Nearly Over

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 28, 2019

I remember the ’96 World Series very well. Lots of stuff going on in my life that week. And that was the last time a team went down 2-0 only to win the next 4 games and the title. And it seems the same thing is happening now, 23 years later.

It’s funny how a few games can change your entire opinion of a team that has played, what? like 175 or so this year? I’m pointing the finger at Martinez for not pinch hitting for Sanchez in Game 3. Ever since that gaffe Washington has been a balloon slowly deflating.

About the only thing the Nats have going for them is that they get back on the road which seems to be a necessity to win one of these games…..

1. gianthead said, on October 28, 2019 at 7:07 am

I have to hijack this post to comment how good awful the Warriors look…I think they could lose 70 games with no Klay. And mentioned before that despite the sacrilege of thinking they should trade Curry…Draymond probably will be best served being moved. They have to be more cut throat than the Giants in order to resurrect itself or we will be in the Warriors Wilderness for a long while while the rest of the West will be dramatically better..

• willedav said, on October 28, 2019 at 7:33 am

Another terrible start to yesterday’s game, poor defense missed shots bad decisions and turnovers. Chriss had a wide open dunk off nice pass from Russell and instead kicked ball out to corner for 3 that never materialized and they got nothing out of it. Young guys are sloppy with ball and most of them aren’t shooting well, but neither is Curry either. As a team 5 for 33 from 3 while allowing other team too many easy hoops.

In Iguodala’s book he talked about showing up to gym hour or so before every scheduled practice to get loose and work on his shooting, as a routine. Ray Allen did same thing, by himself throughout his career. Kerr certainly has lot of opportunity to motivate everyone to put in more effort–NBA is lot harder than college ball.
      Doubt anyone of value gets moved, though Russell might once Klay is OK.

2. willedav said, on October 28, 2019 at 7:21 am

Nats were raking Stros earlier, now they’ve scored 3 runs in 3 games.
    Saw a headline saying Scherzer will be ready for Game 7. Um, that’s great if y’all see it.

3. Macdog said, on October 28, 2019 at 7:54 am

Follow-up to Flav’s boobs post last night:

4. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2019 at 8:59 am

GH, all they need to do is tank for the next Zion. Wiseman from Memphis or Stewart from Washington spring to mind. We need a big man that can score.

5. blade3colorado said, on October 28, 2019 at 9:52 am

Off topic, but the DC moron would have really been booed if he had thrown out the first pitch. Additionally, the boos were diminished – whereby most fans listening at home, heard a mix of cheers and boos when he was introduced on the big screen stadium TV.

Why? MLB and the network purposefully combined a salute to soldiers – cutting back and forth on the big screen stadium – to diminish the Trump boos. Consequently, many fans stopped booing when they saw the soldiers being recognized on the big screen.

6. snarkk said, on October 28, 2019 at 9:53 am

Cal got hammered in Utah.
    They were 4-0, with a win at UW.
    Then their starting QB got hurt, out for the year. That was it, the offense has cratered.
    On Saturday, they were down to the 3rd string QB, a freshman, due to injury. No bueno…

7. alleykat69 said, on October 28, 2019 at 10:07 am

It’s getting close to cannibalism in my house!
    No power still!! Since 8:30 on Saturday night!
    Homeless in my Home
    Candles& Flashlight 🔦 Batteries almost exhausted 😩
    And yet Downtown, Business as Normal not a care in the world…

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2019 at 10:23 am

That is FucKing bullshit. My power went out for 10 minutes and I wanted to murder someone. Hope you get thru it soon

• blade3colorado said, on October 28, 2019 at 10:38 am

Glad you guys are safe. I found out this morning that my cousin is living at a Point Reyes campground.

8. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2019 at 1:20 pm

We lost power for 8 hours yesterday. Was thinking about getting a generator but haven’t made the jump yet.

Spent the morning between meetings cutting up the branches of one of the big old oak tree that lost 2 giant branches. I hope it survives. It’s got to be 100-150 years old. The wind was at least 60 MPH yesterday morning.

9. alleykat69 said, on October 28, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Yeah I hear one generator from a neighbor down the street,probably went out and got one so he wouldn’t miss the 49er game yesterday.Wonder if I should bite the bullet and get one for the future, cause I have a gut feeling this is going to be happening a lot with these random blackouts!! Not even sure what type to buy (Honda? Briggs&Stratton? etc) and gas,propane wattage capacity? Sure they run around $400 to a grand?

• unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Get a honda. Homelite sucks. At least their chainsaws do. I burned out a Homelite chainsaw in 1 season. Bought an Echo yesterday. Cuts like butter.

10. Stan Shell said, on October 28, 2019 at 3:24 pm

You Bay Area guys are really in it tough for the next few years. There were wild fires when I grew up in the BA and Tuolumne (sic?) County but they were away from the low lands. Where I almost moved to in 1982, Santa Rosa, is on fire somewhere. Now with PG&E blackouts there really is no escape from the effect of the fires. Climate change in action.
    Watching the WS, I reflect how far away our Giant roster is from the Astros and to a lesser degree the Nats.
    I thought the warriors were crazy for dumping Iggy and now I’m convinced. They need a big man to even compete. They might finish behind Portland (ugh) this year.
    But, you guys have “caught lightning in a bottle” this year with the 49rs. They look like the real deal. Of course after rooting for and watching the POS Bucs, anybody looks good.
    Take care you in harm’s way.

OSF

PS
    Chuck, get a Homelite generator if they still make them.

11. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Yeah the biggest diff between growing up here in the 60s and now is the rainy season in the bay area was november to april. October would rain some, and so would May. Meaning it rained pretty consistently for 6 months with a couple light rain months. Now it is December to March. And little rain any other time. You get a big winter, and it just creates more brush.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on October 28, 2019 at 8:42 pm

My first few winters living in SF, ’96, ’97, ’98, all seemed to be variations of either El Nino or La Nina winters. So much rain. Russian River floods, etc. I was amazed at how beautiful the golden hillsides were in the green carpets of winter. Some of my more recent winter visits there, the hillsides were mostly golden/brown. Haven’t heard as much about El Nino and La Nina in recent years…..

12. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Weather doesn’t do it for me anymore…

13. zumiee said, on October 28, 2019 at 9:38 pm

The Giants are also giving Kapler a good look. I’m not keen on him. But….on the other hand, who knows. Maybe he would bring some energy and life to the team. Maybe.