Christmas Eve……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 24, 2019

Searching for content, I went back and looked at some old Christmas Eve posts hoping for something emotional and flowery–no such luck– at least not the first few years and that’s when I stopped looking. There was something amusing at the end of Christmas Eve 2011. I proudly announced that 12/24 post was the 600th at the blog! Woo hoo. I then claimed I’d be retiring at post 1000….

Today is post 3,321…..

Anyway, maybe there are some decent 12/24 posts after 2012 but I quit looking.

And doesn’t that kinda feel like what Z has done? Quit looking?

1. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:37 am

For some reason, I was wondering what happened to Panik.
    He’s a free agent.
    He’ll always have 2014, and the ring to show for it.

2. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:41 am

Matt Duffy got a 2014 ring also.
    That’s a huge deal.

3. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:43 am

Pence and Pillar are also free agents.
    Romo got signed by somebody.

• alleykat69 said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:57 am

He’s back with the Twins
      1/5mil deal

4. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:46 am

Petit is still signed by the A’s.
    Casillas is a free agent.

5. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:48 am

The Panda is a free agent.
    Parker is a Mets minor leaguer.

6. alleykat69 said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:54 am

And then theirs Marshawn Lynch just signed by the Seahawks ..
    Last seen serving tequila shots in the parking lot (December 15)to Oakland Raíder fans. Somethings kinda of cool 😎 about that.The guy shows he’s always about being a Oakland native…

7. willedav said, on December 24, 2019 at 10:00 am

Not much into Holiday Music but highly recommend Rahsaan Roland Kirk’s We Free Kings.
    Also book called “They Played the Game” by Norman Macht. Series of few pages worth of interviews with former players, some who go back as far as 1920s and 30s. Mike Marshall, quite unconventional guy who runs his own academies and pitched in adult leagues well into his 50s, insights alone worth price of admission.

Cheers and happy Holidays to all!

• zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 10:12 am

Thanks! And to you, too!

I haven’t read a baseball book in a while. I’ve been on a science fiction kick lately. I always end up returning to baseball books at some point, though.

8. Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 10:40 am

Marshawn Lynch signing with the Seahawks is awesome. I obviously want him to suck but what a story this is. And if he does well, which I can’t even fathom, it will be the story of the year.

9. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 11:19 am

Betances to the Mets.

10. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 11:23 am

What the Giants fans got from the Giants for Christmas:
    🙂

• alleykat69 said, on December 24, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Yeah Cole Hamels for a year might of been ok!
      Instead all they gave us was 14 AB’s from Darnell Coles back in 1991,yes black coal for sure…

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 1:04 pm

darnell coles. Wow. I was not expecting him to be referenced here at the Flap today.

• snarkk said, on December 24, 2019 at 2:01 pm

I would take a lump of coal over a load of crap 9-year Gerritt Cole deal for $325 million…

11. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 11:25 am

The Giants did hire a firstbase coach the other day. 🙂

• alleykat69 said, on December 24, 2019 at 12:43 pm

They never contacted me about my dismissal of 1B coach? Man that’s cold just before the holidays!

12. Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 11:58 am

this is insane to think about

• zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 1:40 pm

We live in such an outrageously enormous universe, it boggles the mind.
      In science fiction, writers came up with “hyper-space” drive for spaceships to cover such vast distances in a reasonable amount of time. But there’s no real scientific basis for hyper-drive…..yet.

• snarkk said, on December 24, 2019 at 2:10 pm

What is on the “other side” of the universe? Or, since the universe is expanding, what is it expanding INTO? I’ve explored that question on the internet more than a few times. I’m no cosmologist or physicist, but I can tell that nobody seems to have a very good answer to that. Some seem to answer it by saying its not an appropriate question to ask. To me, this is the ultimate metaphysical question. The vastness, near infinity of the observable universe itself is hard to understand and comprehend. Yet, if there is something or some dimension beyond it, that is where things get really really wobbly…

• snarkk said, on December 24, 2019 at 1:46 pm

The Fermi paradox has been gaining some popular resurgence lately, with all the bad news about climate change. The Fermi paradox is a conflict between the argument that scale and probability seem to favor intelligent life being common in the universe, yet there is a total lack of evidence to Earthlings so far, of intelligent life having ever arisen anywhere other than on the Earth. Some have postulated that any civilizations advanced of ours eventually all reach a point of technological development and sentient hubris that the life inevitably destroys itself and its home planet before it has the ability to develop interstellar travel. Humans seem to be on that plan…

13. snarkk said, on December 24, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Niners should tackle the ball when given to Marshawn Lynch. If you haven’t played football in a long time, you’re not used to getting hit. They should strip the crap out of him every time he touches the ball. Turnovers are gold…

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 1:46 pm

it’s just absurd to think this guy could be in ANY shape to play NFL football this week. But I do love Beast Mode, he was great for the game when he played. This clip always makes me LOL

14. unca_chuck said, on December 24, 2019 at 3:03 pm

Get in my backfield!!

15. Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 5:54 pm

Snarkk got me trippin’ pretty hard right now on what’s on “the other side”….. Pizza for dinner watching Elf with Katie. Good enough.

16. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Fun facts:
    Scientists believe the Earth is 4.5 billion years old.
    Our species, Homo Sapien, has been around about 200,000-300,000 years.
    The dinosaurs died off about 65 million years ago.
    Humans and dinosaurs weren’t even close to co-existing.
    There were animals like big wooly mammoths at the same time as humans, but those are extinct now.

17. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Yeah, the Fermi paradox would seem to indicate that no creatures of the universe have developed hyper-space drive.

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 6:41 pm

well I don’t understand any of this this but when Kirk pushed Scotty to take her to Warp 10 and Scotty wailed that the Enterprise couldn’t handle any more because she was about to break up but he did it anyway I feel like hyper space drive was achieved many times……

18. Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 6:39 pm

this is actually kinda badass. I’d go see a game here. Between the way Raider fans travel and this turning into like a *vegas show stop* I think they’ll have no problem selling out every game.

• Macdog said, on December 24, 2019 at 6:52 pm

Given that Vegas is such a popular tourist destination, it wouldn’t be surprising to see a lot of fans from the visiting team at their games.

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 6:55 pm

agreed. I don’t think they’ll have a home advantage. But I do think they’ll sell out every game

19. snarkk said, on December 24, 2019 at 7:00 pm

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 24, 2019 at 7:07 pm

Related to the Fermi paradox, the thing I can never get my mind past is the concept of nothingness. Difficult for human rational minds to understand infinity and the concept of space going on forever (as in, what’s on the other side of this universe), but my brain just shuts down when trying to envision *nothing*. As in, there’s nothing beyond our universe. How could space be endless, but how could there be nothing beyond space if space isn’t endless? What does *nothing* look like? Then I remember, it looks a lot like my normal weekends…

Christmas morning in Vietnam. Wishing all Flappers in the endless Flap Universe a warm Christmastime and even more so, 2020 vision in the new year….

21. Flavor said, on December 24, 2019 at 7:27 pm

and with this, a good night

• djloo27 said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:00 pm

If there is a God, the Chiefs win the Super Bowl and the Giants sign Puig…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 24, 2019 at 8:13 pm

I think this could be KC’s year, Loo. But then, I thought that last year too….

22. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 9:36 pm

I don’t see the appeal of nihilism. I guess the Arby’s guy finds something appealing about it, but it would be lost on me.

23. zumiee said, on December 24, 2019 at 10:37 pm

Love to all Flappers everywhere.
    This song by King’s X is called “It’s Love.” This song from 30 years ago still sounds great. Such a unique band. The song video is a little cheesy, but that’s alright.

24. Macdog said, on December 25, 2019 at 7:19 am

Merry Christmas to all!

25. willedav said, on December 25, 2019 at 7:36 am

re: “quit looking.”
    in the MLBTR column on Jays signing Ryu there is long discussion. One comment said they wasted the $$ because they won’t be competitive, and here is part of what southbeachbully replied:

“Isn’t it something to just ‘be better’?” Baseball talk has revolved around as if we’re accountants…there is something to be said more (sic) simply make improvements to put a better product on the field.”

I saw similar comments made by bloggers on this story at F/G, that at least Jays are trying to add to what they already have regardless. But SBB guy says exactly how I feel. When so many teams don’t make much effort to compete at all, it’s refreshing and imo good policy to try and do what you can to make incremental improvements to try and get better every year.

26. unca_chuck said, on December 25, 2019 at 8:32 am

We need to ‘be best’ am i right?