Free Agency Insanity and A Suspended Announcer

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 5, 2019

With the average Wheeler taking down 118 million from the clueless Phillies it now appears that Bumgarner will get at least that. If I was forced to hand out that deal I’d obviously choose to give it to Bum. But neither is a good investment at that cost. This is more of an indictment on the way free agency works and how baseball players get paid. This is just *the game* and GM’s and owners go along with it.

I’m happy that Z is sitting these big signings out. All they do is kick the can down the road, a can we ultimately will need to…..recycle? I dunno, there is probably a better metaphor in there somewhere.

Tim Ryan is suspended for one game. I understand why he’s been suspended, in today’s world you can’t say anything publicly that connects race to performance. But let’s be honest here, what he said is not inaccurate. And when you think about it long enough, it really isn’t offensive, either. I am open to listening to different perspectives on this issue.

1. blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:32 am

All Flappers should read Mrsportdude’s 10:09pm from yesterday’s thread EVERY MORNING. Wait! Read it at night before bed time too.

We could sign 2 Bum type pitchers this season and IT WOULDN’T HELP us get in the playoffs. Add 2 ready for prime time hitters as well and we still might not make the playoffs. That’s our reality folks.

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:08 am

I dont disagree but it is not about being competitive next year…it is about setting things up for beyond. If you can get one year of Puig for $10 mill and see what he does with that one year and how hard does he want to work for the longer deal, then to me it is worth it. Ozuna is going to be in that four year range and if we sign Bum, dont think Farhan will, 2 arms in my mind is one starter and bullpen piece.

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:43 am

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:41 am

Puig is a one year deal. Not the issue. Z has said he wants to sign a power-hitting corner OFer. He did not mention length of contract in that regards, but overall has said he does not support the big money/long-term deals as a way to make this team competitive, again. I don’t see how he can sign a solid PH OFer without it being a multi-year deal. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

2. chipower9 said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:55 am

Agree with you on both counts, Flav. I mentioned last night that Z said that they are trying to stay away from big $$ long contracts, as it just extends them being in the current hole they are in (tied to big $$ with Craw, Posey, Belt, etc.).

Also agree on the comment on Ryan. I find NOTHING offensive about that. It is purely a factual statement, IMO, and is in no way, shape, or form, racist. I get the increased sensitivities around race, gender, etc., in today’s society, but we have gone too far, IMO.

Steve – great post by mrsportsdude from last night (that one went up after I called it a night). Great post, and exactly right. I love Bum and everything he did for this franchise, but giving him a four or five year gig at ~$20 mil per is not the way to right this ship, again, IMO.

3. willedav said, on December 5, 2019 at 7:42 am

mm sure sportsdude is right but imo that’s not a reason to avoid trying to help team get better. I’m not in on completely avoiding signing anyone of value beyond dumpster dives or trading for someone that might help the team get closer to contending. Like I asked yesterday, if you are a few bats away, why not bring one or two in right now to narrow the gap? Lot of pitching is moving, and that’s a big area of need for SF.

Like Loo said, dumping off an underperforming player would be great. But you still have to replace them; just cleaning house and shuffling new guys in/out I don’t buy. And $$$ shouldn’t be the only issue–Giants have plenty of it and are way below lux tax.

Z and GM have already waived goodbye to Bum Pillar Smith and Vogt, 4 of better players off a team that won 77 games. If the Giants are going to turn into the terminally rebuilding Padres, I’m out.

4. blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 7:56 am

“Like I asked yesterday, if you are a few bats away, why not bring one or two in right now to narrow the gap? Lot of pitching is moving, and that’s a big area of need for SF.”

Willie, basically what you are saying is reload, right? Go check out the ages of all the 2020 free agents and tell me with a straight face that these guys will help us in the future. Here, I will make it easy for you . . .

None of the top 20 free agents are under 28. The top hitter is 29 (Rendon). The top 2 pitchers are 29 and 31. Of the remaining hitters available, you have to go down to Donaldson at number 7 and that dude is 34 years old.

ALL OF THESE GUYS WANT MULTI-YEAR CONTRACTS. Please tell me how many of these guys to sign this season and how this will make us better not only in 2020, but 2021, 2022, 2023, etc.???? Also, tell me which guys you would sign – on this top 20 list or outside this list, which will potentially deliver a Wild Card, as well as make us better in the future outlying seasons? I am listening . . . .

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:19 am

Ozuna and 1 year Puig among the hitters and I am an all in on Cole dude and been arguing to see if he will take a lower annual deal up front and big signing bonus in exchange for an agreement that helps keep Bum at 4 year $80 mill range…4 players for about $70-$75 mill for 2020 and keeps below luxury cap and as the Cole deal plays out (8 years $240 mill with lower average yearly value up front first 4 years and higher average salary averageing $35 mill last 4 years) long term he will have the only existing long term contract as Posey-Long slowly come off the books.

• blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:29 am

So Ozuna, Puig, Cole and MadBum gets us a playoff spot, despite zero or near zero production at shortstop, 3rd base, 1st base, and catcher?

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:16 am

No dont think we will be much better than .500 in 2020 and think the moves would not be intended to win next year but to start righting rhe ship and see if the Jaylin Davis, Dubon, Yaz or even Duggar or legor starters. I think we can mever discount ownership still wants to keep people in the seats and think these moves sells much needed tickets as well.

Then 2021 will be last years of Craw-Belt-Cueto saving $53 mill for 2022 (and hopefully Bart is the everyday catcher by 2021 with Ramos and this young shortstop hopefully prime for 2022), which I think is the target of being championship competitive. Supplement a third starter in 2022 to go along with Cole and Bum and then spend dollars on third and first with then Posey and Longoria and their $35 mill or so coming off after 2022.

5. gianthead said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:04 am

I am in agreement with you on this radio announcer issue…mountians out of mole hills…but anyone with a media related or public job has to be a lot more cognizant of the times..

6. willedav said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:25 am

Z unloading Melancon last year saves Giants $15 mil this year.
    Not keeping Bum smith Vogt and Pillar saves them another $20 mil plus.
    Giants were nowhere near lux tax last year. so they have additional $35 mil to play with.
    If Z and GM want ownership to keep all that and wait for future (whenever that is) fine.
    But I don’t see how that plan helps improve the team, this year or next.

7. willedav said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:41 am

Blade the list you linked to is obviously dated as few of those on it have already signed. Reloading can be done a piece at a time. Z has said he needs a power hitting corner OF with Yaz/Davis taking over CF. so, with the savings off last year (8:25 post) and this year, go get one. Nothing wrong with Ozuna in middle of LU for few years. I would have kept Pillar and if Ramos looks good (no guarantee) in AAA, then trade Pillar at deadline.

If you dump Belt, you still need a 1b ala Kendrick (not a big $$ guy). Giants could also use a 2b if they plan to move Dubon around. Pavs said he may be in play for the OF too. I like him but he is not going to move needle on power, nor is more playing time for Solano. There are 2b available til Luciano is ready.

smrdz will be gone soon and durability Cueto is still ?. Moronta is hurt, so no idea who closes. If Giants go Pads route and rely solely on kids, some will struggle like theirs did and you have to factor limiting workload.
    Much more complicated and not easily solved without bringing in another vet.

• blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:47 am

Read my post again . . . I recognized that and this is why I dropped down to Donaldson at #7. I know exactly who is available and not available on this list. Again, none of these dudes on the overall list are younger than 28.and your top guy is 29 (no way, no how is he coming to Oracle Park) and the next guy is 34 and is injury prone as well.

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:25 am

Blade, Ozuna is a young 29 has not played that many big keague years and I believe lot of the Latino hitters are late-bloomers and mire durable. Ill bet lunch he is a Giant next year…

8. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:51 am

No on Puig and Castellanos. Or any big-name guy. If that was the plan of attack, they would have kept Pillar. We sign mid-level players in 2021, not now. We are dumpster diving this year and next.

Why? Because the brain trust isn’t going to put Belt, Posey, Longo, and Crawfish on the bench. So that means half our lineup is banjo hitting .220 guys to go along with the young banjo hitting .220 guys. Well, Longo gets lukewarm once in a while, but the point still is, more often than not we’ll have 2-3 shitty guys up every inning. Every inning.

They are completely bullshitting about Castellanos. By the time WE become relevant, he’ll be 30-31. Which may or may not be good. For a team trying to get younger, they can’t dick around with guys like Puig now, or Castellanos for the future now. If that makes sense.

And the only reason to keep Bummie is to get him on a team-friendly deal. I think he’d sign it. 3/80 is a hell of a lot more palatable than 4/130.

• blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:52 am

Thank you. You said it better than I could.

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:03 am

Lol. I mean, I’d love to see the $150 million bench but it ain’t gonna happen.

Well, come to think of it, if they aren’t even bothering to offer Bummie a perfunctory deal for him to spit on, they just might bench Crawfish and Belt.

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:56 am

Good post, Charlie. I agree. Well said, brother.

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:31 am

Chuck, if Puig is scraping the barrel because no one is willing to offer more than one year and $10 millionish…what is the harm bringing him on and maybe he starts a half dozen fights with the Flodgers….

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Because he’s an idiot. If he had a brain, he’d be a fucking great player. As it is, he’s the milion dollar body, 10 cent head guy. You can’t fix stupid.

9. Flavor said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:52 am

Last year we had like 3 weeks of enjoyable baseball, maybe a month I can’t recall. Most of July. And it got us, predictably, no where. In fact you could argue it set us back a couple of years because Z, for whatever reason, couldn’t trade the guys we should have traded.
    Anyway, bring on the re-build. There’s talent down there, we aren’t starting from scratch. I am embracing it with open arms…..

10. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:00 am

As far as Tim Ryan goes, our inability to distinguish between observation and degradation is pretty silly. Ryan knows the game, and has never come close to being anything but above-board. His observation may have been a little tongue-in-cheek, but in no way can be considered racist. Like saying Tom Seaver had an advantage over Bob Gibson because the ball was harder to pick up out of his white hand. What would the reaction be if someone said that?

There was nothing racist about what Ryan said, but in this world of overreacting to appear sensitive to everyone’s differences is ludicrous. Racism is obviously a huge problem in this country, and is only being exacerbated by the current administration, but these kinds of reactions to silly things demeans the whole issue.

11. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:17 am

Castellanous is only 27 he could easily slide into RF/LF corner spot and also has plenty of experience at 3B coming up and initially playing there for Detroit…
    He would be a perfect fit imo for a team with many holes to build with.
    I’m just sick of this organization when they say we’re in the running for this player are that and in the end they never are! Stop teasing fans and grow a pair, that your being proactive by adding Nick the Dick and trading Belt less for a AA player at this point.1 plus pickup1negative out the door a win win..

• blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:27 am

True . . . but he will be 28 before the season starts (3/4/1992 birthdate). AK, my issue is that he is a mediocre infielder at 3rd base. Who knows? Maybe if they get rid of Belt, they can move him to 1st or hide him in the outfield. Dunno.

• blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:33 am

He’ll also be an overpay, as Cub fans love him (i.e., he made quite a difference coming from the moribund Tigers late last season ) and the Cubs will try to resign him.

12. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:22 am

But by the time we matter he’ll be too old. We need to sign 27 year olds in 2021 not now.

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:57 am

Agree. Get ready to dumpster-dive for the next two years until they can shed the burdensome contracts from the previous regime.

The next two years are also the time to evaluate what we have in the minors to determine if they will be a part of the future rebuilt team.

13. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:56 am

Everybody’s an overpay that’s the problem.So if they get anybody it’s some non tender dudes they can fleece for around 750K?
    And I get sort of they can’t do anything till they get rid of these ridiculous Sabes/Booby night maré contracts. I just wish for once in this decade they can be players again on quality F/A. Then again build your club from your farm systems (Rays,Stros,A’s) is probably the best way to go, since no big name players want to play here anyway…

• gianthead said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:37 am

I am going to disagree with you AK in that the market for someone like Ozuna is probably not more than $15 mill a year and I made the argument above about Puig being had on the cheap. We know we have trouble bringing in the big smashers so landing an Ozuna and Puig in a one year deal is in our wheelhouse…think by 2022, we can possibly land 1b 3b with a big bat via trade over free agency…

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:44 am

You MAY get Puig on a one-year deal. Ozuna? No fucking way. He will want 3-4 years.

14. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 10:32 am

Yeah, those contracts is was and will be the problem for the next two years. When things have calmed down, and we start putting up awesome numbers with the park reconfig (I kid, I kid) , FAs will be clamoring to come here.

If we back up the truck.

15. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:11 am

Should the Giants not even be included in MLBTR are Bleacher Report anymore? There’s nothing to get excited about and there just irrelevant when it comes to players they will never get. “They should just flat out say:We are just building up the farm systems only, and not be misleading that there in the running for a certain player”

16. blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:38 am

Ozuna is a Giant next season???? Bet. How do I collect? 🙂

17. blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:47 am

Chi, bet GH and get a free lunch. lqtm.

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Z said he wants to sign a PHing corner OFer. I would not be totally surprised if Ozuna gets signed. Not confident enough that they WON’T to wager on that one (but, not confidant they WILL sign him either). Plus, how the fuck do you collect? Flapalooza East Coast, Part Deaux? 😉

18. djloo27 said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:58 am

Mets trade for Marisnick. I thought they might’ve gone for Pillar…

19. zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:01 pm

The main problem with what Ryan said was that it diminished Jackson’s performance. Ryan, himself, acknowledged that in his apology. I think a one-game suspension is about right.
    And we don’t even know that it’s true that Jackson’s skin color helped hide the ball. So we don’t even know if what Ryan said is true. I haven’t heard any black players rushing in to support Ryan on this, so that probably speaks volumes.
    A problem for Ryan is that he didn’t understand the hurtful nature of what he said. My experience with black people is they don’t want white people walking around on eggshells around them worrying about what to say; but they would like to be treated as equals of everyone else. That’s what everyone wants for themselves. So, by talking about Jackson’s skin color as some kind of secret advantage, he lessened Jackson’s accomplishment, and I could see that being a kind of depressing thing for black people to hear. A white guy had to bring up skin color to talk about the black person’s performance.

• chipower9 said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:47 pm

I did not see ANYTHING about his comment being related to inequality of races, rasicm, etc. He made a comment that with Jackson’s skin color, and the dark uniforms, it made it harder for the defenders to pick-up the ball . What the hell is racist or insensitive about that? I understand their is a problem with racism in our country, but feel we have gone overboard on the sensitivity stuff, at times. IMO, this was one of those times, and this instance was completely overblown. Again, just my opinion.

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 2:21 pm

I disagree with you, but that’s alright. The Flap would be boring if everybody agreed about everything all the time. 🙂

20. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Willie, the problem with the Padres is they are trying to constantly RETOOL not rebuild. Sure, semantics are dumb, but they keep playing it like they are one player away, when they aren’t. They have some young talent, and Machado.

They were 66-96 in 2018. That screams rebuild. Instead they threw all their money at Machado. Their stupidity isn’t a reflection of what we are doing. We are working in the mold of the Astros.

Without the garbage cans.

21. zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Every white guy of a certain age on the Flap knows what was said about black guys playing QB back in the day. Ryan could have show some sensitivity to that.
    I like Ryan, and I expect him to bounce back fully from this.

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Yeah, this ain’t Rush Limbaugh (Remember his 5 minutes on CBS Sports?) or Jimmy the Greek type shit

22. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, the comment was ignorant. But really, the Niners bit on the fake all day. They DID have a hard time picking up the ball. Attributing it to solely skin color is wrong. I mean, Aaron Rodgers is pretty good at it too, but to say it has nothing to do with it is wrong as well. I’m sure the weather played its part too.

More troubling is George Zimmerman suing Trayvon Williams’ family for $100 million.

• alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Yeah the weather was horrible in Baltimore , but both teams had to deal with it..
      Actually it was worse in GB where it was snowing!☃️
      Wonder if the opponent was at a disadvantage with Rogers fakes coming from a player with white hands?

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 2:24 pm

“to say it has nothing to do with it is wrong as well.”

How do we know that? We’d have to hear from the players on that, and they’re probably not going to speak out about it. Ryan had a theory that may be based on nothing.

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Well, I had a hard time picking it up watching on TV, that’s for sure. They had black jerseys on, and the football is dark brown.

It doesn’t diminish anything that Jackson does. It is what it is. Aaron Rodgers fakes handoffs well. So do other white QBs. But to say it doesn’t make it harder to see is just ignoring common sense. And colors. To point is out as being racist minimizes actual racism. I’m not saying you are, just that the prevailing wind is to castigate the guy.

I guess they did the right thing by suspending him or one game. Mainly because Ryan is an announcer and should know better than to say something that obviously is being taken the wrong way.

If I said white pitchers had an advantage because it is harder to pick the ball up coming out of a white hand, would you be offended?

23. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:18 pm

For a dumpster dive pickup,what do you think guys think of SP Julio Terehan( 29)in Jan. Very durable pitcher, gives you 30 plus starts a year.Could be a good fit with Cueto feeding off of each other’s enthusiasm. Another Dumpster Dive SP Rick Porcello another durable innings eater,these 2 are experienced pitchers while waiting for the youngsters to develop more, Zman’s cheap way of throwing the fans a morsel but not overpaying as well..

24. blade3colorado said, on December 5, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Ozuna is not coming here. This Yardbarker site is estimating 5 years and $90 million dollars for his services. By the by, this was put out in early November and look at how much they underestimated Moustakas, Wheeler, Grandal’s deals. My point is that the writer is being conservative. Also, go down to Bumgarner’s projected deal of 3 years, $46.5 million . . . That obviously is going way, way, way up. Why? Because of Wheeler’s “stupid is, as stupid does” deal.

However, I digress – no way, no how Ozuna plays here, unless we go over $100 million for 4 or 5 years. Hilarious.

• alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 3:27 pm

25 predictions and not one going to the Giants!
      Yep very accurate indeed…

25. zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 2:27 pm

According to the Ryan theory, then, white baseball pitchers have an advantage over black pitchers because it’s harder to see the white baseball come out of the white pitcher’s hand. Has anyone ever heard that in their entire life? (Spoiler alert: no, no one has ever heard that.)

• alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 2:39 pm

I bet Josh Hader thinks that on the mound but even as a dumbshit racist he won’t say it…

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:58 pm

But if Juan Marichal said it, would you be offended?

26. djloo27 said, on December 5, 2019 at 2:54 pm

This was big stuff back then…

27. Bozo said, on December 5, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Wait, we haven’t heard back from Kai Correa yet and y’all are already waving the white flag?

• alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 5:11 pm

If we don’t hear from him I assume he took the job at the koi pond…🐠🐟

28. Flavor said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:11 pm

• djloo27 said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:31 pm

I give up…

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:48 pm

i mean, look on the bright side—at least he’s older than most of the players.

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:58 pm

And he’d probably hit better than most of them given the chance.

29. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:54 pm

GH, we are gonna be miles from .500. 77 wins will look like 90 in 2020. We won’t break 70. Barring some sort of miracle 12 person trade where all our bad deals go away, we are looking at 95 losses.

30. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:56 pm

I don’t know Loo, the guy couldn’t be any worse then the 2 headed idiots we had last year, with Rick Schu and Alonso Powell. Powell so bad no other teams wanted him except the “Chop Suey Dragons “🐉 of the Japanese league..
    They also wanted some guy named Sean Kenny from the University of Georgia to be their pitching coach but was denied an interview..
    Ok yeah I give up too lol 😂

31. Flavor said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:56 pm

wtf was going on over there? This is the WORLD SERIES, lol, and look at that dump

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 6:59 pm

They were. Charlie O got 20% of the profit, and 30% of the vig.

I’m sure Charlie O thought bunting was too much money.

32. alleykat69 said, on December 5, 2019 at 7:21 pm

Crowd looks like a polyester leisure suit convention event..

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Looks like Davey Lopes sporting a Pirates batting helmet.

And Trubisky’s killer runs tonight might make Tim Ryan rethink his theory.

33. willedav said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:13 pm

The mold of the Astros? Unc,Giants are or soon will be drafting the next Geo Springer Jose Altuve Correa etc.?
    And 77 Ws is gonna be high water mark for few years? hmmnn
    I think Kat wins internet with 9:56 “everybody is an overpay.” I’ve heard too old good but not great wants too many years yada yada. Reminds of women who come in store asking for a product and no matter what you show them, they find something wrong with it.
    So I just walk away and tell em “good luck.” Same to z and his GM…good luck shopping at Ross sale rack.

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Well, there ain’t much we can do with the 7 deadly contracts we are saddled with. Mainly because Belt, Crawford, Longo, and Posey are gonna play a majority of the time. You could put Mays and Mantle on the team, and we’d have trouble scoring.

We HAVE to build through the draft because the team has already proven they aren’t going over the cap, and they aren’t gonna eat contracts. Where does that leave us?

34. zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:14 pm

It’s like the ball isn’t even there. Invisible.

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:14 pm

• Flavor said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Ryan was discussing the illusion of play action, this pic has nothing to do with it.

• unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 10:30 pm

It ain’t even play action. It’s the read option. The QB holds the ball on the RB longer.

35. zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Sorry about the double post of the photo. I have no idea what happened on that.

36. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Now THIS is a good thread. The Flap hot stove got lit and is throwing heat today….

37. Flavor said, on December 5, 2019 at 8:40 pm

this seems like the sort of thing we should be seeing Z doing

38. snarkk said, on December 5, 2019 at 9:09 pm

How’s about a couple of 4-team deals? That would liven things up a bit.

I have no reasoned or well considered opinion on this Tim Ryan thing.
    I heard his radio snippet repeated on the radio; surely he meant no malice in saying that. I know he’s extolled the talent of Jackson before; just a poor choice of words in today’s environment.
    The real racism of red states’ voter suppression laws, voter ID limitations, and other voter restrictions on people of color as well as students is what should be the focus of attention…

39. unca_chuck said, on December 5, 2019 at 10:23 pm

The gist of it:

“It was 100% an issue,” Sherman said. “It’s the way (Ryan) presented it. That’s why it wasn’t offensive because what he was saying was a great point. It has been that way since any zone-read scheme. The mesh point is a tough point of contention. So you add a dark jersey to it and it’s going to make it even harder. But obviously you can always phrase it better.”

“Technically, it was a valid point. But you can always phrase things better and not say ‘his black skin’ but I’ve had a relationship since I got here and he’s never been anything but a great guy and a professional and a guy who takes his job seriously.”

40. zumiee said, on December 5, 2019 at 10:41 pm

“Yesterday’s news is tomorrow’s fish ‘n chip paper.”
    In German, “Morgen Wickelt Man Darin Fisch Ein.”
    The German dude nails another Elvis Costello song.

41. snarkk said, on December 5, 2019 at 11:49 pm

Nice article on Bum; a bit heavy on the stats side, but interesting…