Harper’s Revenge

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 10, 2019

Man, that second one from Harper was just majestic, wasn’t it? Picasso could have painted that bitch and hung it in the damn Reina Sofia….

Here’s why Bryce Harper would have been a bad signing by the Giants: Even with his 2 homer game last night there are, I couldn’t believe this number when I looked it up, 47 major league players with more home runs than him. Think about that. So for 350 mil or whatever he was going to cost, while I absolutely supported the idea of signing him at the time, I feel like we dodged a huge bullet there. There are way too many guys for a fraction of the cost who do what he does and who do it better…..

Plus he’s a douchbag.

Velasquez going today for the Phils today. Every time I see that guy I throw I don’t understand why he’s not more dominant. He’s got fantastic stuff. I guess it comes down to command—something our young Black Shoes could work on….

Can you imagine how much fun Joe Panik had last night? Getting cut loose from the shackles of this boring ass season and thrust into a game like that? In his hometown? Man, that must have been a wild ride. Good for him. I’m certainly not rooting for him but I’ll follow what he does…..

This is really good:

Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 11.16.59 AM

1. djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 8:21 am

It’s crazy to give a 13 year deal to a douchebag who turns 27 in 2 months.
    How many titles would he have to contribute to for it to be considered worthwhile?
    We’ve kicked this around about Zito in some way…

2. djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 8:22 am

Am I the only one who had to Google “Reina Sofia”?

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 8:39 am

Been there back in 1977 . . . What nailed it was Flav associating Picasso to the museum, as the museum has a large collection of his work, including Guernica. He also could have gone with Picasso and the other major Spanish museum, the Prado – which has a Picasso collection. lqtm.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:20 pm

3. blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 8:26 am

Actually, this has NOT been a boring ass season in my opinion. Last season, especially September and all of the pathetic season before last season, were definitely “boring ass.” This season we have a team where the players change weekly, if not daily. A general manager who is willing to experiment and also provide minor league players an opportunity to “put up or shut up.” In all my years as a fan, I don’t think I have ever seen this much wheeling and dealing. Last, but not least, the Giants actually had an out of this world, pull it out of your ass, July to remember for the ages. Did anyone honestly believe (besides Bozo) that the Giants would have a run like that???? If so, I’m calling you a liar.

Shit, I don’t like being almost 20 games back, but at least the Giants organization is making moves to get better, so I find that fascinating.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:08 am

A GM “willing to experiment” via “wheeling and dealing” that borders, on the edge of the cusp of the lip of, the ledge of overdoing it, to the point of diminishing returns.

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway [this is often misquoted as “Never mistake motion for action,” but I did some fun research since the internet typically misattributes quotes or gets them slightly wrong: https://whatwouldbaledo.com/2015/07/10/six-things-hemingway-never-said/%5D

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:22 am

That ‘What Would Bale Do?’ blog is pretty damn good.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:23 am

. . . and insert my end bracket, please; thanks

4. pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:09 am

I’m rooting for Panik. Why not?

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:29 am

Panik is wildly overrated in terms of his career SF actual production. He did have a big say in one of our WS wins with that incredible DP, I will always appreciate him for that. But root for him? Eh, Panik does nothing for me.

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:30 am

and full disclosure, I root for almost no ex-Giants except as it might relate to me playing them in daily fantasy

5. alleykat69 said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:17 am

Yes Blade I agree about the wheeling and dealing that Farhan has done creating alot more enthusiasm for a team that was so stangnant to watch.He obviously started out slowly with the Joe’s,Reeds,Krispy Kratz’s etc, but he kept tinkering constantly looking for combinations that would work while trying to get this freaking old roster thanks to Sabesevans younger(12 out of 25 man over 30) and he did a fantastic job at the deadline getting Atlanta to eat all of Melanoma’s contract, still can’t believe that one, Pom-a bomb&Dyson(now injured) for Dubon&Davis hell yes,even Scooter and dumping Panik was the right move.Yeah I’m all in on Zman, he doesn’t screw around,eventually this team will be stamped with all his young players he drafted are traded for and that should really be special!!

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:23 am

By the by AK, I was shocked by the number of over 30 year olds you noted yesterday. I am certain that he will eventually get that number down, but it will likely take time, with all these onerous contracts.

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:35 am

Krispy kratz, lololol

6. zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:44 am

Fun Fact: the Red Sox are currently farther away from a playoff spot than the Giants

• djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 10:07 am

Farther vs. further has always been a problem for me.
      Something else to look up…

7. djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 10:31 am

Today’s starting line-up with current age:

1. Brandon Belt (31)
    2. Mike Yastrzemski (28)
    3. Buster Posey (32)
    4. Scooter Gennett (29)
    5. Evan Longoria (33)
    6. Brandon Crawford (32)
    7. Kevin Pillar (30)
    8. Austin Slater (26)
    9. Jeff Samardzija (34)

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 10:37 am

Like the new look LU Loo . . . We’ll be able to quickly determine how long each player has before Social Security and Medicare kick in.

• djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 10:42 am

Thanks, Blade.
        BTW, they may not be Giants next year, but Scooter and Dick both turn 30 next May…

• zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 10:40 am

• Macdog said, on August 10, 2019 at 11:03 am

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 11:20 am

that looks absolutely awful. I never saw it did it have any redeeming qualities at all?

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 12:56 pm

as I said, everyone over 30 on our team SUCKS. (cept Vogt and Pabs)

8. Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 11:46 am

rabbit ears.

9. alleykat69 said, on August 10, 2019 at 11:49 am

I looked up Yaz as well, he turns 29, but damm I knew I liked the guy when I noticed we share the same birthday Aug 23..
    You know I could work with an outfield of Pillar,Yaz,Dick if they can keep him healthy and Jaylin Davis we have to get younger with ”Heliot Ramos Fizz”not far behind!

10. alleykat69 said, on August 10, 2019 at 12:30 pm

From Baggs Cueto hit 92 mph in 2 innings in Arizona went to the BP and threw 15 more pitches, now heading to San Jose will throw 40 pitches there are so.Bochy is confident he will be pitching in SF in September..

11. zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 12:56 pm

”thirtysomething” was a TV response to the success of the movie “The Big Chill.” Baby-boomers growing up and adulting. I think I saw one episode and it was pretty good. But I watched very little TV in the 1980s.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:06 pm

hated it, I can’t even remember why

12. blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 1:09 pm

Did a ball dude die? Just wondering because the ball babe looks significantly younger.

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Maybe Mr. Z is a zealot with regard to getting this club younger and isn’t going to stop with the players.

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 1:20 pm

I’m sure ball dudes are dying all the time. Multiple a week.

13. blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Boom! Smarg is as Smarg does.

14. blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Longo wracked that one.

15. zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Longo stuns GiantsNation.

16. Macdog said, on August 10, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Flav, I never watched that show either, haha.

17. zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 2:25 pm

The low fastball is in Pillar’s wheel-house.

18. Macdog said, on August 10, 2019 at 2:58 pm

This is what we needed from Smardzj to start the homestand vs. the Nats.

19. blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:01 pm

Shaking my head here after looking at the LU/boxscore and seeing the same ol’, same ol’, with Belt’s name penciled in at lead off and Posey batting 3rd. You have a guy like Slater, who has a .388 OBP and he’s batting 8th. Huh? Worse, Pillar leads the team in bombs (actually tied with Pablo) and he’s batting 7th??? It’s bad enough, that your #2 bomb hitter, Longo is batting 5th.

Does Bochy even think about this shit? Or, does he lie to himself, saying, “Posey and Belt are going to start getting hot . . .”

Unfuckingbelievable.

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Another “ofer” likely for Belt today. That’s like 3 for his last 23 at bats.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:15 pm

he’s outrowanding Rowand

20. pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Loo: farther refers to distance, and further refers to degree. Something like that. The distinction is breaking down; it seems only a pedant would get exercised over it. Or a copyeditor. Or copy editor. (For Macdog.)

21. pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:11 pm

Love getting into a YouTube music rabbit hole. Listening to the Stones’ ‘Out of Time.’ Especially love the beginning: snapping finger and xylophone, or marimba

• zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:27 pm

I go into the rabbit hole a fair amount. Lots of cool performances on YouTube.

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:45 pm

Yeah, love listening to YouTube music. Spotify and Pandora even more. Zero need for a stereo system, as I usually blue tooth from my Iphone to my Doss speaker or for YouTube, just use my desktop speakers.

22. zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Batting Belt lead-off is the last desperate act to get some value from him and his contract, because he walks a fair amount. The weakness in his hitting is pretty stunning.

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:27 pm

I don’t know what Bochy’s motivation is. Belt is just being Belt, albeit, a significantly diminished Belt. What I’m POed about is Bochy essentially sleepwalking through his last season as manager. Zero innovation or clue about his roster and especially, “core” players. I would imagine Z doing a slow burn about this, but is using all his will power to not make suggestions. That shit will end when he gets “his guy” in as the new manager.

23. Macdog said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:24 pm

I guess it’s too much to ask of Posey to bunt with a runner on first and no out to try for a much-needed insurance run in the 8th inning.

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Yep. Posey with another ofer too.

24. blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:31 pm

Smith is awesome!

• zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:41 pm

25. Macdog said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Pheast or Phamine for the Phils this series.

26. blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Shout out to Wilco and SanDog . . . Wilco you escaped Houston, rated in the top 3, insofar as “overworked” cities and SanDog lives in paradise already.

27. snarkk said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Missed the game.
    Saw matinee of Tarantino’s new flick — Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
    Leonardo and Pitt are really good.
    The girl who plays Sharon Tate is stunning.
    Awesome late ’60s soundtrack.
    Joe Bob snarkk says 2 thumbs up…

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Loved that film snarkk . . . The acting was superb and Tarantino captured the time period perfectly. I was also struck by how much older Leonardo looks compared to Brat Pitt . . . Even more shocked when I looked up their respective ages – Leo is 44 and Brad is 55, i.e., Leo must be burning the candle at both ends . . . he better slow down.

• snarkk said, on August 10, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Yeah, Tarantino back on his game.
        That Hateful Eight was not the best.
        I did like Inglorious Basterds a lot. I’ll let this new one sink in, might see it again to see things I might have missed. I thought all the supporting actors were good, too. Pacino was awesome, I laughed at his remark on the shooting stuff — Scarface anyone? I read where Bruce Lee’s daughter is none too happy about his portrayal. Can’t say I blame her. The guy portraying him seemed spot on, regardless of the bona fides of Lee’s part in the plot…

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2019 at 5:30 pm

Yeah, the Bruce Lee scene was hilarious and I understand why his daughter was pissed off (as he was made to look like a braggart and . . . umm, not exactly invincible). His comment about Ali was also bullshit. Lee idolized Ali and would never say anything negative about him, especially saying he could kick his ass. Regardless, that scene was priceless (without giving anything away to Flappers who may want to see the movie).

I actually loved Hateful 8, but with so few westerns being made now-a-days, I pretty much savor any that are made. So, I may not be the right person to ask for a review of westerns.

28. djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 5:43 pm

Aristides Aquino???

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 5:55 pm

can you imagine a Giant doing that in his first 10 games? Or ever?

• djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:20 pm

He’s up third this inning…

29. Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 5:59 pm

When we got Pillar I guaranteed he’d be our most exciting player. Most scoffed. He leads our team in every single offensive category we have: HR’s, SB,s Doubles, hits, RBI, Runs scored, and total bases (by a country mile)…..He’s also electric defensively.
    And yet I still read stuff where Flappers think he sucks.
    We got him for nothing,
    Swallow your pride and admit this was a fantastic pick up by Z

• djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:30 pm

Your boy Pillar has absolutely exceeded expectations…

30. sandog said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Any n-word usage in the new Tarantino movie? Nobody does more to promote the use of the n-word than Tarantino. Amazes me that he is so worshipped and loved by everyone.

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:39 pm

I mean, his first movie was arguably the best movie ever made. So the love started back in ’92 right?

31. djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Braves getting a taste of Melon…

32. djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:23 pm

They walked Aquino on 4 pitches in a 10-0 game.
    Disgraceful!

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:32 pm

That really is

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:38 pm

it is

33. Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:40 pm

why is bourne said to be guaranteed a WR spot on the Niners? I think he sucks.

34. pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2019 at 6:49 pm

I just saw The Farewell. Far better, in my view, than Once Upon a Time . . . (Yes, two infinitely different kinds of movies; apples v. oranges.) Tarantino nailed the music and the zeitgeist of 1969. I was 20. Having Cliff Booth make constant references to “hippies” feeds into a convenient and simplistic narrative. “Hippie” was a Time magazine type of word wherein anyone not a crewcut Nixonian was a “hippie.” My father had a bumpersticker on the car: AMERICA: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT, and I was a hippie for letting my hair grow to combable length. What I’m saying is: Tarantino gives credence to the culural civil war that is still being played out, big time. The Manson clan as “hippies” cannot be equated with some kid smoking pot in the Haight, or in Cedar Rapids. It’s the same reason I thought Forrest Gump was dreadful. Simplistic stereotypes of the era. Neat littyle pigeon holes. But that’s all small potatoes compared to Quentin’s cartoon violence. At the movies, I said to my friend Tara, when does the violence enter? hold on. It’s Tarantino. And then we were “treated” to what we wanted. Get this: people laugh. They laugh at it.

• djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 7:49 pm

I’m so glad someone else despised Forrest Gump!

• unca_chuck said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:21 pm

THe reason I didn’t like it was because the Robin Wright character was such a terrible person.

• snarkk said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:39 pm

Forest Gump sucked…

• zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Great post, Pawlie.

• unca_chuck said, on August 10, 2019 at 8:45 pm

But to the mainstream, especially at the time, they all WERE hippies. I think at this point, everyone knows the story, and it didn’t need to be parsed. And well, the violence IS funny. Context plays a big part.

But that’s just me.

35. Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 7:06 pm

And now we have a second rook with 3 bombs tonight– Alvarez. This is just beyond stupid what has happened to baseball.

36. sandog said, on August 10, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Mets win again in amazing fashion. Another comeback, late. Luis Guillorme, who sucks, hits the first homer of his career to tie it in the 8th.

• djloo27 said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Hated them from day one. In 1969, I may have been the only New Yorker rooting against them.
      Probably had some mixed feelings in ’73 because of Mays, but I really don’t remember.
      Horse racing had taken control of me by then…

37. zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Tarantino’s films don’t work for me, other than Jackie Brown, which seemed to have some heart to it.

• zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 7:55 pm

Having said that, I do want to see his new one.

• Flavor said, on August 10, 2019 at 8:50 pm

all my friends who have seen it say it’s just ok but that the ending is incredible so I will see it for that reason alone.

• snarkk said, on August 10, 2019 at 9:47 pm

At least the new Tarantino flick isn’t another Marvel comics superheroes bullcrap flick. How many of those before they lose their luster? A lot, I guess…

• unca_chuck said, on August 10, 2019 at 11:50 pm

Exactly. The is like the 5th iteration of fickung Spider-Man.

Why?

38. sandog said, on August 10, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Part of a Baggs article on The Athletic. (Again, the Giants coverage on The Athletic is outstanding)

The argument held water when the game began Friday night.

Bryce Harper, who turned down $300 million from the Giants in late February, was having a relatively quiet season for the Philadelphia Phillies. He had hit 20 home runs in a little more than 500 plate appearances, mostly playing in a bandbox.

Three of the Giants’ on-the-cheap outfield pickups — Alex Dickerson, Mike Yastrzemski and Tyler Austin — had 25 home runs in a little less than 500 plate appearances, playing in the opposite of a bandbox.

You could argue the Giants were better off.

The argument still held water in the fifth inning, when Harper, who has been booed in every plate appearance since the Phillies arrived, connected for a solo home run to center field. He crossed the plate and he held an index finger to his lips. It only made Giants fans jeer him louder.

OK, sure. Fine. Harper would’ve made the Giants better. He would’ve drawn walks and driven in runs. He would’ve influenced the way pitchers attack the rest of the lineup. His power might have even played in this ballpark. But if you found his act spoiled or immature or you just didn’t approve of the way he fluffs his hair like he’s in a Vidal Sassoon commercial, well … he doesn’t play for the Giants. You don’t have to pretend to like him.

You could argue the Giants were better off.

Then came the eighth inning, one hanging breaking ball from Tony Watson, one of Harper’s ferocious yet compact swings, a ripple in the cove 456 feet from home plate and the instant evaporation of the Giants’ one-run lead in the Phillies’ 9-6 victory.

The argument no longer held water. The water held a bobbing baseball.

Harper’s three-run home run off Watson provided a handy demonstration: Star power is about more than marketing and bumping ticket sales. True superstars have difference-making games like this.

• Macdog said, on August 10, 2019 at 10:47 pm

And then Harper came back to earth with an 0-4 today, including a strikeout vs. Will Smith that was the biggest out in the 9th inning

• unca_chuck said, on August 10, 2019 at 11:48 pm

Still think it’s bullshit. Star power in baseball barely applies to anyone. Mike Trout is the best player in the game and no one recognizes him.

Having Harper would be nice but 13 years? $300 mill? No thanks. The rest of the team would end up being the Bowker gang. We went through this with Bonds. By the end of Bonds career we had no one but him. Same deal in Philly.

39. Macdog said, on August 10, 2019 at 10:52 pm

I didn’t hate Forrest Gump, but definitely think it was way overrated. There was something about it that kind of annoyed me, but can’t quite put my finger on it. The whole bit about running across the country and starting the running craze was probably a bit much.

40. zumiee said, on August 10, 2019 at 11:15 pm

The original novel Forrest Gump is great, laugh-outloud funny, and full of sharp satire. The movie went a little different direction. In the book, you hear his speech at the Vietnam War protest, a passionate speech against the war. The movie wimped out and literally pulled the plug on the speech so that the movie wouldn’t offend conservatives. The movie softened a lot of things from the book. The movie was OK, just not very important.

41. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2019 at 7:44 am

Been meaning to read that. I hear it is good.

42. sfsarge said, on August 11, 2019 at 8:00 am

I feel like if the Giants had signed Harper, Z would have been even more hamstrung than he already was with options to fix this roster.

I can’t with Tarantino. Too much gratuitous violence. The last film of his that I saw was Django Unchained. Great story, well acted. But N-bombs flying all over and like I said, too much violence. Although the scene with the Klansmen and the hoods was hilarious. Didn’t see the end because the over the top violence was too much for me and Mrs Sarge, so we left. It’s been on TV a lot since then, but now i don’t care.

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2019 at 8:27 am

well, ya need to watch Pulp again. Refresh your mind at what a genius he was back then. His stuff after that, meh, didn’t do much for me. But I will see the new one at some point because everyone keeps telling me about THE ENDING being so rad.

• sfsarge said, on August 11, 2019 at 9:56 am

Pulp, was really good. Still one of my favorites.