No Longer Perfect

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 12, 2019

That was a hell of an entertaining game last night. I’m gonna go easy on Jimmy G though it was clear who the better quarterback was. He was throwing the ball to a bunch of back ups who couldn’t hang on to the ball. It’s wild to me the drop off from an elite pass catcher to whoever his back up is. I mean, that’s literally all you do all week, practice catching balls. Then one comes at you and it’s like a foreign object you’ve never seen before.

Probably best to no longer be undefeated, that’s a burden in many ways.

Interesting to read that losing a pick for signing a QO player will likely fall somewhere in the 70’s to 80’s (mlbtraderumors.com). That certainly isn’t the pain it once was. It’s also not much to look forward to if the Giants lose their QO guys……

1. blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2019 at 6:32 am

Hey Flappers, especially Willie, whom I believe is a San Jose city college attendee or alum (not certain?) . . . My cousin Victoria Latz is a member of the San Jose City College Women’s Softball team and apparently, they are in severe financial straits (as are many women’s sports teams). In any event, they are trying to raise money for the program and if you are interested in donating, it would be much appreciated. Any little bit helps, as they are only trying to raise $700. I wont ask again and apologize in advance, as I usually don’t do this type of stuff . . . However, my cousin is a great softball player and a better kid. Thank you.

• chipower9 said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:26 am

I will send them a donation, Blade. And really, no need to apologize (at least not from my perspective). Hope they are successful in keeping their program healthy and vibrant.

• blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:47 am

Chi, thank you very much! I will make sure her father knows about this. Her father has been her coach all the way through high school and will appreciate this very much as well. Again, thank you!

• chipower9 said, on November 12, 2019 at 11:31 am

Done. Hope they reach their goal and that it helps the program.

2. willedav said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:16 am

Niners inability to acquire/develop wideouts maddening. Had very high hopes for Dante Pettis after watching him light up Pac 12, receiving and returns. Maybe just hasn’t adjusted to speed and physicality of NFL level or just doesn’t have the body to hold up to it.

3. willedav said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:37 am

I was DeAnza college/San Jose St. guy but used to live within walking distance of SJCC track which was lot of fun to jog on. Jose St still uses it to train their track team too.
    JC ball is tough gig–kids have to train full time just like 4 yr schools and keep grades up to transfer. Really have to love sport to keep playing, much admiration for those that stick it out. coaches too who have to go out and recruit and find kids to keep being competitive and programs alive while monitoring individuals and their progress without all the assistants big schools have..

• blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:50 am

Spot on Willie. As I alluded to above in my message to Chi, she works her ass off and her father (and mother) have been very supportive. Quite frankly, I thought she would be playing at a 4 year school (still possible), as she is really a talented softball player . . . perhaps her grades weren’t good enough and/or she didn’t want to move away from home yet. I don’t know exactly why.

• willedav said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:18 am

In women’s programs even D1-D2 there isn’t a lot of money for scholarships for programs like soccer and softball. School is expensive; if you can save some $$ going to JC and still work on your sport (and conditioning, a big part of things at that level) more power to you. As for education, like most things you get out of it what you put into it. good luck to cousin!

I coached travel b-ball with guy who was JC assistant and he worked his ass off to be in gym with his players and out recruiting trying to find new ones. Sometimes I wound up coaching the team myself as he was often out of town all the way in SoCal scouting potential players, on his own dime.

4. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:49 am

Jalen Hurd is the guy I really like, but he may not even see the field this year. He’s big, strong, fast, and he catches the fucking ball. What a disappointment. We got our asses kicked on all sides of the ball, but when Sanders went out, the offense wasn’t as good. Clowney killed us all night. Still and all, after all that shit, the heroic plays by the defense, it comes down to a FG. I think we should have burned more time and not let Seattle have a chance to win in the end, but you kick the FG it don’t matter.

Having Kittle and Sanders next time will help.

5. alleykat69 said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:58 am

The rook made a clutch FG to send into OT, but pressure of a game winner was to big a moment for him.Once he blew the one in OT, and were deep in their territory they should of just excepted the tie, and still be 2 up in the loss column.1:50 left and they took of 14 seconds by not running with an elite QB like Wilson unacceptable clock management!!

6. snarkk said, on November 12, 2019 at 9:25 am

I heard some of Niner game on radio. Funny they still can’t fins wide outs that can catch the ball. Meanwhile, radio is saying Kappler is front runner for manager…

7. alleykat69 said, on November 12, 2019 at 9:57 am

To start OT,Seahawks Geno Smith muttered Tails and the referee inexplicably said you called heads, and heads it was! The Niners got shafted and should of had the ball first to start OT..

8. chipower9 said, on November 12, 2019 at 10:41 am

I don’t think you can pin the Niners loss last night on any one facet, or any one player.

Jimmy G needs to make more accurate throws (especially at 10+ yards…he sucked in this aspect last night).

Receivers need to catch the fucking ball. A few throws were high, but if the ball hits you in the hands, you have to make the catch.

There were a few times when the Niners had 3rd and short (3rd and 2, etc.), but could not convert. The one play where they checked the spot was a prime example. So, need for improvement there, too.

Coaches need to do better at play-calling and clock management.

Again, many facets that could have been better last night.

You add Kittle and Gould to last night’s game and the Niners win, IMO.

And the Niners were a missed FG away from winning the game.

Time to move on and improve. That final game of the season in Seattle is shaping-up as a critical game. Hell, rest of the games forward are critical.

In the AFC, I think the Ravens are the real deal, and are definitely the best team.

9. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2019 at 11:13 am

Hard to bet against Baltimore. They look tough in all aspects. I get Shanny wanting to get the win, but we ran no time off the clock late in OT and it bit us in the ass.

Our O line was awful across the board. Seattle put 5 on the line every play and dared us to pass. Our early pass plays were very slow to develop, and once Sanders went down, no one was getting open and Jimmy G was a sitting duck. They should have gone to quick passes at that point. You know, what Seattle did all game.

And CATCH THE DAMN BALL, FFS!!! Bourne killed a late drive with his 2nd drop that would have gotten us a 1st down in the 12. Score the TD there, and you don’t need the OT.

The 49ers are as bad at finding WRs as the Giants are at finding OFers. Fuuuuuck.

10. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2019 at 11:27 am

This is too weird.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 11:52 am

In its own way, kind of the perfect capper to that game.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 11:53 am

But you’d think we’d be past the officials blowing a coin toss by now, but no. Something that should never happen.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 11:57 am

Interesting that Sherman seemed to think he said “heads.” So, maybe the video is not definitive.
        I don’t like the way the official only quickly shows the guys the heads and tails. Super quick, and doesn’t say what the heads and tails are. Sherman is barely shown the coin at all.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 11:58 am

I imagine the face-palming going on in the NFL offices. Send a new memo out yet again. Tell the officials to listen and slow down during the coin toss.

• unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Hard to say really how loud it was on the field, but really, how hard is getting a coin toss right?

11. zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 12:00 pm

All in all, though, both teams got their share of questionable calls in their favor in that game, IMO. I felt the officiating was pretty even.

12. willedav said, on November 12, 2019 at 1:13 pm

seahawks twitter guys were lamenting loss of Tyler Lockett so Niners weren’t only team that lost players. Shutting down run for them was key and it worked because Niners couldn’t make them pay for it. Papa lamented how inefficient they were after first Q, and 3rd was disaster.

Speaking of disasters, my Gad Warriors are awful. Russell hit 4 3s in a row to end first Q they were down only a few to a good Utah team but then that was it. Jazz, much improved with Conley at point over Rubio, just lit them up inside with Gobert and out. by mid 3rd GS was down 28, and that’s with Pascall back coming off bench.

Green got thrown out too, not a good sign. He had legit beef on blocking call but got a T for complaining and then chased ref down and wouldn’t let up and got another one. Um where have we heard this before? He seems out of sorts since Russell controls the ball and Green is left alone outside, where he can’t shoot (0-4 on 3s last night). If he isn’t rebounding and running break (which means all too rare stop and miss) he doesn’t seem into it.

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Plus he’s not used to losing. I don’t know all of his college and high school basketball history, but this could very well be the first time he’s ever been on a team that loses a lot. So, he’s going to have to find a way to deal with it, and look at it as his chance to help teach these younger players how to play.

13. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 5:21 pm

this story about the Astros stealing signs is wild. They communicated the sign by banging a damn trash can or some shit. Why would they do this? They are the best hitting team in the league, just play it straight up and hit the shit out of the ball. What am I missing here?

14. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 5:22 pm

i mean, if anything maybe the Giants should start stealing signs. That’s a team that actually needs it

• djloo27 said, on November 12, 2019 at 5:43 pm

It won them the pennant in ’51…

• Macdog said, on November 12, 2019 at 6:07 pm

The Giants can’t even steal second base, never mind trying to steal signs.

15. alleykat69 said, on November 12, 2019 at 6:21 pm

I really despise the Astros now, the shit going down with their FO, the coverups, their the new Patriots!

16. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2019 at 6:30 pm

The only Patriot I ever liked:

17. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 6:51 pm

18. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:15 pm

19. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:18 pm

• alleykat69 said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Bad hire if it’s Kapler.I don’t see what Z sees in this chump, controversy in LA on how he handed a couple of minor league players sexual assault charges.How he handled the pitching staff in Philadelphia, just about had a mutiny situation!
      He was run out there, now we have to deal with his antics?

20. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:23 pm

interesting nugget from his wiki page:
    In a clubhouse poll, it was once revealed that of the 25 players on the Red Sox, 24 were Republicans and Kapler was the one Democrat.

• sandog said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:26 pm

How do you feel about the hire Flav? Seems to me you ripped him regularly, but now the All-Knowing Z has chosen him.
      Maybe the 2nd time is he charm ala Bellichik and Hinch?

• blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:56 pm

That’s awesome. I like him even more after reading this.

21. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:28 pm

I’m not sweatin’ the hire. Hell, I wrote a letter to the editor at the Chronicle the day after Bochy was hired ripping the hire. Kapler fiddles around too much for my tastes. I wish he’d just let them play. But that isn’t how guys manage anymore. And I’m hoping he learned something from his short time in Philly.
    I support the hire because Young Z knows his shit. I hope he’s the right pick.

22. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:30 pm

lol

23. blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:30 pm

This probably means I lose my job as Strength & Conditioning coach. Huhuhu . . .

24. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:31 pm

seems not all Giants fans are down with this

25. Flavor said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:38 pm

• willedav said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:32 pm

hmmnn must not have got around to the GM etc. that fired him after his team fell apart second half for second consecutive year.

26. blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:41 pm

I’m down with the hire. Just my take, but Kapler got railroaded in Philly. Any defender of Kapler – such as myself – has to admit that there were plenty of moments in which his defensive shifting, his pitching match-ups, and his general desire to out-manuever an opponent seemed to torpedo a win, or at least undermine common sense. Any critic of Kapler has to confess that before the Phillies’ mid-August swoon began, he was an NL Manager of the Year candidate.

So, my point is that every person deserves a 2nd chance and I am going to look at this as a “glass half full” situation, e.g., both Kapler and Mr. Z are good friends, and more important, they have worked closely together. Consequently, I am looking forward to Gabe being a part of the Giants family.

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:46 pm

I seem to remember when a guy named Bochy was hired by Sabes, the Giants fan base wasn’t exactly jumping up and down about it. Bruuuuuce Bochy – WTF? To me, he was just another guy.
      So, I’m with blade and BF. If the Zman is down with Kappler, I’m good.
      We’ll find out soon enough if he sucks. Give him 2 seasons and an improving lineup.
      Since Philly fans ran him out of town, I consider that a plus on his resume…

• blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Ditto.

27. blade3colorado said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:47 pm

I am absolutely, unequivocally, certain he has incrementally improved from his first series as a manager . . .

28. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:49 pm

I guess this is the new coaching staff:

29. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2019 at 7:53 pm

I got fired for this clown? His overmachinations make Donnie 2x look like Connie Mack.

30. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Maybe he’ll drag Crawford’s fat ass to the gym…

31. djloo27 said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Did I really just see a commercial about crooked cocks?

• snarkk said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:06 pm

There are apparently some that aren’t honest…

32. zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:22 pm

It seems, to me, there are less ED commercials during sporting events now. The networks were probably getting flack about all those ads.

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2019 at 8:18 am

I guess they just couldn’t keep it up.

33. zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:26 pm

I don’t have any big opinion about the Kapler hiring. He has a Jim Harbaugh-type weirdness about him which is off-putting; but Harbaugh had a lot of success with the Niners before he finally wore out his time here.

34. zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:28 pm

The over-use of pitchers will be changed for all managers by the rule changes. It will take all the managers some time to get those rule changes figured out.

35. willedav said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Meh. Let’s hope this guy johnrealtime on MLBTR is right:
    “You really over estimate the impact of a manager” in response to a guy who said he ruined the phils.

36. zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Basically any reliever brought in has to face at least 3 batters, unless the inning ends first. Then the pitcher can be changed.
    Unless there’s an injury. Then he can be immediately removed.
    Hello, fake injuries.

37. zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 8:53 pm

The Facebook ladies are pretty funny. Some don’t like the choice of Kapler; and some like the choice because they think he’s hot. I guess he’s hot.

38. snarkk said, on November 12, 2019 at 9:46 pm

I am not a Facebook user. I refuse to give private info for free to Zucker Berg so he can make another dollar. Are these ladies an actual group of Giants fans or do you just randomly find them ?…

• zumiee said, on November 12, 2019 at 10:36 pm

They’re in a Facebook group called Krukow & Kuiper, which I joined also, for reasons I can’t remember now. I think a friend invited me. The group is a mix of men and women, most of whom are about 20 years behind in their understanding of MLB baseball. But they love the Giants. It takes all kinds of fans to make Giants Nation. Some of that group has only been fans since about 2010. These last few years are their first experience of bleakness with the Giants.

39. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2019 at 8:17 am

^ ^ ^ Too funny. ^ ^ ^ Spot on.

The thing about that site (there’s another one called “Kruk & Kuip”, and another one called “Kruk and Kuip” and prolly 10 more variations of that theme) is the biggest concern is how to be a fan and not any actual baseball discourse. Say anything remotely negative and you get labelled a Dodger fan. Bug yuks.

But me being me, I’ll troll the fuck out of it sometimes.