Will This Matter At All? Does Any of This Matter At All?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 10, 2019

Good idea at the end of the last thread from PaulinAsia. Let’s see a spray chart for Oracle, or heck a spray chart for the history of the park, that shows how many hits close to the wall in RF would have been a bomb with the fences moved in 4-6 feet. My guess is, not many.

Anyway, I couldn’t find one and I looked. Will keep looking later today but if someone finds one before me, post it.

1. blade3colorado said, on November 10, 2019 at 8:34 am

Not certain this will work, but this is the best I have found . . .

2. zumiee said, on November 10, 2019 at 8:38 am

Coincidentally I had a dream last night that I hit a walk-off HR to win the World Series. I was batting left-handed instead of right-handed for some reason. I don’t know what ballpark it was or what team I was on. Yet I remember in the dream saying this would be my 4th ring. But for some reason I was saying it to Bryce Harper. He may have been on my team.

3. snarkk said, on November 10, 2019 at 11:42 am

Cal with a nice home win yesterday at home over Wazzoo. 33-20.
    They got their 2nd string QB Modster back, and it made the difference. He passed/ran for 4 TDs.
    Bears (5-4) still have a shot at a decent bowl if they win a couple more, including over SC this Saturday at Strawberry Canyon. Too bad that is a night game. I hate night games there, and refuse to go.
    If Bears had not had to play with their 2nd-3rd string QBs for the last 3 games, they’re season might have gone somewhere. Stanfoo in danger of no bowl this year; I think Cal defense smothers them in the Big Game in two weeks…

4. Flavor said, on November 10, 2019 at 12:28 pm

this hire is getting some positive traction on twitter….

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Well, looks like this guy is about 32 years old and can work a laptop and data sets. Good background on the rest. Now, onto the manager hiring, then onto the roster tear down and build up…

• zumiee said, on November 10, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Sounds good!

• Bozo said, on November 10, 2019 at 3:20 pm

As long as he isn’t the “Don’t Let Me Down”, Scott Harris. Redwood City guy, yeah? GM meetings here we come.

5. blade3colorado said, on November 10, 2019 at 2:12 pm

This means snarkk will have to hit the bricks and find a job.

6. Flavor said, on November 10, 2019 at 3:41 pm

later days, man. Change is needed for everyone here, the coaches, the fans, the players, let’s go get rid of everyone that’s been tied to this team for so long.

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Nobody on Bochy’s top staff survives this change in SF. That was obvious from the time Zman got hired. Training staff probably gone too. Maybe time for Murph to retire, too. Total clean out is in order. Sabes needs to go, too. I mean, not even an office or having drinks on the road in some sort of pseudo scout role. Let ZMan run the whole show…

• unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Murph may be the only one they keep. And rightly so.

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2019 at 6:07 pm

OK, Murph can stay to keep Mays company when he rolls in…

7. alleykat69 said, on November 10, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Farhan is patience and making the right moves! This is a great hire for GM( sorry Snarkk for getting your pink slip) Scott Harris was basically a right hand man for Epstein&Hoyer in Chicago(and yes in this case his right hand wasn’t just jerking off) he handled lots of scouting and is a analytics guru..
    My hope is somehow he’s able to drop a few bad contracts and work on developing more international players on this heavy white honky LU…

8. unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2019 at 6:01 pm

As long as Welcome Back Kotter is off the mgr list, I’ll be fine. Anyone from RC is good in my book.

Harry’s Hof Brau, baby!

• alleykat69 said, on November 10, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Damm right Chuck!
      Harry’s Hofbrau is legendary!!!
      From a double dipped roast beef sandwich 🥪, to a full dinner with all the trimmings,and a full bar with a huge selection of beers 🍻 you cannot top “The HOF” for comfort food!!

• unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Meta ton of old Niners there back in the day. My stepfather worked next door at Towne Ford and I’d go there all the time. From Bob St Clair to Gene Washington, Ted Kwalick, and Jimmy Johnson. Never saw Brodie, but met Jim Plunkett. They,’d ruin the buffet. I had a ball signed by the 1972 team that I didn’t take care of, and I”m real bummed about that. Great memories with that place.

9. snarkk said, on November 10, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Is Wotus hooked up with anybody else yet?
    He’s an ex Pirates guy, maybe he’ll end up with them doing something…

• djloo27 said, on November 10, 2019 at 6:17 pm

His greatest skill was positioning outfielders…

• alleykat69 said, on November 10, 2019 at 7:03 pm

Wotus has a better chance working for a prison baseball team at this point..

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2019 at 7:10 pm

Martie Lurie had to be smoking Humboldt herb to even entertain the idea of Wotus being the manager…

10. djloo27 said, on November 10, 2019 at 6:22 pm

My mind plays tricks on me.
    I had thought for years that the Donnie 2X incident was Bochy’s turning point as Giant manager and took place in 2010. A little research shows that D2X came aboard in 2011, obviously after the 2010 title.
    Torre was the LA manager in 2010.
    Is this news to anyone?

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2019 at 7:08 pm

I remember the incident, but didn’t remember what year.
      Wasn’t particularly important to me re: Bochy, maybe I’m in the minority.
      Donnie seems a bit of a well meaning doofus, anyway…

11. alleykat69 said, on November 10, 2019 at 7:21 pm

Oh I’ll never forget how Boch made Donny look like a complete embicle.Just how he forced him to take out his stud closer and was forced to bring in a pitcher who wasn’t ready to go,and the Giants lit him up to take the lead and eventually win,shows how great Boch was for schooling a overmatched manager,kinda like how he did that to other managers In postseason play..

12. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 10, 2019 at 7:37 pm

About that spray chart for balls hit to center/right-center, I think what might be interesting (hey, it’s the off-season) would be seeing the spray chart for doubles and triples and also fly-outs hit by certain players to that part of the field. Belt and maybe Crawford come to mind, I think Posey has hit some to that part of the field as well. Craig is probably right, 6 feet won’t make that big a difference, but who knows: some doubles/triples could now be HRs and some fly outs could possibly doubles or triples. Spray charts by individual players might not be difficult to find (admittedly I haven’t tried yet)….

13. unca_chuck said, on November 10, 2019 at 7:47 pm

I thought the Donnie double dip was around 2014.

14. zumiee said, on November 10, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Donnie 2X incident was 2010, and was a turning point of sorts. We all saw Bochy differently after that, and maybe his players did, too.
    Donnie was the hitting coach that year. The manager and bench coach had already been thrown out of the game. The game had turned into a bit of a beanball fest, started when Timmy drilled Matt Kemp, when the Giants were down 5 or 6 runs.

15. willedav said, on November 10, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Z should still be in charge of lot of things; Harris was apparently in on Cubs interviews with Espada the Stros bench coach before they hired Ross for mgr. Cubs have been quite successful in last few years though there are definitely some spotty Theo Epstein deals, and they have their share of players that don’t fit and some bad
    contracts.
    More interested in how Harris can help advance drafting and developing good young players.