Why We Lose

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 12, 2019

Yesterday Jonathan Villar’s blast set the MLB all time HR record for a single season! Of course, that just broke a record set 2 years ago. And there’s still 3 weeks left to add on to it….

Look, in today’s game this shit ain’t gonna cut it:

Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 5.45.32 AM

Sabean and Evans never caught up to this concept and that’s why they’re gone. Hopefully by next season our weak and slow core will be gone, too.

Young Z, make it so……

1. willedav said, on September 12, 2019 at 7:57 am

Horse racing fans, what to make of NY times report I read in Chron today about Justify having failed drug test after win at Santa Anita Derby? Report found abnormally high level of scopolamine (which can be used to help “optimize heart rate”). According to story, win should have resulted in DQ and therefore Justify should never have been allowed to run in Derby.

• Flavor said, on September 12, 2019 at 8:08 am

I don’t have a problem with him running they didn’t have enough time to do a complete investigation. My issue is that they swept it under the rug. That was bullshit

• djloo27 said, on September 12, 2019 at 8:58 am

Horrific. Way worse than the Dancer’s Image fiasco of 1968.
      After the Cinzano-Lebon ringer scandal of 1977, nothing surprises me in horse racing…

2. sandog said, on September 12, 2019 at 8:54 am

As for today’s lede, that’s probably why the Giants never accomplished anything while Sabean was in charge….

Flav ripping Sabean and Evans has drinking game potential as well. (If u missed it, Zum had a great post about a potential drinking game based on Snarkk ripping Posey)

3. snarkk said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:05 am

I don’t want U guys getting inebriated on my account. I’ll cut down on Posey rants. As long as he’s not playing, which is fine with me. I remember saying in spring when I saw him in Scottsdale, he looked slow on his feet and with bat, but I figured he’d improve as his surgery healed . Nah. He looks done as much of a productive offensive player. If he’s providing leadership, it’s hard to see how much impact that’s worth…

4. snarkk said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:10 am

Need the saran wrap listening to Sportstalk radio around here. With Giants limping to the finish line and Dubon about all that’s interesting, it’s a constant Boch jizzfest when it’s Giants as the topic. I hope he gets the 2000 and then let’s move on to the offseason for some real work…

5. willedav said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:19 am

I have feeling Z is gonna go all in with younger guys next season. But I don’t see how that adds much to HRs hit even if you dumped core. If solano and Dubon, who don’t seem like HR hitters, take over 2b and SS, how many would that mean btw them? 15-20?
    3b, I don’t see a new guy hitting over 25/that many more than Longo. Even part time Bart at C platoon with Vogt would mean maybe another 10 at most.
    1b OK but that could be Shaw’s spot in a platoon. Again how many more than Belt..10 at best imo.
    OF even if Davis hit 25 whose place does he take? Yaz and Pillar have 20 and Dick hit a bunch in his short time. Slater is only guy who doesn’t hit bombs (4 I think) but he has .490 slugging and high OPS. I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

If I had pie char for Giants needed solve issues in order to compete, 40% revolve around pitching and you could divide remaining 60% btw HRs OB and D.

6. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:29 am

Bochy’s latest pet peeve for me which is constant ,thru out his manager career is his baby cutesy names.. Now he calls Dubon,…Doobie.
    Man up on these corny phrases, your not dealing with a bunch of toddlers..

7. willedav said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:32 am

I get the aesthetics, we’re all tired of seeing Crawford Belt Posey struggle at the plate. It will be nice to see their younger and more athletic replacements, such as now exist mostly in the OF and maybe there is someone new to take over 3b at least part time.
    I just don’t think that will necessarily translate into more Ws if they don’t improve pitching beyond 9th in the league in the best pitchers yard there is. Even IF Bum comes back you still need 70+ starts out of all the #5 ish young guys and they will need a different crew of set up guys plus closer. Gott and Moronta are both hurt, Watson(who likely takes option and comes back) is eminently hittable and the rest, like what we’ve seen last couple nights, look very suspect.

8. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:39 am

“You wanna win consistently in today’s game? Have some decent starting pitching, a dominant bullpen with guys throwing 100 and dudes who blast the motherfucking ball out of the park.”

I don’t see where Flav says this is going to ALL happen next season. It’s a process and will take multiple seasons. For myself, I have seen very few Giant regime front offices that have made as many changes as young Z has this season. Please note that his changes were tempered this season by the “old regime” still having influence, e.g., Bochy, Evans, Sabean, and Baer. I’m guessing that will be lessened significantly next season. He will have free rein to influence the daily line up for example. Coupled with one additional season of the core players (Belt, Crawford, and Posey) doing poorly might mean ownership will have seen enough and give him the green light to release one or more of these players.

Frankly, I see as many changes next season, if not more, then what has occurred this season . . . and I think everyone can agree, we saw a lot of changes already. Does that mean we will be competing for a Wild Card next season or even a Division? I don’t know. Sometimes rebuilding means taking 1 or 2 steps back, before you take another step forward (particularly initially).

Me? I’m just glad I can see that changes are going to made and the status quo is unacceptable. By the by, I respect everything Bochy, Baer, Sabevans, etc., built here, but now it’s time for a new management team to take the reins.

• snarkk said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:43 am

Well said, blade. This move back to being competitive for a post season spot will take several years…

• willedav said, on September 12, 2019 at 10:18 am

So where are the “dudes who blast balls out of the park” coming from to help Giants next year? Z making big FA signing for a power bat seems highly doubtful to me.
      solano has 4 this year and gets an XBH every 12 times up. Craw has 11 and gets XBH every 13. I’d love to see solano every day, but he’s not a power hitter on the level of Tatis and I don’t think Dubon is either. Btw Craw Longoria Sandoval giants left side of IF hit 43 bombs. How does that get better?
      Giants got 60 bombs out of the OF btw Pillar Yaz Slater Dick and Austin. If Davis can hit 20 ish and they keep Yaz and Pillar, where are more HRs coming from?

• blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 10:30 am

Willie, you obviously did not read my post completely . . . Take a look again, I indicated not once, not twice, but three times where I said it may be a multi-season process. For example, I like Dubon, but I have zero idea if he has what it takes to be a full time player next season. That’s why it’s so important to let the young guys play right now and during spring training. Coupled with the aforementioned, the scenarios are endless regarding potential trades and minor league call ups (e.g., Bart, Ramos, etc.) next season.

You’re asking the wrong guy about specifics such as “where are the dudes who blast balls out of the park?” Same goes for Flav. How would he know? After all the changes I saw this season, I would not be surprised to see exponentially more next season.

• willedav said, on September 12, 2019 at 12:59 pm

hey if it takes several years, I won’t be paying attention. this year has been hard enough. More 75 W seasons I won’t watch.

• chipower9 said, on September 13, 2019 at 8:34 am

Awesome synopsis, Steve. I agree with you on all points, brother.

• blade3colorado said, on September 13, 2019 at 9:01 am

Thank you Chi . . . Personally, I will pay attention regardless of what record they have. I perceive the Front Office making positive changes now and not just “window dressing” as it seemed to me during the last few years of the Sabevans regime. That being said, in a nod to Willie – the circumstances where I would not pay attention is if I did NOT perceive substantive changes were being made.

Hey, we’re on the wilderness trail, but the head MOFO (Mr. Z) is finally using a damn compass to get back to civilization. lqtm

9. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:45 am

As limpy as we are, I certainly had no hope we would have been even this interesting this year. And the Bochy inexorable march to the front office (or wtf he does) isn’t near as bad as the Bonds deal.

Dubon looks good, Davis? He has potential. Reynolds? Well, they that that one get away . . . Sabean!!!!!

10. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 9:51 am

Well, the pen was built from discards and scrap-heap guys anyway. I don’t see that being a huge lift. We can find a closer from the pieces we have (Anderson).

If we have Bummie, Cueto, and Smargle, we should be in decent shape starter-wise. Webb, or D-Rod, or another mid-level guy should fill out the rotation.

As far as home runs go, we are moving the fences in! Just in time for Belt to not be able to take advantage of it as we trade him to the Yanks and he hits 42 bombs to their ludicrous RF porch.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 12, 2019 at 10:07 am

For what it’s worth – one could also argue that Booby was on this trajectory and Zaidi accelerated it with his moves. Poor Booby.

12. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2019 at 10:14 am

Giants easily made the most roster changes then any other team, I believe it was 62 moves which means Z new going in was needed.His aggressive approach was sorely in need over the laid back Sabes/Evans who couldn’t make any deals are even tried..
    I agree with Willied the whole pitching staff, especially with the pen will be his next big challenge with Gott,Moronta probably out next season. Who do we really have? Maybe Coonrod? Anderson to close?Conor Menez maybe long man?

• willedav said, on September 12, 2019 at 10:27 am

Hey healthy Cueto is gonna be great but look what happened to Bum the other night–after he left with the lead and a potential W Abad and Gustave coughed it up and got the L. As is he and Smrdz only have 10 Ws all season. SPs so rarely go 7 any more so you have to have 3 reliable set up guys behind them like Dyson Watson Smith combo Bochy used so often to perfection.

plus if the other 2 are regularly gone early that means more wear and tear. Giants to me just don’t have depth to cover it for full season unless these young guys figure things out and can command what stuff they have lot better.

13. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 10:30 am

Thing is, 75-70 is a playoff spot. We aren’t that far away from that. Sure we aren’t the mashers of the midway, but look how much that has helped the Dodgers. They will one again be undone by their pen and shakey rotation. There’s no reason not to keep Moronta if he comes back OK. Gott? Meh. Andersomn closed in college so I don’t see a problem there.

If we have 3 solid starters, and it looks like we do, as we all very well know we can go far in the playoffs.

14. willedav said, on September 12, 2019 at 10:32 am

19 total Ws for Smrdz and Bum both with ERAs under 4.00.
    Saw suggestion from someone (Jenkins maybe) Sox fly in Tiant for next scheduled start (with extra day of rest) by Cueto, next week in Boston.
    what a mother for ya that guy was, so fun to watch.

15. djloo27 said, on September 12, 2019 at 11:17 am

After all the guys Sabean stole over the years, I wouldn’t crucify him over Reynolds…

16. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2019 at 11:53 am

Yeah Sabean’s only other real screw up was trading Joe Nathan (who ended up pitching brilliantly as a closer in Minn)for Mr.Cancer AJ Jerkoff!!
    Real team player when Brett Tomko wanted to go over the visitors team LU, and the prick said :I’m busy playing cards ♠️..Which started a fistfight in the clubhouse,and fortunately Sabean realized his fuck up and got rid of him after 1 turmoil after another season!

• unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Liriano had some pretty great years as well. He’s injury prone though.

17. willedav said, on September 12, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Reynolds hit 10 bombs for San Jose 2017. 2 years later he’s raking at ML level after doing better for Pirates minor league teams last year and this.
    Any coincidence Z fires bunch of scouts with him in town?
    In “Astroball”, great read that studies Luhnow etc., his practice was to bring together group of area scouts and analytics guys to discuss an upcoming draft. After one of them scout was overheard saying as how he doubted him and his buddies would be back for next one.

18. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 2:10 pm

Great play by Dubon and Longo.

19. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Craw muffed a perfect strike by Buster. Easy tag on runner. Damn.

20. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Ahhh shit. Hope Davis didn’t break anything.

21. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:05 pm

Can never get enough of “Big Cat”Andres Galaraga’s mammoth blast B/R shows on retro day!
    The orbit launch 🚀 off of Roy Oswalt was estimated at 485ft( maybe short changed him some) back row of bleachers rattling around the Coke Bottle! Still the longest Homer ever to LF..

22. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Getting spanked by the Pirates at home in front off 11,000 folks is a really shitty look.

23. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Yep, If there’s any bonus I’ve never seen the grass look so good 😊

24. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:19 pm

Longo about the only one with a pulse today. That bomb he hit was majestic.

25. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Solano! Whoa . . . We are getting to this pitcher.

26. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Vazquez having difficulty finding the strike zone.

• blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Damn Slater!

27. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:38 pm

That was a nice pitch.

28. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Shit I just watched a replay of Jaylin Davis getting nailed by a pitch on his left wrist, looked bad , and the ball ended back to the pitcher, that’s a lot of force, and straight flush to do that, as the ball will usually stay around the plate..

• unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Yeah, he went straight to the clubhouse for x-rays.

29. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:40 pm

I can’t believe were letting this pitcher off the hook. He has zero command of the strike zone today.

30. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Come on Yaz. Walk off time. Or. not.

Fuck.

31. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Who’s betting on a weak grounder to 2nd?

• unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:43 pm

nailed it. unfortunately.

• blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Spot on Unca . . . You called it. Posey pfffttt!

32. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Can we get a walk the plank 🏴‍☠️ picture?

33. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Wow. Just heard Smargle threw 10 pitches in the first inning, faced 6 batters and gave up 1 run.

34. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 4:31 pm

Black shoes Beede was outstanding on Sept. 7, when he pitched five innings of four-hit ball in a 1-0 victory over the Bums. He did that in LA, thus providing evidence that he can control his emotions and pitch in pressure packed situations. I am really looking forward to tomorrow’s outing. Baby steps of progress with him are fine.

35. snarkk said, on September 12, 2019 at 4:43 pm

This just in.
    Giants suck…

36. Flavor said, on September 12, 2019 at 4:48 pm

just a contusion for Jaylin, Kat come in off the ledge.

37. snarkk said, on September 12, 2019 at 5:01 pm

The way SF is closing down these final weeks, now I realize what Boch means on the intro to his pregame radio show when he says he wants the team to „make some noise“ in his last season. Phhhhtttt….

• blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 5:06 pm

Take heart Tom, on this date last year, we were 0-11 for the month of September. So our rousing 4-8 record thus far for the month is much, much better. Go Giants!

38. gianthead said, on September 12, 2019 at 5:17 pm

This team may lead to Boch getting a heart attack or stroke before he gets four more wins…oh well to getting to 2000 this homestand…

39. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 5:48 pm

From KNBR Murph

• unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Weird, I didn’t type awesome or what?

But are we gonna burn a roster spot for this?

• gianthead said, on September 12, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Is Timmy bringing the smokes???

• gianthead said, on September 12, 2019 at 6:21 pm

Sounds like a Baer-ism to put butts in the seats for the last weekend…

• snarkk said, on September 12, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Any Timmeh sighting day is a good day…

40. alleykat69 said, on September 12, 2019 at 6:17 pm

BF I was so far off the ledge I was clinging by one hand like Sylvester Stallone in “Cliffhanger”

• Flavor said, on September 12, 2019 at 7:04 pm

first ten minutes of that movie were off the hook. Then, not so good.

41. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Yet another reason to dislike this guy . . .

42. blade3colorado said, on September 12, 2019 at 7:12 pm

In fairness, he admitted that he was wrong in what he did and he immediately apologized to Francona and Santana, a team mate who had confronted him. That being said, I do understand a lot of people dislike him for stunts like this.

• snarkk said, on September 12, 2019 at 7:23 pm

I wouldn’t take that guy onto the Giants squad if he played for free. Just too much drama, too much crapola. Bonds was difficult, but he was Bonds. This guy’s talent level doesn’t justify tolerating the BS…

• unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Of course he did. Francona didn’t pull him. Which I prolly would have.

43. snarkk said, on September 12, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Speaking of Cliffhanger.
    Did anyone see “Free Solo” at a theater?
    This is the documentary about Alex Honnold free climbing up El Capitan in about 2 hours.
    No ropes, nothing.
    Just hands and feet, and gigantic balls of steel.
    First time anyone ever did that. Some have called it the greatest feat of human athleticism, ever.
    I get goosebumps and sweat just seeing these youtube on skydiving and stuff.
    This flick is apparently just off the charts, er, wall…

• Macdog said, on September 12, 2019 at 8:31 pm

I saw that a few months ago on the National Geographic channel. Yeah, amazing feat well documented by the film, goes behind the scenes on the guy’s personal life too. Highly recommend watching it.

44. unca_chuck said, on September 12, 2019 at 8:35 pm

I will. My daughter trained with a couple guys in the movie. Back in her climbing days.

45. unca_chuck said, on September 13, 2019 at 7:39 am

Two tickets to paradise. One ticket to heaven . . .

46. snarkk said, on September 13, 2019 at 9:10 am

I honestly do not know any other song by EM. Probably not alone in that. RIP…

47. zumiee said, on September 13, 2019 at 9:48 am

“Take Me Home Tonight” was a huge hit.

48. alleykat69 said, on September 13, 2019 at 9:59 am

Oh man I’m bummed to hear about Eddie Money passing away.He was a legendary rocker who I must of seen about 6-7 times.Besides Two tickets 2 Paradise, his other big hits were,Take me home tonight (with Ronnie Specter on background vocals, awesome 👏 work) I Wanna go Back, Shakin,many more.He was a good friend of Rocker Greg Kin (sp) as well, came on KOME many times in the past.Greg would always kid him about being more popular with more hits then him..
    RIP Eddie and condolences to your family, I know you have a daughter that was singing some background vocals in your band as well, who was quite good 🎤🎼🎸🎹🎷