Looking To The Past To Fix The Present?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 27, 2019

Make it so, Young Z…..

My daughter turns 17 today. That’s a fairly incredible and daunting number for me to process. In my mind she’s still 7 years old running through the rain in her bare feet. What a great night this was….

1. chipower9 said, on November 27, 2019 at 6:54 am

Flav – I remember that post like it was yesterday. What a great time. The whole Flap Universe was abuzz with the glory of our Band of Misfits. Wow…17. I remember tripping on those years when my daughter was there (and now my “baby girl” is 33 – how the fuck did that happen!?). Continue to enjoy it all, Craig. It is all amazing regardless of the age.

Shinjo? LMAO. The dude played three seasons in MLB (split between us and the Mets). He sucked-ass then, so what makes you think things have changed, for the better, in almost 20 years!? That is truly some funny shit. Let me check the calendar…is it April 1st???

2. chipower9 said, on November 27, 2019 at 6:58 am

And in the spirit of Twin, I am posting a recipe, because as you mentioned the other day, that was one of the highlights of the holidays when Michael was with us.

I have not tried this recipe, but it looks kick-ass. I will be making it to take to my friend Kelly’s house tomorrow. Will report back (by the way, until a couple of years ago, I fucking HATED brussel sprouts, but I kept being told “it is all in the way you cook them”). You know what…all those fuckers were right. I stand corrected. LMAO.

Anyway, to all of you out there in Flap U, wishing you and yours a safe and happy Thanksgiving. I hope your day is truly blessed.

• Flavor said, on November 27, 2019 at 7:16 am

Awesome that you are making this, can’t wait to hear how they turn out.

• chipower9 said, on November 27, 2019 at 7:58 am

You bet. So, you’re all set for your Black Friday trip to Union Square with Katie and her friend? 😉

3. willedav said, on November 27, 2019 at 7:50 am

Ha good one Flav. Great to re read some of these. Twin DelMar Wisco PK good stuff. “He’s also full of shit” yes F Keith Law and everyone who doubted Giants all through 2010 playoffs.

And btw, watched last 15 minutes of Stanford vs. Butler last night, tremendous back and forth game Cards lost by a point in last seconds because Butler senior guard who was well defended by Daejon Davis made couple fantastic shots. Stanford looks completely different from anything I’ve seen in long time–athletic (um no more white boy guards getting their butts kicked) with 3 point range even on the road, fluid offense and very young team with 0 seniors.

Butler is no slouch and game was being played in KC so not exactly neutral site. their new point guard Tyrell Terry looks really good and other freshman Spencer Jones hit clutch late 3 in last minute. Only weakness might be inside at C spot where they lost 2 guys from last year. But definitely watchable team.
    Meanwhile Cal almost lost, at home, to UC Davis.

4. Macdog said, on November 27, 2019 at 8:28 am

There is nothing else that happens in college basketball this season that can top this:

• chipower9 said, on November 27, 2019 at 9:23 am

I don’t follow college hoops that closely during the year, but isn’t Stephen Austin usually one of the “Cinderella” teams in March Madness?

And I love seeing the “big dogs” going down to the upstarts…

• Macdog said, on November 27, 2019 at 9:40 am

I don’t know about their tourney history, but they were a 27.5 underdog and had lost their previous game to Rutgers.

• Macdog said, on November 27, 2019 at 10:56 am

Hey Chi, good memory. In the 2016 tourney, No. 14 SFA knocked off #3 West Virginia in the first round, then lost by 1 to #6 Notre Dame.

5. gianthead said, on November 27, 2019 at 9:27 am

My 14 years old just had bday last Fri and was only 5 on the first Giant championship…I used to call Shinjo ShinJunk because he was awful…

6. alleykat69 said, on November 27, 2019 at 9:49 am

With the old regime,Sabean&Booby Evans,Shinjo would probably get an invitation to ST since they once even had an OF of all 40 year olds..

7. gianthead said, on November 27, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Is Greg Bird Farhan type of signing???

• blade3colorado said, on November 27, 2019 at 12:50 pm

I think so, but only because he is a first baseman. Any other position, then that player would have to be more versatifle. Bird, has a number of things going for him – high on base percentage, great OPS, and a dead pull hitter (consequently his balls will not die a la Belt in Triples Alley). Equally important, he gets outstanding elevation on his batted balls.

Only negative is that he is injury prone.

8. alleykat69 said, on November 27, 2019 at 1:43 pm

For versatility which Farhan is always looking for I hope he thinks about Brock Holt.He’s said he was looking for a LH infielder to spell both Dubon&Longo maybe Crawford too.This guy plays anywhere in the infield& outfield (a guy like Zobrist flexibility) but yes like Greg Bird injuries have derailed him..

9. alleykat69 said, on November 27, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Wow for a guy we couldn’t get rid of fast enough, Drew Pomegranate just got a 4/34 mil deal with San Diego! Once the Giants who first turned him into a reliever, along with the Brewers,he did pitch lights out.Good for him to cash out as a reliever then obviously a bust as a starter..

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Padres will regret that one…

• alleykat69 said, on November 27, 2019 at 2:47 pm

That’s what I’m thinking, he’s still a headcase and once he loses the strike zone again it could get ugly for him..

10. alleykat69 said, on November 27, 2019 at 2:45 pm

A little old story from years back…
    The year 1976, Reggie Jackson is a F/A.
    It’s Thanksgiving day he’s in a hotel in Chicago, and George Steinbrenner is hot to trot to beat other clubs for Reggie’s services.He flys from NY to Chicago, and George phones Reggie’s room( remember no cell phones in those days) hello Reggie I really want you to be a Yankee.Ill give you 3 mil a season, Reggie is hesitant, so good old George comes back and says,alright I’ll throw in a 60,000 Rolls Royce Burgundy Cornisch with tan leather! Reggie jumps all over it.Thats how you get a deal done back then lol 😂

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2019 at 3:53 pm

I love Mays as much as anyone, but as I’ve said (we do repeat ourselves here occasionally) naming the WS MVP Award after him is an absolute travesty. Reggie deserved that honor. MLB just doesn’t have the stomach to do something like that…

11. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 27, 2019 at 5:11 pm

Early Thursday morning in Hanoi, Thanksgiving day here (though of course not really T-giving here, as it’s a uniquely American holiday), so I just want to wish all Flappers in Flap Universe a happy one. This was always one of my favorite holidays, mainly because usually a 4-day weekend, my favorite kind of weekend. One of my favs was ’98, headed out of SF in my Jeep for some desert/mountain truckin’ in Death Valley. New girlfriend at the time was having a big dinner, wanted to introduce her new beau to her friends. “You’re choosing your Jeep and Death Valley over dinner with me??” Yes I am. Yes I did. Managed to find a turkey dinner in a divey restaurant in Nevada just over the border from Death Valley. Tonight will head to the Moose & Roo (good pub run by a Canadian and an Aussie) to dine with colleagues, they put on a pretty darned good traditional turkey dinner, thankful for that. Thankful for a lot. Including the Flap. Have a great one, ya’ll….

• blade3colorado said, on November 27, 2019 at 5:50 pm

Great post! Happy Thanksgiving Paul 🙂

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Same to you PIABB.
      You’re a very pleasant man…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 27, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Thanks guys (still no gals on the Flap, why is that? We should invite Lisa, Michael’s daughter. Although I think they had a falling out…)… A very pleasant man, I’ll take that…

• djloo27 said, on November 27, 2019 at 7:02 pm

Might as well use “gals” while you can, Paul.

12. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 27, 2019 at 6:54 pm

If Flappers are bored these early days of the off-season, maybe we should have another little contest. Like, what do you think will be Z’s first moves? A trade? A signing? A dumping? And who would it involve? A dumping… sheesh, that’s always my first objective of any day….

13. snarkk said, on November 27, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, early.
    If I can, I’ll drop a note tomorrow on the bill of fare here at The snarkk Arms…

14. willedav said, on November 28, 2019 at 7:41 am

no Warriors hex last night, tho Zach Lavine dominated. Left after one year at UCLA really surprised how good he is now. ESPN2 this AM showed Klay Thompson who had head set on and was doing game with 2 TV guys. He’s funny and stays very positive but when all 3 of them are yakking most of it gets lost.
    Cracked on his Dad too—“he reminds me he shot 51% from floor but go outside 12 ft. Look at my shot chart!”

Surprised to see Seton Hall dropped that game to Oregon too. when I was watching earlier they were up double figures and Myles Powell was dominating.

Paul that is great idea for a contest, Z’s first big move. Sure hope there is one worth talking about.

15. unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2019 at 8:29 am

Still tripping that Katie is now 17, and you have been doing this for it for 10 years. Time flies when you ain’t looking,

16. zumiee said, on November 28, 2019 at 9:31 am

“Some angry women are going to have it officially removed from the language any day now…”

Is it the women who are angry? 🙂

17. zumiee said, on November 28, 2019 at 9:36 am

Speaking of women, next year is the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment, guaranteeing women the right to vote.
    Men lost their absolute control of the political process.