One Season Ends, Another Begins….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 1, 2019

The Wild Card games are both exciting match ups. Twin used to hate the 1 game WC format, I have always loved it. Kicking off the post season with two game 7’s? Yes please. It sucks for the fans of those teams only getting one game but if you don’t like it get a GM that can build a team to win your division. The WC format is also a good reason AGAINST buying at the deadline. Buying for what? You mortgage possible future stars for a 1 game crap shoot? It’s stupid.

But also awesome…..

On paper Washington looks to have the advantage tonight with the beastly Scherzer going up against an opener. But with the way the game has changed I doubt it plays out that predictably. And tomorrow Oakland has the crafty old vet *Undecided* going for them. He’s tough.

I’ll say Milwaukee and Oakland advance….

And I did this bracket to support our main man Daniel and also because I think I’d be the only bracket out there to hit. You should see how I answered the questions to supplement the bracket, oh my!

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 6.13.25 AM

1. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:00 am

Seeing as we would not have won in 2014 without it, I’ve grown to embrace the play-in game.

Houston looks unstoppable. Power, speed, average, pitching, bullpen, closer.

Brew Crew from the senior circuit.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:17 am

Interesting bracket but I think we get a replay of Houston/LA from 2017. If the A’s can make it to the World Series I’ll be pulling for them.

I know some of you subscribe to The Athletic. Interesting tidbit from Bagg’s latest column that really stood out to me;
    “The Orioles. The Diamondbacks. The Nationals. The Tigers. The Reds. The Twins. The Brewers. The Angels. The Mariners. The Blue Jays. The Cardinals. The Rays. The Padres. The Cubs. The Braves.

That is half the league. Zaidi made at least one deal with all those teams. With the Brewers, Reds and Orioles, he made two. With the Twins, he made three.”

No way Booby or Sebean before him makes positive contact with so many other clubs.

3. gianthead said, on October 1, 2019 at 9:33 am

I think the Cards are only team that can beat SmelLA…Scherzer has not been the old Scherzer of late but Brewers would have not shot at the Flodgers..

4. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 9:44 am

Scherzer is a “STUD” and the Brewers are hurting with Cain (ankle) Braun ( calf strain) and the fact their 0-29 combined against Scherzer doesn’t help their cause.. Nationals roll 6-1..Give me a 3 time Cy Young winner with goofy eyes anytime over a staff of openers..

5. Flavor said, on October 1, 2019 at 9:50 am

As we know all too well, the team that wins the WS isn’t always the best team. It’s the team that gets the hottest. Houston is significantly better than all the other teams but they are dealing with the most pressure, too. If they falter, anything can happen.

6. Flavor said, on October 1, 2019 at 9:50 am

LA has a shitload of pressure, too. What is it, 7 NL West crowns in a row? Pathetic that they still haven’t won it all.

7. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 10:01 am

Because the Dodgers never have the killer instinct to win it all.Their all about their glamour looks, individual stats, with a manager that makes the wrong moves at the wrong time in the playoffs..

8. Macdog said, on October 1, 2019 at 10:01 am

• djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 10:15 am

Hopefully it’s an exit interview…

• wilcojoe said, on October 1, 2019 at 10:49 am

LOL

• alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 11:34 am

For sure lol, and same with Wotus, don’t let the door 🚪 kick you on the way out!!

9. wilcojoe said, on October 1, 2019 at 10:59 am

I think Houston not making it to the WS would be an epic upset. They are just scary good. If there is any weakness it’s that Greinke has never pitched well in big games and I could see him hurting them with a subpar postseason. The bullpen could be a weak spot as well like it was in 2017. Rookie of The Year, Yordan Alvarez ended the last week of the season in a slump, his first ever, so it will be interesting to see how he responds.

10. sandog said, on October 1, 2019 at 12:04 pm

I’d have no problem with BamBam or Wotus being the next manager. I’d also be happy with Maddon or Ron Washington. I know I’m in the minority on here with this take….

As for the tournament, as long as the Dodgers or Cards don’t win, I’ll be happy. I’d like to see the Twins, Rays, or BrewCrew get it done.

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Wotus? Good God man there’s a reason he’s never been picked after 25 interviews

• sandog said, on October 1, 2019 at 1:19 pm

I think it just a bias because his name is not well known.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 1, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Hard to see Wotus getting the nod but I’d be cool with Meulens. If they bring him back it tells me he’s sort of a continuity/bridge guy and they’ll also sign resign Bumgarner.

11. Flavor said, on October 1, 2019 at 12:19 pm

I really think he’s gonna pick Geren

12. Irish Kevin said, on October 1, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Rumor has it the Giants are looking in house first? How would you guys feel about Will Clark? Never coached? It would be interesting.

• sandog said, on October 1, 2019 at 1:20 pm

I dunno—Will is pretty high strung. I’d worry about that.

13. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2019 at 1:46 pm

No way on Clark. He isn’t built to manage. Plus he’s got his son who takes up a lot of his time.

He will pretty much replace Willie Mac as the guy who hangs around the team for the next 30 years.

• djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Have they interviewed anyone else for that position?

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2019 at 3:29 pm

isn’t will clark’s son like at least 18 now????

14. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2019 at 1:49 pm

I’m cool with Bam Bam as well. A few years ago I thought they were grooming Steve Decker for the job, but he vanished into thin air.

15. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2019 at 2:15 pm

This is pretty cool. From Boch (and yes some of this was in his speech on Sunday):

To the greatest fans in baseball:

When I arrived in San Francisco in 2007 as the new Giants manager, I knew I was coming into a storied franchise. I studied up on the team’s history. I read a biography of John McGraw, the New York Giants’ legendary manager. But they didn’t prepare me for the actual experience. Legends walked the hallways. Those first few years, I’d have to remind myself that the guy who just left my office was Willie Mays. I felt a tremendous sense of pride, and also responsibility, in being part of that amazing history.

When we finished fifth in the NL West my first season, and fourth in my second, no one would have blamed Larry Baer and Brian Sabean if they had made a change. But they stuck with me, and you did, too. You can’t imagine what that does for a manager. This game is hard. It tests you mentally and physically every day, for six or seven straight months. You fail way more than you succeed. So the company you keep matters. Not just the GM, or the owners, or the players, but everyone – and in particular the fans who were willing to trust me even before I had earned it.

To be honest, the depth of love this community has for the Giants probably surprised me more than anything else when I took the job. I often saw it from the opposing dugout but you can’t really know it until you experience it here, up close and personal. Every day, I’d step onto the field and see all three decks filled with people in orange and black, in panda hats, giraffe hats, and fake beards. You were loud and rowdy. You were fanatical. And you were fiercely loyal. Starting in our 2010 postseason run through 2017, you set a franchise record, selling out 530 games. I was in awe. It was the second-longest sellout streak in MLB history.

After 40 years in this game, I am absolutely certain there was not, and is not, a better fan base than the one I was fortunate enough to enjoy here for thirteen years. When we won the 2010 World Series, people came up to me in grocery stores and restaurants to tell me how much the championship meant to their mother or even their grandmother, how long they’d been waiting, how happy they were. To know that our team brought joy to the community also brought joy to our players and me because that’s what we play for. Without you, there is no baseball, no business, no television or talk radio, and no opportunity to compete.

I have learned so much as the manager of the San Francisco Giants. About loyalty, sacrifice, trust, courage and resilience. I learned to look beyond the impossible, to “never say die,” that “torture” is better than going home, and together WE ARE GIANT!

Perhaps the most important thing I learned was belief. When people believe in you — I mean really believe in you — you feel invincible. Our guys never doubted that misfortune could be overcome, failure could turn to success, and that they would beat the seemingly insurmountable odds. That is the secret to our three World Series Championships. As players and coaches, we believed in each other, and you believed in us. We did this… TOGETHER. That kind of chemistry is an extraordinary thing. So as I walk out this door, I want you to know that the bond we shared and the memories we created TOGETHER will last my entire life. I hope that is true for you, too.

Kim and I have grown to love this community. Trust me, I never take for granted how incredibly lucky I am to have managed in this GREAT CITY, with you, our GREATEST FANS, and for this STORIED FRANCHISE. I’m going to miss standing on that rail, looking up and seeing you every day. It is so far beyond anything I ever dared dream as a kid growing up in Florida.

Thank you, it’s been a hell of a ride!

(signed)

Bruce Bochy

• djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 3:06 pm

Awesome letter.
      Would it be hypocritical of him to take a manager job elsewhere next season?

16. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 2:30 pm

I guarantee Ron Wotus will not be back with the Giants in any capacity. He’s been carried by the Giants now for years when no other teams wanted him. He had a few courtesy manager interviews and was passed over ( because he stinks)The guys always been a bridesmaid.Then this last year,he was demoted to 3rd base coach, over bench coach,that’s not a recommendation for the next in line candidate for a manager.
    Whoever Zman hires as manager is gonna clean house from pitching coach to bench coach.And especially those no good hitting coaches..

17. snarkk said, on October 1, 2019 at 2:51 pm

I would bet my lunch money that none of Bochy’s coaches in SF return in any way. None. Why would Zman do that. He wants his own manager, his own people. Green sucked as A’s manager. I’d be concerned if he’s the choice…

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Geren, not Green…

18. djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 2:56 pm

I like Bam Bam but he’s gotta be part of the house cleaning.
    I soured on him some when he publicly campaigned for the Yankee job before Boone got it.
    Me and a few others here thought he should’ve taken over this season as an audition…

• alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Good thing about Bam Bam he speaks 5 languages so he can coach overseas are anywhere you need a translator..

19. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 3:03 pm

I’m thinking Raul Ibanez will be a finalist.
    Worked as a special advisor under Z in LA in 2018, itching to get his chance.Whoever it is I just pray he has some backbone and doesn’t have to be a puppet are yes man to the FO.. Yeah I’m sure that will be impossible though..

20. djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Martin Luther King’s very own family believe he was killed by a man named Raul – not James Earl Ray…

• zumiee said, on October 1, 2019 at 5:42 pm

In the song Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote about John Lennon’s assassination, “Empty Garden Song,” there’s a line that goes something like: “It’s hard to believe how much damage one insect can do.” In the case of political assassinations, it’s hard for people to accept that one insect did so much damage. They want there to be more to it than that. And there basically isn’t, IMO. A lonely loser gunman killed MLK, and a lonely loser gunman killed JFK, IMO.

• djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Bugliosi believed Oswald acted alone.
        That was good enough for me…

21. djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 5:21 pm

A complete new staff might revitalize the left over core – or upset them enough to waive their no trade clauses.
    Either way, the comfort level should take a hit…

22. djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 5:33 pm

No lead is safe anywhere, anymore.
    They used to only say that at Fenway and Wrigley (if the wind was blowing out)…

23. zumiee said, on October 1, 2019 at 5:46 pm

A lot of people believe the Nats have the best chance of knocking off the Dodgers in the NL playoffs; but they may not even get past the WC game. Wouldn’t that be so Nats? They’ve never won a playoff series. The Nats gotta Nat.

24. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 5:46 pm

With the Giants only scoring 271 runs in 81 home games, opponents thought their leads were in the bag..

25. Macdog said, on October 1, 2019 at 6:27 pm

26. djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Ernie Johnson has the weakest PBP voice I’ve ever heard.
    He is so dull…

27. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Pom Pom Pom Pom Pomeranz does his job. Fuck the Nats. Even without Harper I still don’t like them.

28. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Pomenraz 6 up 6 down is that the same guy who pitched for us??

29. blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2019 at 7:47 pm

On a road trip visiting friends in Colorado and California (just arrived in the bay area). Consequently, I didn’t see the last series with LA. Maybe a good thing. I really didn’t think things could get worse after the 15-0 whipping they gave us on the last game of last season. This entire series, especially the last game came close.

Thank you for sharing the Bochy letter Unca. Quite an amazing man! When I get time, I want to find the video with his speech that he gave at the ball park. Man, I am loving this bay area weather. I hope you’re all well!

30. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2019 at 7:56 pm

ooops

31. Macdog said, on October 1, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Oh my, the Brewers RF.

32. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Wow.. Unbelievable Billy Buckner fuckup in RF clears the bases as the Nats take the lead 4-3!!

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Thanks buddy!

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Quite impressed that he seemed so relaxed speaking almost contemporaneously.

33. Macdog said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Go Nats!

34. djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Brewers coulda used Sweet Lou…

35. djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:15 pm

I wonder if the Nats still have many old Expo fans up in Montreal.
    Seems like they completely ignore their history…

36. Macdog said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Nats finally advance . . . except the Division Series is still only as far as they’ve ever gotten.

37. Flavor said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:30 pm

that inning was ridiculous. What kind of angle on the ball was Grisham taking? It’s like he had no plan whatsoever. Hader was overthrowing, you could just feel something weird was coming….
    And just like THAT my bracket is BUSTED!
    Oh well. Go A’s, I have no problem rooting for them right now for some reason…..

38. Flavor said, on October 1, 2019 at 8:31 pm

39. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 1, 2019 at 9:21 pm

Like others here, I hate the Nats too, and their announcers, and their fans. I guess I’ll just have to try to hate them a little less in the next round.

40. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 1, 2019 at 9:26 pm

And, not that it matters one bit, but I will never believe Oswald acted alone. Too many coincidences such as the CIA knocking off South Vietnam president Diem 3 weeks before JFK was shot. We’ll probably never know. I keep waiting for someone on their death bed to reveal something. As time goes on, we’ll definitely never know…

• djloo27 said, on October 1, 2019 at 9:50 pm

I thought all kinds of classified stuff was supposed to come out in 2013 (after 50 years had passed).
      I don’t recall anything new.
      Big Jack Ruby fan here, BTW…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 1, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Yeah, I remember that too, and yes, not much new. Trump also released *new* things a couple years ago, but not much there. I don’t know. I’m not a big time conspiracy buff, but there were just too many powerful people who didn’t like Kennedy’s thinking about stuff, especially the industrial military complex which wanted a prolonged conflict in SE Asia, which JFK did not want. Oh well.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 1, 2019 at 10:04 pm

I’ve just always tended to think that the powers that be didn’t think the American people would be handle the truth (cue up Jack Nicholson). Kind of like that guy who said this week that people wouldn’t be able to handle finding proof of life on Mars. Or the truth of UFOs, etc. I don’t know… I’ve kinda always liked knowing the truth..

41. mrsprtdude said, on October 1, 2019 at 10:23 pm

Glad Nats won. Best chance to beat LA

42. snarkk said, on October 1, 2019 at 11:25 pm

Just watched that highlight of the 3 run error by Grisham.
    I don’t know who that dude is, but he looked like Vlad Guerrero out there in RF at ATT in the 2010 Series.
    What a disaster…