August Push

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 4, 2019

I haven’t seen a game in 10 days except the last 2 innings of last night. A quick check of the WC standings reveals…..we’re basically in the same spot we were when I left. 5-5 over the last 10, that’s not gonna get er done.

If nobody else gets hurt and The Dick comes back we probably have enough pieces to hang around into September. Maybe even till the end of September. But we need more 7-3’s and less 5-5’s.

What’s Cueto’s deal? Is he close to returning? Prolly gonna need him, too.

1. gianthead said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:34 am

She a comment on think Mercury News that Cueto would be used just in relief. Any accuracy? Last night was a big win to hold onto in that bandbox in Denver when things have squirrely there many times in the past. Today would be a nice win and take a little pressure of the next 2 series. Win today than winning just one against the Nats would be palatable but 3 of 4 against the Phillies is a must!!

2. gianthead said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:36 am

Besides screwing up the game time for my attempted Flap Fest now numbering Blade and I with our sets of family and friends, I did not realize Bleacher seats are not first come first sat. So my group is supposed to be up in the right field arcade…

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:55 am

ONLY people who DON’T WORK can go to those types of games GH . . . I am retired and you’re with the government, e.g., zero gun laws, no climate control, etc.

HAHAHA . . .

3. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:57 am

Cliff Branch found dead in hotel room…

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:07 am

Great player. A shame he isn’t in the HOF. Swann had similar stats and he’s in??? Also, I wonder if that Santa Rosa fire where he lost everything, had anything to do with this?

• Macdog said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:30 am

Yeah, that doesn’t seem right re HOF. Stallworth has similar stats and he’s in. too.

4. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:43 am

Hey Mac (good morning), Flav was asking about Cueto and I read something about him being on the roster prior to August 31st or he wont be eligible for the playoffs. I can’t find the article, so I am uncertain about this. Most news sources are saying he is coming back in September, which makes him ineligible.

Can you or someone else – smarter than myself – confirm that this is correct? This is the only thing I have from the rule book:

“For a player to be eligible for the postseason active roster, he must have either been on his club’s expanded roster or injured list as of midnight ET on August 31 of that year and not placed on the 60-day injured list after August 1.”

• Macdog said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:50 am

Cueto’s been on the 60-day IL all season, so I guess he’d be good to go if they somehow make the WC game.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 10:02 am

Thanks Mac!

5. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:43 am

GH that’s where we were to watch AZ with flav SD Unc and Snarkk. I thought it was fine, plus…the RF (Yaz that night) would throw ball up there after btw innings warm ups. Day game little more likely to see bomb from LHs too. Dick scorched one right over our heads that night.
    Duggar grab atop wall in CF was #2 on ESPN top plays this morning. Saved bum couple runs as Rox were teeing off on him.
    Yeah Cliff Branch was awesome. sprinter in college at Colorado (?), I think he ran like 9.3 100.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:48 am

I didn’t see the game Willie . . . Bum didn’t look good in your opinion? Yes, Branch played for Colorado.

• willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:16 am

5 innings 8 hits 5 runs 1 BB 2 bombs and Duggar saved another one that was going over CF fence. Giants gave him 4 run in first inning, but he was gonna be on the hook for the loss til his buddy Posey (who oddly enough wasn’t catching him) bailed him out with 2 run double in 8th..
        Posey apparently fouled a pitch off himself night before and wasn’t 100 pct..

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:48 am

That Duggar catch was huge. Ball sounded like shit off the bat. What a farce of a season…

• willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:18 am

park too. Let’s see how Gennett does at the O. When it’s 55 degrees for a midweek night game he’ll realize how far away from Cincy he is.

6. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:52 am

Funny story from Mac end of last thread about Parra, who faced 5 guys in blowout all of whom reached base and scored but since he never got anyone out he doesn’t have an official ERA.
    I’m reading Ron Darling’s book 108 Stitches and he talks about a scenario like that where a regular pitcher just gave up in a blowout game. whole team noticed it and he was traded away…to the Red sox, and Mets got the chance to light him up in WS, and did. Didn’t realize Darling has written other books; this one is quite good.

7. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:25 am

Although Bum wasn’t great, he kept them in their when his defense was making a mess (DuggarScoots a couple of real bone head plays)then his usual jawing with the ump, but on a hot 94% game time start that might irritate me as well…
    Could be a reach , but does anyone think Scooter Gennett looks like that guy from Malcom in the Middle..Frankie Muniz??

• willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:41 am

Blade Kat is right here. first run off bum should never have gotten on–Duggar missed a catchable ball in short CF when he got distracted apparently by Yaz and hitter got a double and later scored on IF out. Arenado scored a run from 3b later when after a single to RF Gennett took cutoff and threw wildly to Vogt who had to vacate the plate and go to his right into foul ground to field the throw. Arenado had slowed down but saw enough room to make it in there ahead of Vogt in race to plate.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 10:01 am

Thanks Willie!

8. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:31 am

Wow…Did we trade some damaged goods away??
    Sam Dyson goes to the DL with strain bicep muscle!
    Somebody’s got some explaining to do.
    He hadn’t even pitch a full inning.02 and given up a shitload of runs hits and walks with an ERA of 81.00..yikes

9. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:34 am

I think there is way more to park factor and Kruk’s famous line ” good pitching weather”, esp in SF than people think. anywhere else near bay area typical summer day temps are mid 80s and up to 100 in Valley and Sacramento, dry heat fortunately. Yesterday here in south bay it was 85– today in SF the high will be 67.
    and by night time when sun goes down and wind off the bay picks up, downright chilly and into low/ mid 50s. Mark Twain was not BS ing about summer in SF.

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 10:30 am

I’ve worked out side all my life weather never bothers me hot are cold rain are shine.But freaking HUMIDITY when I’ve gone on vacation to Boston and other places back east is brutal.Its weird when you’re having a Sam Adams at midnight in 90% heat 90% humidity in Quincy Market and needing a shower with it, just like out of that movie Body Heat..
      Sorry east coast flappers, you can have that weather, I’d rather be in Sunny California, where’s weather’s best by government test!!

10. Flavor said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:35 am

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 10:01 am

Pirates use to be our patsies . . . Now the Twins (DRod, Dyson)???

• Bozo said, on August 4, 2019 at 11:02 am

After the Pierzynski trade, I think we have some catching up to do for us to think of the Twins as our patsy.

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:44 pm

The all knowing one was also procured from the Twins.
        And don’t forget Gladden-Hickerson and others…

11. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 10:43 am

Bum said himself he was “shitty” yesterday and couldn’t take one good thing out of it. However, he and Smardz both were great in July. bum had 2.70 ERA for the month and SF won 4 of his 5 starts.
    Smrdz ERA was 2.09 in 38 innings with 4-1 record and Giants won 5 of his 6 starts. He shut out Cards and Phils.
    Cueto is supposed to pitch game vs. prospects in AZL today.

12. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 10:48 am

Shea said there are now “59 big league hitters with at least 20 HRs” this season, and the A’s have 6. Sando leads SF with 14, and “Someone needs to power up or the Giants will be without a 20 HR guy for the fourth straight year, which would be alarming. Last man to hit 20 for the Giants?”

I couldn’t remember but he did provide the answer.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 11:09 am

They (MLB) are losing people like me. I hate all the changes going back to the lowering of the mound in 1968 or 1969. Ironically, WE ARE THE ONES THAT WATCH THE GAMES MOSTLY.

Even peripherally, they are losing fans . . . Here’s a personal example involving my purchase of the tickets for August 14th’s game:

My mom contacts me and says, “Steven, can you purchase the tickets on StubHub for us. They wont send the tickets to us. They want to provide them electronically over the phone whatever that means and we can’t print them.” Essentially, what my mom is saying is that she and my stepdad don’t use their smart phone for anything but telephone calls and surfing the internet occasionally. They don’t even know how to upload photos. Fast forward to me purchasing these damn tickets, I even had issues, as I do not have the StubHub app, which you have to download to receive the fucking tickets. I lost 2 hours of my life because the app hung up and I had to contact customer support online via internet chat (another headache). In short, those 2 hours are gone and I wont ever get them back.

More important, when SF Giants.com contacted me for a follow-up survey on my experience using StubHub, I read them the riot act, telling them you are losing the one demographic that enjoys your game – the old fucks like me and my parents. Idiots.

End of rant . . .

13. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 11:15 am

Posey?

14. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 11:17 am

It isn’t Belt. He hasn’t hit 20 yet.

15. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:14 pm

That’s the start you like!
    Solano going Yard!!

16. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Think it might have been Crawford with over 20 bombs..

• willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:15 pm

yes Kat in 2015.

17. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:24 pm

And now not a good start for Beede..

18. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Yikes a double and 2 bombs, black shoes off to a rough start..

19. Flavor said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Beede’s in uncharted territory in terms of the number of innings he’s thrown this year compared to last year. This was bound to happen at some point this year. I still like Beede but counting on him to be lights out through Aug and September was a fantasy…..

20. Macdog said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Donie 2 bombs!

21. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Damn. Two Jacks Solano.

22. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Amazing!

23. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:54 pm

here comes the high fastball

24. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Donovan Solano needs to be playing everyday right now 2 Bombs just crushing balls.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:58 pm

He can play SS, right? Give Craw a blow. Every day…

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:02 pm

He’s there now!

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Then I guess the answer is Yes !
        I’m listening off/on via radio. So, I didn’t know he was at SS…

25. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Sans-a-Belt would be a good look for us.

belt

Done and doner with him.

26. snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:00 pm

All of a sudden about a month ago, WordPress stopped allowing me to login with my iPhone. Just will not allow it, whether I’m on wifi or on cell service. I put in my user and pw, but phhttttt. No login. Anybody else having issues logging in via phone? I can access the blog to read it, but cannot login…

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Yah, I haven’t been able to log in on my phone for about 6 months, unless I get the cookies and privacy popup. Which I get about once every 500 logins.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Yep, that’s it.
        If I get the rare popup where you click on “Got it”, the login goes through.
        I’ve been logging in via phone for years. Now phhhtttt.
        WTF?

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:19 pm

For what it’s worth, I’ve put a complaint/question into WP Forum on this…

27. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Jesus.. Another mass shooting in Ohio 9 dead including the gunman’s sister..

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:27 pm

If there was a solution to this, I think they’d have it by now…

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:47 pm

They could at least TRY.
        Pass an assault rifle ban. Give it a try. They might be stunned at the results.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Thoughts and prayers aren’t working nor is treating it like a traffic accident – “Nothing to see here, move along.”

28. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Black shoes hanging by a black shoelace…

29. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Beede ain’t big and bouncy today.

30. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:06 pm

He can’t find the plate.

31. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:07 pm

He fund it there. Luck for him, foul.

32. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:12 pm

New pitcher if he doesn’t get Arenado. Book it.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Very big DP

33. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:14 pm

He couldn’t put guys away either. He got ahead of Story and Murphy but they fouled off 2 strike pitches and got on. Now he’s down 5-2. Hey this is a learning process, and Coors is tough lesson for everyone.

34. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:19 pm

You have to put a hitter away when you have a 1-2 count,Beede just can’t seem to do that anymore.

35. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, the damage (especially at Coors) could have been much, much worse. Longo bailed him out that inning.

36. snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Beede has the stuff to succeed. It’s a question of mentally harnessing it, seems to me. ‘
    He just needs to keep pitching until he figures it out or doesn’t.
    Throwing too many “hit me” pitches, which tells me he loses concentration…

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Yeah same could be said about Anderson, has the stuff, just can’t harness it all the time. Growing pains with Rooks, but I think with more experience Beede& Anderson will get there.
      Like to see another raw guy get up for a few more starts in Connor Mendez ..

37. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:23 pm

One other thing, yes it is Coors, but you still have to make your pitches. Beede couldn’t do that and even had a wild pitch that cost us. Last time he had zero control was back when we played the Snakes I think (late June?).

38. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Excellent fielding play by Yaz to prevent the run from scoring. Blackmon can motor and any bobble by Yaz would have been a run. Nice!

39. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:40 pm

That was huge for Saurez. He needed that big time, as he’s been scuffling all season, especially the last couple of games.

40. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Nice job by Suaerz to get a big out and keep at 3 runs down.He’s pitched well in relief so far..

41. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:48 pm

I give up Loo . . . Who is the “all knowing one?” The only one I know like that is our own Twinfan.

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Flavor’s superb nickname for “Nunie”…

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Duh . . . I should have known that.

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Could work for Twin as well since none of us knew anything about baseball.Still think when Snarkk came up with Oracle it was perfect..

42. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Damm Solano just missed a 3rd bomb, dude is raking the ball..

43. snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:01 pm

Suarez throws a 3-1, 94 mph straight cookie to Arenado at mid-thigh level right down main street.
    Sorry, but that is just a dumb pitch at the MLB level to this guy. He crushed it, like he should have…

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Yeah, he was another guy – even more than Derek Rodriguez – I thought did a good job last season, but was doing it with “smoke and mirrors.” In other words, I couldn’t figure out how his stuff was beating teams.

44. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:04 pm

I think Zum or AK had mentioned that the San Diego series was the first one we lost after winning 7 series in a row . . .

Fast forward today, we lose this game, that’s 3 series in a row we will have lost (going back to the SD series). It wont get easier, as we have the Nats, Phillies, and A’s on the schedule at home.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:16 pm

That great run in July was fun while it lasted, but was a lot of smoke and mirrors with one run wins.
      I want to see the new acquisitions — Davis and Dubon — up here as soon as possible, to get those guys MLB experience so next season they are ready to go. Davis was 3 for 3 and 2 for 2 (with an HR) in his first 2 games with Sac…

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:19 pm

Yeah, me too. Love me some Jaylin. Dude is raking. You know he was one of the top prospects in MLB pipeline before a shoulder injury. Mr. Z knows all and remembers all . . . Consequently, he grabbed him and Dubon.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:27 pm

Yep, Davis looks like a real prospect.
        Get him up here, he can take over for Slater or Duggar. Either one I wouldn’t miss, regardless of Duggar’s D, especially. Slater’s D is suspect, IMO, and he’s never going to hit for power, just like Duggar. Get some damn OF pop up here …

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Snarkk, the bigger point is what you said about getting these guys EXPERIENCE THIS SEASON, so they are ready to go come spring training and next season. It’s not like they would be taking a veterans spot on the roster or even jizzing on someone’s playoff fantasies.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Agreed, that’s why I said that.
        There will be more offseason changes for sure.
        Zman will surely try to offload more of these near useless vets with huge contracts like he did with Melancon. Get younger, quicker, with more power, and do it sooner than later. Zman does not wait to bring young people up until their metaphysically ready, like SabeEvans. He brings em up to see what they can do, and I like that. Davis and Dubon look ready to be tossed into the MLB pool to sink or swim, so let’s get it on with them. Guys like Duggar and Slater and Pillar, too, are placeholders, Zman surely isn’t going to rest his laurels on those dudes — he’s looking to upgrade that ASAP, for sure…

45. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Giants won the Pads series. And cubs before that, Mets 3-1 before that, swept Rox here 4-0 yada yada.
    but yes, lost to Phils and now down in this one.
    giants still are rarely gonna out bomb teams so pitching needs to be pretty dang good. Beede wasn’t up to task, relievers blew game for Anderson Friday night.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:21 pm

You’re right Willie . . . Looked at it incorrectly, so yes, only 2 series in a row.

• willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:52 pm

but L today would mean losing road trip.

46. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Damm they can do no right.Yaz smoke that ball, a foot higher 2nd and 3rd,the foot lower a DP,game of inches suck some times..

47. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Z has brilliantly positioned the team so that they can simultaneously go for it and pack it in without anyone really noticing much difference…

48. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Snarkk, if I had to guess, besides Panik, the 2 players that are on borrowed time – are Crawford and Belt. They will either be gone next season or will have competition ala Panik this season. That’s another thing that pissed me off about the last 3 seasons – God forbid anyone was brought in to compete for the so-called “core positions.”

The fucking core is rotten.

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:01 pm

After this season:

Belt: 2 more years at $32 million (Limited no trade – 10 teams)
      Craw: 2 more years at $30 million (Full no trade)

Neither guy has a buyout…

49. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:49 pm

That’s 3 DPs giants have turned today; Solano looks great at SS. I’d like to see Dubon too, who is supposed to be better suited for 2b. F/G guys were not down on McCarthy either who can play 1b or OF…bout time Belt developed hamstring problem. Just hasn’t had much of a road trip as he grounds out into the shift. argghh

50. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Well Belt’s play is just hustling to the bank and cashing in his ridiculous contact the Giants gave him..

51. zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:56 pm

I had the same problem some of you have with logging onto the blog with my phone. I found another way in. Go to the WordPress website, wordpress.com, log in, and it will show the WordPress blogs you belong to, then click on this one and you’re in. It has a different look; it’s bare bones. No photos of the rings and flags, etc. And you don’t have edit capabilities using this way.
    But that’s how I get in using my phone, like right at this moment.
    I can still get in the regular way using my laptop, and have the edit feature.

• willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:09 pm

thx zum. Question: I’ve been following along at work on my phone and noticed ton of ads as I scroll down through the comments on a thread, unlike if I’m on laptop (like now). Is that something that happens all the time? Having just arrived to cell phone era is this to be expected, on all sites?

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Yeah, there are ads on the regular blog interface, but no ads if you go in through the WordPress website.

52. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Yaz straight line to the ball . . . Not like some of these dufus outfielders we’ve had patrolling left – with a “banana pattern” to balls hit out there.

53. Macdog said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Dick-less Giants Impotent at Coors (except for Solano).

54. snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Ok, I just got into the login via your method, zum. Thanks. It’s a little weird, but at least I can login…

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, it’s weird at first, but I’ve gotten used to it. No editor feature, though, which is too bad. Misspellings can’t be fixed.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:42 pm

Incorrect Zum . . . Scroll down to the bottom of your phone and click on “View Full Site” . . . Now you can edit again and it looks like the page here on your laptop or desktop. You are right about logging in though per what you wrote earlier. By the by, you can click back to the mobile site (again, at the bottom of the page) if you so desire. Personally, I like the mobile site for my phone because the fonts are bigger, but the disadvantage is that you have to do too much scrolling, as it does not normally place you at end of the last blog comment.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:46 pm

“View Full Site”

I’m not seeing that link, on my phone.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:48 pm

All I see at the bottom is links to other WordPress blogs.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Probably because you are using an Android phone, correct? See Flav’s comment below. I have both – OIS device with Safari and Android with Chrome/Google. .

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:58 pm

If you are on the “mobile site” and using an Iphone, you need to scroll down to the bottom and you will see “View Full Site.” It is right below “You are following this blog” and the same line being repeated, with a link to “manage.”

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:01 pm

I see none of that, I kid you not.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Okay, try one more thing . . . Check to see if you are up to date on your OIS version. Go to “General” on “Settings” and click on “Software Update.” I can’t imagine that you don’t have the latest version, but who knows. Otherwise I can’t explain it. I could show you a screen shot, but don’t know how I can post it here.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Okay, I just sent you a screen shot to your Messenger address Evan.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:10 pm

Thanks. I appreciate it. I have to admit my technology skills are pretty low.

55. Flavor said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:43 pm

I’ve never had an issue logging in but I left the iPhone in the past like 5 years ago. Fuck iPhones, I say. The Google phone is better and significantly cheaper

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:54 pm

I have an iPhone.

56. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 3:47 pm

KNBR guy (Marty) saying Belt will probably be traded over the winter. Went onto to say (and I’ve been saying it, along with Flav, etc.), this is a position where you HAVE TO HIT. Fed up with slumpy shoulders – get rid of him.

57. snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:12 pm

This team can’t move forward while 3/8 of it’s regular lineup (Panik, Craw, Belt) can’t friggin’ produce, and is pulling down $35 million/year. Add Longo in there, and half the lineup stinks, earning nearly $50 million. Next year, that has to change…

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:26 pm

I’d throw Posey in there as well.

That’s half the lineup.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:33 pm

I rarely listen to KNBR, except for Marty . . . he usually tells it like it is. He’s brutally honest (in a SF kind of nice way) regarding the lack of hitting on the part of the veterans.

58. zumiee said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:14 pm

I end up watching a lot of A’s games on TV. They put pressure on an opponent in a way the Giants don’t.
    Dick was someone who brought some danger to the Giants lineup.

59. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Giants get a break they don’t face Strasburg are Corbin.Shark 1st up and has been great lately 4-1 in July with an ERA of 2.00 in the month.Game 2 looks like they might go with Mendez, I’m cool with that and Anderson in gm 3.Huge series I’m thinking 2 out of 3 is doable.

60. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:30 pm

Some moron on KNBR telling Marty that the pitchers need to hit more (better). Huh? On the pantheon of issues I see for this team, the pitchers hitting is at the bottom of my list.

61. Flavor said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:30 pm

Losing Dick has led to the obvious results

62. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Weird issues w/Wordpress. I have no problem getting on and commenting on my blog but this one gives me issues. And yeah it works to go on wp to log in but I hate not being able to edit.

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:47 pm

Yeah I had some issues here and on your blog Chuck, seem to have it ironed out now.If I see the + emblem at the top of the blog I’m in at yours and Flavors, just occasionally I have to dick with it now at WordPress..

63. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Man this 20 year old kid Andres Munoz for the Padres throws some serious gas, he hit 104,103,102 back to 104 and just to take aliitle off to get one in 100..Wild one in the latrine 10-9 Pads top of the 9th..

64. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2019 at 4:42 pm

And logging in thru WordPress you don’t get the mobile/full site option. It is straight bare bones. At least thru iOS.

65. Flavor said, on August 4, 2019 at 6:28 pm

66. Flavor said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:46 pm

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:57 pm

The guy has hit 26 dongs at AA and AAA combined so far, in 101 games this year, in 373 ABs, that’s one dong every 14+ ABs. Let’s bring this dude up. He’s had 1517 professional ABs in 4+ professional seasons; I say that’s enough to warrant time in the bigs…

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:57 pm

So 7 for 10 and 2 walks .700 avg 🤔 hmm
      and hits the shit out of the ball and a outfielder with speed! Please call him up soon Giants theirs definitely a need!

67. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:50 pm

There’s still a glut of IFs–Longo is back (fine with me) Craw Panik Gennett Sando Solano with Green sent back down to Sac. Nothing wrong with Davis or Shaw coming up while Dick is out; both deserve a look while SF is missing power guy
    . Btw McCarthy Davis Yaz Slater Dick you gotta find top 4. Pillar is gone, along with Belt and Panik and unlikely Gennett stays unless he gets decent payday from SF which I’d doubt. Dubon and Solano handle 2b and Solano backs up SS if Craw is still here.
    Regardless of how things go next couple months, look forward to new faces in giants unis next season.

• willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 7:55 pm

Giants C is a position of strength btw Posey and Vogt. Bart has struggled with A ball pitching (unlike Ramos), lot of Ks/few walks. Give him another season in minors at a higher level to work on some things. No reason to rush him, yet.
      Ramos goes up a level or so too and pushes himself into equation with the above mentioned OFs by mid next season.

68. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:04 pm

Sounds like pitching might be our biggest problem down the road…

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:15 pm

If Dick doesn’t come back our hitting will go back to being led by the stagnation of Belt, Posey and Crawford and the young pitchers we have counted on will run out of gas (or just be shut down). This was a foolhardy chase that will end with Bochy’s Goodbye Tour as the main reason to keep watching. And that is not a reason to keep watching.

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Dick seems like a mirage.
        Yaz should stick as a 4th OF at worst…

69. mrsprtdude said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:04 pm

Lost 3 straight series. SHIT… Every day I’m more irritated we didn’t pull the trigger on Bum and Smith. Every non Giants fan on earth thinks we blew it

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Maybe we blew it. Assuming there were decent offers on the table and I don’t think we can assume that.

70. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Where’s these we lost 3 straight series coming from?
    They took 2out of 3 from the Pads to start the trip, lost the last 2 , but a 4-5 road trip is still respectable going back home to take on the Nats with their top 2 pitchers not going,this could be a very doable series coming up..

71. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Up to now, I haven’t seen top of the rotation potential in any of our younger guys.
    Am I missing something?

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Forget about the next Timmy, Cain or Bum – I don’t even see a guy with the potential of a young Jonathan Sanchez…

72. willedav said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:52 pm

I’d leave Slater in there. Like to see if he belongs at top of order or not. Got off to hot start, most of production so far has been on road. He does have 10 XBHs already in 75 ABs, so there is some pop in bat. See if he can keep the OB up as well, and play a decent OF.
    More of Yaz in CF pls. Pillar imo reps same problem as Craw–fine enough defensively but not near good enough hitter to be in LU every day. doesn’t hit for avg, very low OB, slugging down near Posey level. 2 HRs 0 SBs in July.

73. snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 8:58 pm

The only OFer I’d keep is Lil’ Yaz, and he’s a #4. Rest of ’em are #5s that should be easily replaceable or bettered with a farm system that isn’t a shambles, which Zman is working on. The outfield must be improved with more power. It is a requisite in the game being played today…

74. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:06 pm

Can’t wait to see who the next manager’s gonna be and how quickly it’s decided.
    Bochy’s been here so long it’s never been discussed – even on the Splash.
    I’m still on Tom Goodwin…

75. snarkk said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:19 pm

I’m for Vogt. The guy is club glue guy, will probably get the WMac award, and knows ball…

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2019 at 9:31 pm

I like him too, Snarkk but he might still be too valuable as a player.
      Goodwin’s paid his dues and I think Z knows him…