A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Win Of The Year

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 17, 2019

Somewhere in the world’s forest, Gail is being gently awakened by the sounds of another day beginning. Birds chirping, squirrels scurrying about. The sun peeks out over a mountain top, she stretches and is excited to beginning a new day of hiking—the furthest thing away from the explosive night time wake up call that would have jarred her conscious had she stayed at home. 🙂 🙂 🙂

So it turns out, I was very wrong-o about Yaz’ grandson.

Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 10.50.40 PM

Happily so. Between him, Pillar and The Dick we gave up literally nothing. So for that, I give Z huge props. He did this same thing with Muncy in LA so I think it’s clear he’s got a knack for scrapping up useful scraps. And with us so far away from respectability when the year began, that will be an important skill going forward if we want to shorten our stay in baseball purgatory….

Logan Webb Day! I’m really excited to see this kid pitch.

1. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:34 am

If you don’t know the background story to the Gail references here it is: About 7 years ago we won a game, I don’t remember the details other than it was an exciting ending that led to us winning. Chi was so excited he told the blog he was going to wake his wife Gail up for a night time shag celebration. I laughed long and loud at that image and bring it up from time to time after we win and Chi gets jazzed up at the blog. She was away from home camping last night if any of you missed his post about it…..

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:55 am

Actually, she was home last night, and was camping Thursday night, but she did get a reprieve last night. Her and Fry (one of our pooches) were dog tired after a fun, but arduous hike yesterday. Now tonight may be another story….

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 8:04 am

A “reprieve” lmao

2. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:53 am

LMAO…I did try to contain myself last night, but it wasn’t easy. What a fucking roller coaster ride, but a great win! Gail slept soundly through the night, and through my getting-up and about to head to the office this morning (first Saturday I have worked in the 12 years I have been here).

Fuck it…let’s wrap-up the series win today with the kid Webb getting his first ML start. Go Gigantes!

3. mrsprtdude said, on August 17, 2019 at 8:14 am

lets go Logan Webb! beede disappointed me. Next up!

4. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 8:20 am

SO Gail WAS at home last night. Ok, my bad but I stand by my comments last night and in the main thread. It’s nice to see a stroke of benevolency overcame you and she was spared. Chivalry, clearly, still alive.

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 8:53 am

LOL…I have always seen myself as somewhat of a hopeless romantic. 😉

5. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 8:22 am

OG Yaz must be reveling in this amazing run by his grandson. Sad that his dad died and never got to see this.

6. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 8:54 am

Yaz’s first hit with the Giants, when he got promptly picked off firstbase, seems like a very long time ago now.

7. willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 8:56 am

Yeah I remember that one. “I was sleeping” yeah “was”.
    Hope Webb can go awhile today. Obviously there are guys in pen that need recovery time. Watson is just getting lit up, Smith too and Moronta worked couple innings so it’s mostly the kids left. There’s still 39 games to go. Bochy will have to scramble to see who can get hitters out down there.

8. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 8:56 am

I have no idea what Yaz’s contract situation is. Do the Giants have control of him for the next several years like a regular rookie?

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:21 am

One year contract with the Giants for $555K. Adjusted/luxury tax salary of $381K. I think he will be a FA after this year. I would throw the kid a bone and keep him for a couple of years…

9. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:02 am

After crushing a 3 run blast last night, Adam Jones’ WAR moved up to 0.0. He had dipped into negative territory. He still cannot get love from WAR, but I won’t talk smack about him. He hit that ball a mile last night. Obviously he still has a lot of power.

10. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:03 am

Belt hits well in Arizona; I wonder if that’s a potential trade partner.

11. willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:05 am

Wilmer Flores is one of Loo’s guys too iirc. Always trying to find a trade that would work out for him to come over here. Meanwhile he’s blasting bombs against us.

I like Slater and I’d leave near top of LU. Night before he was on base 5 times. On Base does matter especially for team like SF that hit fewer bombs. You have to get more guys on base to score runs, and it’s the only way you hit 3 run bombs. it’s a category teams like Stros Dodgers (and A’s) put importance on, and one in which Giants continue to suck at. It cost Stros the other night too as they hit 5 bombs in Oakland but only scored 6 runs and lost 7-6. If you look at Stros every day LU almost everyone has OB of at least .340 even the C Chirinos.

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:20 am

Put a good Stanford man on top and good things unfold from there.

12. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:06 am

All due respect to Pablo,Pillar,Vogt and the Dick
    but my man Yaz is my front runner for the Willie Mac Award!

13. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:07 am

Longoria currently has a 2.3 WAR, which is probably leading the Giants. Yaz is at 1.9.

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:12 am

I’m wrong; Bum is at 2.5.

14. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:13 am

Never liked Wilmer Flores especially after he cried like a whiny little bitch after the Mets tried to trade him I believe in the middle of a game? As Tom Hanks said in League of your Own:Are you crying? Their’s no crying in Baseball ⚾️

15. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:19 am

MLB.com made a big deal about the Dodgers breaking an obscure record for most HRs in a 5 game span. Who cares? For one thing, 3 of those games were against an atrocious Marlins team; and with the juiced ball, HR records are falling like crazy all over MLB. We saw the juiceball in action last night firsthand.

16. Macdog said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:20 am

Scrolling through the comments last night, shout-out to Kat for calling a Yaz game-winning bomb in extras! With 39 games left, looks like we might see a 20-HR season from Yaz and/or Pillar, maybe Longoria.

17. Macdog said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:28 am

Hey Flav, did you see this from last night?

• alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:33 am

I am busting a gut! Walton is freakin Awesome 👏

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:45 am

lol, no but that was fantastic thanks

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 10:01 am

The Big Red-Head is a lark…love it. And, he’s a Deadhead to boot!

18. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:28 am

Let’s hope Spider-Man 🕷 Logan can spin his Webb and pitch well.Best we can hope for is 5 inning under the Boch rookie rules and the BP was less then stellar last night except for Gustave&Fatboy.Could come down to another shootout in the Desert 🌵!! I’m sure Smith can’t pitch unless Boch wants his arm to fall off,so 1 less in the pen today..

19. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:48 am

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 10:03 am

Pawlie posted about this last night. I had no idea that one, Bobby Thompson was Scottish, or that he held the record for so damned long. Very cool! I dig it…especially given that I have a fair amount of Scot blood coursing through my veins.

20. Macdog said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:51 am

Big Yaz 3 HR game from May 19, 1976:

21. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 9:53 am

The Walton highlights are great. It takes special play-by-play people to work with him. They have to go with the flow.

22. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 10:13 am

Was just looking at this article on best and worst uniform changes in sports. Number 10 is the D-backs current garb. When those came-out a few years back, I think it was Loo who said they look like garbage man uniforms from outer space, or something like that. It was fucking hilarious at the time. And I agree…these are some butt-ugly uniforms.

23. djloo27 said, on August 17, 2019 at 10:21 am

I’d go to war next season with an outfield of Yaz, Pillar and Puig…

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 10:35 am

Unrestricted FA next year, making 9.7 mil this year. If the Giants re-sign Bum, and brought Puig on board, it could make for an interesting clubhouse. Do you think the two would work out their differences?

• alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 11:02 am

Doubt it, after one of their last heated exchange when Bum said :Don’t look at me” Puig printed up some t-shirts that had both him &Bum staring at each other in their jerseys saying back:Don’t look at me” so I would say fat chance they co-exist together..

• djloo27 said, on August 17, 2019 at 11:06 am

THEY’D BE FINE!

• gianthead said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:14 pm

I agree with Loo as usual…Puig can buy him a heifer and they will be amigos..

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 11:22 am

I actually think Bum and Puig would be OK together. They don’t seem like guys who hold grudges. It’s hard to think of times when Bum intentionally threw at a batter. They’re both “in the moment” guys who let stuff go later.

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 11:24 am

The problem with Puig is that he loses focus sometimes. Sometimes he seems bored by the sport, and that wears on his teammates.

24. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 11:27 am

The quote about how the D-Backs’ uniforms “look like garbage man uniforms from outer space” is from a tweet by actor Rob Lowe, of all people.

25. djloo27 said, on August 17, 2019 at 11:28 am

Bum’s “confrontations” are done for effect. I don’t think there’s any genuine animosity.
    Him and Joe West were laughing together a week or so ago…

26. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 11:44 am

Yeah maybe they could coexist,Shit if RedAss Jeff Kent &Barry Bonds (I’m the greatest all time,and I’ll tell everyone that) even if they had a few brawls in the dugout, the bottom line they produced on the field!
    Added Bonus if they move the fences in and relocate the bullpens,Bum just hangs out there 4 times a week, so their not together all the time..

27. djloo27 said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:02 pm

I’m gonna will Puig here if it’s the last thing I do.
    Wish I knew how Z felt about him…

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:05 pm

I’m guessing he had enough of Puig. But as Puig gets older, maybe Puig will finally mature. But maybe not.

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 1:20 pm

Puig is a dick. Everyone hates him. You can safely surmise what Z thinks of him since he is part of the group, “everyone”

• Stan Shell said, on August 17, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Loo, Puig is a total asshole and a hot dog hot head. No on him.

28. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:09 pm

I guess the bottom line is, if you’re going to be a high-maintenance, pain-in-the-neck player, then you need to be so great on the field that it’s worth the trouble. Puig has probably never made that threshold….yet. The Raiders have a wacky wide receiver they hope is worth it.

29. Macdog said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:14 pm

I seem to remember a short-lived 70s sci-fi show about the crew of a space garbage ship, and sure enough, here it is:

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Wow, I never heard of this. Looks like a satire of Star Trek.

• alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Never heard of it either,looks really stupid and should of been on the film cutting floor and directly to the garbage can🤣📽🗑

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:28 pm

Thanks for the entertainment, Mac!

30. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:24 pm

Gardner kick out again for pounding the ceiling of the dugout with a bat. Clearly the umps aren’t going to allow that, and I don’t blame them.

31. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:25 pm

What is Gardner even thinking? I don’t get it.

• djloo27 said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:29 pm

He’s a real jerk.
      Glad they tossed him…

• Macdog said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:32 pm

He makes it easy to hate the Yanks.

32. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Gardner thinks that’s not against the rules and maybe technically he correct. But it’s a spoiled brat dick move and they should throw him out every time he does it just because of the terrible example it sets for young kids watching the game.

33. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Well I’m going to keep “Willing” Jaylin Davis here and before the possible playoff run so he would be eligible! Jesus what’s it take for the freakin Giants to get him up here? A 4 HR Game??

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Kat – who would go down to make room for Davis?

• alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:21 pm

They send Webb back after this start and callup Davis over Rickard.But 1st they have to put him on the 40 man roster, so you DFA Mike Gerber Baby Food, who SUCKS and taking up a spot for unforeseen reasons..

34. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 1:43 pm

35. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 2:03 pm

And to think they were about to ship him out for another pitcher on the long road trip starting In Milwaukee when they really caught on fire 🔥 .Wonder if Z said to Boch are you nuts 🥜?
    I can live with an outfield of Yaz,Pillar,Davis&Dickerson all day long!
    If The Dick goes limp, you still have Slater around..

36. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Giants World is upside down right now. Too many good outfielders?! Say what?!
    Slater is rocking a .400 OB% right now.

37. djloo27 said, on August 17, 2019 at 2:33 pm

1. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF
    2. Stephen Vogt (L) C
    3. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    4. Alex Dickerson (L) LF
    5. Scooter Gennett (L) 2B
    6. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
    7. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    9. Logan Webb (R) P

38. djloo27 said, on August 17, 2019 at 2:43 pm

djloo27 said, on June 22, 2019 at 6:47 am (Edit)

My new favorite Giant is Yaz.
    I’m kind of impressed…

Flavor said, on June 22, 2019 at 6:52 am (Edit)

he’s been much better than I thought and an outfield of him, Pillar and someone who can hit 30 bombs would be rad.

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:17 pm

the way this is going, Yaz might be the one who hits 30 next year.

39. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Is this even legal?
    The Giants have a Bullpen Catcher by the name of (supposedly)Taira Uematsu…Age unknown DOB unknown …

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Boone is even more to blame. While I greatly enjoyed his “savages in the box” meltdown, he needs to stop feeding into this shit. They’re bad calls, who cares, his guys do nothing but rake and rake more. A few bad calls might effect an offense like SF’s but it’s going to have almost no effect on a powerhouse O like NY. And Boone barks at the ump constantly and then runs out there to put on a show. I like him but he’s FOS

40. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Cool to see Michael Morse on the pregame. Loved when he showed-up the other day rocking a plaid blazer.

41. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:23 pm

Man, fuck this kid. I hope no coach forced him to do this.

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Drill him!

• gianthead said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:06 pm

Did he hit that way the whole at bat??? What was the result of the at bat?

42. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:46 pm

for Gail’s sake let’s see a nice easy breezy 5 run win, no late inning surprises….

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:49 pm

😎

43. mrsprtdude said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:50 pm

That is stupidest fucking thing I have ever seen. As a dad and a former little league coach it is infuriating. You can’t drill him cause he is a kid. Gotta be honest though that was the 1st thing i thought.

44. mrsprtdude said, on August 17, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Looking at the lineup… Never would have imagined with this team and these players earlier in the year that the 2 Brandon’s would be the worst hitters in the lineup

45. gianthead said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:04 pm

I was at dinner last night in the City and watched the blown lead and then we headed off to a dive named The Rickshaw Stop for a Geowulf concert, which was super cool. You all will recognize the song Saltwater from the Corona commercial…female lead singer is quite hot and we got a chance to talk to her and her bandmates…but could not get any Giant updates so that was an awesome win and highlights…got a pretty good buzz going and we started razzing a group of about 8 millenial girls who looked like they were dressed as a group of librarians out for the night. So I started a chant of “Mar-y Poppins!” to honor these nutty girls. It was like they were completely oblivious to either fashion or attracting a mate either male or female…made for good times though…nothing like being back home with your boys and even when it was just 3 of us out on the town..

46. gianthead said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:07 pm

47. willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:12 pm

wow second time that’s been done lately with Belt Craw 7/8, sounds like writing is on the wall–either hit better or this where you stay if you are even in the LU.
    Much as I love college b-ball, it’ sometimes hard to listen to Walton even though he knows what he’s talking about when it is about action on the floor. Baseball which he knows zero about, wow. Saw the yahoo story on last night earlier and whomever wrote it seemed to dig him regardless of how weird he was.

• alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:35 pm

I’m glad Bochy finally shows guts and does this.For years he never would have..

48. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:17 pm

I just see it as Walton keeping himself entertained. He’s probably painfully bored by regular announcers.

• djloo27 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:23 pm

Flores walk-up song should be Cry Baby Cry…

49. gianthead said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:19 pm

50. gianthead said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:26 pm

51. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:32 pm

I’m assuming Logan didn’t think Longo made a Webb gem play for him..

52. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:43 pm

Better start crying 😭 Flores, that throw was laughable..

53. Macdog said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Grand Belted!

54. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Belted Salami!

55. willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:50 pm

maybe Zum’s right about Belt and AZ. last couple days here is as hard as I’ve seen him hit a ball in long time.

56. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:50 pm

Damm How Sweet is that for Belt!!
    A Grand Salami!!!

57. willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:52 pm

man how many pitches is AZ mgr. gonna make this guy throw?

• willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:53 pm

45 and he’s got 4 guys out total.

58. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:53 pm

This ballpark plays like a little cigar box.

59. willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:55 pm

39th pitch of the inning and AZ gets somebody up. wow

60. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Damm there hitting some ropes,and this pitcher is throwing a shit load of pitches!

61. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Shit I thought Longo was going to have the second slam in the inning..

62. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Hitting the ball 389 to rightcenter got Belt an HR in this ballpark. He’s digging that.

• willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:09 pm

yeah looked like Longo hit the sac fly farther than that

63. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Knock the starter out with the long AB’s pitch counts.Giants licking their chops at a early BP game..

64. willedav said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:08 pm

commotion behind plate in stands–Hank said fan collapsed.

65. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Belt came into this game with a WAR of 0.0.
    lulz

66. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:17 pm

So Belt has the same WAR as Adam Jones now?

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:21 pm

Pretty much.

67. zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:22 pm

On second look, Belt’s grandslam

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:23 pm

was more rightfield than rightcenter.

68. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Marty Lurie on twitter thinking Kat’s J-Davis coming up next and soon……

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:52 pm

Kat will jizz all over himself when it happens…

69. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 6:51 pm

I am liking this Webb kid. Nice arsenal. Didn’t sweat the small shit after giving up two runs in the first. Outside of that first inning, he’s been awesome.

• alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Throws strikes with an easy motion,Beede,Thor&Rodriguez can learn a few things watching him pitch..

70. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:03 pm

That was about as dumb as gets for Scooter on that play..

71. Macdog said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:19 pm

Alright, Webb thru 5.

72. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:19 pm

Nice start of the DP by Webb. Boom!

73. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:22 pm

That’s exactly what Webb needed his favorite friend the DP ball! I really wanted him to go 5 strong and qualify hopefully a win, did not want to Boch pull him.

• Macdog said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Yeah, 7 K’s, PEDal to the metal for Webb.

74. Flavor said, on August 17, 2019 at 7:23 pm

would love to know what Webb got popped for. Was it something stupid like Adderall or something more ominous? Great first game, another MAN showing from one of our kids. Fuck Beede and Anderson, let’s see the men show up in August.