Sports Back

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 17, 2019

Definitely missed baseball last night. You just get used to having it on every night, right? And then winter kicks in and you forget about it. Then Chi posts that poem about that dude staring out the window watching spring come or leaves fall or some shit and boom! We back at it.

I like seeing 2 studs lined up to face off against each other but I’d also like to see them get lit up for once. We’ve seen some great pitching this post season. How bout Grienke and Tanaka get hammered for once? Doubt it. It’s cold, good pitching weather.

BIG showdown tonight in Denver. Chiefs by 3? Any time a team has to go to Nepal to play I find reasons to bet the Broncos.

1. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2019 at 6:40 am

Yeah, it really sucked to not have baseball last night. I was looking forward to seeing Houston put a whoop-ass beat-down on the Yank-Mees.

In addition to the NFL tonight, we have Flav’s own Stanford Cardinal squaring-up against UCLA. Personally, I like watching college football more than the NFL. The NFL game just has lost its flow, and for me is just damned near unwatchable sometimes. Although I have really enjoyed watching the latest incarnation of the Forty Niners. That D is bad ass!

Funny you mention the poem/quote. That is a quote from the great Rogers Hornsby:

“People ask me what I do in the winter when there is no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”

The poem I often share at the end of the baseball season (and on opening day) is the one from Bart Giamatti (former baseball commissioner) and is titled “The Green Fields of the Mind.” Beautiful stuff…

So, hope they get the baseball game in. Go Stros! Go Cardinal! Go Chefs!

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:35 am

i mostly reference that poem for the lqtm that I get only being able to recall generally what it is. Hope that doesn’t offend you my man, keep posting it!

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:47 am

No offense taken at all, my friend. Just one of the things I like to share, here.

2. Macdog said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:54 am

I definitely want to see Tanaka get lit up for once. But Greinke? It would be shocking if he didn’t get bombed. He got pounded by the Rays in Game 3 of the ALDS, and was slightly better in Game 1 vs. the Yanks at home. Not only is it going to be chilly tonight in the Bronx, the wind is crazy right now in the tri-state area, and if it’s blowing out toward RF, it’ll be bombs away.

3. blade3colorado said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:00 am

This is frickin’ hilarious . . . Jason Heyward’s brother arguing with a robot. The future of baseball? lqtm.

Here’s the article . . . https://sports.yahoo.com/robot-ump-mlb-jacob-heyward-giants-balls-strikes-051133117.html?src=rss

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:22 am

lqtm…

Scottsdale Scorpions…I was not aware we had one of the Heyward boys in our pipeline…

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:33 am

Here’s the problem with the strike zone: when that crossed the plate it hit the bottom of the strike zone. The catcher caught it after it dove down. So maybe these players need to make adjustments

4. mrsprtdude said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:35 am

My friend goes to AZFL every year. He told me Bart got hurt. Anyone know what happened?
    Grienke is a good pitcher. Not likely to get lit up 3 starts in a row. I’m going Stros in 5
    Hoping for Straus / Cole and Scherzer/ Verlander matchups in WS. Only way to be excited about it…

Big giant NO to kapler

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2019 at 10:22 am

5. Macdog said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:51 am

Bart got hit by a pitch on his hand, the second time that’s happened, and has a broken right thumb.

6. wilcojoe said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:09 am

Hey Loo, I am sure you have fond memories of former Chiefs kicker Lin Elliott. He lives in our Waco neighborhood. Haven’t met him yet but his son and mine were playing catch with the football this past weekend in front of our house.

• alleykat69 said, on October 17, 2019 at 10:42 am

That’s cool WJ!
      Maybe you can setup one of those cheesy plastic goal post and see if Lin Elliot still has what it takes to make a 3 pointer..

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2019 at 1:57 pm

I remember the Lin Elliot game all too well.
      He stunk it up, but that team had no business going 13-3 with Steve Bono IIRC.
      There was about 3 feet of snow in Brooklyn that day…

• wilcojoe said, on October 17, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, I knew you would remember that infamous game, which would be his last.

7. gianthead said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:10 am

I still can see the Giants making a run at Cole…

8. alleykat69 said, on October 17, 2019 at 10:23 am

Heard Cole wants to stay on the west coast, he’s from so cal.I think Crawford who’s Cole’s brother-in-law needs to lean on him more at the thanksgiving spread to get him to become a Giant..
    3/95? Buys a lot of turkeys 🦃

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2019 at 10:50 am

Fuck Cole. 300 mil for a guy that’s gonna need TJ in a year or two, no thanks

9. alleykat69 said, on October 17, 2019 at 11:12 am

Yeah but we have no other pitching once Bum walks..I just don’t want Z to sign a couple of retreads..

10. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 11:38 am

Ooops.

11. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 11:41 am

Smargle and Cueto? I think Bummie stays for what that’s worth. I think he’ll take something like 3/$80. I think he still feels he owes something to the Giants for his dirt bike fuckup.

Funny thing about that strike that Jacob took is, no ump would call that a strike, based on where the catcher caught it.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2019 at 11:47 am

That’s why I said hitters need to adjust. When it crossed the plate it hit the bottom of the zone

12. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 11:57 am

For 120 years that hasn’t been a strike. K’s are going to skyrocket when they make the switch. I think more strikes are mistakenly called balls than vice versa.

13. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Hey, Chuck,I found a new paint scheme for your Harley

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Cool paint job, but now something I would personally rock on my sled.

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Also, if it was my build, I would have swapped the chrome on the frame and wheels with black powder coating, and would have run a black exhaust pipe instead of a chrome one. That’s just me…

14. alleykat69 said, on October 17, 2019 at 12:34 pm

That’s one bad ass Kawasaki!!
    And with Joe Cool on it even more impressive!
    Liked to have had Dwight with “The Catch” on there as well…

15. alleykat69 said, on October 17, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Is anybody getting sick of the Giants managers list of rejects yet? Bam Bam,Wotus,Kotsay,Ibanez,Kapler,Venable,Matheny,Geren,Quatao(sp Tampa bay)? If you sat in any dugout of all 32 teams your on the next Giants manager list especially a quality control guy, basically a guy controlled by the organization commonly known as a “Puppet”

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2019 at 4:37 pm

I mean, it’s underwhelming for sure. Matheny was Bochy’s bitch in the post season. He would definitely bum me out.

16. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2019 at 5:34 pm

They should interview Chili Davis who is presently the very respected hitting coach of the Mets…

• chipower9 said, on October 17, 2019 at 6:10 pm

I love that idea, Loo….

17. chipower9 said, on October 17, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Houston….Bombs Away, again.

18. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Andy Reid is the dumbest motherfucker to ever walk the Earth.
    Waiting for official announcement that the season’s over…

• Macdog said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:46 pm

What’d Reid do now?

19. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:07 pm

What’d I miss?

20. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:12 pm

Google Pat Mahomes.
    I’m too sick to type…

21. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:31 pm

He was walking fine to the x-ray room. Dislocated kneecap. They popped it back in place. He’ll be fine. Unless something is torn. But he sure looked OK walking under the building.

Poor Denver is flat awful. Ol’ horseface can’t find a quarterback to save his life. He shoulda taken Kaep 3 years ago.

• unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Then again, KC should take a look.He’s kinda similar to Mahomes.

Kinda.

22. Macdog said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Hey Loo, QB Kyle Shurmur is on the Chiefs practice squad.

23. alleykat69 said, on October 17, 2019 at 7:51 pm

I just lmao when Elway brought in “The Human Statue” Joe who blows Flacco to QB this putrid team🤮

24. alleykat69 said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Tells you what little faith the Chiefs have in their running game when you have to use your star QB with a bad ankle to boot to get a yard ! That’s on the Walrus Andy Reid!!

• Macdog said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Is that what set off Loo’s 7:04 post?

• unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:06 pm

• Macdog said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Thanks, I’ve been watching Astros-Yanks. Looks like Chiefs-Broncos will finish well ahead of the playoff game.

25. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:04 pm

It still pains me much more than it should that Joe fucking Flacco beat us in the Super Bowl. If Harbs runs Gore, we are 6-0 . . .

26. alleykat69 said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Got that’s right Chuck!
    I can’t believe they won 2 Super Bowls with Joe Flacco&Trent Dilfer????

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:29 pm

I had no idea Flacco was so washed up.
      He moves like him:

27. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:19 pm

Pretty sure the year KC won the SB they went 6-0 with Mike Livingston at QB while Dawson was injured.
    I guess the MRI will tell…

28. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Yankis gagging mightily. Think Boone survives?

I guess with all the injuries they dealt with he will, but wow. This ain’t as bad as the Cards, but it’s getting close.

29. Macdog said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:04 pm

YankEEEEs.

30. zumiee said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:24 pm

If the Astros eliminate the Yanks, Boone and Roberts start next season on hot seats. Anything less than a World Series title gets them fired, I’m guessing.

31. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:40 pm

And it only took 4 hours & 19 minutes…

• Macdog said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Worth every second.

32. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:40 pm

I can’t believe Roberts survived.

33. snarkk said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I’m back here w Mrs. snarkk in Saratoga, NY on a fall foliage trip after visiting the older snarkette at Drew University in New Jersey. Beautiful scenery in Mass and Vermont in between some raindrops. Waitress at our restaurant tonight said her dad has worked at Saratoga track over 40 years doing various things like working the starting gate, tending the horses and to the stables there etc. Intetesting stories. I’m looking forward to a spa experience tomorrow. Looks like it’s going to be Stros v Nats; the Stros should handle that…

34. snarkk said, on October 17, 2019 at 9:44 pm

BTW, I was listening to WFAN last week and some clown announcer was predicting a yanks sweep over Stros, at worst a 4-1 win. What a joke…