Baseball, Football, Celebration

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 14, 2019

Pretty straight forward day: Cardinals in a must win game. Green Bay only 4.5 fav’s over the Lions? And with all that going on the Italian-Americans celebrate their day. Feel like this is probably a bigger deal back in New York….

1. willedav said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:36 am

Lot of questionable history around who he was and what he did. Very enigmatic guy, Columbus.
    I always think of Columbus Parker a shooting guard I saw play for Johnson CSmith ( D II school out of North Carolina) in ’90s who once hit 9 3s in a game. ESPN would show these DII games of traditional all black schools every once in a while, like Virginia Union etc. And NBA players did come out of those leagues.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 9:14 am

And I think of mob boss Joe Colombo who was shot in Columbus Circle on Italian-American Unity Day (1971?)

• alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2019 at 9:51 am

Any relationship to Joe Bonnano aka Joe Bananas the Italian Crime Boss Rackateer ??

2. alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2019 at 9:57 am

How about the incredible night for Carlos Correa?
    Not only does he save the game with a brilliant heads up play off a ball off of Altuve’s glove and throws out a runner at the plate in a 2-2 game, he goes and hits the walkoff Bomb 💣 to win it!!

• Macdog said, on October 14, 2019 at 10:04 am

He needs to get moved up in the order to 5th.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 11:39 am

In his prime, I thought Jim Ray Hart was the prototype # 5 hitter behind the Willies…

3. zumiee said, on October 14, 2019 at 10:04 am

Columbus Street in SF, of course, is the historic center of Italian-Americans in SF. The great DiMaggio baseball family, of course, was from that general area. Joe continued to have a house in SF for his whole life. He and Marilyn were married in the big cathedral on Columbus St. I once walked into that cathedral just to see what it looked like inside. That area became a big area for the Beats later. Today, the concert venue Bimbo’s is in that area. I’ve seen a lot of cool shows there, although haven’t been there in a long time.

• Bozo said, on October 14, 2019 at 11:11 am

Late 70s early 80s I worked at a shop in the Cannery. On Sundays I had to go in early to vacuum the store. Back then you could park for free all day at the end of Van Ness if you could find a spot. One early Sunday I parked there and was walking through Aquatic Park. As I passed the bocce ball court, I see Mr. Coffee himself sitting alone on a park bench. You have to understand that I was really really hungover and walking by him with my hands in my pockets, head down and just slouching along. I sortta glance at him as I go by and took maybe three more steps before my brain kicks in. I do one of those double takes where you almost break your neck and as I tried to speak the only thing I could stammer out was “uhh, uhh”. So hanging my head back down and continuing to stumble along, I heard him crackup laughing.
      One early morning I made Joe DiMaggio laugh, so I’ve got that going for me.

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2019 at 11:24 am

Great story 👍

• Bozo said, on October 14, 2019 at 11:55 am

Thanks, but you rarely saw him alone, so I really blew it. He used to hang at Liverpool Lils and a couple other joints on Lombard but he always had a crew around him.

4. alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2019 at 1:44 pm

So maybe Cardinals main goal tonight first is to get a base hit before the 7th inning…

5. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2019 at 2:33 pm

See below

6. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2019 at 2:35 pm

columbo

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Awesome. You gotta love that show. He was the master of just one more question…..

7. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Sunday Night Mystery Movies, baby! Columbo and McCloud. I think there were others but those were my faves.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 4:01 pm

I couldn’t be bothered.
      Too busy jerking off over Hee Haw..

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Another pleasant conversation destroyed…

• alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2019 at 5:17 pm

Those Petticoat Junction Girls were pretty hot also..

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Absolutely, Kat. That show was a major workout for me…

8. zumiee said, on October 14, 2019 at 5:32 pm

I was fond of Samantha’s hippy cousin Serena.

9. alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2019 at 5:46 pm

Cardinals quickly falling apart.. 2-0 as Ozuna screws up..

10. alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Make that 4-0 as Cards are folding their Cards..

11. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2019 at 5:56 pm

I saved it all for Valerie Bertinelli and Kristy McNichol. I guess I’m a little younger than youse guys.

Different Strokes, indeed.

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2019 at 5:58 pm

lol. I was all about Suzanne Somers and MaryAnne from GI

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Pull down the shades…

12. zumiee said, on October 14, 2019 at 6:29 pm

When you get old enough, Mrs. Howell looks really great.

13. zumiee said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:11 pm

After I called Kendrick terrible he turned into Hank Aaron.
    I unjinxed him. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Aaron doesn’t get the respect he deserves…

• willedav said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:29 pm

Totally agree. Like Clemente, he came along at time of multiple HOF OFs, just in NL. A/S games NL could have put two HOF OFs together by themselves in those days.

14. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Those 2 illegal hands to the face penalty on Flowers were wrong, but isn’t what he did defensive holding?
    You’re allowed to grab a guy inside the shoulder pad and hang on?

• alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:30 pm

In the trenches pretty much anything goes Loo..
      But a game shouldn’t be decided by Lucky Luciano and Joe Bonnano and the pay 💰offs to referees..

15. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:23 pm

NFL officiating these days is fucking God awful. Luckily none of these terrible calls has hit the Niners, but Jesus. This game had 3 blatantly bad calls that gave Green Bay 10 points to put them over the top.

16. willedav said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Nolan Arenado got 8 yrs @$260.
    what will Rendon command? Supposedly Nats have talked about extension.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm

I think he already turned down $300 something.
      Where the fuck do you put all that money?

• alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:35 pm

They offered him supposedly 7/210 he turned down.
      I get that he’s 30 but he’s a better player then Arenado imo, so he’s still going to get a huge payday going forward..

17. willedav said, on October 14, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Rendon will be 30 next June. Boras is his agent.