Lacking My Fire

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 21, 2019

While watching the Warriors get the absolute shit kicked out of them last night I tried to figure out why it didn’t bother me in the slightest. All I could come up with is that I’m still so drunk on Bay Area championship teams I don’t seem to have it in me to fret over bad seasons.

And when our teams win they really go on runs, don’t they? This ain’t no “Chicago White Sox 2005” territory. When I was a kid all the Niners did was bang pussy and take down Super Bowls. Then once the Giants finally won they became the team of the decade with 3 in 5. The Warriors did the exact same thing winning 3 in 5 (and going to 5 straight NBA finals).

So when we suck, I just can’t really work myself up into a froth like the old days. In fact, I was thinking “this is cool, we’ll get the number 1 pick in the draft, reload, and be right back on top in a year or two.”

In a way I kinda miss the old days….

1. chipower9 said, on November 21, 2019 at 7:13 am

I am with ya, Flav, it it truly is a one shitty season situation. But it is a real grind when your team sucks for prolonged periods of time (for example, like the ’77-’85 stretch for the Giants). (I got a lot of questions about why I was wearing a Giants hat in 1985.) But as a true fan, you hang tough and hope that it all changes “next year.” But that Giant stretch was also BEFORE the Giants were the team of the decade with their 3 in 5.

Same with the Niners – they went 2-14 in back-to-back seasons in the late 78-79, and then 6-10 before winning their first.

But agree…now that all of the major Bay Area sports teams (sans Sharks) have won multiple championships, it does soften the blow on a year such as this Warrior year. With all that said, who do the Warriors target with their draft next year, especially if they end up with the first pick?

• Flavor said, on November 21, 2019 at 7:18 am

that’s a great question for WD or maybe Wilco or Diggity. Those 3 follow college hoops way more than me. Since the Cardinal went in the tank I haven’t watched much more than March Madness over the last few years.

2. willedav said, on November 21, 2019 at 7:27 am

mm idk it’s not that easy to get back to where you were, in any sport. Giants have lost 272 games last 3 years and even .500 for next year seems doubtful longshot. By end of May this year I couldn’t stand them.

Niners post Harbs had succession of bad QBs, drafts and coaches. Sucked to watch Seattle play in and win SB.

Warriors, even with a good player or two from college, aren’t shooting their way right back to the top either. They have roster full of guys on the wrong continent that don’t belong in NBA.
    As a player I only got into games at garbage time so I can watch some of it. When it’s in the 2nd Q tho, um no.

3. unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2019 at 7:29 am

Nope. Waiting 49 years for the Giants to win was bad torture.

James Wiseman of Memphis all the way, Chuck. The Dubs need a rim protector and interior presence. He’s 7’1″ 240 and has a 7’5″ wing span. Great defender and shot blocker and can score 10′ in.

• gianthead said, on November 21, 2019 at 7:59 am

I mentioned the Memphis kid the other day has got to be the hope for lottery pick…

• willedav said, on November 21, 2019 at 8:11 am

can get better read on skill level once he actually plays again, which won’t be until some time in mid January. so he’s not even one and done, more like half or three quarters. Asking him to go against established NBA bigs with few years of experience is a lot.

• gianthead said, on November 21, 2019 at 10:13 am

They will have time to let him develop for the post-Curry era beginning 2022-23 season. Gives him two years to develop and hopefully ready to be a starter and build next championship with…I still think Draymond will be a wanted trade piece this year.

4. gianthead said, on November 21, 2019 at 7:55 am

We are still waiting for that Sharks run!!!

• gianthead said, on November 21, 2019 at 7:56 am

The more the Dubs lose the better…

• sandog said, on November 21, 2019 at 11:44 am

I feel the same way G…

• unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Hey now. Come on! Jeff Mullins, Jim Barnett, Cazzie Russell, George and Charles Johnson, Nate the Great. World B Free, Bernard King. Great team with a great history. What’s not to love?

• chipower9 said, on November 21, 2019 at 9:30 am

No shit. So many “close but no cigar” moments with Los Tiburones…

5. unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2019 at 8:05 am

Turned the Warrior game on the radio yesterday and they were down 30 midway through the 2nd quarter.

Ouch. Even healthy, the team was seriously weakened and a low playoff contender. Now, we got nothing. Russell is fine and a decent complement to Steph, and Cauley-Stein is solid with Green and Looney, but that’s it.

6. willedav said, on November 21, 2019 at 8:15 am

Loo said that Giants being quiet so far made him wonder if something big is in works.
    Um check out this from Z talking to tim kawakami as reported on nbcsports site:
    “Sometimes I think the change does not mean a change in personnel…As I view it being a change agent doesn’t mean just turning over the roster.”
    Yikes that sounds like same old same old with just reduced roles/low level add ons.

• willedav said, on November 21, 2019 at 8:24 am

hopefully he’s just sandbagging anyone who might have interest in Belt Craw yada yada. Btw in the F/G column on FAs in NL West, they said, “…top prospect Joey Bart isn’t likely to take over as the full time C until 2021.” So back up to Posey, who Z said earlier is still every day C, will have lot of run. Sure hope they can keep Vogt but losing him Smith and Bum hurts.

7. willedav said, on November 21, 2019 at 8:33 am

Giants are today’s MLBTR off season outlook. good read. most of comments say take under on .500

8. alleykat69 said, on November 21, 2019 at 9:30 am

At his age Vogt wants to go to a contender, so that’s not happening here.Maybe he goes to an AL team to Catch&DH , less wear on his body.

• chipower9 said, on November 21, 2019 at 9:32 am

I would not be surprised to see Vogt across the bay, rocking the A’s green and gold next year.

9. chipower9 said, on November 21, 2019 at 9:34 am

Here is the MLBTR “season outlook” piece that WillieD mentioned above…

10. zumiee said, on November 21, 2019 at 11:51 am

One of the first things Zaidi had to tell the new GM was: “The ownership group here does not eat big contracts.”

• alleykat69 said, on November 21, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Yeah and that’s the problem! Those cheap ass billionaires just want to see butts filled and money flowing out of fan’s pockets at the park!
      We they could be more like Boston and get rid of the deadweight players, but that will never happen..

11. unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2019 at 2:45 pm

I still think Crawfish will be cut like a, well, something that gets cut. They can’t stroll into the regular season with all those shit deals hanging around their necks.

• djloo27 said, on November 21, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Can’t see that happening, Chuck.
      WBK should whip his fat ass into shape…

• alleykat69 said, on November 21, 2019 at 4:05 pm

Yeah it is kinda nice to have a manager that can kick everyone’s ass!
        If Bum comes back all bets are off if those 2 went at it though!

• alleykat69 said, on November 21, 2019 at 6:19 pm

Yeah I can’t see it either Chuck.The Facebook Wives would have a hissy fit, Crawdaddy is still a Stud Muffin in their eyes 👀 and the Giants aren’t going to lose that sex appeal he provides for them along with their money flow they provide..