Winter Meetings Day 2

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 11, 2019

Pretty cool with Z so far. Gausman, fine whatever, we need a starting pitcher. And he’s affordable. The Cozart thing is cool because of how creative it was–basically buying a first rounder. I don’t know if this ever works out, The Dubs did it with McKinnie and I think someone else. Didn’t work out. And if the Angels are giving up on this dude so quickly he’s probably a mistake pick.

But I still like the creativity….

Giving Cole 324 million is hilarious and the Yankees must really be getting desperate. Having not won a World Series in so long must be eating away at the hair on Cashman’s balding head.

If the Giants had signed that dude for 324 million I would have puked.

1. zumiee said, on December 11, 2019 at 5:52 am

I think I read somewhere that this past decade is the first decade in the past 100 years that the Yankees got shut-out from winning a championship.

• Flavor said, on December 11, 2019 at 5:55 am

the last one they won was the year before we won our *first* so maybe this is a nice karmic era we are in……

• blade3colorado said, on December 11, 2019 at 6:24 am

Yes, the one before that was 1910 to 1920 I believe.

• Macdog said, on December 11, 2019 at 7:47 am

This was the first decade since the 1910s the Yanks didn’t even get to the World Series. In the ’80s, the Yanks made it to the WS once (’81) but didn’t win it.

• gianthead said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:17 am

Dont think the Yankees won in the 80s….

2. blade3colorado said, on December 11, 2019 at 6:22 am

So, I was right about the owners opening up the purse strings (see my 3:08pm yesterday) and I bet Bum gets at least $125 million because of the last 3 stupid deals . . . and they are stupid.

3. willedav said, on December 11, 2019 at 7:18 am

I think it’s unfortunate Giants have dropped $20 mil on a prospect and a reject. The kid might turn into something in few years. The next Altuve um no. the other guy sucks.
    Z paints a good picture and covers all bases with the things he says like a politician making promises he isn’t gonna keep. We want to remain competitive. We value our young players and want to create opportunity. We need power. We are looking for corner OF bat.

What he does? Lets 4 of his better players walk including 30 bombs and his best power hitters in LU and off bench He hasn’t used any of $$ saved to jettison older underperforming vets…and instead acquires older one.
    Just not into Kool Aid this morning.

4. gianthead said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:11 am

Yeah the idea of Cole giving us a deal around $240 was not going to fly. 2 arms and 2 bats I said…Gausman and Cozart (Wilson) not exactly what I was expecting.

How concrete are the Castellanos rumors?

5. unca_chuck said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:13 am

It’s early in the process, Willie. All I want to see is 2 bad deals gone this season. By hook or by crook. All this sign-and-jettison flailing is going on till April I’m sure. Farhan had an absolute bare cupboard in the minors and the majors. There has to be a lot of thrash. Trying to remain relevant while rebuilding doesn’t work. Ask the Padres.

We need a lot of things. Including 3rd, SS, 1st base, LFer, right-handed power, more pen arms, and a starter. But now isn’t the time to sign long-term deals. We are in dumpster diving mode. And the dumpster is on fire.

• willedav said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:29 am

Unc I hear you on it being early. Just think they could have done more with $20 mil GM spent yesterday. But disagree minors were empty–as was pointed out yesterday S/E drafted or acquired most all of Giants good prospects along with deal for Shaun Anderson (for Nunez). Props to Z for getting Davis and Dubon–let’s see what they bring. Power? um I don’t see it…they lost 30 bombs off last year so even if those 2 do that they aren’t any better. Gausman? more like gascan.

6. sandog said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:19 am

I’m Down With The Sickness. We’re gonna suck this year, but we’re gonna give some young guys a shot to see that they can do. I’m even ready now to say goodbye to Bum and totally tear the bandaid off.
    I like the Cozart trade. Yes, Angels must be down on the guy they drafted, but sometimes taking a flyer like that works out. Get used to it—I bet there are more moves like that coming down the line.
    Gausman? I agree with Flav. We need arms and if Zaidi likes him, that’s good enough for me.
    Give me a few new guys to watch—that’s all I ask. If they tend to be younger and have some upside—all the better.

7. blade3colorado said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:34 am

I am absolutely down with Gausman. With the Reds, the 29-year-old Gausman pitched well over a limited sample of 22 1/3 innings, evidenced by a 4.03 ERA with tremendous strikeout and walk rates of 11.7 and 2.0, respectively. Earlier with the Braves, he put up an ugly 6.19 ERA across 80 innings as a starter. That said, the Atlanta version of Gausman did manage a respectable 4.20 FIP with a similarly solid 9.6 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9.

Gausman apparently hated it, but the Reds almost exclusively used him in the bullpen. I suspect Z will do the same thing a la Pomerantz’s outstanding resurrection as a closer in Minnesota. Regardless, this is a good, cheap move in my opinion. Same thing with the Wilson and Cozart deal.

• gianthead said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:54 am

Think he is a starter until he fails…

8. blade3colorado said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:49 am

Newsflash! Giants with or without lost bombs from last year still means a shitty year. Same deal with pitchers being dealt or lost. Repeat after me – WE ARE REBUILDING. Or hear it from Z himself:

“If you said to the Dodgers: Do you want the Giants to take chances with young players and have the chance to really build something? Or do you want them to go with a veteran group and just play that game? What would you rather do?” Zaidi posited.

He answered that one himself, too, saying that the Dodgers would prefer that the Giants keep treading water with a veteran squad “because, frankly, they feel like they have a better group. And as long as we’re trying to play catch-up like that with veteran players, we’re not going to get there.”

• snarkk said, on December 11, 2019 at 9:09 am

When you go on a diet, you don’t diet one day, then eat pizza and ribs the next. Giants are on a diet of getting rid of bad contracts, and gathering young talent. They’re going to be in the 70Ws range again, maybe even 60s; might as well use $ to stock young talent while doing it …

• blade3colorado said, on December 11, 2019 at 9:12 am

Excellent analogy.

• gianthead said, on December 11, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Now you tell me about dieting…

9. unca_chuck said, on December 11, 2019 at 9:48 am

My problem still is they are going to play the walking dead guys more often than not.

10. alleykat69 said, on December 11, 2019 at 9:55 am

Cole struck out 326 batters last year.
    So his contract is 324 million, which equates to a million dollars per strikeout in salary!!!
    Unreal what this game has gotten too..

11. alleykat69 said, on December 11, 2019 at 10:16 am

Giants supposedly the top bidder for Castellanos services. His OPS against lefties in 120 AB’s between Detroit .891 then Cubs .1138 is just what the Giants need in the heart of the LU,along with his age at 27 still in his prime!

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 11, 2019 at 11:13 am

I’m somewhat unimpressed with Zaidi’s winter meeting moves thus far but can understand them. Moronta’s injury at the end of the season causes a ripple effect until he returns (if at all). Shawn Anderson showed well in the BP and seems like that’s where he ends up so where does that leave the rotation as it currently stands?

The candidates are Gausman, Samardzija, Cueto, Webb, Beede, Rodríguez, Suárez & Menez? Samardzija, Cueto, Webb, Beede,& Menez might be able to fill out the rotation but realistically I only have confidence in maybe 2-3 of those guys meaning the Sactown train is going to be in full effect next year. It seems like there’s an opportunity to eat some salary and trade high on Samardzija creating a spot to bring back Bumgarner but I doubt he’s coming back. They’ve already brought back Dickerson and Solano right? Sign Castellanos, some other dumpster dives, aggressively promote Bart and who knows what can happen.

13. zumiee said, on December 11, 2019 at 11:51 am

“Dont think the Yankees won in the 80s….”

Yeah, the thing I read must have been about the Yankees not GETTING to the World Series in a decade for the first time in a 100 years.

14. zumiee said, on December 11, 2019 at 12:02 pm

There’s no guarantee that Zaidi ever gets the Giants a championship, but he has a clear idea of where he wants to take the Giants organization, and the Giants organization needed fresh leadership. No one is degrading the amazing success Sabean and Evans had with the 3 championships. That’s an incredible historic accomplishment that Giants fans will savor for a very long time; but it was time for a change. The whole organization was dead in the water the last few years. A total rebuild was needed. And an acknowledgement was needed that some things have changed in the game, starting with literally the baseball itself.

• zumiee said, on December 11, 2019 at 12:13 pm

We can dislike the Dodgers and A’s as much as we want to (and we do), but we would all admit their organizations have been talent-development factories the last several years. That’s Zaidi’s vision for the Giants. A steady stream of strong talent being developed for the big club.

• blade3colorado said, on December 11, 2019 at 12:40 pm

“Talent development factories.” Great phrase . . . Conversely, we’ve been 3rd world entrepreneurs:

15. djloo27 said, on December 11, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Now that Wacha signed with Mets, the Cards sure look like a great spot for Bum…

• Flavor said, on December 11, 2019 at 6:32 pm

If you’re Bum and you don’t really care about money wouldn’t you just totally be focused on signing with the team that you want to play for, not the team that will pay you? What’s the minimum he’s going to get, 80 mil? Wouldn’t like nearly every team in baseball offer him an 80 million dollar deal? Go where you want, man, you’ve earned it.

• djloo27 said, on December 11, 2019 at 7:05 pm

I could see that for a difference of a few million, but I don’t think he’s taking 5/90 from a preferred team over 5/125 from another. Plus there’s gotta be a little ego involved, too…

• unca_chuck said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:09 pm

If Bummie has shown anything is that he doesn’t give a shit about anything but what he wants. He has nothing to prove to anyone anywhere.

And I’m sure he wants to stay in the National League.

• djloo27 said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Ok, but do you think he’d leave $30 million on the table – especially after that first humiliating contract?

16. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 11, 2019 at 7:42 pm

MLB site put up the list of all (mostly newly appointed) Giants coaches. Ages 29 to 38, avg. age looks to be about 34. Obviously young, some of them perhaps somewhat inexperienced, but I like it. Hell, there were some years there that this age list looked like the team’s lineup. If we figure the coaches will be older than the players, then finally youth perhaps shall be served. Not a good omen for the core.

17. willedav said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:39 pm

“when you’re on a diet…” looks to me like Giants are on a starvation of talent assets diet. Best hitter/best bench bat/closer/2nd best SP gone off 77W team. Sounds more like bulimia to me.
    As Hank said, Giants have taken 9-10 mil $$ for Pillar and signed Gausman…If anyone had said that trade straight up is a good idea I think they’d have been sent to room B.

and they haven’t jettisoned anyone since Melancon. Instead they actually took on another bad contract for a guy who might not even play for them.
    I think a better use of that $$$ would have been for a player than could help make this season better. Giants will get 2 extra picks plus their own once Bum signs. I’ll take a real ML player right now especially if the $12 mil spent winds up impeding chances they could dump off Belt and Craw.

Understand prevailing sentiment seems to be Z and GM have a plan and know what they are doing. Happy to poke holes in that argument. Right now Giants FO looks like swiss cheese.

• snarkk said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:47 pm

What does “make this season better mean”? Some guy that helps win 69 instead of 66? And the delta of 3 means no Angels first rounder in the SF stable? No thanks…

• unca_chuck said, on December 11, 2019 at 9:20 pm

Last year we should have lost 95 games. But for the miracle flap invasion that boosted the month of July, they were pretty bad. They ARE pretty bad. Maybe they can sign Castellanos for 4/88. If they are gonna go for it, then they sign Bumme at 5/110. And what? We still have an infield that is anemic at best, and isn’t carrying their weight. And OF that is unproven. We STILL wouldn’t score runs. We still would have a shakey pen. And we’d be tied to 2 more deals that will take time to get over.

The Padres have been doing this for years now. They win the preseason with a bunch of signings and moves, but end up right back in the cellar. This is the way to go. tread water until we unload the dead wood, and draft better.

18. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 11, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Looks to me like the FO had their sights on Will Wilson for awhile now, he was obviously the key focus of that “trade”. G’s gave up nothing for him except eating Cozart’s salary. Cozart perhaps equals Scooter Gennett in this case. Fine with that. If Wilson turns out to be the SS the team needs for the future, no one will remember eating Cozart’s salary as a sort of “buy in” to get Wilson. I suspect we’ll see more moves like this, and of course not all will work out but yes, I think there definitely is a plan to eventually make enough of these to build a new team with some sustainable talent. Up close, may look like a lot of holes, but there’s no way FO is making these moves randomly. There’s a plan. I’m fine with not being able to see the whole of it yet…

19. unca_chuck said, on December 11, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Angels get Rendon for 7/$245 mill. Maybe they’ll only lose 85 games this year.

20. mrsprtdude said, on December 11, 2019 at 9:37 pm

Maybe a fleece??? Cozart was a good hitter, an all-star, and still young. If he gets healthy enough to play they can eat salary if he sucks, and be traded if he is good, for more prospects. Either way they take a small risk for the 15th pick in the draft. When you MLB AND your minor league players suck you have to take a chance. Better than doing nothing imo…

21. zumiee said, on December 11, 2019 at 9:39 pm

Kings win another close one. A one point win over the Thunder tonight.
    The biggest impact I see so far of the Luke Walton era is the improved defense.