51/50

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 23, 2019

Of course it would have to be 51-50 for the first time we’re over .500 this year. This has been a crazy run. What is currently worrying me today: Z gets goaded into standing pat at the deadline and the Giants swoon in August and we’re left holding a bag of shit. Whatever, I guess that wouldn’t be the end of the world—as long as he doesn’t pass up any good offers for Bum and/or Smith I’ll live if he keeps them around for the rest of the year.

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:29 am

It’s the Best of Both Worlds.

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:31 am

Hah! Waiting for the eruption of runs tonight.

2. snarkk said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:39 am

Probably a consensus that you need around 85 wins to get into the WCII.
    To get there, Giants need to play 34-27 rest of the way = .557 ball…

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:39 am

Was any reason given for not going to Smith last night? Nice to see Dyson close it out anyway.

• snarkk said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:47 am

load management…

• Macdog said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:51 am

Pav’s story said Dyson pitched the 9th “with Will Smith due a day off.” Likely due to pitching in 3 of the last 4 games.

4. James said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:54 am

A worse outcome: Bum is traded, the team sinks back to a level that reflects the talent on hand, and “clubhouse chemistry” makes a huge comeback, threatening Zaidi’s authority and position.

5. sandog said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:55 am

Greetings from Mexico! Sounds like we’ve been runnin’ with the devil and still finding a way to win games. Very little internet access for me, so it has been a big disconnection from social media–which ain’t all bad.
    Back feels fine and I swung the club pretty well in 3 different rounds down here. Beach/pool hangout day today, which will be nice. Head back home tomorrow. Have we made any trades at all in the last few days?

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:00 am

No trades, just AAA call ups and DFAs.
      Zach Green is up to help at third. Holland was DFA-ed.

• sandog said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:09 am

Thans Zum. Wow–no more Holland. He had his ups and downs on and off the field, but all in all I think the guy was pretty decent for us.

6. gianthead said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:12 am

We hit the monthly magic number of 23!!! 7 games over for Boch. Just win now baby (and trade now baby) because I am fully expecting out starting pitching to go I to a tail spin at some point soon enough. Get what prospects we can get and see if a Puig or another bat can be had with mid-tier prospects.

7. Bozo said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:26 am

The Giants are 29-16 since June 1, 15-3 in the month of July and have won 9 out of their last 10. Not to shabby.

8. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:30 am

Seems like many seasons in the past 8 or so years the team did well to start the season then completely cratered in June and July and took themselves right out of it. This year is so different just for this mid-summertime run. Seems more pleasurable to do it this way instead of the previous ways….

9. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:31 am

Then you better trade Bum soon, cause Puig&Bum cannot coexist in the same dugout.The team chemistry is great right now, it takes a huge step back adding a cancer element.Dont see Zman interested in doing that..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:41 am

Yup, totally agree. I’d guess that Z had his fill of Puig in L.A.

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:51 am

Or Farhan thinks he could max Puig’s effort and value

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2019 at 10:36 am

Doubt it. Puig’s act is not worth his talent.

10. Bozo said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:40 am

From an article yesterday by Kevin Crowley –

Why does president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi feel a team with a 50-50 record is a legitimate threat in the NL Wild Card race?

“The team is fundamentally different, the roster is different,” Zaidi said. “That’s why I don’t think you can just look at this team’s run differential and make an assessment of our quote-unquote true talent level.”

11. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:49 am

He’s right about that. In the month of July, the Giants lead the league in runs. By 9 runs!

Team is batting .284 .342 .493 .835

Let that sink in for a minute.

12. gianthead said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:52 am

When was the last time the Giants have been on this kind of run???? Sept of 2010? Really incredible. Usually what the A’s have done but they always come up short.

13. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:58 am

Mac Williamson to play ball in South Korea for 2 months..The rise&fall continues.Wonder if Jarret Parker is going with him?

14. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:59 am

We were dead last in runs scored. We’ve moved up to 22nd. No mean feat.

15. zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 10:04 am

Crowley’s Merc article today makes it sound like Zaidi will still listen to phone calls about trades, but he’s not making any calls now. He’s changed course for now. These next 7 or 8 games are so huge regarding what happens. I wonder what a hypothetical number of wins in that time is enough to keep the roster intact. Half the games until 7/31? That would still leave them in the .500 range, and intriguing.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 10:05 am

Yesterday, I meant. From the same article Bozo quoted from.

16. willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 10:08 am

IF Bum does well tonite vs. Darvish I don’t think he goes anywhere; this isn’t about FB babes, it’s Z abandoning possibilities of hanging with the better teams, most of which Giants have beaten lately. Bum went 9 solid last outing. He will likely never ever have to do that again rest of his entire career given how game is played today. Cubs btw are 18-28 on road this year. Despite being one of NL elite, certainly vulnerable away from friendly confines.

Still amazed at the rally last night. Sando pulls double to RF, Craw beats the shift with single up the middle, Slater (in a big 2-25 slump) slams one over CF head to deepest part of yard, and Panik (Bucky Dent?) slaps game winner off Strop, who Maddon inexplicably left in there all this time.

In story line of Stros blasting A’s in Chron today is mention of fact Houston does NOT have one LHP in pen. That’s gotta be a hmmnn and something they address immediately.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 10:28 am

A case could be made that last night was the Giants most impressive win of the season so far. It’s the kind of game they’ve usually lost in the last 3 years. Down early to a division leader that looks like it’s going to impose its will on the Giants, and then the Giants grind their way back and win the game. No spectacular highlights, just the Giants refusing to lose that game last night.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 10:30 am

Perhaps an extra sense of urgency, knowing they have to keep surging in order to keep the roster together. THIS is already the playoffs for the Giants.

17. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 10:39 am

Few expect Madison Bumgarner to be traded.
    One exec from another team said:”No way they trade him, the Giants are on fire 🔥 he said to Jon Heyman…

18. willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:09 am

Since Puig’s name came up…I watched again the confrontation btw. Strop and Puig from 3 weeks ago. Cubs were up like 8-0 late game. votto I think hit 2 out double, Maddon had Strop pitch around puig but didn’t for some reason order the automatic walk.
    So with count 3-0 Puig stands there like he isn’t going to be pitched to, and instead Strop drills him in the hip with 94 fastball. Puig walks (not charges) toward him throws down his helmet, gets intercepted right away by Cubs C. Strop comes off mound as well.
    soon everyone is on the field, and while 3 of his teammates are holding him back Puig is screaming at Strop from 50 ft away. In clubhouse after, Strop says a couple times, “He’s stupid. Everyone knows he’s stupid.”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:20 am

Meanwhile the Reds are at the bottom of the NL Central, pumping iron in the dugout and having to deal with Puig’s idiocy. I have no problem with player’s being a-holes but they better have the appropriate a-hole to talent ratio and Puig doesn’t imo.

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:27 am

What was that shit with the Reds sleeveless jerseys? Looked like WWE day. Too funny to see the Reds get silenced like little kittens 3-1 by the Cards while preening like beauty queens in the dugout.

• willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:08 pm

the pitch before that ran count 3-0, Puig stepped out and was clearly unhappy he wasn’t going to be pitched to and yapped about it, plus as pitch is coming in doesn’t look ready to hit at all. So Strop instead of walking him, beans him. Not near head or hands, right on butt cheek and didn’t seem to faze him. Just fun to watch, gotta admit. And Strop didn’t run/hide from it ether.

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I need to find that. Perfect response by Strop.

19. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:16 am

However the Giants are still in talks over their relievers.. Tampa Bay is one.
    In a “need for need”position and added depth with uncertainty about Longo and Panda better used off bench are a couple starts per week, Solano/and Green being allitle Green they might be interested in infielder Michael Brosseau 25 who has hit at every level and currently hitting .317 with Tampa..

20. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:22 am

I’d like to see Panik replaced.

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:24 am

Schulman was mentioned somewhere here recently and Mac heading to South Korea today. Here’s an underrated post from Shulman on The Twitter.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:41 am

Gearran is on the Mariner’s MLB squad.

22. Stan Shell said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:32 am

Like I said about a week ago- – this surge has strengthened Zman’s hand. He DOESN’T have to do a friggen thing! If someone calls with a great offer, then he can pull the trigger. Has to be a 1-3 best prospect in a system or a ML regular that would help our team. Other than that, the hell with trading anybody.
    I wanted them to blow up this team at the start of the year, however, with the new guys he has brought in he may have caught “lightning in a bottle”. Odds are they will regress to a lower level, but you don’t cash in your chips when you are on a streak. The streak may end tomorrow but if you don’t try to compete “you never know how the game will turn out.”
    The latter words of wisdom were acquired at the Victory Card Club in San Jose in the 60’s.

OSF

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:46 am

23. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:46 am

Giants 23-10 in one run games, best in baseball!!

24. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:53 am

17-4 PFI.

25. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 11:59 am

The reds pumping iron in the dugout was one of the dumbest things I’ve seen a baseball team do in years. They’re getting their asses handed to them nightly and instead of focusing on the game they are preparing like they’re headed out to the stage in a final pose down against Arnold in the Mr. Olympia. Just absurd.

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:16 pm

But they did win the costume competition.

“Yeah, we’re 43-56 but we look good!!”

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 1:15 pm

And the FB moms just love it.

26. willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Might be off a bit, but WAD I believe is now 19-6.
    He is supposed to be able to uh rise to the occasion and be back in saddle for tonite.
    According to Chron problem was right oblique resulting in side soreness and thought he might have strained it compensating for back which he says is fine and not the issue.

• alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:21 pm

Think it might have been from that awkward slide at 2nd on his hustle double?

• willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:32 pm

yeah could be Kat that was funky. Nobody better than Yaz, barehanding line drive off the monster and gunning down batter trying to take second.

• willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:22 pm

nah WAD is 20-8 (.714) since first brought back June 21 monster 6 rbi game.

27. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Though they do have the perfect dumbbell to use in Puig..

28. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Dickerson Lit the Match. We iginted-Brandon Crawford…

29. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 23, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Unrelated to baseball for just a moment… I need to unload a bit, ya’ll can skip over… Pawlie, I remember you talking about the many issues of dealing with an aging Mom. Not sure how many other Flappers have done so as well. My family is now caught in insurance hell with my Mom and there’s just no clear solution. I was back east last week for her 89th b-day at her assisted living place; she was mostly ok (early dementia and also physically confined to wheelchair now) but after I flew out here to AZ, she fell again (she forgets she can’t walk and tries to get out of bed at night) and is in the hospital again, but they say they can’t keep her, she has to go back, but her place is saying no, they won’t take her back unless someone stays with her 24 hours so she doesn’t fall, as in… someone needs to sleep in a recliner overnight in her room. And we’re out of money while Medicaid drags its feet. (9k a month for her assisted living place.) I’m waiting for updates from my siblings to see when I will probably have to fly east again (my last 2 flights after the hell flight from Vietnam? SF to Newark took 16 hours, and Newark to Phx took 15 hours. If that happens again, I’m jumping out without a parachute). My Mom basically just wants to die. Seems to be few options for death with dignity in cases like this. I’ve started thinking about my own “end game” so no one has to deal with this kind of stuff when it’s my turn. Very sad and draining. BUT, the Giants are rollin’, godblessbaseball…. thanks for allowing this moment of release.

30. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Sorry to hear that, Paulie. The whole idea around health care for the aged is horrible in the US. MediCal saved our asses when my mom got real bad. That and my sister taking her in when she had run out of money.

Assisted suicide is legal in California so that’s the route I’ll try, and if that isn’t in the cards, there always the single-car accident.

31. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Paul that is an absolutely awful story, I am so sorry your mom and you and your sibs have to deal with this. Terrible.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Thanks, Craig. The whole situation kind of puts things in perspective.

32. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Yeah, Charlie, the healthcare/insurance thing in the US is so horrible when it comes to caring for the aged. Especially when I compare it to Asia, where the people take care of their own and can afford to do it because of the lack of red tape and bullshit from the big pharma and insurance companies… Single car accident, haha. Thelma and Louise type solution…

33. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Any team that buys at the deadline, when the only chance they have is the wild card game, is stupid. It’s a one game winner take all game! Sure, you win and anything can happen. But that seems like an awful lot of eggs to put in one basket—for the hope of playing one damn game.
    We should be building the foundation of a team that can compete with the Dodgers for the division. We are not even close to there yet. I am with the FB wives in spirit because I said I’d be until July 31 but the reality of this is just too much for me to take. SELL GODDAMN IT!!!!!!!

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Cue Ralph Bellamy’s character from Trading Places…. “Sell! Sell! Sell!”…

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:10 pm

34. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:21 pm

What year was that the Giants did that big trade at the deadline for Wilson Alvarez, Danny Darwin, and … Hernandez, forget his first name, giving up a bunch of prospects. Didn’t pay off in the end…

• alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 3:24 pm

P/A..Ramon Ramirez and the year was 1997
      Also sorry to hear about your mom and the tough times your going thru, it’s not a easy thing to go through at all.
      My sister&I had to deal with alot including their own “Stubborn Southern Pride” )Texas& Tennessee)roots growing up.But it got to a point where my mom could not help my dad around the house( he did the cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping etc..we did bring in maids to help)and then my mom fell out of bed one night, thankfully didn’t break a hip, but my dad could not lift her back in bed and called 911 after that we finally convinced them to move into a assisted living home in 2012, wished we did that a few years earlier.It was a very nice place in Reno( good food, cocktail nights with a piano bar,the Staff was great etc..One line I’ll never forget my Dad said:At are age “The Woman look like Men ,and the Men look like Woman”
      Sadly their lives ended in 2014 my Mother 1st on freaking Mothers Day!! My Dad 3 months later of a Broken Heart 💔after 65 years of marriage..

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:05 pm

Wow. 65 years? that’s insane. Good on them for a long happy life together. We’d be 95 if we make it that far.

• alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Thanks Chuck..Yeah it was quite a beautiful life together they had.My Mom was 89 and my Dad 90 at the time of their passing.

35. zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Zaidi’s not going to sell right now and do that to Bochy. I don’t think Z can be expected to do that, as much as we’re anxious to do more rebuild at this time.
    Yeah, Walsh would do it, but Walsh had a lot of capital built up with fans. Zaidi doesn’t have near that kind of capital yet.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Why should Z give a single shit what the fans think? Most GM’s don’t care what the fans think and if they made their decisions off the popular opinion of the fans they should be fired immediately. Look what happened when Lacob traded Monta Ellis. He was literally boo’d out of the arena. But that’s all that happened. And the rest is history.
      Same thing can happen to Z. He’ll get some flack, he shouldn’t give a shit because he KNOWS the right move is to sell……

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:51 pm

Of all the sports, baseball is the most narrative-driven. The narrative is turning into Bochy’s last hurrah. How can Zaidi mess with that?

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:59 pm

Zumiee, I love baseball, I love the Giants but i don’t give 2 shits that it’s Bochy’s last season. Time for him to go, all good things come to an end, etc. In order for us to have a future to be excited about we need to OVERHAUL the system as soon as possible. Dragging it out another year, and missing an opportunity to sell whatever valuable assets we have, is just going to delay our slingshot back to the top. Improving our system this year means 10 times whatever this folly of a WC chase is and/or this being Bochy’s last season. I’ve watched Bochy manage many seasons. I’ve seen enough.

36. zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:30 pm

17-3 changes things.

37. zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your mom’s and your family’s struggles, Paul.
    It’s ridiculous how expensive everything medical is these days. U.S. healthcare is built around profit, and our nation suffers because of it.

38. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Final Boch thought: If the Giants had a reasonable shot to send Bochy on some glorious post season run, that’s something I could get behind. THAT would be a narrative worth watching unfold. But the chances of that are so so slim. Just to get the last wild card spot is a long shot AND then all you get is one game where you likely burn Bum ruining him as the starter of the NLDS should you win that one game.
    It’s just not worth it to me to hold on to the few valuable guys we have just for the long shot chance of the above unfolding…..

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 3:47 pm

I’m not really disagreeing with your logic. For most of this season I was saying Bochy is getting $6 million this season so why be concerned about tearing it down for the rebuild? But things have changed dramatically. At this moment I don’t expect Z to mess with what’s happening. Yeah, it delays some of the rebuild, but I’m willing to not hold that over Zaidi. This situation right now is unprecedented in Giants baseball.

• Bozo said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:27 pm

I don’t think anyone other than Boch, the players and GH give a rat’s ass about Bochy’s win count. I doubt Zaidi even thinks about it, but the organization and most fans do care about getting to the playoffs. Even if it means going through the one game play in. Last I looked, nobody gets a free ride all the way to the WS.

The Giants already have a core of four in the most recent top 100 list of Baseball America. So the system isn’t as bad as some complain it is. Yeah it still needs work, but in my opinion, not enough to cash in all the chips right now.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 5:16 pm

The Bochy narrative I meant was Bochy getting a last run at the playoffs.

39. Stan Shell said, on July 23, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Paul, I can sincerely feel your problem since I have watched my ex go down that pathway. Fortunately for her my daughter dedicates a big amount of time helping her at a facility.
    That same thing can easily be my fate, but my GF and kids know I want the “magic” pill that is available in Oregon. Don’t have any advice for your Mom but take care of yourself. You don’t want to be sitting for 2-5 years hoping to die.
    On a better note- -we are only 2 1/2 games out of the WC.

OSF

40. blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Paul, it was good to chat with you earlier . . .

In hindsight, the sell off should have happened in the off season after what I am labeling the “NY anti-Flapalooza” get-together in July 2016. Yes, we had a blast in Boston and New York. It was great to be with Chi, Mac, San Dog, Giant Head and finally meeting the “Chinese Midget” Loo. However, we were like anti-matter or Krypton, having zero effect influencing the results, as the Giants flailed against the Red Sox and Yankees.

It’s also true that the Giants finally got it together in time to make the 2016 playoffs. Their collective last hurrah was beating the Mets in the Wild Card game; and almost getting past the Cubs in the Division Series. I guess this was sufficient for the Giants Front Office to double down in the disastrous 2017 season. After that putrid season, I was unequivocally convinced to do the sell off (as I stated on here plenty of times). However, SabEvans weren’t convinced and they tripled down in 2018. Last season was painful, especially where we were absolutely destroyed in September, with the Dodgers putting an exclamation mark on the last game of the season, 15-0 . . . Pfffttt!

So, this is where I stand in 2019 . . . SELL, SELL, SELL.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 5:45 pm

yes, sell sell sell. I came around by the end of last season. And welcome back, Blade, you have been gone quite some time

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Well, we’re both right in my opinion. Thanks Craig.

41. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:25 pm

ugh

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Don’t worry, Flav. If Zaidi’s approach to the outfield is any indication, his commitment to winning could lead to unexpected moves that turnover the infield.

• alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:38 pm

Agree Dirt..The moves if any will be Zman dealing a reliever for younger infield depth who’s has a controllable contract and is versatile to play many positions..

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:48 pm

I think this means the offers aren’t good enough and Bum may be open to at least considering a Giant offer before going FA…

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 5:21 pm

42. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Matt Duffy makes his 1st start of the season in game 104!
    Good luck Matt! May the Flap be with you!

43. djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Dwight Gooden might be the most pitiful, stupid person on the planet…

44. zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 5:43 pm

I saw Gooden pitch at the Stick in the mid-1980s. He was so dominant that day. The Giants had no chance. Kuiper probably started at 2b that day.,
    I really have no particular memories of Kuiper as a player for the Giants.

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Jesus. Saw him pitch as well. Saw a couple Strawberry games as well. Such a talent. Falling to this.

“He pissed himself. He was clearly buzzed, really kind of fucked up,” an Essex County law enforcement source told The New York Post, which first reported on Gooden’s arrest. The source added that Gooden was “cooperative and polite” with police and claimed to suffer from diabetes.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:10 pm

The man has 33 years experience as an alcoholic/drug addict.
        If he can’t be cured, he should at least know what he’s doing by now…

45. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 5:44 pm

I still don’t understand why we can’t trade Bum for something decent and then if ownership really wanted to bring him back they can offer him a deal in the Winter.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 5:52 pm

IF they get a Wild Card game, they need him to pitch that game. He’s thrown 2 shut-outs in the Wild Card game.
      I think that’s the thought. At least, Bochy is probably putting that in Zaidi’s ear.

• alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:03 pm

I don’t think Bum takes whatever the Giants offer in the winter.He’s only loyal to Bochy,not whoever the next manager will be.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:20 pm

that’s probably true, so why don’t we get whatever we can for him NOW?

• alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:52 pm

I feel your frustrations BF and believe me a month and 1/2 ago we’re all in on the Sell Sell Sell bandwagon, a no brainier,but a 15-3 run that doesn’t seem to be a mirage anymore.Zman may still trade it’s just going to be Bum.He’s probably not getting the deal he wants for him, but Smith on the other hand should bring back nice prospects are a ready established player.
        Bum right now is 1.55 era last 5 starts,the way he’s throwing and the potential W/C spot and teams knowing they have to beat the best of all time in a 1game go home,they will feel like their the one to go home, are even better lose in their home parks(Pittsburgh &NewYork)

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:58 pm

As we all know, even if the Giants were to make the WC game, there’s no guarantee that Bum will be available to pitch it. They might need him just to get there – never mind setting up a rotation.

Geezers remember ’71 when they had to burn Marichal to clinch on the final day of the season, then couldn’t start him till Game 3 of the NLCS…

46. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Well, you know Boch would love to go out in style and, I’m sure he’s just happy he ain’t riding herd on a 100 loss team. This is gravy.

But yeah, no offers, no deal.

47. djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:19 pm

9. Madison Bumgarner (R) P

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:21 pm

2014 infield.
      2019 outfield.
      Makes me nervous…

48. zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Blade! Great to hear from you!

49. djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:30 pm

Just for tonight, they should separate the infield from the outfield with a cornfield…

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Who’s been the most disappointing of those infielders in those 5 years? Panik, I guess. But they’ve all disappointed to some degree.

50. djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:47 pm

Per BR:

Playoff Odds: 11.6% to make postseason, 0.2% to win World Series…

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 6:59 pm

51. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:12 pm

And here goes The Dick again with a ringing leadoff Double! Oblique feeling good!

52. Macdog said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:14 pm

Wow, Giants moved the runner to third after after a leadoff double and then scored. That might be a first this season.

53. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:14 pm

Dick Dick Dick great slide!!
    The guy just does it all..

54. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:27 pm

I love it Everytime I see “Dick in the Box”
    They have to keep him healthy at all cost.
    Heard Steven Duggar was a táxi squad call up cause the Giants were concerned enough about Dick’s health, but the gamer he is says, nah I’m good to go..
    So what is exactly is a Taxi Squad callup? You can only get to the ballpark no matter where you are by Taxi??

55. Macdog said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Dick bomb!

56. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Big Dick Time.

57. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:53 pm

The Dick Bomb 💣

58. Bozo said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:53 pm

The Dick is awesome.

59. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:57 pm

1.0

60. Bozo said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:59 pm

FWar1 with a big drive.

61. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Yeah Baby Pillar delivers and Yaz was hustling all the way…

62. willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:11 pm

shut down inning from Bum pitching with lead now.
    Flav, do me a favor and elaborate on your “building the foundation” 2:12 post. Suppose Giants are able to trade Bum Watson and Smith what are you expecting in return?

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:17 pm

3 legit prospects of varying grade. I’ll leave the specifics and the actually grading to the experts who follow minor league ball.

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:29 pm

We should get a starter out of Smith. Pref a 1st or 2nd baseman.

• willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:31 pm

so in other words 3 guys who would potentially be in starting LU by 21/22? Sooner?

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:32 pm

sure, could be sooner.

63. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:17 pm

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:25 pm

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:31 pm

So, making moves destroys our future and is false hope?

64. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:26 pm

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:43 pm

Yes, his teammates unwind by jiggling his belly and balls in the shower room…

65. willedav said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:32 pm

That is a nice play by Pillar to hold Heyward to 2b. He crushed 2 pitches In a row.

66. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:36 pm

We haven’t had a lead this early for a while now.

67. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:41 pm

Big Country still makes the big pitches when he needs too.,

68. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:42 pm

If that’s the end you guys cool with that being the end? Or do you want a couple more months of the big fella?

• alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:07 pm

I’m at peace knowing the big fella is staying put.
      He’s not being traded,so others just need to get over it and cope with it the best way they can..

69. Flavor said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:47 pm

Green was helpless in that at bat.

70. alleykat69 said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:53 pm

Ok Moronta is officially fatter then Panda!

71. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 8:59 pm

Maybe Panda should pitch. Johnny C facing live batters now.

And this plays a part in the Bummie decision.

Fuck. Got that lead too early.

72. zumiee said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Heyward’s not even that good against other teams.

73. Macdog said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:03 pm

Bats gotta get going again, been quiet since the Pillar double.

74. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:08 pm

High gas for Belt and he lays off.

75. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2019 at 9:15 pm

The top of the order flat sucks.