Surprising Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 23, 2019

Well, I guess that was good for the Nats. Steal game 1. But goddamn they felt all-out to do it, right? We’ll see what happens tonight with Stras but maybe they’ll play it differently now that they’ve gotten the first one.

Smoltz can be a little irritating with his “for the fans out there who don’t know” take but for the most part I like his comments. Even Buck doesn’t grate on me anymore but maybe that’s only because the Giants aren’t in it…..

1. unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2019 at 7:44 am

Fuck Buck. I’ll never like Buck. He’s up there with Bob (I-know-everything-so-shut-the-fuck-up) Costas. He talks about nothing endlessly.

Turner goes deep in the hole to save a run and tries to get the 3rd out at 2nd base, so naturally Smoltz praises the runner for getting to 2nd. Like what? He was gonna shortcut to 3rd base? Same with the fly ball. the runner can’t go too far cuz there was a pretty good chance the ball would get caught. It’s like he tries to find stupid things to note to show how brilliant he is.

And this was the 2 innings i had the sound on.

2. unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:03 am

This is pretty funny though.

• chipower9 said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:20 am

Hey, it isn’t just NY! I am feeling a bit short-changed out here on the Left Coast, so FUCK JOE BUCK!

• unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2019 at 12:28 pm

At least he’s aware that the world hates him ,. . ,

3. willedav said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:13 am

Also maybe surprising to some but Clips stole game 1 battle for LA without Paul George after weathering early AD storm. Man are they loaded, with tremendous bench and the best player in entire league as he showed last night in K Leonard.

LA still has major personnel issues, especially in back court (um you aren’t playing warrior scrubinis anymore) and perimeter shooting. Warriors might be doomed but man Quinn Cook just sucks some times, like last night. Good guy but won’t be missed. and no one looks more out of place than JaVale, who starts but never gets touch with LeBron and Anthony Davis. Dwight Howard, why? Guy is still useless. Kentavious Caldwell Pope played 27 minutes and forgot to score.

Clips bench guy JaMichael Green hit 4 3s…entire Laker team outside Danny Green (great night 7-9) was 6-24.
    And despite height disadvantage Clips shot 31-50 on 2 pt. shots. Just smarter more talented team.

• unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2019 at 10:23 am

Yeah, watching what the Warriors have as their current lineup, and most of them are under 23, it’s gonna be an early struggle. Once their bigs are healthy, I’m still not sure how this works out, but the team prolly doesn’t get settled down till mid January. If then. Not having Klay for most of the season is going to really hurt the defense (no Iggy, no Livingston, etc.).

From what I saw of D’Angelo, he and Steph sure have the ability to blitz the shit of of teams if they get hot.

4. chipower9 said, on October 23, 2019 at 9:57 am

Hey Kat – re: my comment last night that I am ready to buy Soto a beer when he turns 21 (you chimed-in with the same). Looks like Friday is the day to pay-up. Soto will turn 21, and be able to legally drink a beer.

5. alleykat69 said, on October 23, 2019 at 10:28 am

Sounds like a plan Chi!
    I’ll buy the rounds for us&and my youngsterJuan Soto, who’s my hero for making a smug and talented Gerrit Cole look just mortal for one start!Drink up Juanyou deserve it,and to party with a couple of legends in are own minds Chi&Kat what could possibly go wrong??

6. snarkk said, on October 23, 2019 at 10:59 am

I tried to find WSeries last night on radio. Finally found it on KNBR 1050, which I can’t get without tons of static here in the East Bay. Turned it off.
    Baseball is on the decline, no question. Outside of following your local team, nobody cares. More people watching opening NBA games.
    Waiting for Series to end so the offseason moves get started…

• chipower9 said, on October 23, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Not sure that is all true about baseball declining. All of the folks I hang with (most Giants, and a few A’s fans), who also follow the NFL and NBA are into the series. I definitely plan to follow-it, and would watch the WS over NBA games all day, every day, and twice on Sunday.

7. alleykat69 said, on October 23, 2019 at 1:09 pm

If it wasn’t for all the freakin stupid ass penalties in football it could be more enjoyable to watch.But teams like the Patriots and Packers who don’t need any help by the incompetent refs especially how the Lions got rear ended against the Pack is just not good for the game. Yeah I get nobody gives a Rats ass about them,but it’s all to common every week when a underdog outplayed an opponent only to lose in the end by refs who keep every last gasp drives alive with head scratching calls.Every 3rd and long is a guaranteed penalty that would of ended a game, now I just expect it every time..

• Flavor said, on October 23, 2019 at 1:40 pm

i was watching some old Raider highlights from the 70s the other day. Goddamn, it’s no wonder all those fuckers have CTI, dudes were just out there laying WASTE to each other on the field. It was actually kinda fucked up to see defensive players repeatedly try to injure a WR going over the middle of the field….

8. alleykat69 said, on October 23, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Yeah those were some brutal days.Jack”The Assassin” Tatum laying out a defenseless Daryl Stingley and paralyzing him still brings a disturbing feeling to me.Not sure if Tatum even visited him in the hospital are either made amends?

9. wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2019 at 3:45 pm

I’ve warmed to Buck over the years as well. He’s actually got a self deprecating sense of humor. Someone was caught on camera wearing a “Joe Buck Sucks” shirt during the ALCS and he tweeted a still shot of it asking if “anyone know where I can get one of those shirts…Asking for a friend.”

His big game calls are pretty epic. Ishikawa and Altuves walk offs were up there with the all time greats. He knows to shut up and let the picture tell the story. That’s what makes those two calls so great.

• Flavor said, on October 23, 2019 at 4:17 pm

another great thing about both those calls: he times both of them to perfection. Right when the ball leaves the yard it’s like “to the world series…” or whatever it was he said, I can’t remember the exact wording

• wilcojoe said, on October 23, 2019 at 4:26 pm

I noticed that too and last night I was paying extra attention to his calls. The dude doesn’t get fooled. You never hear him get too excited on a fly ball off the bat like so many others when it turns out to be a routine out.

10. djloo27 said, on October 23, 2019 at 5:30 pm

What was the point of that attempted steal of third?

11. unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2019 at 6:30 pm

Meh. He’s still too smarmy for me. His dumb-ass nicknames. I still love hearing the wholehearted disappointment in his voice when Edgar hit that 3 run homer vs the Phillies.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 23, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Yeah, that 2010 WS, Buck was a brutal homer for Texas. He didn’t even know all the Giants’ names. “And there’s a fly ball to … the right fielder…. uh.. Torres….” … asshat.

• Flavor said, on October 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

buddy of mine from high school agrees with you

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 23, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Ouch….

• alleykat69 said, on October 23, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Lmao 😂 Yeah Buck can be a real prick.🌵

12. alleykat69 said, on October 23, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Suzuki put a charge into that one!
    The usual Buck rhetoric “This crowd in Houston is stunned” Really are they suppose to be cheering?

13. alleykat69 said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Stros are self destructing…

14. alleykat69 said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:10 pm

A nightmare of an inning for Bregman, no chance at 1st to get the runner, should of ate the ball, instead throws it away for another run..

15. Flavor said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:12 pm

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:20 pm

I remember watching that Series. Atlanta looked unbeatable, just playing flawless ball. Oops….

• unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:23 pm

The Giants did it vs Cincy in the 2012 playoffs. I’d say ours was even tougher all our games were elimination games as we had to win 3 in a row.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:26 pm

And all on the road.

16. unca_chuck said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Well, it could happen I suppose, but the Nats have to be pretty stoked about beating Cole and Verlander back to back. And they earn a trip home.

Just checked with Caesar’s. Niners were 33-1 to get the the Super Bowl this year. Now it is at 9-1.

Shoulda made that $50.00 bet.

• alleykat69 said, on October 23, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Thinking the same thing back in 1981!!
      What a killing that would of been..

17. zumiee said, on October 23, 2019 at 9:39 pm

Kings lose to the Suns by 30 in Luke Walton’s coaching debut. Ouch.