good stuff. An iPhone 6 has something like 8 million times more computing power than the on board “computer” they had on the LEM lander. They gave the first moon landing pilot job to Armstrong because he was demonstrably the best pilot of the group. Good thing. He took over manual control of the lander with about 90 seconds to go, they were flying over a mile long stretch of supposed flat landing area that turned into an unlandable field of boulders as big as VW bugs. He piloted the lander over the boulder field and got the thing down with less than 30 seconds of fuel left, all while a bunch of false alarms going off from the lander computer that the Houston control guys were telling him to ignore. Aldrin was just reading off the course and speed and altitude specs as all this crap was going on. The pressure had to be enormous, but those guys were trained and had laser mental focus. Here’s to Aldrin and the memory of Armstrong, two dudes with balls of steel…

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Yeah and not let forget astronaut Michael Collins are they don’t get a ride home..

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:28 pm

your post makes me now understand why Buzz did this:

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Loved that. Former Air Force, Buzz was 75 or something at the time, wouldn’t take any more crap.
        The world is full of nutjobs and morons…

20. Stan Shell said, on July 20, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Season lost. Pure gloom.
    Then streak! Consternation reigns.
    Somewhere TF laughs.

OSF

21. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 12:38 pm

1. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    2. Buster Posey (R) C
    3. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    4. Alex Dickerson (L) LF
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF
    7. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
    8. Donovan Solano (R) 2B
    9. Jeff Samardzija (R) P

22. zumiee said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Today’s game is on both their flagship station and FS1.

23. Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:24 pm

24. zumiee said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Giants facing a rookie pitcher they’ve never seen before. That usually goes well.

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:35 pm

This will test the win streak. If they beat a never-seen-before guy, somethin’s cookin’…

25. zumiee said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:40 pm

I have Buzz Aldrin’s autograph. He signed a book he co-authored. He’s co-authored several books. The one I have is a science fiction novel. He used to do book tours; I don’t know if he still does.
    Neil Armstrong became very reclusive later in life. Seldom seen by the public.

• Macdog said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:45 pm

A friend who’s a huge autograph collector posted on Facebook a picture of the three astronauts with Neil Armstrong’s autograph.

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:57 pm

That’s gotta be a pretty rare autograph. Armstrong pretty much shunned the fame brought to him by the moonwalk.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:36 pm

I wonder if Teddy autographed any of these…

26. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Good to get a good supply of Dick back in the LU!
    In his 1st 60 AB’s he was 24-60 just incredible Mr Hobbs…

27. zumiee said, on July 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Does anybody really enjoy watching Belt’s ABs? I find them very un-fun.

• Macdog said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Buster’s ABs are getting like that, too. Good thing he can still throw out baserunners.

28. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Like I’ve said Belts license plate should read 3and 2

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:27 pm

With lots of foul balls.

29. Macdog said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:23 pm

There’s the Smardjz we know and loathe.

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Regressing back to his mean? …

30. zumiee said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:49 pm

The awesome “Dutch” Holland.

31. Macdog said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:51 pm

Speaking of regressing back to the mean . . .

32. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 2:58 pm

4 Bombs ain’t gonna cut it today!
    At least they sniffed .500 for a few hours..

33. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 3:07 pm

I’m sure they’re tired after the road trip and extra inning games.
    Understandable, I guess…

34. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 3:07 pm

No shit. In the back of my mind it feels like they’ve tried so hard to get here that they may have blown their wad, and they fall back. I hope they get things going tomorrow.

Dick Dick Dick has what, 2 DPs?

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 3:12 pm

I was thinking about that yesterday, Chuck.
      Like an NBA game. One team gets way way down early.
      Then make a run to get even in mid third quarter. So much effort to get back even, they’re done.
      We’ll see. Giants rarely win a game where the oppo starter is an unknown. I thinks that’s at least as good a predictor for Giants outcome as BF’s viz rating or whatever the hell that is outta Coors Field…

35. snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Ty Blach pitching for a ticket back to Sac and make me forget him…

36. snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 3:50 pm

The Dick strikes again!
    But, too little, too late, alas…

37. snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Now Lil Yaz goes Yard!
    Gives hope for tomorrow…

38. Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Ah, yes, I remember this feeling. The one reminding me we suck.

39. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:10 pm

We were at the Boardwalk all day 50 years ago, and we were stuck in traffic on the way back. We listened to the radio in the car, and got home 5 minutes before Neil Armstrong took those famous steps. I read tons about it was amazed at the balls on Armstrong to take over flying the lander to a safe spot with limited fuel and barely any range to alter their course. Crazy stuff.

And I totally get why Armstrong went into hiding by watching that video above. Everywhere you go clowns accuse you of some sort of grand deception perpetuated on the world. My reaction would be similar to Buzz’s.

40. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:10 pm

41. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Glad they had Blach to burn on a game like this.

42. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Is this news?

Giants prospect Conner Menez will replace left-hander Drew Pomeranz in the rotation tomorrow, the San Francisco Chronicle’s Henry Schulman reports.

Menez, 24, has risen steadily through the Giants system with little fanfare until quite recently. The lefty, who’s said to have “plus-plus extension” (per FanGraphs, though the site didn’t rank him among the club’s top 35 prospects) and a “high [fastball] spin rate” (MLB.com, where he ranks 21st in the system), led all minor-league left-handers with 171 strikeouts last season. He’s leveled up further in ’19, setting down 123 hitters in just 85 innings for Double-A Richmond and Triple-A Sacramento.

Pomeranz, who signed a one-year, $1.5MM (plus incentives) pact this offseason, has furthered has rapid descent in San Francisco. In 72 1/3 innings for the club, the 30-year-old’s been torched for a startling 17 homers in the Giants’ massive park while walking 35 in the process. His 4.60 SIERA, reflective of a typically-stellar K rate and unsustainable 21% HR/FB, is optimistic of a rebound, but it’s the second consecutive 6+ ERA campaign for the lefty who was once swapped straight-up for a then-top 20 prospect. Pomeranz’s average fastball velocity and strikeout rate are both career bests, but his once-vaunted curveball his abandoned him: per FanGraphs, the pitch has been among the league’s worst since the start of the ’18 campaign.

The sizzling-hot Giants, winners of 14 of the club’s last 16, will now line up with Menez, Madison Bumgarner, Jeff Samardzija, Shaun Anderson, and Tyler Beede in the rotation as the club surges toward the second wild-card spot. It isn’t a mix that inspires much hope, though perhaps the club’s lights-out bullpen – the only NL unit with a sub-4 collective FIP – can safely be counted on to soften the blows. Schulman does note that, per manager Bruce Bochy, the club rotation’s mix “remains fluid” and the Giants will look to rest starters and limit the innings of the three rookies.

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:33 pm

yes. Very excited to see this guy pitch. A little surprised he’s coming up this early but this is probably another sign they are ready to wave the white flag on this season and see what we have down below.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:49 pm

The story does have a wave the white flag vibe, doesn’t it?

• unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Ditching Pom pom pom pom pom eranz is great news. White flag or no. In fact this is likely gonna help.

Still 11 days to see where we are.

43. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:20 pm

Long road trip 3 in Milwaukee,4 and a doubleheader to start in Colorado, Get back and right away 16 inning then 10 innings, Damm they have to be on fumes,I’m just watching and I am,this is just a grueling stretch right now, but they have been awesome until today.

44. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 4:59 pm

DJ, McCormick would have been my guess.

45. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Tommy Bolin? Billy Bolin? We had a Bolin. Can’t remember his name.

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Bob Bolin was a pretty good pitcher, but the answer is a guy you never heard of:

46. Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:06 pm

I don’t think Zaidi gives 2 shits about what me and the Facebook housewives think. He’s trying to build a foundation for a winning team, he doesn’t have time for sentiment. Hopefully he’s got some Bill Walsh in him,

47. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:08 pm

Ahh. Bobby. And no, he never had an .823 winning %age.

bb

• unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:12 pm

Why the long face?

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Bolin pitched the game of his life keeping pennant hopes alive on the next to last day of the 1966 season, but it wasn’t meant to be…

• willedav said, on July 20, 2019 at 6:09 pm

wiw don’t recakk what famous hitter it was but he said bolin threw BBs, just like his initials.
        Matty and Mota, both hitting lights out plus Clemente and Clendennon fun line up.
        don’t remember what exact year it was but me and buddies were playing Strat-O-Matic in those days and Mota had a tremendous card. His OPS here as part time player was .854

48. snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:27 pm

I don’t think for a second that this Menez kid coming up is a coincidence. Zman wants to see what this kid can do, if he trades Bum. If Menez craters maybe you ask for a lefty prospect…

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Great point, I think…

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 6:09 pm

excellent point. Although he’s definitely considered a prospect, I doubt they’re pinning their decision on what to ask for Bum on this one start. Still, there is no reason to call him up at this weird time unless there’s something wrong with Pom (besides smoking copious amounts of pole, not that there’s anything wrong with that!!!!!”)

49. willedav said, on July 20, 2019 at 6:12 pm

Z also said he wanted to limit innings of young SPs so that could be part of it too. And he sure ain’t throwing Holland back out there.

50. willedav said, on July 20, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Anderson and Beede have both pitched 60 innings. With 60 games left they could theoretically make 12 more starts. Anderson last year threw 140 in minors, Beede less than 100.

51. snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 6:36 pm

All the Flappers that wanted to spend $300+ million for Harper — look how much he’s helping the Phills now. He’s doing OK, but for that contract? Giants would be in a friggin’ budget bind right now. Instead, ZMan has some maneuvering room, even with the bad contracts he already was handed. And, he’s cobbled together an outfield that is at least presentable, a huge improvement…

52. snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 6:43 pm

Jason Stark wins the Taylor Spink award, the HOF award for baseball writers.
    Well deserved…

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 6:45 pm

wrote a blurb for one of PK’s books, I think

53. Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 6:44 pm

this is crazy

54. willedav said, on July 20, 2019 at 7:03 pm

mm nothing wrong with OF for this season but if you have higher aspirations than .500, they need at least one more hitter out there and it doesn’t matter what position they play. by end of season Z should have better idea what he has out there and what he needs to do to improve it. I like Dick and Yaz but they are probably playing over their heads right now and couple more months would give more realistic numbers to crunch.

Improving OF goes along with getting better production out of 1b 2b and SS, all underperforming so far. The giants can ill afford to have too many defense first players in LU, especially if they lose some pitching which is probably inevitable.

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:01 pm

but that’s why we need to stop this silly 2nd WC spot me and the Facebook housewives are chasing. It’s idiotic. The margin of success/failure is thin, we need to maximize our assets. That means trade whoever has value. Now, I wouldn’t advocate for that I am a proud facebook housewife, I’m just advocating what a smart baseball mind might say. Twinner would say go for the second WC but that’s because he knew his life was nearly over. If you’ve got 10-40 years left, LET Z MAKE HIS TRADES!!!!!

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:47 pm

That’s a big spread, Flavor…

• willedav said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:32 pm

I understand. I also think there a quite a lot of NL teams, including everyone else in our division beside LA, about whom you could say “we suck.” Btw everyone else in division did lose today. Rox and Pads both 46-52, AZ 1 game better than SF at 50-49.

55. snarkk said, on July 20, 2019 at 8:59 pm

That out pitch looked like a fast screw ball. Marichal used to throw a Scroogie like That but almost totally on a 12-6 overhand plane. Thing was unhittable by lefties and would tie up righties in knots…

56. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 9:53 pm

I don’t care if they lose every game from now to 7/31.
    I wouldn’t trade Bum just to trade him.
    The offer has to be good.
    If not, I make a big push to sign him before leaves.
    Wouldn’t be the first guy they overpaid for…

57. Macdog said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:03 pm

• djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Good. Panda needs a siesta.
      Hope Pom-pom gets the DFA…

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:58 pm

Pom needed to go before they signed him!!!

58. djloo27 said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:07 pm

Pete Rose said Marichal was the toughest pitcher he ever faced and he hit .341 against him (42-137) with 4 HRS…

59. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2019 at 10:56 pm

You see I bitched enough about calling up Zach Green somebody in the orq listen to me! It only makes sense with Longo out, and the Giants don’t feel comfortable playing Solano at 3rd..
    And yes Juan Marichal was one of my favorite Giants growing up and watching him.pitch.He was every bit as good as Koufax,Gibson,Jenkins,Drysdale,Seaver and others, the Rosboro incident killed his chances for Cy Youn awards as well imo. Also he could throw any pitch,Fastball,Curve,Screwball,Slider and I think he even messed around with a knuckle curve are slider and he could drop down sidearm with all these pitches and still be accurate.He truly was amazing ,and that leg kick I tried and could never master as a kid, ticked me off some but none of my buddies could either…

60. willedav said, on July 21, 2019 at 8:55 am

Sorry to hear Paul got hurt, ribs are a beatch to try and heal, but “Fredo” was a great line.