Bum Worth

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 21, 2019

This is kind of a *nothing* article, it doesn’t even predict what he may get offered in free agency.

And I think the answer is already in. If teams weren’t interesting in trading anything for Bum for a post season run, supposedly the main reason you want him, then why would they pony up big dollars to get him in the regular season (when he is obviously less effective)?

Something to kick around on this off day.

1. zumiee said, on October 21, 2019 at 6:46 am

“All of those moments, adding up to a 2.11 career postseason ERA in more than 100 innings, will be a hot topic throughout Bumgarner’s free agency. If a contending team believes that success was due in large part to some intangible qualities that can remain durable as Bumgarner ages, that will bode well for him. But how many modern front offices will buy into that idea?”

That’s the big question. The new GMs will struggle with this question regarding Bum.

2. wilcojoe said, on October 21, 2019 at 7:04 am

The two teams most in need of postseason “intangibles” are the Yankees and the Dodgers. If your the Dodgers and you really want to get in the Giants craw, why wouldn’t you make that move, even if it’s an overpay?

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2019 at 7:05 am

I mean, the no-move is the answer. They probably offered shit, there was no way Z could accept it considering his standing with the SF community. Or, worse yet, they offered nothing….

• wilcojoe said, on October 21, 2019 at 7:15 am

I don’t think there was any chance Z would trade him to LA. Him leaving as a free agent for LA is out of his control, especially after they make him the QO.

3. wilcojoe said, on October 21, 2019 at 7:11 am

Don’t forget Kershaw’s classy move when he threw nothing but fastballs to Bum in his last at bat. They may have had more meaning to it than you think.

4. willedav said, on October 21, 2019 at 7:27 am

2012 Vogs at age 34 made 4 starts in playoffs and gave up 3 runs in 24 innings. He was hardly ace of the staff but got job done and Giants won every one of those games.
    Think there would still be teams interested in Bum but hope SF is able to retain him. Giving him the QO would suck and is something I hope wouldn’t happen.

5. willedav said, on October 21, 2019 at 7:32 am

Almost done with Andre Iguodala’s “Sixth Man” pretty good read. His takes on NBA guys he has played for and with over years are quite interesting; he really respected and liked Mark Jackson. Has some interesting comments to make about coverage by press and media, also the “business” side of college and pro sports.
    Would really like to know his feelings about GS dumping him off to Memphis, who he has no intention of playing for but doubt that comes out.

6. blade3colorado said, on October 21, 2019 at 8:08 am

Similar to what Wilco said at 7:04am, “The Boss” is rolling over in his grave at the incompetence of his son and GM. Why?

Hal Steinbrenner didn’t want to take on Verlander’s money in the summer of 2017, and his general manager, Brian Cashman, didn’t want to trade Miguel Andujar and Clint Frazier for Cole, the former Yankees draft pick, in January of 2018.

7. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2019 at 9:14 am

I’m more and more convinced Bummie stays. If we didn’t get any decent offers last July, his value has only gone down. We should offer him 3/$90 and be done with it.

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2019 at 10:41 am

4/$100 even better, IMO…

8. chipower9 said, on October 21, 2019 at 10:50 am

Interesting read on Bum. I am with Charlie in thinking Bum’s value has gone down since the FA offers of July. I too have called for a three year deal in the same neighborhood (3/90), and I think Bum would accept such an offer. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

9. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2019 at 10:54 am

Bum sure did screw himself with that lowball Giants offer he took on his extension.Cost him a huge payday in his prime at 27.Now at 30,will he be able to cash in big? Theirs always a team that will overpay,just don’t think it will be the Giants this time..

• blade3colorado said, on October 21, 2019 at 11:01 am

Agree with your take AK. As I alluded to in my last post, Yankee and Dodger fans are pissed about their teams not adding missing pieces that may have put them over the top. I already said how the Yankees screwed up . . . Regarding the Dodgers, they should have added an elite closer at the trade deadline – which they contemplated, but did not do.

Also, no way, no how, the Giants do not place a qualifying offer on Bum. That’s a foregone conclusion in my opinion.

10. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2019 at 12:24 pm

Frankly, I don’t think Bummie sees it that wa, AK. He’s made more money than his entire town has, times 100. He was born in a log cabin his dad built, ffs.

He’s not tied to the money grab as so many players are. He seems like a down-to-the-roots southerner, so I’m pretty sure Bummie doesn’t want to end up in New York City. Cali is a long way physically from the South, but it sure allows him to be the guy he is in relative obscurity out here.

He ain’t going anywhere.

• alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2019 at 12:35 pm

New York City and Pace picantes just don’t cut it!!Bum would never adapt to that lifestyle and have to be clean shaven to boot!!
      Man I had no idea Bum was born in a log cabin that his dad built.Thats right out of “The Beverly Hillbilly’s
      I can see Jed telling little Bum, grab your slingshot and fetch some squirrels 🐿 to shoot so Ma can skin for dinner…

11. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2019 at 12:24 pm

Agree Blade it’s a no brainer they offer the QO..
    It only makes sense to get a draft pick then nothing at all.So I believe it’s 10 days after Bum gets the Giants offer he has to commit to it, (whatever the set price is for atop notch FÃ)are continue to check his value as a FÃ? And I also believe that every teams 1st rd pick is protected but if you have more then one the second one is not protected?

12. Flavor said, on October 21, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Offering Bum the QO is the right thing for the team but it would totally fuck him. Is that really the karma we want haunting us?

13. Flavor said, on October 21, 2019 at 12:47 pm

I mean, you could say “accept 3/75 or with hit you with QO”. Is that black mail?

14. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2019 at 12:48 pm

5/35,000.00 that’s the last contract Bum signed that topped out at 12 mil this last year!
    What a steal for the Giants.
    You know he’s gonna need alittle more vittles on the table and milking cows 🐄 on this next contract. Yeah he might live a hick life, but come on he won’t be that dumb of a redneck on this last big payday..

15. chipower9 said, on October 21, 2019 at 2:43 pm

So, who has everyone got in the series? Any hardcore NL loyalists?

I want mainly to see a suspenseful seven game series, and lean a bit to the Nats as a NL loyalist, although I dig Altuve. Something that would have changed that loyalist logic is if the fucking bums were representing the NL.

16. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Pitching now sets up nicely for Stros with Cole starting now in gm1 then Grienke &Verlander, though it’s no slouch to have a more rested Scherzer &Strasburgh.Bullpen advantage totally goes to Stros for sure.Should be a great series with 2 deserving teams, unlike the dogpile who’s proven the last few years that their not cut out to win a championship!!
    Would be ok to see the Nats win it and erase the heart break of the Expos past, who to this day can’t stand ex Dodger Rick Monday who homered off Steve Rodgers to end their postseason back in 81??

17. djloo27 said, on October 21, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Jim Rome says pitching to Altuve was the dumbest move in history.
    If you care what he thinks…

• Flavor said, on October 21, 2019 at 4:51 pm

That’s only a legit take if he said it before Altuve came to the plate. I mean, it’s an obvious take with Marisnick on deck but he can’t spout off about it being the dumbest move in history only after he knows it didn’t work out….

18. Flavor said, on October 21, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Chi— I don’t have a team I’m rooting for. I play the showdown at draftking’s so I usually have 3/4 players from each team–keeps me interested from start to finish.
    I like a lot of the Astro players and I love the old Houston uni’s. But I’d also like to see Washington win it all to further embarrass Bryce Harper as the loser he is.
    So I guess I don’t really care who wins.

• chipower9 said, on October 22, 2019 at 7:53 am

With the exception the drafkings stuff, my sentiments, too. Good luck with your players…hope you win a boatload of money, Flav.

19. unca_chuck said, on October 21, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Yeah, the long disappointing history of the Expos gets me to lean in their direction. Somewhere in some dark and dusty bar in Montreal there are a few die-hard fans crying in their Molsons and cheering them on.

20. alleykat69 said, on October 21, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Rick Monday till this day is hated in Montreal.The following year after his dramatic HR to knock out the Expos dream of a championship, he went into a restaurant with teammate Steve Yeager for dinner and drinks,the general manager came over to their table and said you have to leave, Monday says what’s the problem? The GM said I don’t have a issue but these 6 guys at this other table say they want to kick your ass!So they left probably a wise choice..
    Then their was this by ex Expos player Warren Cromartie ..”I’m a big fan of Monday ever since he pulled the flag up.He was a student of the game.Every now and again I wake up in a cold sweat thinking about that son of a bitch.And every time I see him I just want to punch his fucking lights out.”

• djloo27 said, on October 21, 2019 at 8:48 pm

I hate him, too since the last Friday of the ’82 season…

21. willedav said, on October 21, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Flav’s right, dropping the QO on Bum is messed up move.
    No way he takes it and pushes his free agency out another season.
    Also NO way any team signs him and gives SF the comp pick. No FO does that now.
    so bottom line if they can’t work out reasonable extension Giants lose him for nothing and force Bum to sit til after June draft, no $$ no ST no baseball.
    Just think that’s a rotten way to treat the man.

22. mrsprtdude said, on October 21, 2019 at 11:26 pm

I’m rooting for the Nats! Strasbourg in game one makes more sense to me. I’m a fan of schurzer, but he hasn’t pitched as well lately.

23. chipower9 said, on October 22, 2019 at 7:57 am

Cool to see all the Expo references, and the hate for Rick Monday (lqtm). I too am leaning Nats for all the reason mentioned, and also just because I am a NL (real baseball) loyalist. Again, the exception to that loyalty would be if the bums were representing the Sr Circuit.