I’d Rather Watch His Dad Pitch For Us

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 30, 2019

With conditions nearly perfect D-Rod still laid a huge egg. Giving up bombs to Margot and Hedges? Come on man, even with the juiced ball that’s lame. One under-the-radar problem Young Z needs to solve: Going into 2020 with Smarge the ace of your staff is probably not the way to avert the cellar. I certainly don’t want him signing anyone to an enormous FA deal but he’s going to need to turn over some rocks and find something better than PomPom for next season. Smarge, Cueto and…..I mean it’s a bad look, man.

1. chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:04 am

Another pathetic performance by DRod. I’m done. Maybe he can get his shit together in the off-season, but I’m not holding my fucking breath.

Yeah, rotation will be interesting next year. I like the idea of Bum for three years max. Just don’t know if that will get it done if other teams want to overpay with a longer deal.

Looking forward to seeing Cueto pitch for Sacto Saturday night. Will give you guys a report on him, and also one of JDavis for Kat.

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:23 am

I don’t think so Chi. DRod has 2 types of fastballs (essentially 92 and 93 MPH), and both are not elite. His other 3 pitches (slider, curve, and change) were good last year, but that’s because he had mostly pin point accuracy in locating them. I said last season that we got lucky with him, and I didn’t question why the Twins got rid of him. In short, I didn’t think it would last.

Hey, he was our “found money under the cushion” last season, but that dough is spent in my opinion. So, I’m grateful for the outstanding season he gave us in 2018.

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:31 am

Yeah, I truly don’t have high hopes on him, and question whether he will even be on the 2020 rotation radar. I am with you and thankful for what he did provide last year.

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:48 am

I would love to visit that stadium (didn’t they recently have a name change?). Love going to minor league stadiums. I went to the Fresno stadium a few years ago. Beautiful park, e.g., the architect designed it where it is “sunken” and it is quite unique.

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:26 am

Envious (in a good way) you get to see both. Have a great time bro.

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:35 am

Thanks, Steve. It is the 60th birthday of one of my friends who is going with me. Should be a fun night. Cueto, JDavis, and fireworks. Plus, on a warm summer night, there are few places that are better to take in a baseball game, IMO. It may be a bit warm first pitch, but should be nice most of the evening, and the backdrop with the Tower Bridge and Sac skyline in the background in is always awesome.

2. willedav said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:32 am

Flav’s right. It’s not gonna matter how many bombs j Davis or anyone else hit next year if pitching is this bad.
    Look no closer than the Pads–they have hit 193 HRs already 5th in NL and still suck.
    they have IF Machado will hit 30.
    They have Tatis dynamic rookie SS who had 22 before he got hurt.
    They have Renfroe an OF who already has 31
    .They traded away F Reyes a month ago and he had 27.

Any Giants like that? Meanwhile bum and Smrdz are 5-6 inning guys and they are best we have and they will need 30 starts out of at least 2 more. All the 5 inning guys mean you need 2-4 reliable innings behind them. anyone you’ve seen so far seem capable of that? Giants likely lose Watson and Smith so it’s basically the Sacto Giants and they aren’t going to be helped by moving the fences in.

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:42 am

Agree whole-heartedly on the HR comment (not needing them to be competitive). Case in point is the Cardinals. 12th in the NL and leading their division. They do it old school with solid pitching (2nd in NL in ERA and WHIP) and defense (1st in fielding percentage).

Don’t get me wrong, I think it is great to have a number of guys in your line-up who can mash, but obviously, you do not have to have it to win.

3. gianthead said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:47 am

I think most of us predicted the post-trade deadline starting pitcher brick wall…came quick though…how about a LooPool of how many career wins Boch achieves…I’ll still go 2003.

4. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:00 am

How about our new kid, Dubon? Great start in my opinion . . . turned a nice dp and also made a diving stop behind the bag to rob France of a hit in the second. In the fifth, Dubon collected his first hit. I am hoping Boch plugs this kid in for the rest of the season, so we have some idea of what we have.

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:16 am

In fact, that diving stop play deserves a replay . . .

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:22 am

Missed the game, but wow that’s a big time play by Dubon! Kid is gonna be special!

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:44 am

I bailed around the 5th at 5-1, but did see this play and his hit. I like this kid, and agree, play him rest of the way and see what he can contribute.

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:24 am

Yeah Blade Dubon’s the real deal! Wish they brought up Davis earlier to have similar highlights reel!

5. snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:03 am

Yadier Molina is 37, plays home games in a sauna.
    This season, he’s appeared in 86 games, way down from usual. Dogged by a thumb injury.
    Still, he’s at:
    .271/.307./394/.701 with 7 HRs and 46 RBI
    WAR 0.9

Buster: he’s 32
    98 games
    .246/.311/.367/.678 with 6 HRs and 35 RBI
    WAR 0.6

MLB averages of Catchers with > 100 ABs:
    .239/.309/.407/.716 with 9 HRs and 32 RBI …

6. alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:20 am

I believe their renaming Raley park next year to Sutter Health park.Yeah Chi what a great night to go,Shimmy,Shaw,Gerber baby, fireworks 🧨, your friends 60th birthday 🎂,beers 🍻& food gonna be awesome 😎 for you! Enjoy my brother!

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:26 am

Damm I forgot my main man Jaylin Davis in my post!
      Hope he Launches 🚀 a HR for you guys!

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:46 am

Thanks, Kat. Yes, gonna be a fun night, and yes, name of the yard is changing, too. Kind of a surprise, as Raley’s is based there in West Sac, and they are doing a ton of development in the area.

7. willedav said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:22 am

Chron said Dubon will start at SS next 2 games vs. LHP as Craw sits. Giants start a road trip Monday which is Sept 2nd so wonder how they will handle the call ups from Sac. If Davis and I would hope maybe Shaw and Aramis Garcia are in town for Sunday that would be great.

I get the hate on Posey (though imo it does get old) and I’m not defending him but obviously bar is very low for C position these days. Btw he and Vogt Giants are far above average and Vogt can’t play everyday. I liked what I saw of Garcia last year and he played a decent 1b. Bart is still likely few months of 2020 away from helping SF.
    Giants have lot more serious things to deal with than C, imo.

• Macdog said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:29 am

Shaw hit 3 bombs last night!

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 9:16 am

They sent him back to AA to work on pitch and strike zone recognition.
        Apparently the result is he’s cut back a lot on Ks…

8. Macdog said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:22 am

Not to make excuses for the Giants, they play like crap at home no matter what the circumstances, but having three off days in the last week is certainly unusual, especially this late in the season, and couldn’t have helped players who are used to playing games 5-6-7 days straight all year.

9. willedav said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:24 am

mmm just read in Chron “Bochy confirmed Johnny Cueto will pitch one more rehab game, SATURDAY, with Triple A Sacramento before joining Giants rotation.” If Chi and buddies are going tonite uh I think you miss him.

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:49 am

I screwed-up on the day. The game we are seeing is indeed Saturday (I corrected in the original post), and yes, everything I have seen has Cueto slotted for Saturday night.

10. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:35 am

Yes AK, I am hoping Dubon’s the real deal. Supposedly, he will get a shot at SS too. I love the fact that just like Craw, he grew up a Giants fan. Craw is special and will always be a great Giant. Man, we have had some unbelievable shortstops playing for us, e.g., Dark, Speier, Vizquel, Aurilia, Kuenn, etc.

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 9:17 am

Just the quickness the kid showed on that play up the middle is exciting. He should play out the season.
      25 games at the MLB level would be a huge leg up going to next season –help tell him what he needs to work on in the off season.
      There is nothing to be gained by playing Crawford for the rest of the year…

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 9:22 am

Agree.

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 9:42 am

I’d like to see Dubon and Solano play a lot of the infield rest of the way. They need to determine if Solano is a player they want to go with as a real utility guy next season. He’s no spring chicken, but he can play. Play Shaw, play Davis. It’s time to use September as a springboard into the Arizona Fall League, offseason roster moves, and Spring Training 2020. With manager and coaching changes in the wind, too, I haven’t been this excited about an offseason in a long time. ZMan is going to make moves to shake up this organization. Prepare to see the last ABs of all the core, because some of them will be gone. Pablo’s elbow means he is gone as a player. The 25 man at the end of 2020 Spring Training is going to be very different than now, I can feel it…

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:00 am

Again, I agree with everything you said . . . Ditto about being excited about the changes coming and who will be making them (as I believe Baer, Sabes, Evans, Bochy influence this next season will be diminished or better yet, altogether gone). This isn’t a criticism of them, but moreover, a welcome to a new regime and see what they can accomplish at all levels of the organization).

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 11:59 am

Tom – I am with you on wanting to be done with the core, but as I mentioned yesterday, between the money owed, and the full and limited no-trade clauses, it will be quite difficult to move any of these guys unless the Giants eat some money. I just don’t see it happening.

How do you see them making it work to move some of the dead core? Just curious, because like I said, we all know it “should happen,” but I just don’t see a lot of movement there (trading Belt is probably the easiest proposition of the bunch).

11. snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:00 am

Some forecasts are showing Hurricane Dorian headed directly for Mar-a-Lago…

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Hope it wipes that motherfucker out…

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Oh please Lord . . . If there is any justice on this fucking planet.

12. sandog said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:18 am

No sense rushing Cueto back to the big leagues in a lost season. Let’s see what these young guys can do the rest of the way. Let Cueto get a full big league spring under his belt before facing big league hitters.
    I’m sure Flav agrees with me on this!

13. gianthead said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:46 am

I have not paid much attention to this Jaylin Davis since the trade, but let’s hope he stands out from the Bowker gang, JF Phillip’s, Cheesey Mac, and on and on over the last decade or so and probably this Chris Shaw and poor Duggar is likely a big casualty here, he stands out in an obvious way and hope that translates to a true athletic OF who can smash and that combo seems quite rare in the current promotion of white softball players throughout the league…

• gianthead said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:48 am

I would not worry about when he gets called up. Him playing in a AAA playoff atmosphere will test how he performs on a bigger stage. Him roaming the OF with a team out if the hunt tonprobanly half empty crowds is not necessarily a good test for his skill. Plus he will still get a couple of weeks of big league ball. If he is not starting next year than that is some unacceptable shit…

14. gianthead said, on August 30, 2019 at 11:01 am

For those who watched the game live…was there a buzz with Duhon in the game? He look good? I saw the highlights and excited. My only concern with Jaylin is the juiced ball and is he benefitting it being new in AAA this year???

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Looking at his past stats he hit 16 HRs in 2016, 15 in 2017, and 11 in 2018. This year has been split between AA and AAA and he has 35. Hmmm…juiced ball, juiced JDavis, or both? Looking forward to seeing him play Saturday night.

15. zumiee said, on August 30, 2019 at 11:33 am

“and the backdrop with the Tower Bridge and Sac skyline in the background in is always awesome.”

That’s near where I proposed to my wife. We were in the parking lot of the Crocker Art Museum which is near there.
    And, I totally agree about the River Cats ballpark being a really nice AAA ballpark. I was seeing some games there when it was still an A’s affiliate.

16. alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 11:59 am

I don’t know GH, it could have some effect but everyone’s using the juiced ball now, minors, majors, so it’s a equal playing field for all with power.
    Jaylin Davis like Snarkk mentioned played a half a season in Rochester where the parks play a lot bigger then the Pacific Coast League and he still smacked like 25 there to add to his 10 in Sac, to me no park will hold him, unless major league pitchers find a hole in his swing..

17. alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 12:07 pm

You know Evan Longoria is going to be the happiest Giant seeing Dubon play SS,with the kids range he will get to balls Longo could only ole at.Shit he’s so quick he might even beat Longo to the ball on a bunt towards 3rd..Hmm I wonder if that’s ever happened when a SS throws a guy out bunting?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2019 at 12:33 pm
  18. pawliekokonuts said, on August 30, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Unless my equilibrium was off (which it could be; I have BPPV), Frontier Field in Rochester is sunken. Great skyline. The Kodak building. Kodak?! What’s that?

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 5:46 pm

Pawlie, Mrs. snarkk and I may be headed for upstate NY for fall foliage.
      Any recommendations? Not sure we’ll get N of Saratoga, still in planning mode…

19. chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 4:07 pm

1. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF
    2. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    3. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    4. Alex Dickerson (L) LF
    5. Buster Posey (R) C
    6. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Mauricio Dubon (R) 2B
    9. Madison Bumgarner (R) P

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Bochy thinks he did something dramatic moving Posey to 5th.

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2019 at 4:32 pm

that’s just as bad as 3rd.

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Yeah Boch must of agonized that dramatic drop to 5th all day! Yes still not low enough 7th would be better, cause if he batted 8th the pitcher couldn’t even sacrifice him over lol 😂

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 5:48 pm

7th would be better, and the bench even better.

20. snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Tyler Skaggs of Angels:
    Died as result of combo OD on fentanyl, oxycodone and booze.
    Choked on his own vomit.
    Family has hired a lawyer, they say cops say some Angels employees may have had some involvement.
    Sad…

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Fentanyl, in particular, is killing a lot of people. I think Prince died from a bootleg version of Fentanyl, or something like that. They’ve never figured out where Prince got the bootlegged pills. What he didn’t know was that the bootlegged pills were even stronger than the regular ones.

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:03 pm

Very sad. I am reading Steve Parish’s “Home Before Daylight: My Life on the Road with the Grateful Dead,” and he goes tells a number of stories from when Jerry was really off the deep end on heroin, coke, you name it. And Pigpen died from booze. Shit wrecks a lot of lives.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Fentanyl? Jesus. That’s really fucked up shit. Oxy? Sure, for pain. But Fentanyl is like heroin x 100. How can you even be functioning to play on that shit?

21. chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Belt close to back-to-back splash hits…

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 30, 2019 at 7:43 pm

Kevin Pillar is made of iron.

23. Flavor said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:09 pm

just scanning FB, looks like Paul’s mom died today. If you see this my man just know we are with you and sorry for your loss

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:33 pm

Ditto…

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:48 pm

My condolences Pawlie for your loss..

24. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Jesus. Yet another one-arm swing goes out.

25. snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Looks like Valerie Harper died today. 80.
    She was Mary Tyler Moore’s BFF on Mary’s show in the ’70s.
    The Jewish American Princess and Shiksa as hetero women friends who didn’t necessarily need a guy to get through life successfully broke social ground on that TV show. Harper as Rhoda was funny as hell as the frumpy, funny, self deprecating anti-Mary.
    RIP…

• alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Yeah she was great on that show!
      RIP Valerie..

26. chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Damn. Nice DP. I like the kid Dubon. Hopefully the stick comes around.

27. chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Yaz!

28. alleykat69 said, on August 30, 2019 at 9:34 pm

3 straight singles,Nice inning going,Yaz,Belt, now Longo for a run..

29. chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 9:37 pm

Damn. Bats are hot tonight.

30. snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:01 pm

Well, drop Buster 2 holes in the LU, and he gets 3 hits!
    Drop him another 2, maybe he’ll really go off !…

31. snarkk said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:04 pm

Yeah, I replayed that Machado HR a couple of times.
    The guy basically swung with his left (leading) arm, bending down.
    This ball is juiced like a dang Superball…

32. Bozo said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Good game by the Bum. Damn good game by the Giants.

33. chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Winner winner chicken dinner…

34. Macdog said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Giants win a home game!

• zumiee said, on August 30, 2019 at 11:02 pm

35. chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:12 pm

I know he has only been up a couple of days, but sure hope Dubon finds his stroke.

36. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:15 pm

Thanks for the condolences, my fellow Flappers…

• chipower9 said, on August 30, 2019 at 10:26 pm

👊🏼

37. mrsprtdude said, on August 31, 2019 at 12:06 am

Loving it to see you Clint!