Wish List vs Get List

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 26, 2019

If you read this and even think about it for a second you realize how stupid this sounds. This time of year it’s basically just a bunch of monkeys banging the keyboard randomly stringing words together.

Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 5.40.37 AM

I might go back and look at some old Thanksgiving Day threads. Twin used to really shine with the recipes back then.

1. chipower9 said, on November 26, 2019 at 6:43 am

Same shit. Different year. Dodgers have money, blah blah, fucking blah. We have no control over what the bum’s do, so fuck them. And 1988 is still the last time they won a world series title.

I just want to see Zaidi make some good moves that truly begin to set this team up for a good long run. .500 this coming year would be a good start, with an eye to being competitive in 2021.

That’s some funny shit about Black Friday, Flav. I am with ya on that one. I fucking hate the holidaze, mainly because of all the commercialism and bullshit, plus I am not a religious person, so xmas is not an important day for me.

Would love to see some turkey day tidbits from the past. I do remember those days well. Twin was always busting out these awesome sounding recipes, which I admired, as I love to cook and do most of the cooking at our casa.

I have said it before and will say it again, while he could be a cantankerous old coot, I really enjoyed what he brought to the thread. RIP, Twin.

2. willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 7:52 am

Union Sq., hmmnn. Hayes Valley, nearby and safer, supposed to be trendier hot spot.
    Yes recipe stuff was fun to read, Twin and others. I’m fortunate enough not to have to cook at all and get to harass couple Raider fans that are sons of gal I visit.

Dodgers under Friedman (who got extended the other day) typically don’t do expensive long term deals so dropping lot of coin on above mentioned seems unlikely. Last year they did throw lot of $$$/yrs. at AJ Pollock who got injured again and missed lot of time. Wonder what happens with Ryu?

For me it’s not about taking Division away from Dodgers. It’s about being part of WC hunt by middle of 2021. Nats last year won 13 fewer games than LA, knocked them out in first round and took the whole thing.

• chipower9 said, on November 26, 2019 at 7:58 am

Agree WillieD, in that for me it is absolutely NOT about taking the division crown from the bums (what, seven years in a row now), but in being in the hunt to WIN a world series.

• Macdog said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:02 am

Caught end of last thread, damn, you really did put the hex on the Dubs, haha, These late-game leads in the NBA are never safe. Nets had 9-point lead over Cavs with 2:10 left, Cavs scored 9 straight — and missed a free throw to take the lead — before Dinwiddie hit a J with 1.9 left to win it.

3. willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:01 am

Ha sportsdude is right I did hex Warriors (with 8 players and no Green again) who led by as many as 15 late in 3rd Q before falling apart and losing to OKC and old nemesis Chris Paul, Schroeder, Gilgeous Alexander and Steven Adams.
    Never ceases to amaze me how some of best players on the planet can look so bad and make silly mistakes at this level. Up 3 with the ball, they threw away sideline out of bounds that turned into breakaway lay up and then never scored again.

4. willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:16 am

Mac funny Nets are winning games without Kyrie plus Levert is hurt too right? Love Dinwiddie (Colorado kid from Pac 12) and Allen who seems much improved. Nets are cool team! Wait til you see them with Durant. Lot of people including local writers dissed the guy on his way out of town but man can he play.

• Macdog said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:50 am

Yeah, it’s gonna be a long wait for Durant.

5. djloo27 said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:28 am

Christmas has lost it’s meaning to most people. It’s kinda sad.
    Used to be able to feel it in the air. Not anymore – at least not here.
    Thanksgiving was fun when I had grandparents and wacky uncles.
    Now it just outright sucks in every way.
    And who the fuck wants to sit through another Detroit Lions game?
    That tradition should’ve been scrapped years ago…

• unca_chuck said, on November 26, 2019 at 9:10 am

Hah! I didn’t get a tree last year until the 23rd. The kids are grown and (mostly) gone and don’t really give a shit either. Lights? Fuck it.

To add insult to ennui, the company I now work for (which was bought out by our much bigger competitor), took away our Christmas week off, our Christmas party, AND our Christmas bonus, along with a bunch of other perks.

To seal the deal, during the transfer, the new company forgot to take out their piece of the monthly insurance contributions for 8 months, so my Christmas bonus was a $750.00 deduction on my December 15th paycheck.

Merry Christmas my ass.

• alleykat69 said, on November 26, 2019 at 10:03 am

Damm Chuck you need to hire Cousin Eddie with his toxic waste motorhome and have him kidnap your boss, put a red bow on him, drive him to your house so you can say “You sure rear ended everyone this year with your corny ass 1 year membership to the jelly donut club”

• Macdog said, on November 26, 2019 at 9:20 am

This must have been one of the better ones:

6. alleykat69 said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:51 am

I’m with ya Loo,Thanksgiving was alright when I did see the wacky aunt&uncle dressed in their John Daly loud sweaters and pants.Christmas only when I was a kid and some years when my kids were little, now it’s just a pain in the ass.If I have to get something it’s thru Amazon not 30 deep with 1check stand open yelling 3’s a crowd and no one comes..

7. Flavor said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:55 am

Thanksgiving is infinitely more interesting if you have 20 draftkings teams riding on it. I highly rec’d it if you don’t play.

8. Flavor said, on November 26, 2019 at 9:09 am

my current thoughts on the tradition known as the presidential turkey pardon

• unca_chuck said, on November 26, 2019 at 9:12 am

Trum is exactly the clown to do that. Except he’d pick up an AR-15 wrapped in a flag and blow the fucker away and call himself a hero. I wish that eagle on his desk would have ripped one of his eyeballs out and shit on his head.

9. chipower9 said, on November 26, 2019 at 10:20 am

Yeah, the ship has sailed on the holidaze. My kids are grown, and both are married, and have spouses families in the area, so it is a real crap-shoot as to spending time with my kids/grandkids. But, all good.

Last few years Gail and I have gone to a friend’s house. Low key, great company, good food, lots to drink, etc. I just use this time of year to reflect on all the things for which I am grateful (hell, I try to do that twice a day – once when I am ready to fall asleep, and again in the morning).

Bah Humbug!

10. unca_chuck said, on November 26, 2019 at 11:33 am

Thought this was pretty funny . . .

aaron

• Flavor said, on November 26, 2019 at 11:41 am

i find those state farm commercials with him to be quite humorous.

• chipower9 said, on November 26, 2019 at 11:50 am

Saw this…but in reality, any QB in the league can have any insurance he wants, and it won’t protect him from the wrath of the Niners D.

11. chipower9 said, on November 26, 2019 at 11:56 am

After the Raven’s complete shellacking of the lambs last night, I cannot wait to see the Niners and Ravens T it up. This is the two best teams in the NFL (IMO) going at it. This will easily be the game of the year, to date.

I know the Ravens have two losses, and could not recall to whom they had lost. After checking, they lost back-to-back in weeks three and four to the Chiefs and Browns (Browns? WTF).

Line opened at Ravens minus 4.5. I thought that was a good line for the Niners. Line has now moved to Ravens minus 6. I am temped to throw a hundy on the Niners at plus 6.

12. zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 11:59 am

It’s appalling what Christmas has turned into in American culture. A grotesque display of consumerism that has literally nothing to do with the birth of Jesus over 2,000 years ago.
    I’m for dumping just about all of the Christmas holiday baloney. If people want to celebrate the birth of Jesus, they should go out and give a homeless family some food, and some warm coats. That would be celebrating Christmas.

• zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:01 pm

When I was a kid, for Christmas I usually got something like a couple of reasonably priced toys, a book, and some socks, and my parents called it good. And I was very pleased. One time I got a bicycle and that was off-the-charts great. Now kids want electronics that cost hundreds of dollars, and I feel sorry for parents out there having to bust their budget to meet expectations. It’s a sad situation. They’ve been sold a cultural expectation that is a bunch of crap.

• zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:09 pm

And I’ve never understood the fascination with Santa Claus. I don’t think I ever believed in Santa as a kid. My parents thought that was too hokey to ever try with their kids. So…..it’s a weird thing for kids. Their parents tell them that Santa exists, and then at some point later on, I guess the parents have to admit to the kids that they’ve been lying the whole time. Gee, that’s something.

13. gianthead said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Well if they do the Black Friday Union Square thing bright and early they will have some lovely wafting morning aromas in the City…

14. blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:22 pm

All religion is bullshit created by despots to control people. Conversely, spirituality (or truth) is above any god, yours or mine.

Oh, by the by, I am not denigrating Christ . . . Frankly, he would be appalled by what’s going down today, especially where his father or his name is cited as justification for the BS going on today.

P.S. One of the funniest paragraphs you’ve written Craig in the 10 plus years I have been following your threads.

“Katie has a friend in town for Thanksgiving this year from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We’re mostly staying at home but her friend is interested in a *real Black Friday Union Square style*. LOL, have at it kids, you can take the train up to that. Big Flavor doesn’t do Union Square on any colored Friday….”

15. willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:27 pm

wow MLB investigating Dyson for domestic violence as per complaint by former gf. Guy’s walking disaster ever since trade to Twins.

16. unca_chuck said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:33 pm

When we were in Roseville, for 4 years we went to (through a church [insert spaghetti monster joke] program) to disadvantaged families of Sacto and gave gifts/money decorations to them, and hung out and talked. The prayer shit always got a little uncomfortable, but the kids we did this for were genuinely thrilled and the parents were relieved. We did soup kitchen stuff for T-Giving back in the day, food drives for Boy Scouts, etc. al that altruistic shit.

Now that the kids are grown, not so much anymore.

When the girls got to be teenagers, we had some epic Christmas mornings as the eye rolls and murmured bullshit around gifts we picked went unappreciated. Which prompted a “Merry fucking Christmas, you ungrateful brats!!!” from Kathy. Still makes me laugh like hell.

17. willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:36 pm

another guy who has suffered since Giants traded him–M Duffy cleared waivers since Rays released him. He hit 12 HRs (with .752 OPS 77rbis) 2015 for SF, sitting on 22 for career. multiple leg injuries, surgeries yada yada.

• willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:54 pm

Achilles and foot injuries doom a lot of players. Tiny Archibald wasn’t same after he came back from his ,nor Walton from his foot problems (and later in life his back) either.

• willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 12:57 pm

over weekend b-ball tourney talked to gal who has been referee for many years, at least 15. She had knee scoped last off season but looks fine and well recovered. told me another ref I hadn’t seen for a year needed knee replacement. He had gained some weight at he got older (retirement from local transit) but all the years going up and down hardwood take its toll on refs too.

• djloo27 said, on November 26, 2019 at 2:35 pm

I’m surprised the word “gal” hasn’t been banned yet.
        It’s very 1950’s…

• zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 3:22 pm

I think it’s seen as the equivalent of “guys,” as in “guys and gals.” Although….most people just use “guys” nowadays for a group of women. As in speaking to a group of women, and saying: “What did you guys do for the holidays?” or whatever.

• zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 3:25 pm

I wouldn’t use “gals” just because it sounds kind of dorky and out-of-date to me. It seems a little dooshy to me, also, for a guy to say “gals,” but I know there are guys that still use it, and women don’t seem to mind, as far as I can tell.

• zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 3:30 pm

And there’s a difference between writing it and saying it. Willie wrote that word, and it sounds fine to me when written, but would sound different to me, if said. I’ve probably written the word at times, myself. It just sounds OK to me when written, for some reason.

18. zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 3:33 pm

The other day I addressed a group of women as “ladies,” and it sounded really wrong to me, coming from me, for some reason. I said “How are you ladies doing today?” or something like that, and I immediately kind of inwardly cringed, because I never say it that way. I was just wondering: “Where did that come from?” I would usually just say “How are you all doing?”

19. Macdog said, on November 26, 2019 at 3:34 pm

• Flavor said, on November 26, 2019 at 4:14 pm

eh, whatever. We probably got the best of his little late career bump so I’m not going to sweat not getting him back

• blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Mac, I wonder if the “vesting option” was the deal breaker regarding him signing with the Giants or A’s for that matter? Regardless, I am happy for him . . . He sure helped the Giants last season and was hoping he would resign with them, albeit, I doubted that the Giants would commit for more than 1 season.

• Macdog said, on November 26, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Yeah, he was a good dude, one of the few bright spots from last year. From D-Backs reporter Zach Buchanan tweets:

Stephen Vogt will receive a one-year deal worth $3 million, and a vesting option that could make the total deal worth $7 million, per a source. The option vests at a certain threshold, which I’ve been told is pretty low, and increases in value as other thresholds are hit.

20. alleykat69 said, on November 26, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Yeah but I figured Vogt would of wanted to go to a contender not a pretender..

21. zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Mavs getting a dose of reality tonight from the Clippers.

22. alleykat69 said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Too good a deal for a 35 year old catcher to pass on.
    Good for Vogt, if he can bank potentially 7 mil in 2 years, plus the cost of living in Arizona is an extra bonus for the family..

23. zumiee said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:16 pm

The Basketball Hall of Fame and the Football Hall of Fame put 8 or 9 people in every year and move on, and no one cares.
    The Baseball Hall of Fame acts like it’s splitting the atom or conducting rocket science or something.

• djloo27 said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:59 pm

You’re right Zum.
      Baseball thinks they have the only real HOF…

24. willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:19 pm

Great for Vogt. So how do Giants replace what he brought–.800 OPS bat with .490 slugging off bench? He hit 10 HRs in 255 ABs and had .785 OPS at home as a LH.

• blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Buster? Umm . . . no.

• djloo27 said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:33 pm

If Bart has a decent spring, keep him with the big club.
      No need to baby him…

• blade3colorado said, on November 26, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Zaidi would be down with that. Z could give 2 shits about time in grade or service considerations. So yeah Loo, I think Zaidi would do that easily for him or anyone else that showed they belonged.

• djloo27 said, on November 26, 2019 at 9:03 pm

I hope so, Blade. Maybe they won’t roll out the usual cliches about rushing kids to the majors.
        I guess we’ll see. The fan base needs something to get excited about.
        I sure do…

• willedav said, on November 26, 2019 at 9:05 pm

mm that would surprise me. He got hit in hand for San Jose iirc and didn’t even get full season in high A ball before promotion to AA.

25. alleykat69 said, on November 26, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Fans will be excited when the next Willie Mays roams CF in my boy Jaylin Davis!

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2019 at 3:48 am

I want to see Heliot out there, too.
      Anyone not named Tyler or Austin.
      Still clinging to the Puig dream while I can…

26. unca_chuck said, on November 27, 2019 at 7:33 am

Z has said Helios and Bart are in play this season. I’d think mid-season call-ups.