Bummed Out

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 15, 2019

Mixed feelings about Bum leaving. On one hand, I’m fine with it. Everything ends sooner or later, I don’t need to hold on to my heroes till everyone’s dead. Joe left. The Thrill left. Everyone leaves. Everything ends. Life sucks.

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 7.55.28 PM

Still, it would have been nice to have him around. We do still need actual starting pitchers. And I’m not sure what the point was of going 4 years but not 5. The Giants are going to stink next year and possibly the year after that. If you go 4 years you’re hoping Bum is still effective in year 3 and 4 when you get good again. If the blueprint is to be good in 5 years you’d want Bum then, too.

And now, he’s dressed in soot. He’s going to look terrible in that uniform and I don’t think he’s going to be very good pitching so many games in that dry air. Someone said he’s got a house and horses there or something. Maybe that’s why he wants to play there. Maybe his largening wife has big girlfriends there. Who knows.

Very little of this makes sense…..

1. Flavor said, on December 15, 2019 at 8:00 pm

2. unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2019 at 8:27 pm

If you are doing a rebuild, you go all in. These front office guys seem pretty schitzophrenic though when they try for Harper, and say they are in for Cole, etc. and then cheap out on a proven guy like Bummie, who obviously holds a gigantic spot in Giants fans hearts, but hey, happy trails.

I think he’s gonna suffer in that park and that dry air, but what the hell. Have at it.

3. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 15, 2019 at 8:28 pm

I’m also bummed about Bum leaving, now that it’s all over and done. Truly feels like the end of a special era. Oh well. There certainly are loads of great dirt bike trails all over that desert…..

4. djloo27 said, on December 15, 2019 at 8:35 pm

“Everything ends. Life sucks.”
    What an incredibly negative statement.
    I agree 100%…

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 15, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Can’t blame him for not wanting to play for Kapler. I mean, the jury is still out but he seems like a total d-bag

6. djloo27 said, on December 15, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Off topic – sort of…

A couple of weeks ago, I’m listening to WFAN in the middle of the night. A guy calls in, strong voice, sounding upbeat. This is how I remember the conversation…

Caller: Good evening. Believe it or not, I’m 93 years old – I saw Babe Ruth play…

Host (interrupting): Wait a minute! Before you go any further – you sound amazing! Please tell my audience the secret of your longevity. We would all love to hear your advice.

Caller: My advice is DON’T DO IT!!! EVERY DAY IS MISERABLE!! NOTHING BUT PAIN, PAIN AND MORE PAIN!!!

7. unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Welcome Back Kotter has nothing to do with this. Maybe Bummie felt slighted by the front office, maybe not. But they were not going to dole out a 5 year deal to him.

• djloo27 said, on December 15, 2019 at 8:59 pm

Why is everyone hung up on the years?
      The guaranteed money is all that matters.
      Would Bum or anyone else rather have 5/90 than 4/90?

8. sandog said, on December 15, 2019 at 9:00 pm

I was kind of pissed at first, but I’m getting over it. I mean, once they let Bum become a free agent they pretty much kissed him goodbye. Obviously Zaidi’s thinking is that he would rather have 17 mil each year to spend on 2 or 3 year one year rental types like Gausman. Doesn’t work out? It was only for a year and you bring in someone else next year. No worries about injuries o ra guy losing it and being stuck with him for 3 years. We’re following the A’s model.
    I’m glad Bum is in the division and we’ll get to see him a bunch. AZ seems like a good fit for him to me.

9. zumiee said, on December 15, 2019 at 9:07 pm

“And now, he’s dressed in soot.” lulz
    The dude has a horse ranch in Arizona. He was hoping for Arizona all along. That’s fine.

• djloo27 said, on December 15, 2019 at 9:12 pm

How ironic are the lyrics?

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Hadn’t heard that song in a long time.

10. Macdog said, on December 15, 2019 at 9:35 pm

MadBum’s new manager is Torey Lovullo. Fun fact: His late father, Sam, was a producer on “Hee-Haw.”

11. snarkk said, on December 15, 2019 at 9:58 pm

I’m totally fine with Bum in Phoenix.
    He’ll enjoy it there. He has or maybe will buy a ranch out north of Scottsdale.
    Whatever. The memories of 3 in 5 won’t change because of this …

12. zumiee said, on December 16, 2019 at 12:19 am

Oh man, Florida…..
    “Dec. 12, 2019, 1:54 PM PST
    A Florida man, found eaten by an alligator this summer, died from a meth overdose before his body was ripped apart by the reptile, according to a medical examiner’s findings.”

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2019 at 5:14 am

the key here is that he died BEFORE he was eaten by the alligator. See? Maybe life doesn’t suck after all….

13. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2019 at 4:09 am

Giants play 7 of their first 13 vs. AZ including 4 game home series beginning 4/6…

14. Flavor said, on December 16, 2019 at 6:45 am

the more I think about this the more I think this was Bum’s best offer. Come on, who willingly chooses a place like AZ? Because he’s got some horses there? Please. That team is not set up to win. He didn’t go there for a ring. And the Dodgers could have easily outbid that paltry contract he signed. Hell, so could the Giants. So if he didn’t go there to win why did he go there? Spoiler alert: it was the $$$$. And in the end it turns out the underwhelming Wheeler was worth much more.

• zumiee said, on December 16, 2019 at 7:18 am

You could be right, but I also think you underestimate what horses mean to him and his wife.

• djloo27 said, on December 16, 2019 at 7:42 am

How come the horses and whatever else he has there were a secret till now?
      I disagree that it was his best offer – not that I would know…

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2019 at 8:07 am

So then what’s your theory about why he chose that random place?

• djloo27 said, on December 16, 2019 at 11:06 am

Don’t have one.
        Since when do I back up statements with actual facts?

15. zumiee said, on December 16, 2019 at 7:26 am

The life of an offensive lineman. When someone scores a touchdown, no one really wants you in their celebration. They may eventually wander over and hi-five you after they’ve finished their other choreographed celebrations. You just accept your paltry thanks and keep pretending it doesn’t bother you.

16. gianthead said, on December 16, 2019 at 8:35 am

Im not sure that in 3-4 years if we are competitive that Bum is going to be any good anyway… so hard reality to recognize that his arm and shoulder are not likely to be much more than a 3rd arm of a rotation…I loved Jason Schmidt but was happier than hell when the Flodgers threw their money at him.

Some Gnats fans here have made a good argument with them not signing Rendon that Bum would have made sense to sign and stick him in between Scherzer and Strasburg. I will not be surprised to those two deal with arm issues next couple of years and Bum would have been some insurance to tey and contend again this year. I can see them ultimately pursuing him before this trade deadline once the Douchebags fall again out of the playoff hunt…one thing for sure, Bum is probably going to hit 4-5 homers in AZ this year….good contest! I go 5 at home..

17. chipower9 said, on December 16, 2019 at 8:41 am

I am over it, although, in this one instance, I think maybe the Giants should have gone the extra year (if all being the same would have kept Bum in the orange and black). But, I am fine with it, too. As you said Flav, everything comes to an end, such as The Thrill, etc.

18. sfsarge said, on December 16, 2019 at 11:08 am

Would have been nice for him to stay. But, it was clear that The Farhan wasn’t interested in bringing him back. When I see him I will cheer loudly and be eternally grateful for 2014. What he gave us as Giants fans that glorious night in Kansas City is something that I will never forget.

19. alleykat69 said, on December 16, 2019 at 11:09 am

Best of both worlds Chi, you now can catch a Arizona/Giants ST game and maybe Bum pitches so you have the inside scouting report first on his stuff!
    Ahh ST in the desert 🌵 golf, swimming, river rafting,beers,hotdogs,Giants baseball ⚾️ in Scottsdale, old town nightlife..damm what’s the countdown at??

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 16, 2019 at 11:31 am

For me losing Bumgarner is a total downer but looking at the deal he accepted it seems like he would have stayed if he wanted to. I didn’t have any issue with Zaidi’s approach last year but it obviously rubbed a lot of vets in the clubhouse the wrong way. If I had to guess, Bochy’s departure probably weighed more in Bumgarner’s decision. If the club is going to sign any free agents it seems like now would be a good time to do so and change some of the public discourse.

21. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2019 at 11:50 am

At this point, everyone hates Farhan so I don’t think it matters what he does. Like Flav said, this is why the pooh-bahs hired. him. To clean house. I just hope (once again, that Belt and Crawfish leave. By hook or by crook.

Belt has SOME trade value.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 16, 2019 at 11:59 am

True and I don’t disagree. I’ve mentioned before that between Belt, Samardzija and maybe even Posey there should be some value to be found in a trade assuming the Giants eat money. Cueto will generate interest too if he can put together a solid 1st half. Crawford not so much unless he gets in shape and performs but he’s been on a downward trend similar to Panik and I just don’t see it happening.

22. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2019 at 1:55 pm

What exactly does a mega multi-millionaire do with a bunch of cows and horses?
    Like what’s the fuckin’ big attraction?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 16, 2019 at 2:29 pm

I think its sort of similar to the baby boomer motorcycle types in that 3-5% of the people involved are actually doing it for livelihood but mostly its just feeding a huge adult cosplay industry.

23. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2019 at 2:19 pm

He grew up in a log cabin his dad built. I don’t think he’s buying Maseratis and Porsches and diamond studded flunkies. He didn’t sweat the frst deal he signed because it was about 10,000 x more than he would ever need.

His dad and grandfather and I’m sure great grandfather were ranchers.

• djloo27 said, on December 16, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Love Street!

24. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2019 at 2:54 pm

heh heh . . .

25. alleykat69 said, on December 16, 2019 at 3:12 pm

One thing Bum might have trouble with is his snot rockets, not nearly as effective in dry heat and little moisture…

• djloo27 said, on December 16, 2019 at 5:15 pm

We’re gonna miss him more than we realize.
      If we were young, we’d be crushed.
      Like I was when they traded Cepeda.
      Still not over it…

26. alleykat69 said, on December 16, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Still crushed over Jack Clark traded for David “Fake Birth Certificate Green..

27. mrsprtdude said, on December 16, 2019 at 8:40 pm

baggerly said i the athletic that Bum told him back in July he wouldn’t mind playing in Az.
    Earlier guys here were throwing out 3/80. That he got $30 Mil less than Wheeler is a shocker.

28. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2019 at 8:44 pm

I think the Giants will have the worst record in baseball next season:
    57-105

• sandog said, on December 16, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Sounds about right to me.
      Trust the process Loo!

29. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Top to bottom the worst roster in the sport…

30. zumiee said, on December 17, 2019 at 3:47 am