Poor Man’s Eckersley?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 6, 2019

Now that Ecker is aboard and the team is nearly complete (lqtm) I’ve had a nice and relaxed calm wash over me. Expectations for 2020 are low, I’ve accepted it. I’m there. When I see trades go down like Pham for Renfroe I have a setback on the Winter ease I’ve settled into. I want Z do do things like that. But 3in5 has instilled a great level of patience within me. I can wait…..

I’m glad Sherman said what he said about Tim Ryan. This was just a case of a guy who lives and breathes football who was trying to get tricky with his analysis. Actually it was a fairly interesting take on why 49er defenders were having so much trouble dealing with the play-action in that game. Ryan has already said he has learned from this and the 49er PLAYERS, and this is key, have said they have his back. That’s good enough for me.

1. Bozo said, on December 6, 2019 at 5:59 am

“Ecker only spent two seasons playing in affiliated ball and never advanced past the Low-A level.

After retiring as a player, one of the first jobs Ecker held in coaching was as an assistant at Los Altos High. Five years after his tenure coaching the Eagles ended, he’ll find himself in the dugout at Oracle Park.”

If that doesn’t scream major league hitting coach attcha, how about this?

…the hitting coach’s teaching methods incorporate “human movement research and technology-based applications to the body and swing.”

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2019 at 6:09 am

sounds like a guy Belt will adore.

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2019 at 6:09 am

yes, that’s a joke, Belt doesn’t listen to anyone.

• Bozo said, on December 6, 2019 at 6:45 am

He must have listened to someone on bunting techniques, Belt could bunt like a mofo last year.

• Bozo said, on December 6, 2019 at 6:46 am

I forgot to add the 🙂 at the end of that.

2. chipower9 said, on December 6, 2019 at 7:04 am

Yeah, the KNBR morning crew was going over this Ecker cat. Only thing I heard differently than what the clown shared was that Ecker was the head coach at Los Altos High. Not like that moves the fucking needle, any. WTF, ever. I am with you Flav. I am just wrapping myself in the blanket of glory of 3-in-5, and jumping on for the ride over the next couple of years.

I am hoping that the Flap is still alive and kicking in a couple of years, and we can reflect on this time, and say “hey, remember when Z did blah blah blah.” Could be some interesting conversations.

3. sandog said, on December 6, 2019 at 7:49 am

Who do you think won that Padre trade? Seems to be well received down here, but I think the Rays got the better end of it. I like Pham, but Renfroe being younger, more controllable, more power PLUS a nice prospect is a good return in my book.

• willedav said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:31 am

if it’s all about money, Tampa which gains control of cheaper player in Renfroe and potentially a prospect they could flip if he ever amounts to anything

. Pham seems clearly the better more rounded player. One question I’ve seen debated would be value of Renfroe’s defense. A guy that hits .229 (with low OB) with power, idk.

So one team decides to spend a little more $$ to acquire someone that improves their team and makes them little better right now even though they are probably outside group of playoff contenders at present. hmmnn interesting concept, no?

• sandog said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:54 am

One of these years, the Pads are actually going to start winning more games. I say it every year and end up being wrong every year, but I still think they are close to breaking through.
        I think the committment to the brown uniforms (which I love) is going to put them over the top this time.
        Watch out for the Pads in 2020!

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:59 am

Dog, I think the Friars have to do everything possible to land Cole if they are going to make that org any better..

4. gianthead said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:58 am

Bum to the Cards makes a whole lot of sense…

5. blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:11 am

San Dog, based upon their acquisitions, farm system, front office – I actually think you’re spot on in having projected good things for the Padres the last few years. So, why do they look “good on paper” and not on the field? One reason I have read on more than a few occasions, is that they are still developing a “winning mentality.” Once that takes hold, I think they will be successful.

Yeah, I know that sounds nebulous and can’t be quantified. However, think about the New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills (during their run in the 90s), Cubs, Red Sox, our San Francisco Giants, etc. All these teams had periods or a history of losing, but they were turned around by a coach, manager, and/or a dynamic player who was a leader on the field. My point is that this is perhaps the missing ingredient.

In any event, great post and I think you’re going to be right eventually.

• unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:17 am

Machado is the antithesis of ‘winning mentality.’ Hate to say it but the Pads are doomed, esp if they go after Cole. All that will do is get them near .500.

They look to follow the Phillies in chasing the dragon by throwing stupid money at it.

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:28 am

You proved my point. Machado is a selfish player. However, he is a very good player. That’s not me saying it either – most experts agree he’s a good hitter and excellent fielder. So yeah, he’s not going to lead them to the promised land, but that doesn’t mean San Dog or I are wet . . . Again, we’ll see in 2020.

• unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:33 am

Not really. Machado is no leader. For a great example in a different sport, look at the Dallas Cowboys. They have the #1 offense, the #1 QB and the #8 defense, a shit ton of talent, yet they are 6-7.

No leaders. Just guys building stats and getting checks. And Garrett is a horrible coach.

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2019 at 10:34 am

Why I think Cole is a must have acquisition for the Friars…

6. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:28 am

Ooops. Hamels signed with the Bravos yesterday.

7. alleykat69 said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:56 am

So Ecker’s hitting philosophy is based on incorporating human movement and technology based applications to the body and swing?
    So if we have a bunch of old players that can’t move their hips and their bat speeds eroding,how does this philosophy suppose to work?

• unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 11:29 am

I think it would be more for the young players.

8. sandog said, on December 6, 2019 at 10:41 am

The take you often hear down here is that the Pads need more starting pitching and more high OPS trades—thus the trade for Pham, who is a solid OPS guy. Pham reminds me a bit of Loo’s boy Roy White, who I also liked when I was a kid.
    I wonder if the Pads will regret trading Eric Lauer. I used to talk about how D Holland always pitched great when I was at the actual game. Kinda the same for Lauer—I have seen him throw some nice games in person and view him as someone who could develop into a poor man’s Tom Glavine. He’s a smooth operator out there on the bump and I’ll be keeping an eye on him for sure.

9. chipower9 said, on December 6, 2019 at 10:54 am

Well, guess you cannot fully close the door on Bum just yet…

10. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 11:30 am

At least they are talking. I think Bummie really wants to stay and would take a 3 year deal.

• chipower9 said, on December 6, 2019 at 2:23 pm

I agree.

• djloo27 said, on December 6, 2019 at 2:28 pm

I just can’t see that, Chuck. He can do so much better than that and the team sucks.
      Plus, no Bochy…

• alleykat69 said, on December 6, 2019 at 3:13 pm

I’m agreeing with Loo.
      They say their talking I’m not buying it.
      Z’s tatic to please the fans only, it’s only smoke& mirrors, just like they say their in with Nick Castellanos and everyone knows their not.
      Their cutting payrolls and players with big coin coming( Pillar&Bum)only and sign dumpster diving players and now unproven coaches! Curt Young is gone next for some college pitching coach, are some quality pitching assistant…

11. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 12:45 pm

And, remember,

rk

• alleykat69 said, on December 6, 2019 at 1:04 pm

Kornerko Getz Kuntz?
      Always cracked up when I heard Rusty Kuntz name introduced!
      Right up their with Pete LaCock& Dick Pole,Dick Butts, Énos “Penis” Cabell..

12. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Fair Hooker always made me laugh as a kid.

13. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 3:26 pm

14. djloo27 said, on December 6, 2019 at 3:45 pm

I haven’t rolled this guy out in a few years…

15. Flavor said, on December 6, 2019 at 4:58 pm

uncool. Salty was absurd but he was must-listen to radio

• alleykat69 said, on December 6, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Yeah I listened to Salty’s rambles for years,he was quite opinionated but came off to me as just a guy that really liked baseball/ football and they gave him plenty of air time.I read where he was battling cancer and hadn’t been on for awhile.Agree that it’s uncool to mock him. Man I could just picture Twin&Salty throwin jabs at each other cause they had similar personalities..

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2019 at 6:21 pm

i just meant it was uncool that he died, I don’t think that twitter handle was mocking him. I didn’t know he was sick, hadn’t heard him in a while, but I haven’t listened to much pm radio in the last 6 months or so

• djloo27 said, on December 6, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Not the Salty that used to post here?

• alleykat69 said, on December 6, 2019 at 5:43 pm

No I don’t think so.He was to Salty to post here.More of a Dennis Del/Mar type..

16. Flavor said, on December 6, 2019 at 6:22 pm

Salty was the fan who thought he could have been the GM easily. Like, in his sleep. Most of his takes were simple and he thought way too much of himself. Still, he’ll be missed.

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 6, 2019 at 7:25 pm

I’ve also always felt that Bum wants to stay. I’m getting the sense that it’s Z who doesn’t really want Bum to stay. Kind of gives some lip service but not really all in. Guess we’ll find out.

18. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 6, 2019 at 7:42 pm

And the GM meetings are next week, right? From what I remember, Giants never were too active there. Just lots of buffet table conversations. Have a feeling it will be different this year.

19. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 7:55 pm

Tim Ryan only gets a one day suspension? Walter did it like a baller.

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Walter was darn near solely responsible for LBJ hanging’ it up for the ’68 re-election effort.
      When he reported out of Vietnam that the situation was a disaster, that was it.
      Truth actually mattered, then…

• unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:05 pm

Yep. Back when news wasn’t part of the entertainment budget.

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 6, 2019 at 7:59 pm

In that link Loo provided to the article about Puig, the writer says this: “This is a new era of Giants baseball, where nostalgia — and apparently PR — aren’t top priorities.” Maybe. I still think if PR wasn’t a top priority, they would’ve been more trade-active at the deadline last summer…

21. alleykat69 said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Yeah Sabean &Booby just hung out at the bar& pool having umbrella drink 🍹while the real serious GM’s made deals.Im hoping Farhan&Harris come down there and be alittle more aggressive riverboat approach and either try to sucker a team are 2( think Melonface) into getting rid of more dead weight are adding a couple cheap analytic pickups with atleast a RH outfielder and a LH infielder… And then theirs the pen and starters, man they have their hands full..

22. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Here you go, Dawg . . .

23. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:19 pm

If they were gonna get Puig, why not just keep Pillar? If they do get Puig, I would really wonder if they are trying to aggravate the fan base. Or if they are simply smoking crack. 4/$48 mill? As in, fuck Farhan and the front office. Sorry, I’m all for making needed changes, but dumping Bumgarner and signing Puig would seriously piss me off.

I seriously can’t fathom that the front office could be this tone deaf.

• djloo27 said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Aggravated is way better than indifferent…

• unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:05 pm

Nope. I mean, they are gonna lose anyway, which will empty the stadium, but if they dump Bummie and sign Puig, they will lose more fans.

• djloo27 said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:24 pm

Bum’s gone either way, Chuck. Those 2 are forever linked, but bringing in Puig has nothing to do with Bum’s fate.
      If Puig plays well, the fans will love him.
      Nobody wanted Kent, did they?

• unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2019 at 8:34 am

I know that but if it comes to pass, it will piss off a lot of fans.

24. snarkk said, on December 6, 2019 at 8:42 pm

I agreed a lot more than I disagreed with Salty’s rants on KNBR over the years.
    Sad to hear of his passing…

25. alleykat69 said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:16 pm

He went by Baltimore Dave, but he actually was from Clovis Ca..Kruger started calling him Salty, probably cause of his crazy rants. But he was a legend with plenty of air time as they would let him go on and on at times!

26. zumiee said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:27 pm

Kings blew a 9 point lead with a minute and a half to go in regulation. That takes some mighty big choking.

27. zumiee said, on December 6, 2019 at 9:54 pm

I read a biography of Conkrite that was pretty good, by Douglas Brinkley.
    I’ve read several of Brinkley’s books. He’s a professor at Rice University. He’s been on TV a lot lately getting asked questions on the topic of impeachment.
    Historians are getting a lot of screen time lately.

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2019 at 11:15 pm

That Meacham guy is interviewed a lot.
      I like his views, but he seems a bit of a self-serious, haughty blowhard. Talks as if he had a personal relationship with some of “the Founders”…

• zumiee said, on December 6, 2019 at 11:45 pm

Ha ha! I can see that, BUT his book “The Soul of America” is fantastic. I’ve read it twice and will probably read it again. It’s helped me get through the Trump era.

28. zumiee said, on December 7, 2019 at 2:10 am

The German dude does a good job on Elvis Costello’s “New Lace Sleeves.” In German, simply called “Spitzenkleid.”

29. willedav said, on December 7, 2019 at 7:28 am

@sandog: godson (who re upped seasons package) said Pads have more and better replacements for Lauer in farm and they needed vet guy like Davies. Wasn’t too high on Arias, nor Hedges, as guys that just can’t hit. Actually, Bum would be perfect fit I told him–to set tone for how real ML pitchers work on off days and compete.

They should be next year where snark thought in 2019, 2nd and near top of division. Godson loves new unis too an the home pinstripes look pretty good.
    To me a good example of off season where they add pieces to address areas of need–2b, SP pen. Their IF is solid and it is still mostly young team. Mgr., we’ll see.