D-Rod Again

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 26, 2019

I’m certainly no D-Rod Truther, but I’m giving him a pass for his last start. There was a pretty good wind tunnel at Wrigley and for a dude with marginal talent and suspect location that was likely gonna be a problem. Back in the friendly confines of Oracle I’m hoping he gets his shit together. I hate his hair. I don’t have anything against dudes with long hair but he looks incredibly un-imposing with his locks.

I wonder if there’s a psychological let down for the rest of the team every time they see Posey in the 3 hole. He knows it, they all know it, he can’t swing the stick like a 3-hole hitter anymore. Actually maybe that’s why Boch keeps him 3rd. If he moved him down with Belt, Crawford and the pitcher, man that’s 44% of straight up outs, dawg.

1. blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:10 am

Beede is pitching today (unless something happened I’m unaware of).

• Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:18 am

Really? Drod was listed at DK and that’s the only site I’ve been to today besides here. They might have it wrong

• blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:28 am

Yeah, I believe he is going against the Snakes Young.

• chipower9 said, on August 26, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Yep. MLB has Beede vs. Young. Shark takes the bump tomorrow for Los Gigantes.

Next two after that (against the Friars) are the infamous TBD for the Giants.

2. willedav said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:53 am

Wasn’t able to see/listen follow along yesterday game. What was Webb like? He did give up bomb but couldn’t finish 5th and got team back behind after they had tied it up for him.

Btw Vogt got a first pitch fastball over his head in the 8th from Buchter off whom he’d homered day before and wasn’t too happy about it. Don’t see that kinda stuff much any more. hmmnn

• willedav said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:55 am

Highly doubt Melvin called that from bench since he knows and I’m sure respects Vogt from when he used to play for them.

• blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:38 am

I doubt Melvin was involved too, especially since the A’s announcers said much the same thing about Vogt being well liked by the entire team and management. Basically, they attributed it to a pitch that got away (or Buchter going “off the reservation”).

3. gianthead said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:18 am

3 straight up dogs…dawg

4. willedav said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:25 am

“psychological letdown”…for the guy who had 11 pitch AB vs. a guy of caliber reliever of Blake Treinen, that was immediately followed on the very next pitch by (amazing coincidence) the game winning hit???

I’m sure Giants will add a C (Garcia I hope) in a few days and add to what I happen to view as a position of strength for them.

5. snarkk said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:23 am

Posey is perfectly fine as a backup catcher to Vogt. Because that’s what he is. But at $22 million, his pathetic stick hurts this team. He needs to do better than 4Ks incl a long AB against Treinen, who has been very hittable this season…

• blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:48 am

Worse, as indicated by myself and others (including you) – it is ludicrous that he bats in the 3 hole. In fact, this insanity was much worse earlier in the season, when Bochy batted him cleanup. Right now, he’s on par or worse with Belt and Crawford (where they appropriately bat in the 7 and 8 spots).

6. Bozo said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:56 am

I’ve noticed that when there is a change to the lineup card and it works, people post that it must have been Zaidi’s idea. But when it doesn’t, well that boneheaded Bochy must have gotten a hold of another pencil while Zaidi is in Hawaii scouting Samoans.

7. Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:06 am

I agree that catcher is a position of strength if you just look at Vogt’s offense and Posey’s defense. But, you can’t play them at the same time or simply mash those two strengths together. When Posey plays catcher is certainly not a position of strength considering his woeful, anemic bat. He has 6 home runs this year. How is that even possible in this juiced ball era?

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 11:58 am

I bet if he was the Brewer’s full time DH he’d go 25/90…

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 2:17 pm

25 walks and 90 k’s.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Actually he’d go 0/0.
        I just realized why…

• Macdog said, on August 26, 2019 at 4:45 pm

Ha ha, Loo, I wasn’t gonna say it.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 5:24 pm

I knew you’d be the one to catch it, Mac…

8. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 11:49 am

Well, it certainly isn’t just him, but it’s like we are playing with different balls.

9. chipower9 said, on August 26, 2019 at 12:40 pm

I know there is damned near no chance this team makes the playoffs, and that is cool. I think all of us have had that outlook for some time. I even questioned if they could do it after that smoking hot July, and I have certainly enjoyed watching this team since it went on that tear. They are playing pretty decent ball, are most often fun to watch, and sure a whole hell of a lot better than the atrocity that was the team in the beginning of the year.

Reflecting on that cubbie series where our boys got swept, that was the real kicker. Had they won two of those games with everything else remaining the same (they lost all three by a total of four runs), the Giants record would be 67-63 and would be tied with the Phillies, Brewers, and Mets two back from the second WC. But with that sweep they are four back of the 2nd spot with four teams ahead of them. Ain’t fucking happening.

But, when rosters expand here in a few days, we’ll get a chance to see some of the kids who could add to the team continuing to be competitive next year. I am looking forward to that…

10. Stan Shell said, on August 26, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Zman for Willie Mac award. I know this is inappropriate but I feel is earned. Look yesterday at Solano 5 for 5. Sabean and sons would have Ortmier in that roster spot.

OSF

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 4:47 pm

Ort-Rod!

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Twin loved that extraordinary nickname…

11. alleykat69 said, on August 26, 2019 at 3:16 pm

The only player I want to see up here to get my juices flowing is Jaylin Davis and I want him to play the only position Boch sadly won’t allow CF. Z should somehow convince him to see what the real future is with a kid that can run& gun with some of the other elite CF’s in the league.Pillar’s not the future but if he wants to play LFare Right for a year so be it.Z likes more flexible players on his roster not just 1 position players anymore, which pretty much doomed Panik& probably Gennett next year plus his salary..

12. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Flavor ain’t gonna like this…

13. chipower9 said, on August 26, 2019 at 4:40 pm

1. Donovan Solano (R) 2B
    2. Austin Slater (R) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    5. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
    6. A. Avelino (R) LF
    7. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    8. B. Crawford (L) SS
    9. Tyler Beede (R) P

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 4:48 pm

X-rays negative on Yaz’s hand.
      Day to day…

• blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 4:51 pm

. . . and that explains the Dick pinch hitting deal the A’s announcers were yapping about yesterday. .

• Macdog said, on August 26, 2019 at 5:25 pm

The Core-acle Park lineup.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 26, 2019 at 5:11 pm

15. Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 5:19 pm

there are at least 4 guys I’d rather watch play tonight than the fellas we are trotting out in SF

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 5:23 pm

Does this mean we can have Maris & Yastrzemski in September?

16. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 5:21 pm

Well, the situation the Giants are in now is kind of like an old-fashioned pennant race.
    They’re in 5th place but just 4 games back in late August.
    There was a time when I’d be very excited and maybe even optimistic about that.
    Of course, the Giants had much better teams back then.
    Anyone remember the 5 team race of 1969?
    These were the standings 50 years ago today:

SFG 70-57 .551 —-
    ATL 71-59 .546 0.5
    CIN 68-57 .544 1.0
    LAD 68-57 .544 1.0
    HOU 67-60 .528 3.0

• Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 5:33 pm

that was a helleva division, great memories of those old standings in the sporting green

• blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 5:46 pm

No, I don’t remember, except that the Giants ended up in 2nd place at the end of the season and Atlanta won the Division by 3 or 4 games.

17. blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Sheesh Loo . . . You got me thinking and “going down the rabbit hole” regarding that season. If WAR was as big than as it is now, I suspect that Marichal would have probably won the Cy Young Award over Tom Seaver (7.8 to 7.2). Marichal beat him in WHIP and ERA, but the award voters were probably still overly impressed with wins, where Seaver went 25-7 and Marichal went 21-11.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 6:13 pm

I remember reading that a lot of the press (as it was known then) thought Seaver cost himself the MVP by publicly campaigning for Tommie Agee. Maybe I’ll check the voting later to see if that made any sense…

• Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 6:31 pm

i wouldn’t say “overly impressed”, back then wins were earned. Those two bastards were throwing complete games left and right not staggering through 5 hoping to leave with the lead and eek out a W

18. chipower9 said, on August 26, 2019 at 6:46 pm

AZ rocking those trash men from outer space unis.

19. chipower9 said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Posey sucks, but at least he got a runner in…

20. Macdog said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:04 pm

A first-inning run at home after a road trip, that’s a rarity.

21. blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:08 pm

K and K are clueless. They have no idea where Cueto is pitching??? Too busy wolfing down hot dogs and beer I guess.

• djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Wolfing down hot dogs and beer doesn’t sound half bad to me…

• blade3colorado said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Added bonus is that you get paid for it too.

22. Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:18 pm

come on, that’s weak shit. That’s all you got? That I was talking mad shit and don’t know who’s pitching?

23. Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Yankees are incredible. All they do is blast off. Will be interesting to see how that fares with a suspect pitching staff in the post season

24. Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 7:45 pm

25. Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Diggity gotta be encouraged by his boy tonight. Not dominant but not imploding.

26. Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Posey, putting a dent in that position of strength one strike out at a time….

27. zumiee said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:33 pm

It’s bad managing by Bochy to keep putting Posey high in the order. It’s not putting a player in the best spot to succeed.

28. Flavor said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:36 pm

29. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Meaty Beede done in by big bouncer.

FYI Johnny C is pitching in Modesto tomorrow

30. djloo27 said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Christ…

31. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Just about to sing the praises of Avelino and he blows through the stop sign.

• Macdog said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:53 pm

First career RBI, then first career screw-up.

32. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 8:56 pm

Turning gold to shit.

33. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Wow. 2 more walks for the pen.

34. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm

These guys are going to kill us with all these fucking walks.

35. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:19 pm

And there you go.

36. zumiee said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Some seriously dumb baseball in the last couple of innings.

37. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:37 pm

One more team to climb over. The D-backs.

38. zumiee said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:42 pm

Jones has 2 HRs in the last 2 months. Both against the Giants.

• unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:03 pm

He just wants to remind us we should have signed him this offseason!

• zumiee said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:07 pm

🙂

39. zumiee said, on August 26, 2019 at 9:50 pm

Bochy goes white flag and let’s Anderson bat.

40. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:07 pm

And doesn’t pinch hit for Buster.

41. zumiee said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Dodgers lost. That pleases me.

42. unca_chuck said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:11 pm

AZ doing their damnedest to give this game away.

43. Macdog said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:17 pm

AZ pitchers had to get 6 outs that inning.

44. Macdog said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Another uninspiring start to a homestand. Maybe the Giants should move their games to Oakland, they seem to like it there.

45. mrsprtdude said, on August 26, 2019 at 10:50 pm